Case Western Reserve University Employee Reviews

Great working environment
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 23, 2017
I enjoyed my work stay at Case the staff were great to work with and the Patients were excellent. I learned a great deal and the used my experience for their purposes also. Great facility!
Pros
great environment for working
Cons
little pay
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 6, 2017
I would enter the office and greet my co-workers. I would sit down at my desk and look over my task for today. I would insert data into FileMaker, copy transcripts, solve technology problems. I would handle students affairs. Coordinate with the Dean. I would talk to the technical team and see if they needed anything.
Pros
Flexible Time
Cons
Short Breaks
Great job if you can get in
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 3, 2017
Case Western is a great place to work if you can get in/stay in. Unfortunately some departments are solely reliant upon external funding so if it changes positions tend to get cut
Nursing Department
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 29, 2017
Best School ever, working for case was like being at home, the staff made me feel like family, leadership is great and coworkers amazing. Students are getting the cream of the crop go Case!!
An extremely interesting group of co-workers and supervisors who were very helpful and friendly.
Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  2829 Euclid Avenue • Cleveland, OH 44115March 14, 2017
I have worked with people at all of my previous places of employment, and have enjoyed getting to know a very diverese range of people. I work very well with other people. I also work very well alone. I am flexible and can work outside the job duties.

I am a very organized person. I am punctual and don't mind working later than my schedule.
Pros
Getting to know a wide range of people
Cons
I worried about grant funding.
Work-at-home transcription
General Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 11, 2017
I worked at home for the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine as a medical transcriptionist for projects via the internet using audio equipment and programs such as Fusion and Core FTP.
Pros
As needed and worked at home
Cons
payment was words per minute, which not enough for income
Great people. Great benefits.
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 26, 2017
I have been at CWRU for three years and I am very happy here. I recommend it to anyone. The people are supportive. The benefits are great. I enjoy my research, my advisors, and my fellow graduate students.
Excellent place to Work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Glennan Building room 101January 27, 2017
Case Western Reserve is an excellent place to work. Every day has unique challenges and rewards. I have the opportunity to work with wide ranging materials (i.e. semiconductors, metallic alloys, ceramics, polymers, biological) which makes the position as an Engineer in the Swagelok Center for Surface Analysis of Materials exciting.

I have gained much experience in TEM, SEM, XPS, Auger Spectroscopy, and many techniques involving XRD.

My co-workers are extraordinary. We feed off each other in knowledge and work well as a team.
Pros
The diversity of the work makes everyday interesting.
Cons
Very large work load for an academic setting.
useless review
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 26, 2017
I am not qualified to review Case Western. I worked as a research assistant in a lab for a semester and it was great and i like the professor i was helping.
Fun and collegiate office environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 16, 2017
The department back offices were relaxed and friendly. My various asks kept me busy throughout the day. I enjoyed organizing the filing systems, working on grants, and helping out the team in general.
Pros
Friendly and intelligent coworkers
Cons
Part Time Position
Fun group to work with
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 12, 2017
You encounter a variety of people being in a university environment. There is an opportunity to further your education, as well as a host of other opportunities Case has to offer.
I was just a contracted worker
Accounting Clerk III/ Vendor Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 20, 2016
I enjoyed my task and the department I was in I wish it would have worked out better for me and I got hired in but the supervisor I had at the time was very immature and she made the department fall short on her decisions but in all it was a great experience
Great experience
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 12, 2016
Professors are nice and knowledgeable. They help students achieve their goals. Co-workers are very helpful. You cannot miss it if you are considering a gradate school.
Productive and great place to work!
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 26, 2016
Case is a great place to work, especially if your fresh out of a dental program. Case offers you an opportunity to learn beyond anything you learned in dental school, because you experience hands on Monday thru Friday. It also gives you an opportunity to meet people from all over the world! Case provides many different serves in dental such as Oral surgery, General, Pediatric, Orthodontic, Endo, etc.
Pros
One hour lunches, and you work Monday thru Friday.
Would love to go back working there
Research Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 25, 2016
It's a multicultural academic place. I loved there.
Unfortunately, the jobs heavily depend on the funding.
I had the best boss in the world. He is a family medicine doctor who loves research. He trusted our work. We had total atomy to work on our own. We met once every month to report our work. Every quarter, we meet for brain storm about writing all sort of papers on the data we collected. He made our job so much fun!
Pros
Our boss made our work so much fun
Cons
When NIH funding is over, we lose our job.
Staffing with Contractors
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 25, 2016
As is the case with most departments on campus, CWRU has been stuffing their rosters with contractors on a contract-to-"hire" basis. As a result, the pay is considerably less than what you can expect at peer universities and institutions and far lower than anything in the private sector.

Benefits do not kick in until three months after the contract start and we receive subpar benefits as a contractor than other full-time employees at CWRU.

Condescending remarks to contractors is frequent. Get sick? Well, take some sick time! Oh wait, contractors don't get sick time. Well, take some time off! Well, we don't get paid for time we don't work. So showing up to work sick is a frequent occurrence. We know we are contractors, don't insult us further.

CWRU would be an amazing place to work if they put forth the effort to hire full-time employees and pay them a living wage. It's a laid back environment with few demanding pressures, and the dining options nearby (if you can accord it) are within an easy walk.
Pros
Culture is laid back.
Cons
Too many contractors with no promise to go full time.
Exciting core research
Senior Technical Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Upton, NYOctober 17, 2016
There was no typical day at work. Every day was completely different from the previous.

Learned about synchrotron x-ray beams. Core research of biological samples. Monochromator refraction techniques. Working with cryogenics, Ultra High vacuum systems.

Management overall was satisfactory.

Co-workers and myself formed a very cohesive team. Our entire focus is about the science.

There was no "hardest" part of this job. The paper work was boring, other than that, nothing

The most enjoyable part was coming to work every day.
A fantastic research-focused experienced
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 6, 2016
Case Western Reserve University is an expansive and diverse school with numerous opportunities and resources. It is a leader in research and employs many great scientists who I have had the pleasure of learning from.
Its challenging and productive work with staff members and clients. Pleasant environment and excellent benefits.
Department Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 1, 2016
Very productive work with staff members and clients. Excellent supervisors to work with. Professional and pleasant environment. Excellent benefits and work life balance and job security.
Friendly, diverse working environment
Mobile/ Facility Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 27, 2016
Some days are busier than others, but overall most days are fairly steady with the number of calls from our wonderful dispatch team. I am always trying to extend my knowledge within a company or my individual specific tasks. This position is fairly self-explanatory, so I attempt to meet as many new faces as possible while on shift. I work for one of the best managers. He is helpful, knowledgable, and very consistent. More often than not, I work alone. On the rare occasion that I work with others, my co-workers are helpful and extremely friendly. The hardest part of my current position is walking up many flights of stairs, but I do not mind the extra daily workout. I really enjoy interacting with students and getting to meet faculty members.
Pros
Very laid back work shift, excellent benefits, and numerous opportunities to network.
Cons
Not much for room for promotion and not at all challenged.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Case Western Reserve University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2