Catawba Valley Community College Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent strategy to enhance college opportunities
recruiter for adults (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 30, 2016
My responsibilities included recruiting high school graduates of Color to become students at CVCC to earn a Certificate or Degree.

I spoke at a variety of venues including civic, church, and business locations to create awareness and seek out potential students.

I worked administrative, Department Heads, as well as other programmatic colleagues.

It was a very good place to work, particularly enrolling many new students.
Pros
The ability to help people.
Cons
Depended on state funding.
cvcc
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 30, 2015
we worked one on one with the tutees. didnt work much with the management unless something was wrong. worked there for five years with quite a few students in english math reading and psychology
Small community college with great student body
English and Reading instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 14, 2015
As an adjunct teacher at CVCC, I worked with a variety of students, offering instruction in reading, composition, and grammar. My greatest pleasure was seeing students overcome their own personal learning hurdles as they advanced through their programs.

The other staff members and faculty are a great group of people, and I enjoyed working with them. However, being a small college means CVCC is constantly working with tight budget constraints as well as state-mandated changes to the curriculum.

The toughest part of being an adjunct instructor is all of the time that is spent outside of the classroom. This includes planning, grading, and record-keeping, all of which is un-paid for part-time educators. In addition, adjunct instructors do no qualify for any benefits through the college.
Pros
Teaching is a rewarding career and offers a chance to give back to the local community.
Cons
Being an adjunct instructor requires countless hours of time to be spent outside of the classroom, and this time is un-paid. There are also no benefits (healthcare, paid leave, etc.) for part-time employees.
The culture of the campus is gradually changing to for the better, but work remainsto be done.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 27, 2015
Instructors are allowed a modest degree of autonomy when conducting their classes. Creativity is encouraged by the President as a means of broadening the scope of what the school does to make it more appealing to more groups.
The president has an open door policy for staff and students that helps to facilitate communication. He is well respected by students for his accessibility.
The school is coming to terms with the need to adapt to an ever growing multicultural community in a local economy that is re-emerging. The relationship that has developed between the school and local businesses is strengthening each semester as more courses are being taught that meet local needs.
I love my job because I am allowed to introduce ideas that encourages freethinking.
Pros
Instructors are encouraged to think outside the classroom.
Cons
disconnect between middle managers and the campus environment.
Great workstudy experience with awesome people
Workstudy student (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 12, 2015
i was a workstudy student. I would organize paperwork, update and make spreadsheets, run errands, keep important files up to date. I learned how to conduct myself in a professional setting around professional people., Management was great I really learned a lot from them. There wasn't anything hard about this job. I worked with awesome who made everyday a good one.
Got me started in the education business
Physics and Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 13, 2012
It took a bit of time to re-acclimate myself to the academic environment. After all, for years I worked as an employee performing most of the work during working hours. Now it was up to me to prepare lectures and grade materials. All of that was done at home. Eventually, one thing that I learned is that older students require a lot of repetition. Younger minds are more adaptable. Older minds are stuck in 2nd gear.

Management was cordial and unobtrusive. They let me get the job done. My co-workers were very cordial and helpful. The hardest part of the job was enduring sometimes obstinate minds who insisted on having things their way. Normally it took a bit of time to win them over. The most enjoyable part - having good rapport and earning their trust, WHICH I DID!
Pros
preparation of documents with department secretary. departmental tests. nice facilities
Cons
not enough facilities for part time teachers.
Professional Tutor and Adjunct Accounitng Instructor
Learning Skills Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 20, 2013
My current position is that which is listed above. My goal is to supplement my income by teaching Internet accounting courses for various institutions. Catawba Valley Community College is an outstanding place to work. I work in the Learning Assistance Center, where I am employed as a math, Accounting, economics, and English tutor. I must be prepared for any situation as I do not make appointments, so there is no such thing as a typical workday. Management is very supportive and encouraging. My co-workers (for the most part) are very cooperative and work well with me. The hardest part of the job is trying to tutor students who do not want to be in school and do not see the value of education. The most enjoyable part of my current position is meeting different students with different backgrounds and helping them develop their confidence in a given subject.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
sometimes the demand by students can be overwhelming.
I learned I worked I moved on
Developmental Math Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 13, 2015
As a student CVCC pushed me to succeed. As an employer CVCC kept me on a tight leash in the ways I could assist students. (mostly the Math Dept Head - now changed) I enjoyed the opportunity, but it was the students not the math I was trained to teach and older students did not fit into the adolescents I was trained to educate. I loved working at CVCC. I hated to leave, but it was time to move on. Their budget restraints just made it easier for me to do that before I intended.
Pros
Friendly colleagues and staff
Cons
contract work semester to semester for part-timers.
Part Time Teaching
Part Time CNA2 Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 28, 2014
No students = No job.
Enjoy Teaching this class. Program is long but that is states rule.
Poor Management.
Pros
easy money
Cons
no students= no class
Engineering student, also worked as a college algebra tutor.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJune 12, 2012
I tutored college algebra seven hours a day, to three students per week. This maximized my mathimatical skills and improved my ability to communicate with my students on a higher level. In turn my organizational skills were improved by my scheduling abiility. My coworkers were eager and engaged to learn new statergies. The most difficult part was confliting schedules between my students schedules. The most enjoyable part was witnessing their success.
Pros
dramatically improved my calculus grades.
Cons
organizing my own personal study time.
Catawba Valley Community College
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 28, 2013
I believe CVCC offers a great Health Care Management program and I look forward to receiving my associates' degree
Cvcc
Tutor (Former Employee) –  TutorApril 21, 2015
I was a tutor at Catawba Valley Community College. I was able to set-up my own hours on when I could help other students.I was a temporary job at the time.
A great place to connect with students
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 19, 2014
We manage open computers at lab room every day, be able to support end users (95% is student) to solve computer issue relate to their homework or test we are not telling the the correct answer)
The best key to describe this job is patient, some users they don't know exactly what to do, and we have to solve them step by step
Pros
simple tasks
Cons
no cons
Excellent Place to Work and Grow
Job Creation Center (Former Employee) –  HickoryNovember 19, 2014
Catawba Valley Community College is one of the best places I have had the privilege to work for. It is a caring work environment that strives to enrich the lives of not only its students, but faculty and staff as well. It is place you can wake up and enjoy going to do each day, knowing that you have a higher purpose.
Part time Instructor
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, ncJuly 28, 2012
Great People and open to communication. Came in and started class. Taught and learned alongside the students and co workers.They let you handle your course your way. Teaching is not easy, students especially older students will judge you and attack your character.
Pros
good pay, good people
Cons
seasonal and part time only
Productive, fun and satisfy workplace
Education Technician (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 10, 2014
I learned a lot of things from this job that I never know before. This job enabled me to use all my education skills to do. Faculty people who work in there are very friendly and funny. I wish I could know them early.
Teaching adults
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 7, 2012
I would have class two-three days a week. I would instruct on word-processing, typing or transcription.
I really liked my supervisor.
The hardest part was giving an "A" student a "B" because she had a low participation score due to absences.
Pros
teaching adults
Cons
it was only part-time
Local Alma Mata
Adjunct Instructor, Computer Programming (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 9, 2013
Taught various classes at the community college level. Enjoyed the interaction with students and faculty.
Pros
was local to my home, limited driving
Cons
not enough classes to please me.
Dental hygiene student
Dental Hygiene Student (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 3, 2013
in depth study of dental hygiene
provide prophylaxis to adults and children
full mouth debridements
Scaling and Root Planing
Treatment plan presentation
Nutritional Counseling
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJune 5, 2012
I love helping people learn what they need in order to understand the class and pass.
Pros
i get to set up my own schedule.

4.3