Catholic Charities Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful program
Home Health Aide/CNA program (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAApril 28, 2016
Taking the first step about what you want to do for a job or a career. You learn about how you take care of the patients. The instructor is well self explanitory and goes through everything word for word. Attending Catholic Charities is a great way to start looking into the medical field. Both parts are enjoyable but its a challenge to study and work hard for any exams for the upcoming classes. When finished with this program you will be able to find a job working either in a nursing home, rehab clinic, assistant living homes , or even a hospital. Earning your certification will be all worth it at the end.
Pros
learning about becoming a home-health aide and nursing assistant
Cons
early morning classes
Love the mission and services to the community
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 26, 2016
I enjoy working for the agency and see all the good they can do for the community through their vast array of services.
My day is not one of predictability. I have an outline things that need to happen but I have to be flexible in order to meet the needs of the people I meet with that day. I really enjoy my co-workers, we work hard but know how to have fun at the same time.
The hardest part about the work is having to say "no" to clients due to insufficient resources.
I have seen few move up here and do very well. There is a lot of turnover at the management level. High work load and expectations considering the pay scale & benefits.
Pros
mission, values, trainings, innovative services
Cons
prof. developement of staff, work-life balance, management turnover
Good Place to work
Service Navigator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 25, 2016
It is a good place to work, a very professional work place and friendly staff. Pay and benefits are not the best but they are not the worst.
Pros
Satisfaction of helping the comunity
Cons
Low pay
Great place to get your foot in the door
Home Visitor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2016
Work environment feels tightly knit.
Great training and staff development
Hardest part of the job is keeping track of the many ways to record information.
The most enjoyable is to see your caseload of families progress as they stick with the program educational curriculum
Pros
great people
Cons
redundant paperwork
Very productive and rewarding non profit place to work
Client Navigatore (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 21, 2016
The Catholic Charities is a great place to work and to come for assistant and resources, not just for low income families but the "Homeless."
Pros
free lunch
Cons
N/A
Community Residence
Residence Counselor (Current Employee) –  Gloversville, NYApril 20, 2016
I love working in mental health. The community residence was a place where I learned many skills. Also learned about community resources, communication skills, and made connections with various providers. I would work here again. Very rewarding job!
cooking
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 19, 2016
Prepared food of all kind for the homeless and kids for the summer. cleaned kitchen, kitchen utensils, and cooked food under head cook supervision.
Productive and positive work friendly environment.
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harford County, MDApril 19, 2016
Would be me arriving to work early. Happen to already have my breakfast, then have an all staff meeting before we start our day. All staff communicating and working together to get our jobs done. The most enjoyable part would be seeing all staff and clients leave on a positive note and had a productive day.
Productive work place
Volunteer Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gary, INApril 18, 2016
Friendly, approachable staff; learned how to work the big copy machines. Discovered the amount of effort that is put into maintaining a non-profit organization.
Fun place to make a real difference
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time with Catholic Charities. You truly are making a difference in the lives of those around you. Furthermore, management and co-workers are always super nice, and we have staff days to create a more positive work environment. For me, the most enjoyable part of my job was getting to speak Spanish with my clients and also realizing that each day I changed the life of at least one person.
Pros
Great benefits; flexible time off
productive
Overnight Mobile Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60612April 15, 2016
Assess homeless clients in need of emergency shelter and accompany them to shelters

Conduct Senior Well-Being checks for individuals who are 65 and older

Deliver emergency food boxes to seniors in need of food
Boring
Reception, sign ins, assisting clients (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 11, 2016
There is not enough work to do there. Very few paid employees, mostly come from other agencies who pay the help. Staff have numerous meetings all day. Volunteers do the drudge work, if one wants a job that keeps them busy and feeling fulfilled this isn't it. Other volunteers are nice. Typical day: Sign in, turn on lights, tv in day room, get out sign in book for clients, get the chore sheet, open the door. Ask for volunteers for chores like washing dishes. If they don't they draw from a bucket with colored chips and white. Colored they get a chore. Then they sign in for lunch, and eat. Then they go to the dayroom, or do their chores or skip out. The sign in sheet is passed around the room. Volunteers sit at desk, watch the clients, take a walk outside now and then to see if it all is well outside. Check to see chores are being done. Sit and watch some more. You take a lunch whenever you can, a short one. You sometimes pass out razors, lotions or just send them in the direction they need to go to get help they need. You listen to the homeless when they want an ear to listen. Chat and be friendly when they come up. Then you add it all up, how many people, number of each race, male and female, and ages and put that down. Thats the typical day.
Pros
Fellow workers are nice
Cons
very short lunches. not enough work to do.
Good job to start out with
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Albans, NY 11412April 9, 2016
This job helped me see what I'm good at . This job also helped me to see that people with PSD are just as important as you and me. Getting education on how and what to do when it comes to PSD Because of this job I went to school and got an College degree in human service.
Pros
jobs getting to know your cosumer and they getting to know you
Cons
mangent didn't care
TRAINING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2016
Catholic Charities strive to remain the one of the very best in the industry of charitable giving. Working there allowed time for life and service. Management is fair and the culture is united.
Pros
Diversity
A cohesive workplace with a shared objective among employees.
DIRECTOR PLANNED GIVING (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2016
The most enjoyable aspect of my job was establishing and cultivating the donors toward the common good of our clients.
Also, collaborating with other departments within the agency.
Pros
The spiritual component.
Cons
The expensive parking.
Loved working with woment and children
Resident Advisor/Case manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 6, 2016
Working for Catholic Charities was an rewarding experience. I learned a lot about the Human Services field and it helped me tremendously with more experience in terms of working with others.
Pros
Free lunch, working with just one other person and flexible schedule
Cons
Clients with attitudes, co workers with attitudes and working every Sunday
My overall experience at Catholic Charities
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be giving excellent customer service, helping individuals directing individuals just in anyway that I can help. What I've learned is that everybody is different and go through a different situation. so having the best personality is what's going to keep people positive. Getting along with your coworkers and knowing that you can trust management with any problem that you might have is always a good thing. I never fell like I can not go to management with a problem that I might have big or small. The hardest part of my job was not being able to help some people, that was very difficult for me, I always keep a smile on my face and service everybody to the best I know how. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people of course I love to communicate with people.
Pros
Helping people in our community, that needs the extra help.
Cons
Not being able to help some clients
Loss of Funding Resulted in Departmental Reduction
Family Preservation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJApril 2, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the intensive in-home therapy approach. This position involved working with families at risk of dissolution as a result of injury sustained to a child, determined by authorities to be unintentional. Our responsibilities involved providing short term treatment, typically lasting six weeks with multiple sessions per week, to work with the families to prevent the incident from reoccurring. Unfortunately, I was only employed for approximately three months. This was during the economic recession and I was led to believe that a loss of funding resulted in a reduction of departmental size. Being that I was only recently employed, I was let go.
At the time, I was not given a specific reason for this. I do not sincerely believe it was due to failure to perform my tasks, as all required paperwork was submitted in a thorough, timely manner and all appointments were kept.
Pros
Ability to make a significant difference in people's lives
Cons
Too brief of an employment; No acceptable explanation for being let go.
exciting, fun, productive, educating and sometimes overwhelming work place
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 31, 2016
exciting place to work its helpful to the people and the community. its religeous, and diverse.Its a place for assistance and provide safety and security for its staff and clients.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
N/A
nice environment full of joyful people also a great learning experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILMarch 30, 2016
A day at work was long but I was glad to be there.
I have learned so much such as traffic control and access control.
The management was outstanding.
My co-workers were really funny never a dull moment around them.
The hardest part of the job was crisis intervention but I used the skills I have and I managed to get it done.
the most enjoyable part of the job was the many warm hearted people I met everyday.
Pros
free luch everyday
Cons
long breaks