Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare Employee Reviews

Wonderful patients, poor management
Milieu Counselor, QMHA (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 21, 2017
My favorite aspects of this job were facilitating group therapy with patients. I could research materials for groups and then implement within the curriculum and mission of the non-profit. The groups I was able to plan and then execute included art therapy with supervision, social skills enhancing groups to build rapport and support networks between patients, chair yoga, baking, gardening in a community garden, and going on field trips to museums, shopping malls, and community events to practice the social skills learned in groups.

I did not care for management. They would make arbitrary rules that they would enforce only when it benefited themselves. They were flakey, cold, and not trustworthy. This lack of support from management made it even more difficult to process the unpredictability of working with patients with severe and chronic mental illness and manage the stress and emotional burn out that can sometimes accompany these kinds of roles.

Also the benefits were great if you were only covering yourself, but to cover my family would have cost more per month than I made.
Pros
Amazing patients, doing research and leading group therapy, doing fun activites with patients
Cons
Poor management, no family benefits
Environment that provides support to a much needed culture
Fiscal Program Analyst /GL III Accountant (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 10, 2017
The organization focuses on the needs of homeless, mentally ill, and addicted. This is a valuable organization that provides a necessity to the community
Wonderful team. Spotty management.
Case Manager/Counselor III (Current Employee) –  South of Portland, ORJune 8, 2017
I'm at a residential facility and it's hit and miss. Admin frequently downsizes necessary positions to "make room" for other necessary positions, as opposed to just hiring more people. I've been told that you must work 5 days per week (so no 4 10's). Management promotes/develops a strong team mentality, but regularly ignores requests for support from the team. I've seen employees have to threaten to quit to receive very much needed support (i.e. requesting HR involvement beyond a dismissive email).

I think this stems from being critically understaffed across the board in admins efforts to keep money at the top. They're working hard to promote inclusivity and encourage self-care in their training...but will definitely push clinicians to burnout with a shrug.
Pros
Salaried, benefits, competitive pay, skilled team, residents, flexible with groups/modality
Cons
Heavy on case management, misleading on clinical hours, frequently changing job roles/expectations, heavy caseloads, low support from admin
Great Company
Residential Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 16, 2017
This is a great company to work for, but has some issues with being short-staffed and high turnover rate. They offer great benefits, but lower pay than most (likely due to the great benefit package).
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Short-staffed, high turnover rate
Excellent staff, great moral structure
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 6, 2017
Cascadia is a great company to work for. They treat their employees with respect and offer a setting for employees to make a positive impact on the lives of the people they serve.
People care about the work that they do.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 2, 2017
My time at Cascadia offered me lots of valuable work experience that I will take with me where ever I go. The work can be challenging but very rewarding. You quickly learn that it is the people that make the job special.
Pros
Great Professionals that are invested in the clients they serve.
Cons
Wages are not very competitive with similar agencies.
Dedicated Service Providers
Secure Treatment Specialist II (QMHA) (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 9, 2016
Provided skills training and case management to individuals with SPMI. Compassionate and dedicated service providers. Difficulty maintaining self-care and a healthy work/life balance due to staff shortage.
a very decent corporation to work for
Residential Counselor QMHA (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 31, 2016
I enjoyed my time here and my autonomy. The company could do better with working with individuals with disabilities. There is little connection between the main office and the counselors in the field and it is unfortunate that they have no feel for those on the "front lines". I have not felt this disconnect at other mental health organizations where i have worked. The pay and benefits are excellent.
Great for experience, not much else.
Quality Management Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 23, 2016
This was a great experience, especially for my resume. However, pay increase is almost non existent, and not a whole lot is being done for this. Clinician's case loads are growing due to poor retention. I'm hoping certain aspects are fixed, especially with so many people that this organization provides care and services too.
HR is iffy, Staff are fabulous!
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Glisan StreetFebruary 26, 2016
The HR team does not keep their word when hiring new employees and negotiating positions.

The residential staff are amazing.
Pros
Training program
productive, fun, ever changing
program manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 4, 2015
Cascadia is an amazing organization to work for, the managers and admin are supportive and kind. I have felt supported and encouraged to develop professionally.
Pros
the people we serve
Cons
the pay
Rc ii
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 31, 2015
A typical day managers are hounding you about meaningless tasks. It seems like the managers are stuck in power dynamics. Co-workers are filled of drama, it's worse than high school. The most enjoyable part of the job is spending time with clients. Hardest part of the job is the pay....13.39/hr isn't enough to live. Most of the work is caretaking and cooking/cleaning. No job advancement possibility....but its sort of easy to keep your job if you play your part in the work culture.
Pros
low stress work
Cons
pay
Great people and amazing work environment.
Floating Secure Residential Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 25, 2015
Great place to work. They are focused on making there teams better and management is always willing to help people advance their career and grown. The job is difficult and and many burn out so be aware. The team works hard but is definitely understaffed.
Pros
Good team and good people.
Cons
Being frozen over a shift if a co-worker doesn't show is the worst thing ever.
mixed bag
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Portland ORMay 5, 2015
Cascadia offers many masters level clinicians their first professional experience. This often comes with high case loads, poor supervision, and low compensation. Cascadia has poor compensation and highturnover and has never made an effort to invest long term in development and retention of clinicians. Parts of the agency, particularly Project Respond, have an excellent culture and are great to work in.
Double standards and turnover
Residential counselor (Former Employee) –  PortlandApril 29, 2015
Pretty big company these days and still growing. A culture of not caring to understand the line/floor experience. Employees asked to provide assistance with new programs while established houses/facilities continue to not be fully staffed. Little done to retain quality other than providing overall decent benefits. Workers with real performance issues are not handled well.

Middle management not adequate, especially in residential settings. Many meetings occur to support their growth but they are barely ever hands on. In fact, it feels like a competition to see who can communicate with clients and lower employees the least. More positive attention is given to saving money than having good client outcomes. Issues with a "do as I say and not as I do" mentality surface as well.

One has to wonder how far up the line that goes, though the newest CEO is a lot better than the one previous, who nearly ran it into the ground.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
Employee culture
Productive and fast-paced work place
Residential Treatment Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 24, 2015
I've had the opportunity to quickly move up in a company where I am encouraged to work towards my strengths. I am supported when working towards my career goals, and am given opportunities to train other colleagues.
Great company and great services provided to our homeless population
Asset Manager - NE Portland area (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 26, 2015
Cascadia has wonderful programs for it's homeless population as well as mental health services. I learned a lot for on line courses provided to us free of charge; I learned a lot about mental health and different diverse cultures.
Pros
Education, great management and services
Cons
More staff needed to assist patients
Learning enviroment
Residential Counselor Ii (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 13, 2014
Will review later when I have more time. I am opposed to writing this review at this time. I enjoyed working for Cascadia but I am trying to spend my time looking for work not reviewing.
Pros
Able to use my degree
Cons
working night shift
Great Team
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 21, 2014
I worked with a great team, they made going to work enjoyable.
Pros
The Team
Cons
Dangerious clients
Okay Place to work
Residential Counselor 1 (Current Employee) –  Royal PalmMarch 16, 2014
Nice benefits, Free Bus Pass when you work at the Royal Palm. Never the same

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare Reviews by Location