CATERPILLAR, INC

CATERPILLAR, INC United States Employee Reviews

Great Place
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee), Montgomery, ILApril 23, 2015
great place to work, a wealth of knowledge. everyone is nice, supervisors are great. very corporate culture. continuous improvement.
Good, but Volatile
Hydraulics Test Engineer (Former Employee), Tucson Proving GroundApril 18, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, inclusive culture, in-house training offered and encouraged
Cons: Overtime common, Volatile job security
Caterpillar facilitates employee inclusion and has a very pleasant work environment. Work outside of hours is common, but comfortable. Benefits are good and improving each year.

The nature of the industry is such that sites are vulnerable to layoffs based on current economic state. From my experience working at the company, large company cutbacks can occur as often as every other year. Advancement is often linked to flexibility and willingness to relocate to different work sites every few years.
Excellent learning environment
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Peoria, ILApril 18, 2015
This was a contract position therefore I was not in a position to review the company as a whole. Generally, it was a good place to work and I would consider taking other positions with them.
Big Time Company Feel
Purchasing Analyst, Global Supply Network Division (Former Employee), Mossville, ILApril 15, 2015
It's what you'd expect with one of the world's leading companies. Lots of high up business decisions are made with no personal feel. It's a very secure work environment though.
Could of been my forever home
Quality Control/Floater (Former Employee), Lafayette, INApril 3, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: management and "good ole boy club" rules
Great pay and excellent benefits. Clean working conditions. Horribly competitive environment unless you like that. It creates a lot of backstabbing, favoritism, etc... Your basic "good ole boys club" rules. Management was a hit and miss, very few good ones. No room for advancement from blue collar to white collar even though they claim they do. In 5 years, 1 person was promoted, even though there were many jobs available in Bldg A. The shop is divided into 2. One side assembly and other side is machine shop. Try to get into machine shop side. Operations on that side is so much better. More laid back, more cohesive environment.
Challenging and rewarding work. Free Donuts on Friday
Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Green Valley, AZMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Good people, challenging work, chance for overtime and travel
Cons: Crisis management. too many "yes" men, favoritism to females
Some great people to work with. Opportunity to really own your work. But management has to many "supervisors" and not enough "leaders."
Production Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee), East Peoria, ILMarch 23, 2015
Pros: healthcare and benefits
Great place to work with healthcare and benefits, and great place to advance. Build your career with them. Work with great people
great place to work
Production specialist;Materials Specialist.; (Former Employee), Decatur, ILMarch 18, 2015
Pros: good work environment
Cons: too many lay offs
great wages ,good benefits, would like to retire ,from working there after 20 years but too many work reduction due to the industry economies
Business plan changes quarterly
IT Business Analyst (PLM) (Current Employee), Joliet, ILFebruary 19, 2015
It is difficult to advance within the company because of the hands-off approach exhibited by management and upper leadership. Expectations are unclear and there does not appear to be any long-term business plan beyond moving manufacturing overseas.
Challenging work that is personally rewarding
Product Change Control Engineer (Current Employee), Joliet, ILFebruary 14, 2015
Caterpillar allows you to achieve a healthy work / life balance. Many companies expect more that 12+ hours a day for management employees, whereas Caterpillar is flexible knowing there needs to be work / life balance in order to achieve productive and happy employees.
Probably a little better if you are not an agency employee
Mailroom Clerk/Admin, Volt Contract employee (Former Employee), Rockdale, ILFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: opportunities to travel and advance in the company if that's what you want
Cons: management, communication, compensation for contracted employees, work/life balance
Very little support or communication from Caterpillar or contract employer. Often people are promoted to supervisory roles with no experience or training on being in a management role. Probably was a great company to work for 20 years ago, but I've seen a lot over my almost 5 years and am generally disgusted at the way things get handled from every level. Be real with your employees and treat them well and they will stick around for a long time.
A great company to work for!
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee), Peoria, ILFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: a great team or professionals
The best company I have ever worked for. My division is being phased out and I have been offered many opportinities, however, they require re-location.
Productive and enjoyable
Production Team Lead (Current Employee), Decatur, ILJanuary 4, 2015
I enjoy being employed at Caterpillar however I am ready to further my career and move forward since I have completed my Bachelor of Science Organizational Leadership from Millikin University in December, 2014. I have learned and experienced many different things in my 11 years of being employed there.
An o.k. place to work
Material Specialist (Current Employee), Morton, ILDecember 30, 2014
Pros: safety lunches
Cons: healthcare getting too expensive, low compensation
I like what I do at my job. I just wish there was More chances for advancement.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee), Clayton,NCDecember 8, 2014
Good benefits, but very physically demanding.Turnover was high as a result. Overall it was a great place to work, I would recommend it.
Poor work/life balance
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee), Greenville, SCDecember 7, 2014
Pros: benefits, people
Cons: management
Excessive weekly and weekend overtime due to process constraints and quality issues.
Caterpillar is a wonderful place to work and has great benefits
Product Q.C. Auditor Technician (Former Employee), Clayton, NCNovember 17, 2014
I really loved my job at Caterpillar but unfortunately I got laid off during the recession. My plan was to retire with this company. Everyday was a learning process and that's what I liked about my job. Working with heavy machinery was very interesting to me and that's the reason I would apply for different positions within the company so I could learn everything that I could. I had wonderful co-workers and working with great hard-working people got the task done. The hardest part of my job was leaving such a wonderful company with great benefits.
People are great
Material Specialist II (Former Employee), Morton, ILNovember 14, 2014
Pros: the people and the union
Cons: some of the management and the union
I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. The pay was great and so was the benefits. I got to drive fork trucks, cherry pickers and stand up fork trucks. The best part of this job were the people they cared about their fellow workers.
Very complex, yet exciting place to work
Supply Chain Planning Engineer (Current Employee), East Peoria, ILOctober 30, 2014
Every day, is a different scenario. While it's a company I love, there is allot of insecurity which goes along with it.
Unfortunately, when it comes to budgets and adjustments to current economic conditions, reductions are done with a broad brush stroke, rather than from an analytically perspective.
Team work and work life balance
Supply Chain Supplier Performance Engineer (Current Employee), Joliet, ILOctober 25, 2014
Caterpillar is an excellent place to work and experienced professionals will find work life balance quite flexible.

1 2 3 4 5