Catawba Valley Medical Center Employee Reviews

Rewarding and Enjoyable
Adherence Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Conover, NCJune 16, 2017
Each day is a new day with new opportunities to help others and to make a difference. I enjoy getting to know the patients and helping them to reach their treatment goals.
Great place to work and nurse oriented
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 10, 2017
This facility places a lot of focus on self improvement in order to maintain high standards of care. Great place to work, pay not very competitive for a magnet facility.
Great Job, Not a Career
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCApril 22, 2017
I love working for the hospital, though it is very difficult to get hired on and almost impossible to be promoted within the company. There is poor management in some departments and extraordinary in others!
Friendly atmosphere
EVS Tech II (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 21, 2017
I loved my coworkers. I loved getting to interact with the patients. My supervisor and I had a difference of opinion on easier ways to complete the daily tasks. Overall great place to work.
Pros
Cons
Supervisors
Great place to work.
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 26, 2017
Great place to work. Never a dull moment. Great employees to work with. Supervisor was always willing to pitch in if needed and always available for help.
Pros
Sick pay, close to the cafeteria
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 22, 2016
I love Catawba valley medical center however their pay rate is extremely low. The people are very caring and the patient care is great. The organization and communication could use a little help. A new director was just hired so there could be a possible change in that department. Overall, a great place to work.
Pros
Great care and people
Cons
Pay rate
wonderful place to work
CNA II and PT Tech in hospital setting (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 26, 2016
Work at this hospital any years. Learn any skills from skilled staff. Enjoyable place to work.Highly recommend.
excellent place to work
medical technologists (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMay 3, 2016
Catawba was a very professional place to work. There were incentives for school and to go the extra mile. Employees were appreciated and allowed to enjoy coming to work knowing things would not be pulled out from under them or taken away with no explanation.
Pros
free lunches, professional award system, ability to advance. trained students
Cons
Some employees attendance were not good, and as a supervisor I was constantly finding replacements usually on the phlebotomy level.
Absolutely loved this job
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCMarch 28, 2016
A typical day was very busy. There was always something to do. I learned a lot from my experiences with not only medical issues but also from my patients in general. My co-workers were wonderful.
its not that bad of a place to work but not that good either.
ER Nurse (Current Employee) –  Erlanger, NCMarch 22, 2016
if you want to deal with drunks and Involuntary patients all the time its the job for you. Management will not talk or help you with the things that need to be changed.
Pros
the police department is laid back for sure.
Cons
it depends on which rotation is working weather you get help or not.
Magnet award winning healthcare hospital
Pre Registrar (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 2, 2015
I am proud to say that I served as a part of such an astonishing establishment as Catawba Valley Medical Center. At CVMC, you were not just another employee- you were family. And, Catawba treat everyone as family- both employees and patients the same. I am thankful for the experience that I had to serve with CVMC.
Pros
Employee health programs, great health insurance benefits, employee service awards/recognition just to name a few
Cons
There are no jobs available here in South Carolina to transfer from CVMC.
Fun place to work
Nuclear Medicine Tech (Former Employee) –  Nuclear MedicineAugust 31, 2015
Fun place to work. Treated employees well. Gave cafeteria discounts to employees. Decent benefits. Always had up to date equipment and kept it in great running condition.
Pros
Cafeteria discounts
Great place to work, great people to work with
CCU Charge Nurse / Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 9, 2015
4-time Magnet hospital with staff at the forefront to care for patients and their families. Management always has an open ear to staff suggestions. Catawba Valley Medical Center operates solely on Evidence Based Practice.
Efficient and accurate specimen collection
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCAugust 7, 2015
I've worked here and learned the proper techniques to collect specimens. Typical day at work, I come into work and stock my cart ready for the nights work. Working weekends on 3rd shift, there is only another person and myself who has the responsibility to draw blood on a timely matter. This include ER to all the hospital levels 1-7. Co-workers are awesome plus I'm an easy person to get along with. Hardest part of the day is knowing you have a hard patient to draw from. But, it's also the most enjoyable because we're able to collect the specimen knowing our duties will save the person life.
Overall an excellent employer
ED Chart Analyst/Reimbursement Manager (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 27, 2015
I loved working at the hospital for over 10 years. The last couple of years were very difficult because of many changes in the organization. I loved my co-workers and I got along well with everyone. The most enjoyable part of my day was being able to help elderly people get to the department they needed to go to. They were always so sweet and appreciative. It's also one of the hardest parts of the job because the patients might be in the ER struggling to hold on to life or the saddest is when elderly are there and have no family members or friends with them. I enjoyed working at the hospital.

I can share more if you would like either by telephone or in person. Thank you.
Pros
Reduced lunch prices in cafeteria, nice bonuses, education readily available and paid for if needed, overall the HR dept. did excellent job with employees.
Cons
Many work areas are not adequate for working in for 8 to 12 hours a day, Having to be very close to radiation machines all day is scary also
Enjoyed the atomosphere where I was able to help others
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCJuly 16, 2015
While working in the heath care profession I was able to assist others with preventative/ restorative care in their lives and the lives of their loved ones. I enjoyed bringing a since of completeness to the individuals I cared for.. I learned that every scenario is always different no matter how similar the cases may be. Not all employees are there necessarily for the best interest of the people they were to service, but I could make a difference. Management was there to make sure all individuals were serviced with the best intentions, and remember to do the job always with a smile. One of the hardest parts of the job was the census we had to follow, if their was not enough patients then workers would be either put on call or call off work for their shift. In my opinion the most enjoyable part of the employment was seeing positive personal growth for the individuals and their families no matter the situation.
Pros
Ability to assist with positive personal growth of individuals mental and physical health
Cons
Some employees were not there for the positive growth of the individual, some employees needed training in people skills
Overall good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 12, 2015
I worked for this company twice and learned a lot of the skills I still use today there. I had great coworkers that pulled together as a team to get things done. I was in a position where I had no growth potential and was a bit disappointed in the management at the time
Good employer
customer service (Current Employee) –  hickory, NCFebruary 17, 2015
Overall a good place to work. Good benefits, affordable insurance. I have always felt blessed to work here. However, in my department management was lousy and there is absolutely no room for advancement.
Excellent place to work
Radiology Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCNovember 2, 2014
I worked for CVMC for 12 years and truly enjoyed every minute of it. I would work here again if I ever moved back to the area.
Catawba Valley Medical Center
NAII (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 29, 2014
I Really enjoyed working at CVMC. I woorked as a CNA II. I learned that teamwork is key.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catawba Valley Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4