Carters, Inc Employee Reviews in United States

place to grow under the right leadership
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 2, 2016
Over all Carter's is a great place to work! The job responsibilities are extremely hard to maintain especially in high volume because you are not supported with much payroll. Be ready to re work your schedule weekly to adjust to the workload. Carter's is trying new things to work out a solution to the heavy workload. I feel like I can never catch up due to soooo much to do. Carter's has great leaders! They hire great people! The hardest part of my job is balancing the workload. The best part of my job is all the people I work with!
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
not enough payroll support to meet company expectations
Dynamic work setting with high importance for customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYJune 9, 2016
Carter's was a very dynamic work setting. Sales associates were often on the same level as the managers, having to adapt and perform many of the same functions. This allowed for us to learn a lot very quickly. Because I worked with Carter's when that location was opening, I was able to pick up many things throughout my time there. Most importantly, my job as a sales associate revolved a whole lot on keeping the customers happy and performing excellent customer service.
fun place to work
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 9, 2016
A typical day includes talking to your manger about what task that are needed for that day. I learned alot about folding clothes and the size of clothing. Management is really nice , most of the management is young, my co-workers are team players and are fun to work around. There is no hardest part of job, the most enjoyable part of the job is helping pick out adorable sets for new mommies.
Pros
discount
Cons
not enough hours
Productive & sophisticated work environment.
Runner (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJune 20, 2016
Amazing people to work with, very polite and nice to everyone that walked in the business. I learned great organization and filing skills, communication skills, and client management. My co-workers were very helpful and kind, always helped me with any questions that I had and assisted in any help that I needed.
Pros
No work on weekends, laid back environment
Cons
Strict with taking time off
Hours Suck. Management doesnt really teach they throw on you
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 25, 2016
This place is the worst place to work. You'll get 10 hours a week with a $150 check every 2 weeks. Management doesnt teach really anything they basically threw instruction and words at me automatically assuming I knew the meaning. The manager under the assistant is rude, gives attitude all the time and talks about customers behind their backs
somewhat stessfull enviroment. Had to ccommute at least 45 minutes
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Bend, WAMay 13, 2016
Although I liked this job it was not my favorite. A work day usually included, folding clothes, cashier and customer service, and promoting sales. the people were friendly but the employees were very prone to gossiping and making others feel less than. It was not a healthy environment for me at the moment. But overall it was a fun place to work at.
Pros
Everyone went on their respectable break schedules on time
Cons
less than 16hrs a week, for working
Fun, challenging place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTMay 12, 2016
Pros: Always a project to work on, mom's working hours, pleasant management, staff works together well

Cons: No guaranteed hours, short shifts

Overall, this is a great place to work if you plan to attend school or have a second job, or if you're a mom who needs some spending money and a break from kids. The management is helpful, friendly, and understanding, willing to help. Projects are daily, and the management encourages creativity and problem solving. Being self-directing is a must in this job, as you work by yourself much of the time. It's easy work if you have a good work ethic, with employee discount on merchandise.
It's a good starting point
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MNJune 2, 2016
Retail isn't a great/fun job. There have been many times when I wanted to leave because no one else wanted to work weekends or my availability did not meet the shifts I was given. Pay isn't great, minimum wage. How well my work day went, was who was the MOD. I feel like we are expected to do SO much within a shift but yet stay on top of the store and perform excellent customer service, it is almost undoable.
Productive and fun working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sicklerville, NJJune 19, 2016
A typical day at work were sometimes slow and sometimes busy. We would get around 20 boxes of shipment of day, but the crew that we had, we all made sure we got it done in a timely manner. I was apart of the management so one of the hardest parts were trying to make our sales goal on a slow day. The most enjoyable was helping expecting parents shop for their new bundle of joy.
What a joke
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Schererville, INMay 2, 2016
First off the management team seems great & nice at first but after being there for a while you start to realize the immature, fake, miserable lives they truly lead. There is SO much bad talking about other employees ESPECIALLY by management and also of customers. They racially profile all shoplifters regardless of they say they do or not. The she use is inconvenient & they have especially their on call shift that you will receive about 2-3 times a week. I've worked for other retailers and they are by far the most unprofessional and unorganized. One employee is expected to do the work of ten. And don't get me started on the attitudes. I wouldn't go back if my salary was doubled.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management and overall job in general
Do not apply for the cary,nc location
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 4, 2016
Do not work at the cary, nc location you will hardly get any hours you will get 5-15 but they may still cutt you even more. When it was around christmas/thanksgiving the store manager hired like 6 more new seasonal girl but the thing about that was how are you still hiring when the girls you have ain't getting hours so when she hired the new girl everyone that was a sales associate was getting like 4 or 5 hours a week so imagine 13 girls getting like 4 or 5 hours a week. So all the seasonal quit within 2 or less days. Plus there is a lot of not making the store goals a day so if you don't make goals you can't give hours. They call you at the last minute to tell you that you don't need to come to work. Ect. Plus the manager talk and gossip to much and give hours to the ones they like most.
Pros
FUN JOB
Cons
NO HOURS AND LOW PAY
Fun workplace, helping customers find the right outfits for their children
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, IN 46360April 23, 2016
I was a lead sales associate who helped management with training and sale floor plans. Usually after being clocked in you check out the sales plans and things to be done. Customers always came first no matter what needed done. We had mark downs, sale changes, along with wall and floor moves.
Pros
fun workplace, awesome people to work with always something to do.
Cons
Messed up Pay failed to apply raise after a month
Expected too much, discriminatory place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXApril 17, 2016
First at the location I worked at, I wasn't trained so that was helpful... not. Second, the place has 0 consistency; one minute someone works there the other minute they don't. Place is very discriminatory, customers a little harsh but do able. There is no such thing in team because everyone talks and doesn't trust one another. Overall just an inconsistent place with no room for learning in the retail business.
Pros
Discount on clothes, knowing the customers.
Cons
Hours sucked, management even worse
Enjoy the work, but good retail managers are hard to find
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 23, 2016
Overall, Carters has been an enjoyable company to work for in their stores. Retail store managers are few and far between, and there are a lot of young, immature people who have been there long enough to be given a store to run.

Generally speaking though, the benefits for full-time employees are decent, and the pay is better than most retail stores. I have been able to advance from Sales Associate to Assistant Store Manager within the year because I work hard and have an education with a professional corporate background. If you want to move up in this company, it is certainly possible.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, wages, good corporate structure
Cons
Young immature people with no education running the store
Fun fast-paced place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsford, NYApril 2, 2016
I love working at Carter's, its really fun and you get a lot of regular customers who only stop in when they're in the mood to shop. The management where I work is awesome. They really care about their Sales Associates and the company as a whole does as well. It is a very fast paced job for the retail setting, but that makes the hours go by quickly and in general the work is fun if you have a positive attitude.
Management expected too much
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYMarch 24, 2016
There is close to no advancement in the Flushing location. Management expected you to run around fixing things while assisting customers all on your own while they just walk around. There was alot of testing of competency where everything was times and high stress was placed on you for not working fast enough. Not all around worth it for the low wage. The manager is generally mean and sarcastic.
Pros
Once you leave, you're done with work.
Cons
Everything else.
great co-workers, but not enough hours
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAMay 22, 2016
typical day for a seasonal employee:
very easy and relaxed work environment. supportive co-workers. management cares about the store and helps clean up, leading by example.

hardest part of the job:
was being told that they don't have enough hours available to keep me.
Pros
everything!
Cons
not enough hours
Cut throat
Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 11, 2016
The upper management is disorganized and back stabbing. VP's talk about each other behind their backs. They act like a cult and don't believe in work life balance. The systems in place are poor or nonexistent. Directors have a "know it all" mentality and are not open to better ways of doing things. People are just mean and not friendly.
Pros
Nice building with open space and kitchens on every floor
Cons
Back stabbing, cut throat, no work life balance
Carter's PM Experience
Independent Project Manager/ Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 26, 2016
Carter's is a vibrant and innovative environment to be a part of. This is among the most knowledgeable groups I've had the pleasure to be a part of, with a high level of energy and engagement. Nonetheless, it is a demanding place, and very high pressure. Great experience to have, overall.
Very productive and Fun
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2016
I enjoy working at Carters. I enjoy being a manager and love my staff. The kids are also a joy to be around. A typical day at carters is receiving shipment processing boxes. replenishment of the sales floor daily, customer service and cash wrap etc.
Pros
Seeing the kids
Cons
shorts breaks and policies