Catawba Valley Community College Employee Reviews

Rewarding when students accomplish there goals.
GED/AHS Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 25, 2017
This is the absolutely the worst school to work for with no advancement in the basic skills department. The students are amazing and work hard to accomplish there goals
Pros
Helping students
Cons
No advancement
Teaching was rewarding
Registered Nurse Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 6, 2017
Had many different reviews of paperwork so there many areas to evaluate individuals but the work was very rewarding because you could teach areas of expertise.
Do research before you work for the cosmetology department
Full time Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  newton , NCMarch 7, 2017
I worked as a full time cosmetology instructor for cvcc and discovered that within 6 months 3 other instructors had walked out. The program head expects you to stay after the students leave and climb ladders and clean vents and wipe down walls. All this happens weekly. The classes leave at 3pm to 4 pm but you will stay until 9pm to 10pm on a regular basis.
All I can say is please do research. People do not leave jobs, they leave bad bosses.
Benefits
Cons
Long Hours, Bad Manager/Boss
A good place to work
Chinese Professor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 21, 2016
The students here are great to teach. They worked hard and learned Chinese very well. It was a good teaching experience.
Easy Hours
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 24, 2016
Tutoring requires no previous testing on the subjects, which I personally think should be done before they just let anyone tutor students that need it.
Pros
Easy time slots
Cons
cannot group tutor / tutor more than one student at once
Excellent strategy to enhance college opportunities
recruiter for adults (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJanuary 30, 2016
My responsibilities included recruiting high school graduates of Color to become students at CVCC to earn a Certificate or Degree.

I spoke at a variety of venues including civic, church, and business locations to create awareness and seek out potential students.

I worked administrative, Department Heads, as well as other programmatic colleagues.

It was a very good place to work, particularly enrolling many new students.
Pros
The ability to help people.
Cons
Depended on state funding.
cvcc
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 30, 2015
we worked one on one with the tutees. didnt work much with the management unless something was wrong. worked there for five years with quite a few students in english math reading and psychology
The culture of the campus is gradually changing to for the better, but work remainsto be done.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 27, 2015
Instructors are allowed a modest degree of autonomy when conducting their classes. Creativity is encouraged by the President as a means of broadening the scope of what the school does to make it more appealing to more groups.
The president has an open door policy for staff and students that helps to facilitate communication. He is well respected by students for his accessibility.
The school is coming to terms with the need to adapt to an ever growing multicultural community in a local economy that is re-emerging. The relationship that has developed between the school and local businesses is strengthening each semester as more courses are being taught that meet local needs.
I love my job because I am allowed to introduce ideas that encourages freethinking.
Pros
Instructors are encouraged to think outside the classroom.
Cons
disconnect between middle managers and the campus environment.
I learned I worked I moved on
Developmental Math Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 13, 2015
As a student CVCC pushed me to succeed. As an employer CVCC kept me on a tight leash in the ways I could assist students. (mostly the Math Dept Head - now changed) I enjoyed the opportunity, but it was the students not the math I was trained to teach and older students did not fit into the adolescents I was trained to educate. I loved working at CVCC. I hated to leave, but it was time to move on. Their budget restraints just made it easier for me to do that before I intended.
Pros
Friendly colleagues and staff
Cons
contract work semester to semester for part-timers.
Great workstudy experience with awesome people
Workstudy student (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 12, 2015
i was a workstudy student. I would organize paperwork, update and make spreadsheets, run errands, keep important files up to date. I learned how to conduct myself in a professional setting around professional people., Management was great I really learned a lot from them. There wasn't anything hard about this job. I worked with awesome who made everyday a good one.
Cvcc
Tutor (Former Employee) –  TutorApril 21, 2015
I was a tutor at Catawba Valley Community College. I was able to set-up my own hours on when I could help other students.I was a temporary job at the time.
Small community college with great student body
English and Reading instructor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 14, 2015
As an adjunct teacher at CVCC, I worked with a variety of students, offering instruction in reading, composition, and grammar. My greatest pleasure was seeing students overcome their own personal learning hurdles as they advanced through their programs.

The other staff members and faculty are a great group of people, and I enjoyed working with them. However, being a small college means CVCC is constantly working with tight budget constraints as well as state-mandated changes to the curriculum.

The toughest part of being an adjunct instructor is all of the time that is spent outside of the classroom. This includes planning, grading, and record-keeping, all of which is un-paid for part-time educators. In addition, adjunct instructors do no qualify for any benefits through the college.
Pros
Teaching is a rewarding career and offers a chance to give back to the local community.
Cons
Being an adjunct instructor requires countless hours of time to be spent outside of the classroom, and this time is un-paid. There are also no benefits (healthcare, paid leave, etc.) for part-time employees.
Excellent Place to Work and Grow
Job Creation Center (Former Employee) –  HickoryNovember 19, 2014
Catawba Valley Community College is one of the best places I have had the privilege to work for. It is a caring work environment that strives to enrich the lives of not only its students, but faculty and staff as well. It is place you can wake up and enjoy going to do each day, knowing that you have a higher purpose.
A great place to connect with students
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 19, 2014
We manage open computers at lab room every day, be able to support end users (95% is student) to solve computer issue relate to their homework or test we are not telling the the correct answer)
The best key to describe this job is patient, some users they don't know exactly what to do, and we have to solve them step by step
Pros
Simple Tasks
Cons
no cons
Part Time Teaching
Part Time CNA2 Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 28, 2014
No students = No job.
Enjoy Teaching this class. Program is long but that is states rule.
Poor Management.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
No Students= No class
Productive, fun and satisfy workplace
Education Technician (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 10, 2014
I learned a lot of things from this job that I never know before. This job enabled me to use all my education skills to do. Faculty people who work in there are very friendly and funny. I wish I could know them early.
Dental hygiene student
Dental Hygiene Student (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaDecember 3, 2013
in depth study of dental hygiene
provide prophylaxis to adults and children
full mouth debridements
Scaling and Root Planing
Treatment plan presentation
Nutritional Counseling
Local Alma Mata
Adjunct Instructor, Computer Programming (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 9, 2013
Taught various classes at the community college level. Enjoyed the interaction with students and faculty.
Pros
Was local to my home, limited driving
Cons
Not enough classes to please me.
Cvcc
Certified Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 17, 2013
I was told I work too many hours. Did not appreciate the time and work and was givent to them.
Professional Tutor and Adjunct Accounitng Instructor
Learning Skills Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 20, 2013
My current position is that which is listed above. My goal is to supplement my income by teaching Internet accounting courses for various institutions. Catawba Valley Community College is an outstanding place to work. I work in the Learning Assistance Center, where I am employed as a math, Accounting, economics, and English tutor. I must be prepared for any situation as I do not make appointments, so there is no such thing as a typical workday. Management is very supportive and encouraging. My co-workers (for the most part) are very cooperative and work well with me. The hardest part of the job is trying to tutor students who do not want to be in school and do not see the value of education. The most enjoyable part of my current position is meeting different students with different backgrounds and helping them develop their confidence in a given subject.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Sometimes the demand by students can be overwhelming.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catawba Valley Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2