Catholic Health Initiatives

Catholic Health Initiatives Employee Reviews

Great people, challenging work, unstable environments.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 4, 2017
Pros
Catholic Health Initiatives is a faith-based healthcare organization with core values of Respect, Integrity, Compassion and Excellence. Excellent benefits package including tuition reimbursement, 401K matching retirement plan, FSA, + major medical, dental, vision.
Cons
Realignment within the healthcare industry has resulted in major operational reorganization which has created some instability for employees such as outsourcing of permanent, full-time positions and consolidation of operational structures resulting in workforce reductions.

Advice to Management
In this time of massive change within the healthcare industry, insure that you're respecting the value of your workforce, one of your most valuable assets. Focus on thorough planning of organizational changes to reduce the impact on clinical operations and at both the national and regional market levels.
February 14, 2017

Thank you for posting a review and for your continued service to the CHI ministry. Your advice to management is thoughtful and aligns closely with what I see happening in present-day. Organizational change - across all healthcare systems - is the new reality, and commitment to quality, compassionate patient care is at the heart of all we do.

Work
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston Texas medical centerFebruary 8, 2017
I worked for this company for a year and a half. They don't have a realistic idea when comes to understanding that as human things happen unexpectedly and sometimes that requires people to take off. Also the management isn't very caring another employee and their own health. The leadership makes it a horrible place to be and the Human Resources department isn't very resourceful. I'm hurt at the experience I had with this company seeing that I wanted to continue my career there until retirement. But the company didn't allow me that opportunity. I feel as though I have waisted my time.
Pros
Lots of positions
Cons
Everything else
February 14, 2017

Thank you for the time you spent with CHI, and for providing this post about the experience. Please know that time spent caring for patients is never a waste of time. I hope you found many learning opportunities during these months that will carry forward with you in your career.

Great salary, benefits, and coworkers. Struggling management.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CONovember 15, 2016
Very good company to work for. Salary and benefits are more than adequate. Work environment and culture is good.
Management at CHI struggles to provide a clear and consistent vision, and high level management doesn't appear to understand some fundamental aspects of standard business practices.
Pros
Benefits & Culture
Cons
Leadership issues
January 18, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to provide this review, and for your past efforts on behalf of CHI. I'm pleased that you found the culture, work environment, salary and benefits to your liking, and wish you all the best as you continue your career journey,

Stressful and Unorganized Place to Work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDJuly 15, 2016
I worked in the Clinic at CHI in Dickinson. I left because the amount of unregulated gossip is out of control at the clinic and hospital. The Clinic is so poorly run and unorganized. Employees are treated poorly by Clinic management. You aren't treated as a valued employee. The opportunity for promotion is non-existent as its not what you know, it's who you know. There are women in management/supervisor type positions in the Clinic that have no right to even be in management. And they'll throw you under the bus the first opportunity they get just to make themselves look better. Honesty does not run deep at the clinic and it's sad. Even though the benefits are wonderful, the work environment is so toxic that it created major stress problems for me. As it did for many of my other friends that have worked there and also left.
Pros
Cafe on site, good benefits
Cons
Horrible Clinic Management, Gossipy Work Environment
October 3, 2016

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and for taking the time to post about your stressful experience in the clinic. I'm sorry that you did not feel valued as an employee and that you didn't feel you could turn to management for help. I wish you all the best as you continue your career journey.

I enjoyed working there until I was laid off.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 16, 2017
Good benefits and pay was decent. Too much outsourcing and bad financial management. I was not suprised to be laid off. I hope that they will merge with Dignity Health and bring jobs back to the USA.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No job security
January 18, 2017

Thanks for the review and and I'm gad you found your time with CHI of benefit to you. It's true that these are financially challenging times for health care across the nation, including CHI. Wishing you success in your career journey.

Good company
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 3, 2016
Good company, but senior leadership makes poor decisions. Always downsizing and morale gets pretty low. Company is too top heavy. Great co-workers and love the culture and environment in the office when there is no fear of if / when there will be more cuts to the staff. Good benefits and retirement.
Pros
Work/life balance, benefits, pay, flexibility, co-workers
Cons
Always downsizing
September 22, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and thank you for your continued loyalty during this time of rapid change. As you know, healthcare is in transformation and, as a result, we find ourselves saying goodbye to team members, leaders and people we’ve known for a long time. I know it’s unsettling, and I’m sorry. I’m happy to see the pros you cited and hope you continue to find value in your role.

Co-Workers Are Great
Application Developer II/Application Administrator (Current Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 22, 2016
The people are great. I program custom code for applications. The hardest part of my job is dealing with a micro manager. Most enjoyable coworkers.
Pros
Benefits, Work Remotely
Cons
Long Hours and One micro manager making it difficult for all
January 18, 2017

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of CHI, and for taking the time to review your experiences. I am glad that you have great co-workers and that you have the opportunity to work remotely. I'd encourage you to have a casual conversation with your manager - if you are comfortable doing so - to see if your perception of being micro-managed and his/her need to be involved at a granular level could be resolved through proactive communication or other means. I wish you all the best in your continued work at CHI.

Boring and corporate
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Meridian, COJanuary 8, 2017
Focused on the bottom dollar at it's worst
at it's best generally helpful but still little room for advancement
outsourcing is a commonly used practice whenever possible
management is remorseful on decisions they have no great say in.
January 18, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review your work experience at CHI, and for the time you spent in service to this ministry. Patient care is the central focus for CHI, and financial stewardship is critical to maintaining the ministry in the communities we serve. Today's rapidly-changing health care environment will continue to necessitate tough "build or buy" expertise decisions across U.S. (and global) health systems. I wish you success in your future career travels.

Potential
Intake Analyst-Contracts (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COJanuary 24, 2017
Honestly, this company was once a great place to work. The core of its greatness does remain, although it is currently smothered by an overextended transitional period in the company. I entered this company during the transition; therefore I have not had the opportunity to witness its full potential. Although, the surrounding coworkers have fond memories of these glory days.

I am optimistic that what was once the atmosphere of CHI, will return given the completion of a difficult transition. You may ask how can I be so sure? The one thing which has not changed in this company, could serve as a great bounce back agent; and that is they strive to exemplify their core values of dignity, respect, integrity, compassion and excellence. I believe these values will soon shine through more prominently once they get around the rough patch they are going through operationally.
Pros
Great room to meet career and skillset challenges if you need to add to your skillset
Cons
layoffs, constantly changing flow of operations, therefore causing transitional uncertainty.
January 28, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post such a thoughtful review. I share your opinion that this time of transition will lead to operational stability and that the core values of CHI have remain unchanged during this time of change. It's great to hear that you find your work challenging, and thanks for your continued service to CHI.

Operating Room Assistant ORA
Operating Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEMarch 29, 2016
You would think working in the OR would fun. I was wrong. I had a supervisor who I never saw, my training was non existent due to the fact that they were short staffed. And they other staff members were caddy. So on my 90 days-to the exact day...I was called in to talk about my performance. Mind you I hadn't seen this supervisor at all during my employment...tell me I was hard to get ahold of, I disappeared from the department all the time, I never answered the phone, my attendance was unacceptable, and I have an attitude problem. I was terminated. Everything she stated was untrue and I questioned her on these and the response I got back was: That's just what is reported to me. So with no factual evidence, no prior complaint, no other interaction about my performance she fired me. She was very unprofessional and rude about it. I'm am glad I'm not able to be rehired because that job was HORRIBLE!!
Benefits
Cons
Management, Short lunch, Coworkers, Job Duties, Training, Pay

Want to know more about Catholic Health Initiatives?

Ask a question
Run away
VP of nursing (Former Employee) –  Garrison, NDJanuary 28, 2017
The culture in this small town was very negative
. It was a very unfriendly negative atmosphere. New staff were ran off as quickly as they came.
The hiring process is so painfully slow that managers were covering aid shifts. The administration did not want to deal the issues . I got out of there as soon as I could it is big corporate all the way. Earn money with less staff work like a robot.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Too cooporate
February 3, 2017

Thank you for posting a review about your experience in North Dakota. I'm sorry you found both the community and work cultures to be "unfriendly". I wish you all the best as you continue your career journey.

Lacks structure, decent management, cleanliness
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dickinson,NDAugust 4, 2016
My experiences at CHI were so very disappointing to say the least. Initially upon hire, I was not told where I would be working. All I heard was the negativity from the other staff. That didn't make for a good welcome to the new staff. There was no TEAM spirit there, only backstabbing, lies and false promises. Jobs, hours were changed without notice or input. Upper management was made aware yet lower management continued to run the clinic into the mess it is now. A few of the staff there were so disrespected, lied to and threatened. Not the work environment I would recommend to anyone. A total revamping of structure, policies, professionalism and clinic management is needed ASAP.
Pros
Cafe
Cons
Management, cleanliness
October 3, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post about your disappointing experience in the clinic. I am sad to hear about the work environment there and I agree with you about recommending such an environment to anyone. Best wishes in your future career opportunities.

Horrible management.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 25, 2017
I would not recommend anyone to work for this company- I was treated with absolutely no respect and shown no opportunity for advancement! This place did a great job of making me feel unwelcome!
January 28, 2017

Thanks for sharing this review. I am sorry you had such a negative experience and wish you well in your future work.

Terrible company!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Enumclaw, WAApril 16, 2016
Top down company. The only thing worse than working there is being a patient there. The staff complains all day, with good reason. There is a them against us mentality between the staff and the management. The pay is okay, but it is so bogged down with paperwork and contracting out of jobs, it is a nightmare. The medical benefits require you to go within their system. Hard to do when you know better. The patients get lost in the shuffle. The only way to survive the job is to not care and if you don't care you should not work in the medical field.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
CHI does not care about the patients
Look out!
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  South Milwaukee, WIApril 8, 2016
Very poor management!! Very stressfull,all departments!!! No teamwork!! Lots of favoritism!! Stay away! Never see supervisors upstairs unless state is there,then they all come running!!! Cna's yell at residents, nothing is done about it! If you complain,you will be fired! Top management will not listen to you! Run fast from this place!
Pros
Some causal days
Cons
Low pay, tiny raises.LOTS OF WORK!
Poor morale among physicians, nurses, staff etc.
MD (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 21, 2017
As a medical oncologist, I care for cancer patients every day.

CHI treats MDs, RNs etc. with no respect.
It is all about number, revenues. Of course revenue is important, but treating staff with no respect? Even restaurant managers treat their employees better.
The leadership is beyond poor, it is zero.

Recent survey showed that only 1% of MDs are happy.
What kind of organization/health care facility has 1% MDs being happy???

The poor morale perpetuates throughout the organization.

It is just an awful place to work.

Bring back Alegent system, which was a million times better than CHI.
Backword company that does not place much value on IT
Test Lead/Analyst III/Employee (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMarch 18, 2016
This is a company ran by clinicians. When I've started, there was a hope of organization development into a modern IT shop. Instead of it company continued to increase number of upper level management personnel, acquiring more and more hospitals and decreasing its involvement into IT projects, trying to outsource what they could. It ended up in financial turmoil and massive layoffs. About 95% of people involved with IT were laid off.
Pros
Culture was good.
Cons
So far thsi is a company without a future
Catholic Health Initiatives
Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 14, 2016
Compensation is great, PTO is plenty. CHI is in a financial bind and outsourcing everything. Most people work many hours. It is a constant worry that you will be outsourced or laid off.
Pros
Great compensation and PTO time
Cons
Constant worry about layoffs and outsourcing.
October 31, 2016

Thank you for your continued service at CHI, and for taking the time to post this review. It's true that CHI - as well as the US healthcare system overall - is addressing financial challenges in the face of constant, and swift change. The complexity and scope of change, coupled with governmental, mandatory deadlines, has limited healthcare's ability to build the necessary capabilities from within and drives the use of "buy vs. build" in many non-patient-care areas. I am happy to hear you are pleased with compensation and paid time off at CHI, and I wish you continued success.

Good environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 28, 2016
Poor Financial status. Overall good place to work. Great co-workers and environment. No room for advancement or acknowledgement of successful outcomes.
January 18, 2017

Thank you for the review - I'm happy you found a good working environment at CHI. Great co-workers make so much difference in our work and attitudes, right? I'm sorry you felt there was no room for advancement, and concerned that you did not experience acknowledgement for successful outcomes. Wishing you all the best as you move forward in your career, and thank you for the time you spent with CHI.

Hostile work environment and bad management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJuly 2, 2016
The culture at this place is based on being a snitch basically which creates turmoil between employees.
Pros
Good Cook Pay
Cons
Bad management
October 3, 2016

Thank your for reviewing the time you spent with CHI. I'm sad to hear that there was turmoil present in co-worker relationships. I've observed the accelerated work pace that exists in hospital food prep settings and I'm sorry that you experienced added stress in this fast moving environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catholic Health Initiatives. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9