Cathedral Home for Children Employee Reviews

Fun and challenging yet very rewarding work place
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYNovember 11, 2015
There is no "typical day at work" when it comes to the Cathedral Home. This is a residential treatment facility for troubled youth, and I worked on a deaf and hard of hearing cottage for females. During days at work, I would administers medications, ensure safety of ALL residents on cottage and around campus. Participate in physical holds for the safety of the resident and residents around. I would complete paperwork (Progress Notes, Incident Reports, Physical Hold Forms, Medication Administration, Daily Changeover and Emails). I would be in contact with residents' families, judges, case managers and probation officers. My favorite part of this job was watching a resident graduate from the program and move forward continuing to better their life after treatment. Hearing for old residents about how well they are doing and their accomplishments is the most heart warming thing I have ever felt.
Pros
Making a difference, building relationships, meeting amazing kids and working with great coworkers. Learning new skills to be used later in life.
Cons
Physical Holds, Residents harming themselves.
Youthworker
Youthworker (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYOctober 19, 2015
Had several job responsibilities. The main thing was supervision and ensuring the safety and well being a troubled youth. We had case manager duties, medication procedures, food prep, trip planning, one-on-one counseling, group counseling, physical activities, assistance in the school, and the list goes on.
residential treatment facility
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYOctober 5, 2015
It is hard to work in a facility where it is known that since you are female, there will never be the type of opportunities that the male staff can have. You have to drink and be social in order to be liked. That is not the way a company should be run.
Cathedral Home for Children
Youth Crisis Center Director (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 25, 2015
Cathedral Home for Children (CHC) has been helping youth in need for over 100 years. Our long history speaks to our devotion and love for children. We stand committed to helping troubled and traumatized youth reclaim and rebuild their lives.
Residential Institutional Facility
Teacher, Math, Physical Education, and Health (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 11, 2015
I was responsible for communicating knowledge to students in an interesting, stimulating, and effective manner, using a variety of instructional methodologies and curriculum resources to present material. I worked as a team member and committee chair, sharing common planning, professional development, curriculum design, and teaching responsibilities. I administered different forms of student assessments, communicated with parents and other team members about student progress, and plan for further instruction. Also, I regularly attended IEPs, helped create behavioral plans, and met with Case Managers and Probation Officers. I was reflective about my own practice and acted as a coach for my team members when necessary. I have always integrated technology into my teaching activities.
Pros
Consistent, Fun, Changes day to day
Cons
Tough students
No real structure.
Youth Worker, NEWELL (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 16, 2015
The children run the environment. Staff have no real guidelines to work by.

In a typical day depending on what cottage you work. You cook and do some cleaning and get the youth if they choose to go to school or even if they choose to get ready for the day.

Some co-worker are excellent, and others are do very little to help and even interact with the youth served,
Great Place!
Intern (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 8, 2015
All of the people here are so friendly and helpful. Getting to make a difference in the lives of children is also great! I have learned so much from working here and it is a great place to expand knowledge on many different areas!
working with kids
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 18, 2014
great benefits and ok pay, typical day consists or retraining teens for attacking staff or other residence. House managers playing favorites and allotting Christmas bonuses to their friends and leaving nothing for the rest.

The company also freaks out every year that they are in a financial crisis and have to close, make decisions that impact everyone negatively, for it all to blow over the following month and making more changes, just for it to happen the following year.

so if you can deal with mean kids, and wait for the few small successes while staying calm and not letting management get to you, this is the job for you.
Pros
kids, outings, experience
Cons
management, violence, stress
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYOctober 8, 2013
There were no typical days at CHC. Daily activates ranged from watching all children to cooking for the kids. I learned cognitive behavior therapy and how to handle abused, neglected children with a wide array of mental problems. My co-workers were the best ever. the hardest part of the job was seeing the kids lose themselves but the best part was seeing children come so far and change for the better.
Pros
Helping the youth
Cons
Good opportunity to learn but less job security
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYApril 1, 2013
I learned a lot from this position, specially the High Fidelity Wraparound Process. I am looking to move into a more stable position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cathedral Home for Children. Our community is ready to answer.

Cathedral Home for Children Reviews by Location