Cascadia Behavioral Health Employee Reviews

Abusive management, impossible workload
Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 7, 2017
The management gives impossible workloads; my supervisor openly acknowledged that it was impossible to do all the required work within the 40 hours a week we were paid to work, but said I had to do it all anyway - and then pointed out that many of my coworkers worked unpaid weekends to get caught up and said it was an "option."

Management's policies target employees who stand up for their rights, especially those who favor unionization, and try to drive them out with petty abuse. Clinicians are required to perform tasks outside of their field and expertise, including watching people urinate, regardless of employee comfort. Personal boundaries were consistently ignored and actively attacked.

Cascadia prioritizes unquestioning obedience to the unethical management's decisions, rather than quality care for the clients.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
good coworkers being driven out in favor of inexperienced and docile new hires
Somewhat chaotic work environment with great workers
Program Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 9, 2017
People are great. Typical problems with non-profit programs. Seems to try to do everything at once and ends up doing most things in a decidedly mediocre fashion.
Intellectuals working to improve local community
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 22, 2017
Cascadia works to offer mental health and addictions support to the local communities of Multnomah, Clackamas, and Lane Counties in Oregon State.
Cascadia offers excellent paid time off benefits for employees working with at risk populations to affect change.
Pros
Paid time off
Good benefits package, terrible management, did not treat employees right
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Old Town, ORJanuary 20, 2017
I worked at the site in Chinatown, the old manager was awesome, the recent new manager was terrible, she was never here when staff needed her support, take it out on staff when she was upset, very unprofessional. Don't get me wrong, there are good employees in Cascadia but in general they are really petty about things, especially payroll and site management.
A place to be embraced and supported in professional development.
Wellness Case Manager / Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 1, 2016
I've learned more than I could have expected working for Cascadia. I was fortunate to come into a role that had never been had before which meant I got to help shape it into what it has become. Leadership has always encouraged me to work at the top of my skill set, explore other areas of the field, and to create the visions I have for our clients and community.
Interesting and fun
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 30, 2016
Good work environment. Supportive staff and managers. Everyday was different. The clients could be challenging, but also delightful.
Because it was not a typical work environment, it was very casual and laid back, while still observing protocols.

One drawback was not knowing when, or if, your position would be eliminated due to budget constraints.
Pros
The people.
Cons
Feeling of no job security
Backstabbers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 12, 2016
Some of the managers there complain about the smallest stuff . One person complains about a good employee, and all the other managers gang up and discuss in meetings, like a shark mentality. It spreads like an infection, so then they lose good employees. Their systems are archaic, and they blame good employees for it, instead of fixing their systems issues. An employee can only be as good as the tools provided.
Pros
Benefirs
Cons
Gossipy and backstabbing
Toxic
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Wood Village, ORAugust 1, 2016
First of all, Cascadia has had multiple Medicare fraud lawsuits, one as recent as this March, in a $93k settlement. They nearly closed down in 2008 due to fiscal insolvency and frankly I don't see much of a future for this organization or its employees.
In the ECFs, you're not so much a counselor as you are a babysitter/billing machine. No self-respecting behavioral health organization would impose 'quotas' and stretch the truth as far as Cascadia does to make money.
To boot, I've never met a more unprofessional group of so-called clinicians in my life. Boundaries and ethics go ignored, clients are bullied and bossed around; I remember an instance in which my own supervisor threatened to send a client to state hospital if they didn't "behave..." That is no way for a social worker, let alone a supervisor, to treat clients.
Speaking of the way supervisors treat people--much of the interaction between management and employees was completely unprofessional and at times downright childish. The morale of the office was chronically in the toilet and management only served to feed the gossip-mill by encouraging employees to constantly "tell" on each other. It left very little room for actual work to be done, and client care suffered greatly due to office spats and unprofessional nonsense. I hadn't seen such behavior prior to this since middle school.
But if you're looking for a slacker friendly job where you'll never be fired, this is the place for you. You can even sleep on the job without reprimand!
In total, this is not the place for you unless you are very entry level
  more... and perhaps desperate.  less
Pros
There may be a slim few there who actually care for the clients.
Cons
All of the above
No raises ever, low pay, high caseload
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 7, 2016
My supervisors are completely out of touch. They infantalize staff and clients. The pay is a joke. The big 30 cent raise they just offered was an even bigger joke. Ieaving after only a few months, I need professional supervision and a liveable wage.
Pros
Clients are amazing people
Cons
Pay, caseload size, management
Company does good work for the community but doesnt pay employees well.
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 28, 2015
My department is full of very experienced and knowledgeable people. Cascadia does amazing work for the community and I am proud to be part of that. My only complaint is they don't pay well and its my belief that the reason the organization does such amazing work with the community is because of its dedicated and committed employees. It is time to pay them what they deserve.
Diverse Workplace with Potential
Child and Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Portland OregonJune 22, 2015
Cascadia serves the local mental health population that is often under served. There are many branches to this company with great opportunities for it's staff.
Very positive work environment in spite of some of the darkness that may come through the door. Some of the clients have heartbreakinng stories
Peer Wellness Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 3, 2015
Meeting participants, making appointments to see apartments.
Barriers
Love people I work with.
Housing.
Rewarding to see growth of clients.
Pros
Great staff in my office, great management, getting to really understand and know our participants
Cons
Compensation, medical benefits, finding housing.
Grave is the pits
Residential Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2013
When I went to school for a Behavioral and Social degree never thought all it would do is get into a hospital watching people sleep. Not to mention for profit companies cannot guarantee a position.
Supportive learning environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  portland, orJuly 9, 2013
When I interned with Cascadia, the drug reps often brought the whole office lunch! I also had a great supervisor, and was given a diverse learning experience.
Pros
Supportive learning environment
Decent job, but due to being a non profit, I couldn't pay my bills.
Residential Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 26, 2012
Good people work here. Administration attempts to make the job easier, but it is difficult. It's easy to stagnate in this position, as you do not need or utilize clinical skills. Increasingly high expectations with no hope for a raise.
Pros
understanding administration, working for a non profit
Cons
studying for 4 years to scrub toilets