Catawba Hospital Employee Reviews

Discharge placement back to community is goal for all patients
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Catawba, VASeptember 6, 2017
CSBs difficult to work with. (Poor communication)
Need more staff on off tours: Dangerous with staff numbers, Increased risk to staff of injury.
Unit managers need to be more supportive to supervisors. Need to work together to weed out the lazy and troubled staff with no work ethic
Enjoyable part of job is staff supporting each other when numbers were short.
Catawba supervisors went above and beyond to assist staff in keeping jobs and conducted this effort equally for all staff levels.
Pros
Hospital location, good food, great prices for food, Staff supports each other in emergencies
Cons
Staff numbers on off tours
okay
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 8, 2017
It's okay, I guess it depends upon what department you work in.. People were okay to work with. Hours were okay. Didn't like having to get a flu shot every year.
working
CNA (Former Employee) –  Roanoke County, VAJuly 21, 2017
working at Catawba requires you to have no life outside of the workplace. management doesn't work with staff to resolve issues or listen to a complaint. scheduling is a big issue as dayshift members have to work all off shifts but evening/night shift don't have to be able to cover daylight. pay for the work done is far from competitive
How life can change
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VAJuly 20, 2017
The couple of jobs I have had here,were a learning experinece,the people are very nice,also once you learn the pateints,there are nice to talk to .I have learned how to treat people nicer that are alittle bit different.You get to learn more about how the brain can change in life.
Pros
Our dept.Has lunch from the outside, We throw dinners, Etc
Cons
Shortbreaks, Sweat alot
Fun place to work in low stress environment.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VAMay 21, 2017
This low stress job is a really nice place to to settle down and make a career out of your job. Unlike most maintenance jobs, there is no constant stress and generally no absolute emergency situations. The entire staff is generally friendly and I have met quite a few life-long friends in my time here. The direct supervision is the only downfall of the place in my tenure here, as most of the senior staff has a great deal of seniority but that has changed and I feel that my opinion on that will as well.
Pros
Very cheap lunch and breakfast ($2-3), great, friendly staff, beautiful scenery, excellent benefits especially time off
Cons
lacking supervision, old facilities
Great working environment with amazing co-workers
Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 7, 2017
Catawba Hospital has great management. I have learned and gained many experiences throughout the year I've worked there. The workplace is pretty enjoyable, filled with amazing people, no one rushes you to get your work done!
Pros
cheap breakfast and lunch than most work places
Cons
short breaks
different floor
CNA (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 27, 2017
Catawba is like stepping back in time. everything is on paper not on the computer. sometime you don't know where you going to be at. different floor be pulled. or are you going to be working with somebody or not.
Pros
the insurance
Cons
being pulled
worst place to work
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Catawba, VAMarch 29, 2017
The benefits are very good but the work environment is unsafe and the management does not do their job to ensure a positive workplace plenty of time off but cant use due to understaffing
No Good
FLOOR SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJanuary 19, 2017
Management was messed up, makes you work on everything ,saving money for management people, prejudice and racist, smiles at you but stab you in the back.
Pros
none.
Cons
everything.
One of the best jobs I've ever had
Staff (Former Employee) –  Catawba, VANovember 22, 2016
I absolutely loved working at Catawba Hospital! Most of the staff are great and genuinely care about the patients. It can be a very stressful work environment, but your coworkers support you and make it more bearable. There isn't usually a "typical" day when you work in mental health with patients who are in crisis, but there is a structure and schedule that makes the days somewhat predictable. The management are quirky at times, but I believe they really care and I found them approachable and helpful.
Pros
friendly coworkers, state benefits, absolutely beautiful campus, great food
Cons
low pay, high stress
Catawba Hospital
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VA 24070August 27, 2016
The co-workers here are awesome. The hospital however is severly understaffed and the hospital is in serious need of repair and updates.
Many of the senior staff is due or past due for retirement which makes it difficult to allow for streamlining processes as they are set in there ways.
There are more patients than can be sincerely attended too.
State benefits are helpful but all salary and benefits below standards compared to the private sector.
Longevity in this environment is tenous at best due to lack of funds to properly run the facility so jobs long term are doubtful.
Pros
Kind, hardworking employees, decent benefit package, beautiful wooded campus
Cons
too much work and too little staff, low wages, outdated facility
Severely understaffed, bullying culture
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Catawba, VAAugust 17, 2016
Unsafe conditions in an antiquated facility. Poor staffing (RN 1:30, NA 1:15). Facility is completely on paper so charting is written in multiple places (triplicate). Poor leadership, managers are uncaring. Lots of nepotism within the facility. I can't believe they haven't been forced to close.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
Poor staffing, bullying culture
Loved the patients and employees
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VAMay 4, 2016
I enjoyed working with the patients and with other employees. Schedule is demanding as day shift positions are required to cover for other shifts.
Not enough Staff
Psychiatric RN (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VANovember 11, 2015
Severely understaffed. Difficult to get job duties done and care for pt with staff available. People are nice, but I do not feel like staff or patients feel safe.
Pros
nice people
Cons
unsafe due to low staff
Its fun and fulfilling
Internship (Former Employee) –  Catawba, VAMay 8, 2015
This job gave me a whole new respect for mental illness patients and the team that works together to develop a treatment plan to suit each individual patient.
Worst place to work for CNA's
Certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Catawba, VADecember 31, 2014
I love the benefits of working at Catawba. Such as good nursing staff working well together and the health benefits. Other than that the upper management does not care about the well-being of their nursing staff they treat you like dogs as if you are expendable. They let the patients talk to you and treat you like dirt with no repercussions for their actions. If you are hurt on the job by a patient they do not want you to press charges against the patient they will tell you that if you do they will be repercussions for your actions. You do not get raises and if you want a raise they tell you to go apply to another job and if they offer you more money they will match it that is the only time you will get a raise. Do yourself a favor and run from the hills do you not work at Catawba!!!
Typical work place--no better, no worse.
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VADecember 30, 2014
I've been a nurse for a while and traveled around, so that gives me an advantage, at least in my mind. Every workplace has it's pros and cons. This place is no different. It really depends on what you are looking for and what is important to you. If great management who is visible and knows what's happening before you do is important to you---then maybe see if they have something else that's equally important to you; such as benefits package. If following the chain of command is important to you, then at this place maybe look at the pto and other time off you can accumulate! Really, it's all dependent upon what you need for you and/or your family.
Pros
State benefits/PTO, etc
Cons
Short staffed
Mental health is not for everyone
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VADecember 13, 2014
I love helping people and wanted the experience in mental health, I love working at Catawba, however they do not offer a spot for Medical Assistants.
Very fun and interesting
Certified Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  Catawba, VAAugust 21, 2013
Learned alot of behaviors and great experience. Great team to work with.
Pros
Food great, and co-workers great work with
Cons
Mandatory overtime as you clocking out
Working at Catawba Hospital
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Catawba, VANovember 7, 2012
I work everyday with mental health patients. I work with the elderly and young patients also. The ultimate goal is for patients to return to community living. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the patients leave the hospital and resume their daily lives once again.
The hardest part of the job is when the patients keep getting worse mentally. They fight,curse and hurt themselves at times. I have a great group of people to work with and we get our jobs done on our shift. We bath,feed,change patients,shave and get them ready for bed. We take the patients outside when it is nice for 15 minutes.
We talk to our patients and take care of all of their needs.
Pros
health insurance, vacation, sick leave and family leave.
Cons
we are need more certified nursing aides.