Castle Medical Center Employee Reviews

Transformation
Reimbursement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kailua, HIJune 18, 2017
A great family feel workplace when I first joined.

But a corporate overhaul has transformed the culture away from the family feel. New corporate standards are being enacted that are more reflective of the mainland.
Pros
Great associates to work for
Cons
Corporate initiatives sanitizing corporate culture
great teamwork
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kailua, HIJune 15, 2017
Strong team work; multi-disciplinary focus on great patient care; always learning new tricks of the trade from fellow teammates; management hears concerns and does their best to address issues
Castle Medical Center
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  O‘ahu, HIMay 24, 2017
Work/life balance was highly encouraged, but definitely challenging based on your department needs. The Adventist healthcare system uses a holistic approach to help their staff meet their basic needs. The facility did offer a host of classes (i.e. cooking, exercise) to motivate ppl to live healthier lifestyles. Maintaining a sense of spiritually was highly encouraged, regardless of your religious background. Surprising to most, you do not have to be a Seventh Day Adventist to work at their facility.

Overall, good team work among co-workers and management. Management and administration have created various ways to acknowledge ppl that go above and beyond. The majority of the physicians are approachable and easy going.

Administration is very visible and approachable.

Facility has EMR, CPOE and an electronic incident reporting system.
Pros
Celebrates Physicians, Nurses and hospital week.
Cons
Only vegetarian food served in cafeteria
The greatest part of the job was assisting patients and community members.
Business Associate II (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIMay 20, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of registering patients to the hospital or department. My coworkers were outstanding team players and very knowledgeable in their field. Each department consist of Managers and Directors. The place had some up and downs like any company you have to deal with different personalities and management styles.
Fast-paced, ever-changing environment
Emergency Department Technician (Current Employee) –  Kailua, HIApril 28, 2017
A very fast-paced work environment that oftentimes requires focus and an ability to juggle multiple tasks at any given time. A strong focus is on teamwork.
Needs work
Healthcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIFebruary 8, 2017
Keep looking. You will find your perfect job out there. This is not it.
While receiving daily indoctrination about how healthy Castle is to work for, actual conditions are anything but healthy.
Pros
Location close to home
Cons
nonexistent breaks, no comp time, admin unresponsive to frontline staff
Prn
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 12, 2017
might work two hours.
how to process urine specimen and read the results
management was good
no coworkers work along between two offices
nothing was hard
pay
Pros
pay
Cons
no health insurance, and wasn't perm
Nice environment to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJanuary 11, 2017
This is a nice and friendly hospital to work for. The hospital staff is very accommodating and are always available. Even the patients were nice and easy to work with.
love and caring from the worker, visitor and patient
Cook & Food Preparation Worker Honolulu (Former Employee) –  640 ulukahiki st.,Kailua Hi. 96734-4498January 10, 2017
the food that we cook and serve is vegetarian so excitement to work at the hospital. worker are caring and responsible.you will feel joy to your work specially when you recieve a appreciation from the patient and management.
Pros
we have breaks, medical insurance every monitor for our health
Cons
no comment
Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 1, 2016
Challenging work atmosphere with different opportunities for personal growth as well as growth in regards to career goals presented daily. Abundance in different certifications and skills advancement available through the company while providing insurmountable opportunities to strengthen weaknesses as well as sharpen current strong points.
Medical Director
Executive Director, Hospitalist Program (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIMarch 2, 2016
I was Medical Director of Islands Hospice which is a 400 patient home hospice program. My duties included management of all patients and conducting weekly interdisciplinary meetings to review all clinical care.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Salary
Behavioral Health
Behavioral Health Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kailua, HIFebruary 22, 2016
Very different unit compared to a regular medical floor. Learned a lot from staff to patients. Very busy unit-phone calls, admissions, discharges, doctors orders.
Family work environment
Admitter (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJanuary 21, 2016
When you work at Castle you instantly have a large family. Coworkers are there to support you and give you help when needed, and I for them. Duties include, but not limited to, patient check in/register, copay/billing, insurance verification, input/update data/information to patient records and customer service. Management was always there to help out and answer questions. Wonderful place to work.
Social Services Coordinator - Human Services
Social Services Coordinator - Human Services (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIOctober 20, 2015
I was the chief of social work at Castle for 25 years. Was on hiring committee for Human Services, trained, supervised, and did yearly evaluations for social workers and case managers, performed discharge planning, individual, family, and group therapy, customer relations, public relations.
Pros
Excellent hospital - part of Adventist Health Care - national chain.
Best place to work!!!
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIAugust 25, 2015
Castle Medical Center is an incredible place to work. If I had not have needed to move back to the mainland I would still be there. The atmosphere is very inviting, everyone is incredibly welcoming, friendly and willing to help you fit right in.
Pros
Atmosphere, vision and mission
Cons
I couldn't have stayed there.
My time as an RN
travel RN, staff RN in the ICU (Former Employee) –  kailua hawaiiApril 5, 2015
I worked many years at Castle medical Center, and enjoyed my life as their employee. Recently my need to move closer to my son in California has forced me to reassess my work environment. At this time in my life, I wish to try something different then nursing.

I learned to work as a team player at my job, in Hawaii, although I did bring it from Rhode Island, and my former jobs, we worked as a team. I enjoyed my job the most when I made a difference in my patients condition, my assessment and expertise with identifying symptoms that may impact the condition. The most difficult part of the job, is not seeing my patient improve, all other issues, including higher up management, never truly affected my job performance or the treatment of my patient.
Pros
Giving intensive care and making a difference with my patient.
Cons
I honestly can't think of any really cons.
Home Care -ridiculous place to work
Home Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  KaneoheMarch 28, 2015
If you have choice, don't work there. Some staff are very nice but intake nurse has Bipolar! She talks to herself and screams at you for no reason! Directors of that department does not last long, overpowered by the old timers! No respect for each other and gossips.
Pros
Provide parking for employees.
Cons
Old timers wants to prove that they have more power than new comers.
Super great place to work, everyone is always happy and smiling. Extremely clean. Mahalo to our housekeeping staff.
Mammographer, Quality Assurance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kailua, HIJanuary 11, 2015
A typical day at work is always being greeted by your co-workers with a smile, I have learned the meaning of Aloha here. This place is true family no matter what happens personally or professionally we deal with it together. Family is always first, this is the most loving understanding organization and it has been a true blessing to work here. I can't say one negative thing about Castle. Truly wish I didn't have to leave.
Pros
Aloha
Cons
Started out good.....ended very bad
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIAugust 16, 2014
I had a great time working at Castle, till the management shift and then, I was ousted in a way that no person should ever be treated. Accusations were made and no proof was provided. No real answers on why I was let go and being there for so long, I felt I had deserved at least that much. Management was done in a threatening manner and poorly.
Not a good place to work.
Pros
Vegan
Cons
Non Vegan; No real voice there;
Engaged workforce and true to mission
Diagnostic Service Line Director (Current Employee) –  Kailua, HIJuly 9, 2014
Castle Medical Center is dedicated to providing the highest quality patient care through an engaged workforce and remaining true to their mission. We value compassion, integrity, quality, stewardship and family. Our hospital supports heath education, spiritual growth, community growth and family unit preservation.
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Little room for career advancement beyond Director Level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Castle Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Castle Medical Center Reviews by Location