Casey's General Store Employee Reviews in United States

Fun to work if the team there is enjoyable
Sales and Kitchen Associate (Former Employee) –  Mantorville, MNJanuary 23, 2016
Usually you have regulars (customers you see everyday, every few days, or consistently at 10:42 AM on Tuesday, for example), a few people from the neighborhood, and the highway travelers. You're expected to hold a 30-second meaningful conversation as you work with people, which is understandable as people have their own agenda and places to be. Its an easy way to earn some money while getting to know the local jokers or the guys that come in late on their way home.
Pros
Lunch discounts, friendly management (usually)
Cons
No benefits under full-time, Low wage for time spent, chance for advancement is low for a part-timer
Loved Working Here
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Linn, MOMarch 18, 2016
A decently busy store. I always seemed to have something to do and that helped to pass time quickly. I learned a lot of team skills here. The current manager is great and easy to get along with. The workers are the same way. The hardest part of the job was dealing with pizza orders at our busy time, but the customers are great and easy going.
Pros
1/2 price food, raises, benefits for full time
Cons
no part time benefits
Love This Job!
Kitchen and Register Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 20, 2016
Casey's is a wonderful company to work for great full time benefits and now they are offering part time benefits.

There is room for advancement the company is always needing assistant managers.

Starting pay is great!

Gives you the opertunity to learn many new skills such as Register, Kitchen, Ordering product, Bakery, costumer service, and so much more!

Your Coworkers become family.
Pros
Benefits, Great Management and Coworkers, Fun, Team Work, Family
Cons
Short Breaks
fun working place with hot pizzas
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Doniphan, MOFebruary 2, 2016
come to work and run cash register or cook pizzas or make sandwiches for customers. i learned to cook pizzas and run the cash register and count money. the management there was awesome. my co-workers were fun to work with. the hardest part of the job was closing cause there was a lot to do in a short amount of time. the most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with customers.
Pros
plenty of breaks
benefits
Small convenience store in a small rural town
Sales Associate/ Food Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Paw Paw, ILDecember 28, 2015
My duties included preparing food, running the register, training other employees, stocking and rotating product, and providing excellent customer service. I mostly worked the night shift and made food for the to go orders. I learned how to think on my feet and how to deal with customers. The management is above average for a small town. The hardest and most enjoyable part of my job is making food and helping customers at our busy hours.
Pros
Easy, busy work
Cons
No benifits
Great company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Haysville, KSMarch 17, 2016
advancement opportunities. flexible schedule that works with school schedules. great pay. didnt really have benefits unless you were a manager. caring. loving. supporting team mates as well as management on any goals made.
Pros
pay and caring
benefits
Amazing work place when ran by professionals
Cashier/Kitchen Help (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 20, 2015
I've worked at two different Casey's general stores and they both operated very differently. The one in Silver Lake operates almost at what I think should be considered prime operations, but the one I worked for off California in Topeka made me feel very nervous especially considering everything I'd been going through at the time. Having lost my place to live, and having to skate everywhere. It wasn't the type of work environment I've been used to. Though for the most part, and after moving back to Silver lake I realized some people just kind of freak me out and make me realize things about them that I almost feel like I never should have. Though overall I believe Casey's to be a very good company with great benefits that made me feel very comfortable while I worked there, but the people that I was working with did make me feel very uncomfortable. At least the ones in Topeka.
Pros
Cup, Free drinks while on duty, and employee discounts
Busy on weekends, bored during the week
Pizza maker (Former Employee) –  Arlington, NEFebruary 24, 2016
Lots of cleaning and cooking, you're in the kitchen making pizza, making sandwiches for the cooler, preparing vegetables for pizza and next shift. If you are not in the kitchen you are helping a customer at the register or stocking up the drinks in the cooler. Make sure your area is clean and orderly.
Pros
Meet great people everyday
Cons
no benefits
Awesome job for people who enjoy working with food
Kitchen worker/ floater (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, ILFebruary 15, 2016
Making Pizza is awesome. It gives you some sort of creativeness about making someone's food and making it taste the best it can possibly be. However Casey's doesn't give your props for creativeness or wanting to grow in your position very much
Pros
good wages, benifits if full time
Cons
doesn't let you be creative
Friendly Work enviroment
Over-night Cashier (Former Employee) –  Danville, INOctober 29, 2015
It was a wonderful job with friendly co-workers that were treated like one big family, the job itself was often fast paced and definitely required time management but it did have its slow moments. Regardless, there was always something to do and plenty of interesting interactions.

I enjoyed it for the variety, you never knew what you would be doing when you came in that night. Plus, I learned pretty much every position and was able to fill in last minute shifts.
Pros
Friendly, Good variety, Close to home
Cons
Wasn't able to get health benefits, constantly changing employees and management
fun job
2nd Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  West Peoria, ILFebruary 11, 2016
I as the second assistant manager there was taught a lot, from not only working in a lot of departments, but how to manage a business. a typical day for me was coming in and helping with books or something with order.
Pros
Benefits where great
Cons
They like to give out correction of actions
I loved my job at caseys
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INJanuary 20, 2016
I loved my job and the customers at caseys,would still ne there today if some unforseen events had not had happened.I loved my customers and co-workers
Pros
EXCELLENT BENEFITS
Cons
POOR UPPER MANAGEMENT
productive, and fun place to work
Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Augusta, MNOctober 13, 2015
A typical day at Caseys General store is overall easy. The customers are great. I'v learned that communication is key when talking to the customers. Management is great, they are easy to work with. I really do not talk to my co workers because I am there to work. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the customers when they get upset. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what the customers want and building a friendship with them.
Pros
50% of certain foods
Cons
no benefits for part time employees, short breaks
Great work enviorment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 10, 2015
Wait on customers help them with anything that they may need help on. Count money in safe and document information. Help any other employees when needed in the kitchen. Management always able to work with what ever life may throw your way, always caring about everyone. I loved working with people and seeing that I made there day great.
Pros
Seeing cusotmer happy
Cons
part time, no benifits
Terrible Management
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Odon, INSeptember 13, 2015
The Casey's where I was located is an absolute disgrace to this company. Management was poor, the store was never cleaned the way it was supposed to be. The workers who completed their jobs correctly and on time are treated very poorly, while those who barely do what they're supposed to get pampered and praised.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
No time off work to spend with family
Love the job. Management needs work.
Cashier/Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Rolla, MOJuly 8, 2015
My job requires me a lot of interaction with customers. I mostly work in the kitchen where I am responsible for all of the food made at Caseys General Store. I am also responsible for keeping the kitchen clean and organized as well as keep track of temperatures. I used to be a full time cashier before the stores hours got cut to no longer being a 24 hour store. I rang up almost every customer that came into the store, kept the store clean and organized, I was responsible for all customers paying for fuel inside and preventing drive offs. I was also responsible for all monies going in and out of the safe during my shift. I have done freight as well and have experience checking product in.
We are not allowed to discuss the day to day frustrations of our jobs as per company policy. I will leave it as I love my co-workers and will be sad to leave them behind.
Pros
job security
Cons
little to no benefits for part time workers
One of the worse places I have ever worked for
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Independence, IAJune 15, 2015
I worked for this company for awhile. I would go above and beyond for them and all they care about is money. I only got a quarter raise while working and I was a part of the management team. The manager at my store in was a real piece of work. She would sit on her butt on her phone all day long, only get up to flirt with male customers. Pathetic. They changed the starting wage to 9.00 a hour and that's what I was making and did not get a raise. They told me I was no better then a normal employee I just gave the manager a break when I did books every other weekend. I was not important and that came from the district manager.
Pros
customers
Cons
worthless upper management
Decent company and ok pay.
store associate (Former Employee) –  Watertown, SDJanuary 6, 2016
Casey's is a decent company to work for but most co-workers tend to be lazy and full of excuses. Management is very slack(not good) and also lazy, and did not show appreciation for workers that did do a great job. The hardest part of this job was trying to not only do my own job but pick up where others lacked. Some days I felt I was doing three to four peoples jobs including my own. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the customers and seeing the enjoyment they felt when eating the food I prepared for them!
Pros
Great customers!
Cons
Poor management, No appreciation or advancement, lazy co-workers
My boss was only of my favorite person to work for, he really cared for his workers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 29, 2015
-A typical day at work(in Kitchen)- as I get customer walk in orders for subs, make those, as pizza orders came in, make those, in between get stuff/supplies ready for the next day, clean as the shift goes on, stock/refill supplies, and delegated closing duties(wipe counters,sweep,dishes,and mop)
(Cashier)-Handle customers needs as they came in, stock items throughout the store, fill cooler, trash(inside and outside), clean coffee machines, count the safe and my drawer, sweep, mop, and bathrooms.
-My management was great to work for, they were good hearted people and cared about the employees'
-My co-workers were also great, I still keep in contact with them.
-The hardest part of this job was putting in my two week notice
-The most enjoyable part of this job were the customers, I had customers' come in everyday to see me and check up on me and how I was doing.
Pros
Free Lunches, and Dinners
Cons
No Benefits unless you work 40+ hours
Professional atmosphere, with friendly faces.
Cashier/Cook/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day starts when I put on my Casey's smock. I clock in and check in with the manager or assistant manager to find out where they need me to start out. Often times they will put me right onto a register to start ringing up people's purchases. But, other times, they will send me into the kitchen to make pizzas or help stock and clean the prep areas or ovens.

I am very happy where I work with the management team. They have been helpful & meticulous trainers, and my biggest supporters for advancement and retention. The hardest part of this job is that you do have to lift and move large boxes, this is no problem for me, but some people can not do the lifting.

Which brings me to my co-workers. I am really lucky because I work with such terrific, positive, happy people. We are really like a small family, working together for our little part of the Casey's world. I have learned a lot since coming to work for Casey's and have appreciated each persons dedication to "our" store.
Pros
Positive atmosphere, Half price discount on Casey's food items to eat while in the store, Free drink while working, Friendly people to work with
Cons
Some co-workers are not as meticulous as others which leaves parts of their jobs undone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Casey's General Store. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9