Caterpillar, Inc Employee Reviews

Great work/life Balance
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Morton, ILOctober 1, 2015
Caterpillar provides a diverse work enviroment and opportunities for advancement based upon your performance. Some periods you have to put in extra hours to get the job done, but you are not held to a set number of work hours. I like that you get a management salary based on your tasks or assignments and you are allowed to manage your own time. My only complaint is the recent lack of job security. Other than that, I have had a very nice career at Caterpillar and some great travel and project opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work hours, great work/life balance, good travel opportunities depending on your job.
Cons
Employee feedback is not taken seriously. Surveys are taken, but action plans are non-existent
Too much cronyism and nepotism
Manufacturing Specialist/ Engineer (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILNovember 9, 2015
Managers were rotated frequently. Unqualified employees were promoted to positions they should never have had. Constant company/union strife. There was always a sense of layoff or plant closing. The company doesn't stand by their own rules and decisions. Headcount loss is part of the CAT Production System; the CEO and his minions get raises and bonuses when people are laid off.
Pros
The products
Cons
most of it
Great place to work, overall. Workforce needs change with the market, especially in the mining industry.
DBA (Current Employee) –  East Peoria, ILOctober 6, 2015
My supervisor is an enjoyable person to work for. There's too much red tape but that's probably normal. They make a diligent effort to ensure your career is going in the direction you want it to go. My colleagues are pleasant. There is continuous encouragement to automate the more tedious parts of our jobs, to both save money and to also help our jobs be more interesting.
Pros
Great pay and benefits when the economy is doing ok or better
Cons
Market downturns can be painful.
Great teamwork with other co-workers. Good benefits
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILOctober 25, 2015
Worked in assembly and sub assembly for large and small mining trucks. Assembly for wheel tractor scrapers. Had the opportunity to work with a lot of great people and work in a variety of assembly and sub assembly positions. Teamwork was always a high focus and I enjoyed working with the people in my assigned area as well as new areas.
Pros
A lot of great people to work with and good benefits.
Cons
Can be hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
Great place to work created by an exceptional team
Application and Installation Engineer (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaSeptember 21, 2015
Caterpillar is a great company to work for. The work/life balance and compensation are top notch. What makes it even better, for me, is the team that I have had the opportunity to work with.
Pros
Very flexible working environment.
Cons
If the stock market is down then opportunities for advancement become scarce.
Good company with excellent benefits and job security
Senior Traffic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Morton, ILJuly 28, 2015
It is a rather conservative company with a vertical structure. Management is largely of the top-down variety. However, benefits are excellent and the work/life balance is acceptable in most positions. The annual short term incentive plan can be very nice on a good year.

There is a lot of history to the company and most are proud to work there. Peoria is no booming metropolis, but it will generally suffice
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Peoria
Caterpillar Inc. - Good work place
Application Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJuly 6, 2016
The work day was pleasant and fast paced. Skills development and educational pursuits were encouraged and paid for at company expense. Management was good, and my co-workers were experienced. The most difficult aspect was the large work load, but it was manageable. The most enjoyable part of the various jobs was the interaction between the company and the dealership network at large. It was interesting to develop solutions for real world needs.
very productive and a good place to work with good pay and benefits.
Repair and Adjust Technician (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCSeptember 15, 2015
Caterpillar is a good place to work the people are good to work around the management is top notch while keeping the employees notified of any changes that may occur that will effect the employees.
Pros
benefits, pay, good leaders
Cons
really no cons
Could of been my forever home
Quality Control/Floater (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 3, 2015
Great pay and excellent benefits. Clean working conditions. Horribly competitive environment unless you like that. It creates a lot of backstabbing, favoritism, etc... Your basic "good ole boys club" rules. Management was a hit and miss, very few good ones. No room for advancement from blue collar to white collar even though they claim they do. In 5 years, 1 person was promoted, even though there were many jobs available in Bldg A. The shop is divided into 2. One side assembly and other side is machine shop. Try to get into machine shop side. Operations on that side is so much better. More laid back, more cohesive environment.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
management and "good ole boy club" rules
Caterpillar Review
Senior Supply Chain Performance Manager (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 25, 2015
Good company, great people, but management keeps on changing direction frequently. I had many managers across many organizations in the last 2 years - lot of churn happening.
Pros
Good work-life balance, decent compensation, great bonus structure for high grades
Cons
Limited promotion potential, too much uncertainty, everything is Peoria centric, to advance you have to spend 4-5 years in Peoria
Good, but Volatile
Hydraulics Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tucson Proving GroundApril 18, 2015
Caterpillar facilitates employee inclusion and has a very pleasant work environment. Work outside of hours is common, but comfortable. Benefits are good and improving each year.

The nature of the industry is such that sites are vulnerable to layoffs based on current economic state. From my experience working at the company, large company cutbacks can occur as often as every other year. Advancement is often linked to flexibility and willingness to relocate to different work sites every few years.
Pros
Good benefits, inclusive culture, in-house training offered and encouraged
Cons
Overtime common, Volatile job security
Probably a little better if you are not an agency employee
Mailroom Clerk/Admin, Volt Contract employee (Former Employee) –  Rockdale, ILFebruary 11, 2015
Very little support or communication from Caterpillar or contract employer. Often people are promoted to supervisory roles with no experience or training on being in a management role. Probably was a great company to work for 20 years ago, but I've seen a lot over my almost 5 years and am generally disgusted at the way things get handled from every level. Be real with your employees and treat them well and they will stick around for a long time.
Pros
opportunities to travel and advance in the company if that's what you want
Cons
management, communication, compensation for contracted employees, work/life balance
No job security in this compamy
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 5, 2015
I've been involved in two indefinite layoffs and three temporary layoffs in the past nine years. Its a very immoral way of doing business. People are being laid off and the CEO receives a raise and big bonus. Very Immoral!
Cons
No job security in this business
Not the best place for employment
3P51 Material Specialist-Transmission Valves (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 4, 2015
No raises for the last 10 years, overtime taken away, and no room for advancement within your job title. I have learned alot about supply chain, material procurement, and dock receiving and shipping.
Great place to work...
Senior Logistics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 23, 2016
Flexible hours to work and have a career. A person can choose their direction according to their own tastes and go for it. The salary and benefits and great.
Loved working night shift.
Production Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seguin, TXJune 8, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is being recognized for going above and beyond for job responsibilities. I learned from management is to learn as much as you can from all departments.
Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Looking to move on, and challenge myself in other areas
Logisitcs and Packaging Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Morganton NCJune 25, 2014
I have been with CAT for 16 & 1/2 years. I have moved up throughout the facility by being a leader and doing what was asked of me and more, to excel, and become a prosperous employee. I have lead my teams to success and trained each of them their roles, using Sarbanes Oxley guidelines, Caterpillar guidelines, and pure professional relationships. My team is one of the best teams as far as performance, attendance, and responsibilities. the hardest part of the job, is dealing with very demanding managers who aren't fully trained in the area that I am in charge of.
Pros
good team members, benefits, and learning experiences
Cons
no room for moving up, all upper management employees are placed from peoria or other caterpillar facilities
Not a very stable environment
Logistics Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 11, 2015
In the almost 10 years I worked for Caterpillar I enjoyed the ability to advance in my career. The pay and the benefits were wonderful. The atmosphere was not very positive because of the constant flux in business, which created forced overtime while laying off.
Pros
Wages and benefits
Cons
No realistic job secutiry
Caterpillar is a wonderful place to work and has great benefits
Product Q.C. Auditor Technician (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCNovember 17, 2014
I really loved my job at Caterpillar but unfortunately I got laid off during the recession. My plan was to retire with this company. Everyday was a learning process and that's what I liked about my job. Working with heavy machinery was very interesting to me and that's the reason I would apply for different positions within the company so I could learn everything that I could. I had wonderful co-workers and working with great hard-working people got the task done. The hardest part of my job was leaving such a wonderful company with great benefits.
Hard working team players
Associate Logistics Professional (Current Employee) –  Morton, ILAugust 18, 2015
I have found that no matter what department I have worked in all my peers have always been very willing to help me learn new skills. They are also open to me teaching them new skills brought from previous experience. Management is quick to dodge rumors rather than address them. This is understanding having been in a supervisor role however it decreases the trust and faith employees have in those making the decisions.
Pros
Work/life balance, flexible work schedule, ability to work from home when necessary
Cons
Uncertainty

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.