Caterpillar Employee Reviews

Found 2,619 reviews matching the search
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 20, 2017
This would be a great company to work for if this facility wasn't relocating. I never know what will happen on any given day because things can pop up any time into the shift. That's always the way in any industry. One good thing is there is an opportunity for people to be cross-trained in different areas in order to be more valuable to the company.
The people and management are friendly and they care about employees well-being.
Pros
Good hours and great compensation
Unsecured job in Caterpillar
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mossville, ILAugust 20, 2017
Working in Caterpillar through an agency since September 2015, experienced 4 rounds of lay-off happened and hundreds of people kicked off by company due to the short-vision previous CEO and vice president. Work load is ok, 8 hours a day and 5 days a week. No opportunity currently to be converted from a contractor to a full time employee. Will not recommend any one join this company at this moment.
There were a lot of favoritism at the workplace
Assembler 1 (Former Employee) –  Newberry, SCAugust 18, 2017
Those who would work and get the job done never got any credit. Those who kiss butt and got their position because of who they knew was always praised and given incentives.
safety was always first. i loved the fast paced work enviorment and loved learning something new everyday
Picker/Packer/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 17, 2017
i learned alot in the short time i was there. everyone was really nice and very helpful. there was alot of physical work but i didnt mind. i loved to stay busy and learn something new everyday. theres room for mistakes as long as you learn from them
Pros
Forklift license, loved the physical part
the work is simple but some of the people made the job complicated
Bender Operator (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSAugust 17, 2017
as long as you came to work on time and did your job usually there weren't any problems. Caterpillar was real big on safety so you had to make sure you could work at a fast pace and safely.
Pros
they fed us often
Cons
short breaks
Caterpillar has suffered from poor management.
Product Application Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 17, 2017
Poor corporate management has placed Caterpillar in a position where it is no longer a dependable place to work. Changing market conditions cause upper management to react by cutting workforce and benefits. Caterpillar is no longer a steady place to work, rather people will work there for 2-3 years and then look to move on to a better environment.
Pros
Visible brand.
Cons
No longer a steady place to work and grow.
Cafeteria in Building
Analysis Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mossville, ILAugust 17, 2017
Moderately paced environment. Good Engineers. Good Products.
Lot of opportunities to learn. Cyclic business. Lay offs happen very periodically due to downturn.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Periodic Layoffs
Caterpillar is a good company to work . I feel this job will be the idea job for young singal applicants.
Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) –  Joliet, IL AuroraAugust 16, 2017
I work several job with in my caterpillar career. I had some great managers and other not so great. Working for corporate America is a job that require you to sometimes to not keep your morals. However if you are lucky that you have a great management with morals you will do fine . They offer workshops to enhance your skills. You have the opportunity to advance if you continue to work on enchancing your skills.
Benefits
Cons
Cut throats not a lot of opportunities changes if advanced favoritism and n nepotism .
Overall a respectable place to work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 15, 2017
Starting with what's great about Caterpillar, the culture is generally very welcoming. Most people are very willing to teach and help you out (provided they aren't urgently busy). It can be easy to feel lost in the crowd since it is a larger company, but by the same token it's very easy to develop a widespread network.
Pros
Good benefits, generally welcoming culture, great networking opportunities
Cons
Not very diverse
Factory setting
Assembler/Painter (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 15, 2017
Caterpillar is a well known established company. Great pay, easy work however, I was hired as supplemental help and I had high pay with no benefits and was laid off after only 6 months. No job security.
It's a job. Fair pay, with lots of politics and excessive rules.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 15, 2017
Overall, my time at CAT was good. Pay was fair, and I excelled in my field. Caterpillar Spokane DC, unfortunately has a high turnover rate, much in part to unattainable metrics for new hires and over excessive rules designed to make a safer workplace, but often times not needed. The theory "it only takes one person to mess it up for everyone" definitely applies to this facility. A lot of good, hard working people have been separated for the most trivial things.
Pros
Twice yearly raises based on performance, quarterly bonus based on performance and facility health
Cons
Overly excessive rules, many people barely meet performance goals
enjoyable management, enjoyable workers
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mossville, ILAugust 15, 2017
Loved it! Want to work there again! Trying to get back in the door after numerous moves across the country and back. After the plant I was in was closed, etc.
Pros
Great!
I went to work for CAT with intentions to retire in 25 years. I enjoyed my ten plus years with CAT.
Inventory Control, Assembler (Former Employee) –  Newberry, SCAugust 15, 2017
I enjoyed not knowing what to expect with my job on a daily basis. I learned something new everyday. I understand and respect the decisions Corporate America Companies make. We the people must adjust, adapt, and move on.
Stressful place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Delavan, ILAugust 14, 2017
I did a lot of things at this job it is a fast paced , demanding , very detail oriented job. Accuracy is a must. It is challenging and can be overwhelming.
Great place to work and have a career
Facility Supply Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, PAAugust 14, 2017
Caterpillar was an awesome place to work. If it wasn't for the shutting down of our facility, I could easily see myself working there until I hit retirement age.
Pros
everything
Cons
layoffs
Poor Executive Leadership and no job security
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 14, 2017
Having worked at the company over 20 years I guess I expected a little job security. I relocated from HQ due to that group being eliminated only to find the business unit I landed in closing up shop. I lost my job a year after relocating my family across the country. Senior leadership is very poor and the company has been sliding downward the last 10 years since commodity prices plummeted. There is absolutely no job security even if you agree to relocate and remain loyal to the company. I was also given high performance reviews but none of it seemed to matter.
Pros
benefits package
Cons
long hours, lack of upward mobility, constantly changing objectives
Fast paced and fun environment
Packer/Floater (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 14, 2017
Very productive and competitive workplace. You get a chance to learn something new everyday. Also all the managers want you to succeed. The workers are very helpful.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Stressful and fast paced place to work in.
Tugger/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INAugust 14, 2017
I learned alot at caterpillar.I got my tuuger license,and my forklift license. The people there are very friendly. Its a cool fasted place to work at.
Pros
Free lunch on them sometimes
Cons
Short 10 min breaks
Nice place to work without job security
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INAugust 13, 2017
CAT is good place to work with lot of learning opportunities depend up on the group you are in. it is a stress free job place but without job security.
Pros
stress free
Cons
less job secirity
Great Place to work!
Digital Marketing Strategist (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 13, 2017
Great place to work with a great salary in the Peoria area. There is always concern of instability but it is on an upswing right now. I really enjoy change and a fast paced environment so that makes this a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caterpillar. Our community is ready to answer.