CATERPILLAR, INC Employee Reviews

Assembler (Current Employee), Oswego, ILAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Opportunity to learn different aspects of the business
Cons: Lunch break is short
Caterpillar, Inc. has allowed me the opportunity to learn manufacturing by assembling some of the world largest earth moving machines.
Hard working team players
Associate Logistics Professional (Current Employee), Morton, ILAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Work/life balance, flexible work schedule, ability to work from home when necessary
Cons: Uncertainty
I have found that no matter what department I have worked in all my peers have always been very willing to help me learn new skills. They are also open to me teaching them new skills brought from previous experience. Management is quick to dodge rumors rather than address them. This is understanding having been in a supervisor role however it decreases the trust and faith employees have in those making the decisions.
No job security in this compamy
Quality Control (Former Employee), Decatur, ILAugust 5, 2015
Cons: No job security in this business
I've been involved in two indefinite layoffs and three temporary layoffs in the past nine years. Its a very immoral way of doing business. People are being laid off and the CEO receives a raise and big bonus. Very Immoral!
Not the best place for employment
3P51 Material Specialist-Transmission Valves (Current Employee), Joliet, ILAugust 4, 2015
No raises for the last 10 years, overtime taken away, and no room for advancement within your job title. I have learned alot about supply chain, material procurement, and dock receiving and shipping.
Productive with manager taking the group out once in a month
Associate Engineer (Former Employee), Aurora, ILJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Free coffee with reduce lunch
Cons: Any
start the day reviewing updates to be able to perform my job as good as it can be done.
I learn that you have to be prepared to know how to prioritize your work.
A good management is an indication that the job will be perform as best as it can be.
When you teach yourself about how to perform your job well enough, is not a hard part doing it.
be around profesional people that help each other.
Good company with excellent benefits and job security
Senior Traffic Analyst (Former Employee), Morton, ILJuly 28, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: Peoria
It is a rather conservative company with a vertical structure. Management is largely of the top-down variety. However, benefits are excellent and the work/life balance is acceptable in most positions. The annual short term incentive plan can be very nice on a good year.

There is a lot of history to the company and most are proud to work there. Peoria is no booming metropolis, but it will generally suffice
My first job
Supplemental Warehouse Staff Member (Former Employee), Morton, ILJuly 28, 2015
I really enjoyed working for this company. I learned so many new skills that I am able to use at different jobs. I would definitely go back to this company if opportunity arose and if I were still living in my home town
Good Place to Develop
Electric Power Product Support Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2015
My Caterpillar experience has been excellent. I have had the good fortune to work both in engineering on a NPI (New Product Introduction) project and in a technical marketing role. The front line managers I have worked for were all concerned about developing their people, as well as the business results.
Not a progressive company. They're more concerned about the bottom line than their work force
Project Team Leader/NPI Manager (Former Employee), Clayton, NCJuly 1, 2015
Not a bad company but there are others better at dealing with employees needs and priorities. The company is very old and very rigid so there is very little interest in its management to make the company fun to work for. Basically it's a job you do every day..
Caterpillar Review
Senior Supply Chain Performance Manager (Current Employee), Cary, NCJune 25, 2015
Pros: Good work-life balance, decent compensation, great bonus structure for high grades
Cons: Limited promotion potential, too much uncertainty, everything is Peoria centric, to advance you have to spend 4-5 years in Peoria
Good company, great people, but management keeps on changing direction frequently. I had many managers across many organizations in the last 2 years - lot of churn happening.
Great company with nice benefits
Sr. Project Manager (Current Employee), Peoria, ILJune 5, 2015
Caterpillar is a great company to work for if you like to have a variety of things to work on. There are so many different areas to gain expertise in it will keep your mind active.
Educational
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Peoria, ILMay 28, 2015
I worked with some of the most intelligent individuals in computer networking and IP Telephony in the business. Absolutely the most brilliant team in those fields I have had the pleasure to work with.
Seguin, TX Caterpillar Engine Plant
Production Advisor (Current Employee), Seguin, TXMay 27, 2015
The culture at the Caterpillar Engine plant in Seguin, Texas, is very good and proven quality philosophies are in place to ensure a continuous improvement/customer focus. Employees find the work challenging yet gratifying.
Not a very stable environment
Logistics Planning Analyst (Former Employee), Decatur, ILMay 11, 2015
Pros: Wages and benefits
Cons: No realistic job secutiry
In the almost 10 years I worked for Caterpillar I enjoyed the ability to advance in my career. The pay and the benefits were wonderful. The atmosphere was not very positive because of the constant flux in business, which created forced overtime while laying off.
Machinist
Machinist (Former Employee), Pearisburg, VAApril 24, 2015
I enjoyed the work. They shut the plant down after 24 years of me being there. I miss the work environment. Enjoyed painting the minors from the coal mines
Great Place
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee), Montgomery, ILApril 23, 2015
great place to work, a wealth of knowledge. everyone is nice, supervisors are great. very corporate culture. continuous improvement.
Good, but Volatile
Hydraulics Test Engineer (Former Employee), Tucson Proving GroundApril 18, 2015
Pros: Good benefits, inclusive culture, in-house training offered and encouraged
Cons: Overtime common, Volatile job security
Caterpillar facilitates employee inclusion and has a very pleasant work environment. Work outside of hours is common, but comfortable. Benefits are good and improving each year.

The nature of the industry is such that sites are vulnerable to layoffs based on current economic state. From my experience working at the company, large company cutbacks can occur as often as every other year. Advancement is often linked to flexibility and willingness to relocate to different work sites every few years.
Excellent learning environment
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Peoria, ILApril 18, 2015
This was a contract position therefore I was not in a position to review the company as a whole. Generally, it was a good place to work and I would consider taking other positions with them.
Big Time Company Feel
Purchasing Analyst, Global Supply Network Division (Former Employee), Mossville, ILApril 15, 2015
It's what you'd expect with one of the world's leading companies. Lots of high up business decisions are made with no personal feel. It's a very secure work environment though.
Could of been my forever home
Quality Control/Floater (Former Employee), Lafayette, INApril 3, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: management and "good ole boy club" rules
Great pay and excellent benefits. Clean working conditions. Horribly competitive environment unless you like that. It creates a lot of backstabbing, favoritism, etc... Your basic "good ole boys club" rules. Management was a hit and miss, very few good ones. No room for advancement from blue collar to white collar even though they claim they do. In 5 years, 1 person was promoted, even though there were many jobs available in Bldg A. The shop is divided into 2. One side assembly and other side is machine shop. Try to get into machine shop side. Operations on that side is so much better. More laid back, more cohesive environment.