Catholic Health Initiatives Employee Reviews

Stressful and Unorganized Place to Work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJuly 15, 2016
I worked in the Clinic at CHI in Dickinson. I left because the amount of unregulated gossip is out of control at the clinic and hospital. The Clinic is so poorly run and unorganized. Employees are treated poorly by Clinic management. You aren't treated as a valued employee. The opportunity for promotion is non-existent as its not what you know, it's who you know. There are women in management/supervisor type positions in the Clinic that have no right to even be in management. And they'll throw you under the bus the first opportunity they get just to make themselves look better. Honesty does not run deep at the clinic and it's sad. Even though the benefits are wonderful, the work environment is so toxic that it created major stress problems for me. As it did for many of my other friends that have worked there and also left.
Pros
Cafe on site, good benefits
Cons
Horrible Clinic Management, Gossipy Work Environment

Comment – October 3, 2016

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and for taking the time to post about your stressful experience in the clinic. I'm sorry that you did not feel valued as an employee and that you didn't feel you could turn to management for help. I wish you all the best as you continue your career journey.

Great salary, benefits, and coworkers. Struggling management.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 15, 2016
Very good company to work for. Salary and benefits are more than adequate. Work environment and culture is good.
Management at CHI struggles to provide a clear and consistent vision, and high level management doesn't appear to understand some fundamental aspects of standard business practices.
Pros
Benefits & Culture
Cons
Leadership issues

Comment – January 18, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to provide this review, and for your past efforts on behalf of CHI. I'm pleased that you found the culture, work environment, salary and benefits to your liking, and wish you all the best as you continue your career journey,

Co-Workers Are Great
Application Developer II/Application Administrator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 22, 2016
The people are great. I program custom code for applications. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a micro manager. Most enjoyable coworkers.
Pros
Benefits, Work Remotely
Cons
Long Hours and One micro manager making it difficult for all

Comment – January 18, 2017

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of CHI, and for taking the time to review your experiences. I am glad that you have great co-workers and that you have the opportunity to work remotely. I'd encourage you to have a casual conversation with your manager - if you are comfortable doing so - to see if your perception of being micro-managed and his/her need to be involved at a granular level could be resolved through proactive communication or other means. I wish you all the best in your continued work at CHI.

Good company
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 3, 2016
Good company, but senior leadership makes poor decisions. Always downsizing and morale gets pretty low. Company is too top heavy. Great co-workers and love the culture and environment in the office when there is no fear of if / when there will be more cuts to the staff. Good benefits and retirement.
Pros
Work/life balance, benefits, pay, flexibility, co-workers
Cons
Always downsizing

Comment – September 22, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and thank you for your continued loyalty during this time of rapid change. As you know, healthcare is in transformation and, as a result, we find ourselves saying goodbye to team members, leaders and people we’ve known for a long time. I know it’s unsettling, and I’m sorry. I’m happy to see the pros you cited and hope you continue to find value in your role.

Catholic Health Initiatives
Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 14, 2016
Compensation is great, PTO is plenty. CHI is in a financial bind and outsourcing everything. Most people work many hours. It is a constant worry that you will be outsourced or laid off.
Pros
Great compensation and PTO time
Cons
Constant worry about layoffs and outsourcing.

Comment – October 31, 2016

Thank you for your continued service at CHI, and for taking the time to post this review. It's true that CHI - as well as the US healthcare system overall - is addressing financial challenges in the face of constant, and swift change. The complexity and scope of change, coupled with governmental, mandatory deadlines, has limited healthcare's ability to build the necessary capabilities from within and drives the use of "buy vs. build" in many non-patient-care areas. I am happy to hear you are pleased with compensation and paid time off at CHI, and I wish you continued success.

Operating Room Assistant ORA
Operating Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEMarch 29, 2016
You would think working in the OR would fun. I was wrong. I had a supervisor who I never saw, my training was non existent due to the fact that they were short staffed. And they other staff members were caddy. So on my 90 days-to the exact day...I was called in to talk about my performance. Mind you I hadn't seen this supervisor at all during my employment...tell me I was hard to get ahold of, I disappeared from the department all the time, I never answered the phone, my attendance was unacceptable, and I have an attitude problem. I was terminated. Everything she stated was untrue and I questioned her on these and the response I got back was: That's just what is reported to me. So with no factual evidence, no prior complaint, no other interaction about my performance she fired me. She was very unprofessional and rude about it. I'm am glad I'm not able to be rehired because that job was HORRIBLE!!
Benefits
Cons
Management, Short lunch, Coworkers, Job Duties, Training, Pay
Terrible company!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Enumclaw, WAApril 16, 2016
Top down company. The only thing worse than working there is being a patient there. The staff complains all day, with good reason. There is a them against us mentality between the staff and the management. The pay is okay, but it is so bogged down with paperwork and contracting out of jobs, it is a nightmare. The medical benefits require you to go within their system. Hard to do when you know better. The patients get lost in the shuffle. The only way to survive the job is to not care and if you don't care you should not work in the medical field.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
CHI does not care about the patients
If I could give it a zero, I would.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 7, 2016
No seniority protections. When I was laid off I was told that this day is my last day. No warning. Local senior leadership are figure heads. National leadership is invisible and heartless. Worked 10 to 12 hr daily, plus weekend and holiday without compensation, just to be told to do more.
Pros
Any pro I could have listed is negated by CHI national behavior.
Cons
No consideration for seniority
Look out!
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  South Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2016
Very poor management!! Very stressfull,all departments!!! No teamwork!! Lots of favoritism!! Stay away! Never see supervisors upstairs unless state is there,then they all come running!!! Cna's yell at residents, nothing is done about it! If you complain,you will be fired! Top management will not listen to you! Run fast from this place!
Pros
Some causal days
Cons
Low pay, tiny raises.LOTS OF WORK!
Very disappointing!
Sr. Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 1, 2016
CHI is so far from their stated values that it's become a joke. There is nothing faith-based about this place, except for the name. No concern for employees, leadership has no idea what they are doing and change direction monthly. There is no stability here, layoffs at least every 3 months. Absolutely no transparency here, leadership will lie right to employees faces in "town halls" and "employee forums". My advice to anyone looking for a job is stay as far from this place as possible, it's a real mess!
Pros
Pay is good, benefits are above average, nice offices and location (if you live south of Denver)
Cons
See review above
Co-worker not team player, management not present
Receptionist/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 12, 2016
Very shady co-worker not willing to share job responsibilities. Many underhanded comments and threats. Management not around to supervise. Manager responded well to getting ego stroked, but did not care to supervise and see the big picture.
benefits
Cons
management never around
Bad place to work
cna (Former Employee) –  South Milwaukee, WINovember 20, 2015
Poor management..short staff,,very racial divided.Management turns a blind eye to it..SOME staff can get away with murder and still keep their jobs..OTHERS,,get ignored,picked on,,bullied,If your not one of the favorites your toast.Management is NEVER on the floor.But when state pops in ,,Boy they come running with their phony smiles and Team attitude.The residents are suffering due to sever staff shortage.
They keep residents longer then they need too just to make that extra $$
Oh you can redo the whole employee lunch room,,but not give decent raises,.The pathhetic raise you do get pays for the Increase in the health insurance.Moral is in the toilet ,has been since new management took over ..I will never work in long term care any more,This place has made me bitter and discusted on the poor quality of care theses residents are getting.
Pros
pay check..residents...
Cons
Poor management, racial problems.short staffed all the time..
Boring and corporate
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Meridian, COJanuary 8, 2017
Focused on the bottom dollar at it's worst
at it's best generally helpful but still little room for advancement
outsourcing is a commonly used practice whenever possible
management is remorseful on decisions they have no great say in.

Comment – January 18, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review your work experience at CHI, and for the time you spent in service to this ministry. Patient care is the central focus for CHI, and financial stewardship is critical to maintaining the ministry in the communities we serve. Today's rapidly-changing health care environment will continue to necessitate tough "build or buy" expertise decisions across U.S. (and global) health systems. I wish you success in your future career travels.

Lacks structure, decent management, cleanliness
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dickinson,NDAugust 4, 2016
My experiences at CHI were so very disappointing to say the least. Initially upon hire, I was not told where I would be working. All I heard was the negativity from the other staff. That didn't make for a good welcome to the new staff. There was no TEAM spirit there, only backstabbing, lies and false promises. Jobs, hours were changed without notice or input. Upper management was made aware yet lower management continued to run the clinic into the mess it is now. A few of the staff there were so disrespected, lied to and threatened. Not the work environment I would recommend to anyone. A total revamping of structure, policies, professionalism and clinic management is needed ASAP.
Pros
Cafe
Cons
Management, cleanliness

Comment – October 3, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post about your disappointing experience in the clinic. I am sad to hear about the work environment there and I agree with you about recommending such an environment to anyone. Best wishes in your future career opportunities.

company is currently unstable
Contract Analyst (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 17, 2016
Currently CHI is very unstable. CHI is working on a turn around to help balance itself out. Lots of lay offs are a part of the turn around.
Pros
good benefits, lots of focus on wellness
Cons
lay offs.
Company stands with good morals but no management follows morals
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CODecember 15, 2015
Good benefits but the management has no idea what to do. For last few years, they hire people in the beginning of the year and lay off toward the end. You are taught to have good morals and values but when it comes to layoff, you are only a number and could be treated worthless.

I strongly recommend people to not apply here.
Pros
good benifits and pay
Cons
horrible management ethics, a non profit that treats its employees like a replaceable numbers.
Opportunities for Improvement
Senior Architect (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 11, 2016
Customer had run their own backups for 5 years and turned over to Wipro. Backups were below 60% success rate. My leadership and directives raised success rate to 97%.
Pros
Opportunity to shine
Cons
Not much of a budget. customers devided between Networker and Netbackup.
Live by a faith based mission
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 1, 2016
I have worked for this company since 1994. My coworkers are like family. I have several "best friends" at work. I am fortuanate to work with a team that provides excellent care to all patients. My role has evolved many times over the years. There is always room to learn and grow and get involved. They value input from every employee. Daycare is provided at a discount and is open extended hours. Work, life , balance is respected.
Pros
Excellent patient care, excellent coworkers
Cons
Insurance could be better

Comment – January 18, 2017

Thank you for the years you've spent in service to this health care ministry and for taking time to post such a positive review. It sounds like you have established many friendships with coworkers, and that you respect their ability to deliver excellent health care to the patients and families you serve. To know that your input is valued and that you have the opportunity to be involved is a blessing, indeed. I wish you continued happiness and success in your nursing career!

Poor Leadership, Massive Outsourcing which equates to Mass Layoffs
Application Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 19, 2015
This company is now being run by people at the top who are completely out of touch with the needs in the "real world" of its employees and patients. They have outsourced so many jobs to India and continue to do so.

Employees are considered dispensable. There doesn't appear to be any improvement in sight. They truly do not care about the employees or the patients. Morale is extremely low in this company.
Pros
Pay & Benefits aren't bad.
Cons
No job security or stability; out of touch leadership who only cares about money
Horrible Work Environment
SRNA (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 6, 2016
This place is awful. Hostile work environment and management is a ghost. If you're not one of the favorites you're treated like the ugly stepchild. Very gossipy and childish co-workers who would rather sit around on Facebook than do their rounds. Never saw a member of management the entire time I worked there. Management never made one attempt to contact me. Patients care suffers due to the bad attitudes. Will never work for this company again. STAY AWAY.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Short breaks, poor management

Comment – October 3, 2016

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear about this disappointing student experience. The situation you've described is unacceptable and I know a "gossipy-workplace" creates even more stress. I hope you have found new opportunities and wish you all the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catholic Health Initiatives. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4