Cathedral Home for Children Employee Reviews

A wonderful place to develop interpersonal relationships. Challenging clients, who make work fun.
Residential Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYApril 19, 2017
A typical day includes cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner for the clients. Coming up with a schedule for the clients after school. Including but not limited to treatment focused work, playing games, or facilitating groups. The hardest part of the job is reading a clients intake paperwork, and reading about their difficult past. The best part of working with the clients is seeing them graduate from the program and seeing how successful they are when they leave.
Pros
Great benefits, including retirement.
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancing in the company.
Productive and Stressfull
Residential Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYApril 14, 2017
A typical work day depends. On the cottage, the kids, the staff working that day, what is for breakfast, what season it is. No day is the same which can be good and bad. I've learned more from the kids out here than I can ever teach. Management. The culture is vast out here. The personalities from staff to residents is so diverse. EX: a "gangster" and "cowboy" socializing. Kind of mind blowing. The hardest part of the job is getting through a day where one kid and effect the whole milieu. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the residents, building those relationships, walking through the fire with them and being able to see them graduate the program.
Pros
Free food, causal clothing, in town activities, watching movies, playing board games, summer program and the horse program to name a few.
Cons
Power hungry staff, Kids who don't work well within the guild lines of the program.
Great place with great people
Residential Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 23, 2017
I loved working here. I learned so much and definitely miss the people I used to work with. We were a great team. All of the training classes were presented very well and the directors were very easy to contact when needed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long days sometimes
Fun and challenging yet very rewarding work place
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYNovember 11, 2015
There is no "typical day at work" when it comes to the Cathedral Home. This is a residential treatment facility for troubled youth, and I worked on a deaf and hard of hearing cottage for females. During days at work, I would administers medications, ensure safety of ALL residents on cottage and around campus. Participate in physical holds for the safety of the resident and residents around. I would complete paperwork (Progress Notes, Incident Reports, Physical Hold Forms, Medication Administration, Daily Changeover and Emails). I would be in contact with residents' families, judges, case managers and probation officers. My favorite part of this job was watching a resident graduate from the program and move forward continuing to better their life after treatment. Hearing for old residents about how well they are doing and their accomplishments is the most heart warming thing I have ever felt.
Pros
Making a difference, building relationships, meeting amazing kids and working with great coworkers. Learning new skills to be used later in life.
Cons
Physical Holds, Residents harming themselves.
Good place
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYNovember 4, 2015
Fun friendly staff caring for well being of the clients. Learning to adapt to the different clients personalities and attitudes was sometimes challenging, but also interesting part of the job.
Youthworker
Youthworker (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYOctober 19, 2015
Had several job responsibilities. The main thing was supervision and ensuring the safety and well being a troubled youth. We had case manager duties, medication procedures, food prep, trip planning, one-on-one counseling, group counseling, physical activities, assistance in the school, and the list goes on.
residential treatment facility
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYOctober 5, 2015
It is hard to work in a facility where it is known that since you are female, there will never be the type of opportunities that the male staff can have. You have to drink and be social in order to be liked. That is not the way a company should be run.
Cathedral Home for Children
Youth Crisis Center Director (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 25, 2015
Cathedral Home for Children (CHC) has been helping youth in need for over 100 years. Our long history speaks to our devotion and love for children. We stand committed to helping troubled and traumatized youth reclaim and rebuild their lives.
Residential Institutional Facility
Teacher, Math, Physical Education, and Health (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMay 11, 2015
I was responsible for communicating knowledge to students in an interesting, stimulating, and effective manner, using a variety of instructional methodologies and curriculum resources to present material. I worked as a team member and committee chair, sharing common planning, professional development, curriculum design, and teaching responsibilities. I administered different forms of student assessments, communicated with parents and other team members about student progress, and plan for further instruction. Also, I regularly attended IEPs, helped create behavioral plans, and met with Case Managers and Probation Officers. I was reflective about my own practice and acted as a coach for my team members when necessary. I have always integrated technology into my teaching activities.
Pros
Consistent, Fun, Changes day to day
Cons
Tough students
No real structure.
Youth Worker, NEWELL (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 16, 2015
The children run the environment. Staff have no real guidelines to work by.

In a typical day depending on what cottage you work. You cook and do some cleaning and get the youth if they choose to go to school or even if they choose to get ready for the day.

Some co-worker are excellent, and others are do very little to help and even interact with the youth served,
Great Place!
Intern (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYMarch 8, 2015
All of the people here are so friendly and helpful. Getting to make a difference in the lives of children is also great! I have learned so much from working here and it is a great place to expand knowledge on many different areas!
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYOctober 8, 2013
There were no typical days at CHC. Daily activates ranged from watching all children to cooking for the kids. I learned cognitive behavior therapy and how to handle abused, neglected children with a wide array of mental problems. My co-workers were the best ever. the hardest part of the job was seeing the kids lose themselves but the best part was seeing children come so far and change for the better.
Pros
Helping the youth
Cons
Good opportunity to learn but less job security
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYApril 1, 2013
I learned a lot from this position, specially the High Fidelity Wraparound Process. I am looking to move into a more stable position.