Catholic Guardian Services

Catholic Guardian Services Employee Reviews

Very flexible
Driver (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMay 29, 2015
Pros: Nice shift
Cons: No benefits
Understanding management team, relaxed environment, very flexible scheduling. Hardest part the UAC's, best part seeing the UAC's reunite with family or sponsors.
Worst Social Work agency.
HCI (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 8, 2015
Pros: Plenty of holidays
Cons: No room for growth, unsupported upper management.
It's a hectic environment to work. Changes in paper work is too frequent. Too many unnecessary deadlines. Supervisors are not supportive.
LIke working with family
Maintenance Site Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: the ability to function autonomously
Cons: multiple projects with sometimes unrealistic deadlines
A typical day for me consisted of following up on 5 sites I was responsible for and creating punch lists for my staff. I learned and enhanced my skills with regard to floor maintenance (including stripping, waxing, buffing, carpet cleaning), carpentry, basic electrical tasks and light plumbing. I also learned what being part of a management team consisted of and fostered staff growth and maintained morale through weekly meetings. The management team/my co-workers complemented one another well and would frequently collaborate to complete special projects in a timely manner. The most challenging aspect of the position was my transition from custodial worker to management--I now had to supervise people I'd worked side by side with and had a tendency to continue physically laboring more than some say I should have and overextending myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with staff, vendors, and contractors.
A growing experience
Case Planner (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 27, 2014
The work load at this organization was over bearing. it was also not helpful that staff did not receive much support and adequate training to complete task. There was little regard for employee saftey by administration. Colleagues were able to build lasting friendships and bonds. being bale to see clients and their families reunited was a rewarding experience.
Productive and fast pace environment
Health Care Integrator (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 22, 2014
Knowledge in child welfare (foster care system) is needed. Training was provided. Taught me how to enhance my organizational skills, counseling techniques and hands on skills.
Unprotective workplace with minimum job security excessive changing of staff.
Social Work Supervisor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYNovember 12, 2014
Pros: i was doing what i loved, working with families.
Cons: not being able to help everybody and accepting that as a limitation.
Typical day of work consisted of entering the office a half hour before required start time to review agenda for the day and respond to emails Upon reviewing day's agenda prioritize and organize days work, inclusive of meetings supervision of staff and documentation which needed to be completed. Although this is how I attempted to start my day then the emails would begin requesting that I respond to them. There were always issues that would arise during any given day that would require my immediate attention. However, typically during the day I would always find time to address my mandates and – more... accomplish the necessary paperwork which was required. I was a person who came in early and stayed late so that I could get what I needed done. After five o'clock I would always be able to review what took place during the day and what prioritize for the next. The hardest part of the job was to accomplish what I had planned for the day. I learned each day a little bit more about how to be a team leader and how to delegate to coworkers based on their acquired skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching and sharing what I've learned throughout the years in the field and empowering families to strive towards their set goals. – less
productive and fun place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: good job environment
Cons: no job security
catholic guardian service was my dream job if it wasn't for budget cuts I would be still working their. rain, snow or cold winter days could not keep me from going to work. enjoy fixing, repairing ,painting cleaning the grounds and changing locks at all the different houses I work in. my coworker were the best people I have work with. supervises were also good people to work for. the hardest part of my job was the day I got laid off.
the best part of my job was getting up every day to go too work.good job
NA
Case Planner for General Preventive (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
WORKING WITH A GROUP OF PROFESSIONAL INDIVIDUAL WHO HAVE COHERESSD VICTIMS INTO GUILTY PLEAS
good job
HANDYMAN (Former Employee), new york nyMay 13, 2014
manage day to day operations of multiple sites, facility grounds, keep good relations with vendors, oversee contractors work performance. daily repairs and improvements to facilities, general upkeep and maintenance. plumbing, electrical, sheet rock and taping, carpentry, lock repair and installment.
Inadequate staffing, mountains of meaningless paperwork
Manager (Former Employee), NewYorkMay 12, 2014
Pros: some wonderful people work there
Cons: problem employees are tolerated due to lack of stafing and make life miserable to the good employees, managers are on call 24/7, be prepared to work around the clock, nightmare all around
Everyday was spent putting fires out and trying to complete generally meaningless paperwork - all meant to CYA. Urgent meetings would be called, ideas would be discussed, then the problem would become less important as a new problem popped up. Felt like a dog chasing its tail. Problem employees were tolerated because of the lack of adequate staffing. Most of my time was spent trying to arrange the work schedule to ensure the state required number of employees were working at all times. Nightmare!