Catamaran Employee Reviews

Catamaran no longer exits. It merged with Optum in 2016.
Client Services Manager/Client Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 27, 2017
Catamaran no longer exits. It merged with Optum in 2016.

At the time, because of rapid expansion and the new Cigna contract, Catamaran was overwhelmed in many areas and often failed to meet its high standards, such as responding to all emails within 2 hours.
Pros
Great teammates
Cons
Many dysfunctional areas, due to rapid expansion
management pick and choose regular employees over temps.
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Avon, OHFebruary 25, 2017
the temps here are treated very bad by the hired worker, we were required to attend meeting that only pertained to hired employees, even there was treated bad our questions was snarled at. we want to know answers to thing in case we were ever hired. we were put in a area buy our self and stood over like prisoners.
Pros
learned some things while there
Cons
temp no benefits
A good place to work.
Member Services Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJanuary 14, 2017
Catamaran was a good place to work. There was close communication between managers, supervisors, and their teams. The work was important, helping our customers understand their health benefits and helping them get the medications they needed in a timely manner.

Catamaran was bought by Optum (United Healthcare) shortly after I retired. They now operate as OptumRx. Many of the supervisors and team members are still working there, but I don't know what it is like working for under the new company.
Pros
Strong bond between co-workers, free coffee in the lunch room, and frequent activities or contests to keep the job interesting.
Cons
The job requires you to stay at your desk, on the phones, at all times except for breaks. The desks were not ergonomically designed, so this is not good for your physical health.
Terrible Company
Medicare Prior Authorization Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 29, 2016
The pharmacy prior authorization company kept hiring through a staffing agency and not training their employees. Needless to say the company shut down our department and now they have only a few locations open closer to the east coast that can process prior authorizations.
Great place to work, very inviting.
Healthcare Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Ahwatukee, AZNovember 3, 2016
Great place to work, but was only there thru a temp agency. I would go back if given the chance to. The people and company was a great place to work and would be a place someone would want to wake up and go to work everyday.
Pros
Environment, helpful, clean, great material/teaching.
Cons
N/A
It was an ok workplace
Member Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILMarch 21, 2017
Very frustrating trying to get customers their prescriptions especially if there was a Autorization req and we had to get it overided and that took alot sometimes.
Pros
own cubicle
Cons
short breaks and lunches
Same company
Pharmacy Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 26, 2017
I am still working for at the company. We are currently merging with OptumRX. Everything still applies with this company. I simply just was promoted to a higher position and company name is changing.
coworkers
Customer Service Rep/Sr. MSR (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJanuary 9, 2017
I worked with a great group of people we had to combine departments and with the changes that happen everyone handled the change very professionally. I really enjoyed the team i worked with.
9 of 10
Senior Pharmacy Technician III (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLNovember 16, 2016
Working for Catamaran was has been a pleasure, hard to find one just like it. We had great professionals. Co-workers had become really good friends. I really miss them. Sad that management decided to close our Miaramar location.
Great employer until bought out by OptumRx
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Avon Lake, OHAugust 2, 2016
Catamaran/OptumRx was a great company to work for until recently. the staffing was amazing. The management was so helpful. and the knowledge i gained from working here was something that will help me grow in the Pharmacy Tech field. a Typical day started for me at 8:30am where i would sit at my cubicle and translate and process prescriptions that were mailed in by patients, faxed in by doctors, or electronically sent over by doctors. the co-workers were the greatest group of people ive had the pleasure of working with. the hardest part of the job was honestly nothing, it was a great job with great learning opprotunities.
Great Place to work
Client Liaison/Lead (Former Employee) –  Dimondale, MIOctober 25, 2016
Very busy, always something to do. I moved positions fairly quickly. Lots of merges with other PBMS. Lots of drama in the call center environment
Pros
worked as a contractor with the state of Michigan
Cons
Not an office in Michinga
Growing company fun place to work
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILAugust 19, 2016
Catamaran was a fun and fast growing company with good pay and good benefits. There were plenty of opportunities for advancement. There were often free lunches and motivational events.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
company merged with Optum Rx and is no longer a good place to work
Productive and Fun
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 7, 2016
Working for the catamaran company was a fun learning experience.
A typical work day consist of many things but not limited to filling, payment posting, etc. My manager was very tough but fair, all of the co-workers got along it was like a little family.
Good company to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILDecember 5, 2016
This was a good company to work for. Good work hours and flexibility. Nice Management team with lots of experience amongst them. Not sure how they're doing now.
good work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85044October 14, 2016
The Work environment is nice but management sucks. They're not professional at all. They treat you like you're a little kid.
Workday
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 22, 2016
Inbound calls from patients to schedule deliveries. I am not sure of what else to submit. The company as a whole was great. No issues with coworkers. Made some great relationships there
Productive and fun work place
Member Service's Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ/Salem, ORAugust 22, 2016
Managers and Co workers were great. I learned a lot about people, medication, and more about health insurance. Over all a great experience.
Broken Promises
CSA (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 17, 2016
This company will tell you whatever you want to hear. Be prepared to be just another warm body in a seat! The pay is OK, but its not enough for everything they want you to be skilled for on almost a weekly basis. They switch policies everyday.. not consistency.
Fun fast paced and upbeat environment
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 24, 2016
Catamaran was a joy to work for. After being employed there for going on 1.5 years I learned a lot and was able to grow as an individual both within my work ethic and personal life. I had made a lot of great connections and learned a lot of system training which now helps me in my everyday life. If it were not for this place I would have not had the interest to pursue my writing and knowledge base of Microsoft excel/word processors. I definitely would have love to stay however for re-location issues I did resign. I will always be thankful for the information I learned being employed at Catamaran!
Great company to work for
Pharmacy benefits manager (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJuly 1, 2016
Decent compensation. I loved my schedule. Back to back calls, very fast paced envirnment. Great management, clean environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catamaran. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7