Case Western Reserve University Employee Reviews in United States

Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 13, 2015
CASE was a great place to work as it offered great incentives as well as great benefits. CO-workers were great and had the ability to further my education
Pros
Great benefits
Mix of good and bad
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 29, 2015
The pay for the job title I have is good, but the problem is the title isn't a great representation of what the job entitles. So in reality, the pay isn't the greastest for what I actually do.

The work I'm involved is important to the security of the university, but we are not treated as such. In my department, it can be a very demanding, stressful environment with not a whole lot of reward and little help in improving the environment. Raises have been very small for everyone at the university, with the highest possible raise allowed being 2% in 2014 and 1% in 2015.

Other benefits such as medical, dental, legal, free education, etc are probably the best part of the time here at Case.

Yes, Case Western has great reputation for being an outstanding university and it is. The education that is provided here is excellent and I wouldn't tell anyone any different. But based on my experiences, if you're not a student, faculty, in a higher position or in a position with an "important" role (ex. researcher), then you're not seen as not important and can be treated as such. Not everyone above you treats you that way (including my manager), but it seems to be the rule vs the exception.

I'm looking at this position as a stepping stone in my career and I don't plan on staying at Case long term, but I am thankful for the experience it gave me.
Pros
Decent pay, good benefits
Cons
Work environment, tiny raises, little reward
Compensation
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 9, 2015
Employee compensation needs improvement. The amount of education and skills required for certain positions at CWRU do not equal the compensation.
challenging work place
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 27, 2016
Typical work day at Case Western Reserve is doing kinetic experiments in lab. I was learned many different experimental techniques in biochemistry as well as how to problem solve, analyze and troubleshoot through problems. Management was not extremely flexible in accepting new ideas. However, my coworkers were all very nice and helpful during experiments. The hardest part of the job was trying to balance what management wanted and also trying new things to answer and solve the problems on hand.
Flexible hours with great pay rate
Phonathon Caller (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 31, 2016
As a student, I appreciate the flexible hours and the reasonable pay rate. Minimum number of hours per week is 9 hours, but at times I try to fulfill more than the minimum. As a phonathon caller, I call to update alumni information and ask for donations. Overall, I cannot say there is a hard part about the job.
A Good Place to Work
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 25, 2016
Assist new employees to complete I-9 forms and Yearly tax info, I learn the different types of work Visas, My Manger very helpful if I had any questions he would answer all my questions, my coworkers were helpful too. The hardest part of my job is that there were times when it slow, It was hard to stay busy, the most enjoyable part of the job was every body got along and was willing to help each other.
Pros
Flexable schedule
Cons
Health care
Workplace experience
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 21, 2015
My experience within the college setting was very interesting for me; it allowed me to encounter different cultures and interact with the different cultures. The atmosphere was very polite and the staff was very courteous to all those in the hospitality setting .
Pros
Scheduling and work life
Cons
Break times
Didnt turn out favorable for me but wasn't bad. Excellent opportunity.
121 Fitness Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 6, 2015
Worked as the fitness center assistant manager. Job was fast paced at times, slow at others. Demands focus. Very high standards. Simply, being on time and doing your job effectively will obviously make things simple and will ensure job security. Members are varied across the board. Staffed by students and managers, both of which constantly change due to the nature of work or the demand from executive management. Students were undependable. Overall, I enjoyed my time here. Learned a lot about workplace politics and expectations.
Pros
Decent pay, Tuition reimbursement for job related area of study, Paid orientation and free lunch. Many different resources and perks to take advantage of.
Cons
High turnover in my department. High monthly parking rates.Limited alternatives for parking
Friendly Relationship
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 15, 2016
I worked in CWRU for around 7 years and knew many colleagues and researchers. There is a pleasant atmosphere and people are frank and friendly towards each other. We shared good relationships and collaborations which were beneficial for both sides. I am glad that it is a place where one can stand firm by helping each other instead of competing each other.
good environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 24, 2015
People are nice there, salary are good, and don't have high pressure like big city. quite enjoy the peaceful and slow pace life but still can find lots of entertainment.
Great and inspiring scientific environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 14, 2015
Research university focused on high level education and scientific research. It gives a great opportunity to grow as a scientist and expand your network.
Pros
Great and inspiring scientific environment
Cons
Low compensation
fun work environment
Ph.D., Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 5, 2016
Fun work environment where management backs up instructors when there are students complaints. Also provides instructors with a clear guideline of what the courses should cover.
Project Expriences
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 1, 2016
During the period here as a graduate student, I gained the experience on the operation of experiment and some testing equipment, which will strengthen my work ability in the future after graduation.
Overall Good
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 24, 2015
Good culture of learning; opportunity for advancement within is lacking. Compensation is not always competitive. Colleagues are very motivated & challenge each other.
Pros
Plenty of like-minded professionals; laid back atmosphere, but challenging
Student Affairs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 6, 2015
Good place to work. Most departments offer a flexible work schedules which is a HUGE plus. Assisting students is the best part of the job.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Compensation
'Was' a very good place to work
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 11, 2016
People were great 18 years ago and the environment was fun in ITS until about 8 years ago. We had freedom to explore technologies to get the work done.
I'm my own boss
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 30, 2016
I prepare and sale bakery items. The most enjoyable part of the job is baking and cooking which I am very passionate about. No co-workers currently I'm a one man band.
Pros
Happy and satisfied customers
Cons
Slow periods for bakery items.
It was a good experience for me.
Webmaster (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 16, 2016
I worked there for nearly 10 years. I got more experience when working there, and found another job that paid better. All things considered, it was a good place to work.
importance if customer service..
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  cleveland ohioMay 1, 2015
Fairness, department moral supervisor who believe in and invest in. there employees. Advancement within departments, are very important structural tools departments need for success. Typical day at case on my feet all day, outdoors all weather elements with a smile (positive attitude). What I have learned, how people are becoming non social today, how customer service is more needed in business world today. (just a simple hello). Management wasn't the best ..My co-workers 75 percent great group of people. Hardest part of the job, working in the elements between Dec to Feb artic-temps and dealing with department structure, Most enjoyable part of my job was helping and filling the gaps in the students lives.
Pros
the people
Cons
no gtowth
nice people, and good doctors
Managed Financial and Administrative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 15, 2015
Wonderful place to work. Top notch doctors. Centrally located. Easy to get around campus. Good benefits, good pay scale. Good vacation and sick allotment.