Catholic Relief Services

Catholic Relief Services Employer Reviews

A development organization.
Translator (Current Employee), DhakaApril 7, 2014
Pros: i can work on my own time. that is important as this is my second job.
Cons: lack of job security
I translate as a freelance consultant for the organization.
Great employees with a mediocre, timid, and visionless executive team
N/A (Current Employee), BaltimoreJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: decent health benefits
Cons: impossible work loads and inept managers
Most people keep their jobs by donating much time to the work. I effect the agency requires donated labor to function. The best jobs are overseas far from HQ. CRS important work and is exactly who you would want to respond to a disaster like an earthquake. Their is a high level of idealism and much of the work is top notch. But morale is low and getting – more... worse.
CRS recently stopped its defined pension plan, effectively violating a promise made to employees at hiring.
Other benefits are good. – less
Excellent Work place where teamplaying is viable for the job's proformance
Office Services Assistant/Image Center Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 1, 2013
Working for CRS meant I had the opportunity to be in the presence of a lot of God fearing people every day, These people where working hard to help people in need all around the country, they would come to work with a positive attitude to get the job done to make sure someone in a far away country have fresh water, a roof over there heads and food on – more... there tables. I was a part of that working at CRS. – less
Very Productive
Technical Expert (Former Employee), New Delhi- IndiaAugust 21, 2013
Pros: freedom to work
Day at work was quite full of work, provided chance to utilise learnings and skills.
Avery good place to work for
Technical WASH Advisor (Current Employee), BulawayoAugust 8, 2013
Pros: perdiums when we go out
Cons: short breaks
I have learnt that urban communities can take a lead in solving their health and hygiene problems if they are given the opportunity to do so. This was seen during the implementation where communities were able to do cleanup campaigns and creating waste management committees
• Interacting with community health and school health clubs was the most enjoyable – more... part because they accepted what we taught them and did more than what we expected them to do e.g. clean up campaigns
• We surpassed the set targets.
• Working with HPs and interacting with them was also enjoyable.
• The way I managed to grasp the Ndebele language and now I can comfortable communicate the language with communities.
I have built good partnership relations with the District Administrator’s office, various government line ministries, the police, community health workers, Bulawayo City Council staff, schools SDAs and community members.
Followed up on community health workers who are doing their Participatory Health and Hygiene Education to community members.
• Follow up on community health clubs meetings.
• Facilitated an Extended Area Co-ordination Committee meeting
• Facilitated the handover ceremony of Lobengula rain water harvesting tank – less
Fun and Productive Place with all Necessities
HR/IT Assistant & Acting Procurement Officer (Former Employee), Quetta, PBAJuly 17, 2013
Pros: lots of training, proper management
Cons: lobbying
CRS is worth working for, rather worth working hard for. CRS has taught me all the professional tips and trick to survive in this market. Lots of training and career growth makes CRS the best place to work for.
Condusive environment to work for helps in Networking
Executive Assistant - Kenya & Regional Program (Former Employee), NairobiMarch 13, 2013
Pros: free lunch, tea, snacks
Cons: internal trainings, workshops
Provide administrative and secretarial support to Country Representative (CR), Deputy CR, Internal Auditor, Senior Advisor Church Relations and Management Quality Director. Manages activities of personnel on board vessels and at workshop to ensure cost effective Mechanical repairs are carried out in accordance with the customer’s specification & Acceptable – more... working practices. Responsible to ensure quality of work, Official works Concerning HR Personnel Welfare e.g. sick leave, leave, Orientations, Interviews, Visa Processing, Office Admin, Accounts, and Procurement etc. In coordination with the CR and program areas prepare itineraries for visits by Local Church, donors, global solidarity partners, and Headquarter staff, Coordinate formulation of work plans, performance plans and development plans for supervisees. Handle all Travel and Events Coordination, Visitor Services, Petty Cash and other duty assigned. – less
A great Place to Work
Project Manager (Former Employee), Port-au-PrinceMarch 8, 2013
This is a great company with great benefits. They valued team work. Periodical evaluation is conducted for all level employees and training and paid tuition is provided when needed.
management lacks professionalism
Sr. Verification Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MD 21201February 25, 2013
Pros: learning environment, helping less fortunate people.
Cons: micro management, unprofessional behaivor
a typical day at work is productive but would be more productive without so many unecessary interuptons.
I have learned a great deal about several different countries all around the world.
Most co-workers are hard working team players.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with unproffesional behavior.
The most enjoyable part of my job is proving out – more... the months end accounting and contribution processes. – less
Field Auditor
Field Auditor/Audit consultant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MarylandOctober 29, 2012
Pros: pension plan, contributory 403 (3) plan, medical benefits
•Performed 11 international internal audits, extensive knowledge of programs consisting of grants from USG, USAID, UN grants, global fund, International and other donors
• Performed internal audit risk assessment, planning, work papers, audit programs, scheduling, review and reporting
• Framed audit findings; Identified root causes; Suggested practicable – more... improvements and recommendations. – less
GOOD
Unified Communication Engineer (Current Employee), baltimore MDSeptember 14, 2012
Bad management, Great building and people. Serving the poor around the world.
CRS South Sudan-Juba
WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee), United StatesJuly 13, 2012
Pros: good feeding, teamwork and others
Cons: medicare, annual breaks, profident funds
so impressing
managerial skills
teamwork
Bor Jonglei state
Catholic Relief Services(CRS)
Head of Office (Current Employee), PakistanMarch 13, 2012
Pros: education assistance facilities, medical for spouse and parents, respect and dignity
Cons: life balance, work load
CRS an international non-governmental organization established in US in 1943 with its field offices (country/outreach program) in more than 100 countries worldwide- CRS Pakistan work from 1943.
As head of office my role to implement projects successfully, reporting to donors, organizing the staff, implementation of organization polices and procedure – more... in complaince with finance, HR , logistic and general Administration. – less
Sound and Safe in all aspects. Employees feel blessed to work for CRS
Senior Auditor (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 6, 2012
Pros: great culture
Cons: sometimes run like a family organization
Large organization with lots of opportunities to work all over the world
Multicultural work place and an International NGO with several local partners
Finance Assistant (Former Employee), ABUJA, NigeriaJune 11, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch break and weekend swaps
Cons: travels to dangerous areas for partner trainings
Typical workday starts at 8am with a short meeting and lots and lots of paper work follows. Local partners send in liquidation papers for review and input.

Being my first job post college, I learned work culture in this organisation. Making friends, taking decisions, managing people, taking instructions, amongst others.

The Management is highly focused. – more... I worked with 2 different Country Directors (both American) during my short stay and my direct supervisor was the Finance Director.

Co-workers were from different background and several countries and local tribes. The organisation had a way of blending our differences and getting the best out of everyone.

Hardest part of the job was the long travels especially in unsafe areas.

Meeting people from diverse backgrounds was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Project Engineer for CRS (Former Employee), ZimbabweMarch 5, 2014
Pros: sleeping at hotels
Cons: long hours of writing reports
Borehole drilling and equipping was the main activity.I learnt a lot of geological features of the rocks and the type of rocks. Also i learnt a lot about aquifers in general and how the geological features of an area differ from one place to another.The management was very procedural and straight forward.My co workers were mostly male and the hardest – more... part of the job was report writing.The most enjoyable part was travelling. – less
Productive work place
Assistant Partners Relations Officer (Former Employee), Gaza, PalestineSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: weekly staff meeting made us change views and projects' information
Cons: -
Tasks include
- Manage project information flow, especially documents from sub-grantees.Ensure all written and verbal communications are circulated in a timely manner.
- Follow-up internally on assigned tasks with supporting departments to make sure logistical requirements for CPP activities are made for events.
- Assist the Partner Relations Officer – more... (PRO) with routine administrative duties such as filing and photocopying.
- Schedule and arrange meetings, workshops, and capacity development training courses for sub-grantees.
- Arrange and/or accompany internal and external visitors to CPP sub-grantee activities.
- Represent CRS/CPP team at partners’ events and in meetings with stakeholders.
- Helpe nsure compliance guidelines are understood and adhered to by sub-grantees.
- Assist with the review of training plans and materials for sub-grantee’s activities.
- Monitor the quality of implemented activities by sub-grantees and recommend actions for quality enhancement.
- Assist withthe coaching and capacity development of CPP sub-grantees.Help sub-grantees define their capacity development needs and work closely with them to meet these needs both at the organizational and individuals level (i.e. face-to-face mentoring, close supervision and communication of supportive feedbacks, and monitoring professional services provided to them).
- Write weekly updates as well as monthly and quarterly reports to keep program donors informed about progress the progress of sub-recipients activities and projects.
- Assist with the data quality check in coordination with the PRO andM&E Coordinator,including: validate collected data, compare data from different sources and compare actual and planned results.
- Attend staff and technical meetings and incorporate their yields in CPP processes and operations in coordination with the PRO, grant management team and finance team. – less
There were good working conditions generally and the job was not very tiring
Youth Trainer (Former Employee), KampalaJuly 17, 2013
Pros: generally good working conditions
Cons: the long hours were innevitable
Good day at work with new friends, knowledge and skills.
and I learned to approach the youth and deal with them.
The management was good and co-workers were co-operative
The hardest part of the job was dealing with youth who had too much expectations from us( they wanted money in form of sitting allowances from us facilitators) and it was heard to retain – more... the numbers for three days without assuring them of money.Good meals provided for both facilitators and attendants, was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
CRS is committed to its employees support at all levels. It provides balanced environment free from any sort of Discrimination.
PM (Education, Emergency and livelihoods) (Former Employee), Shangla/ Kohistan, KPK, PakistanFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: friendly and supportive environment.
Cons: comparatively less salaries
I have learned working within and as a team.
I am now confident in preparing needs assessment tools, collecting data through different tools, analyzing data, setting objectives, preparing reports. working on preparing packages, making formats for proper distribution of items, tracking the number of items, keeping records both in hard and soft.
I am – more... able developing project proposals, negotiating with donors for funds securing. I also have good presentation skills.

Computing data into different formats and software is also a good skill I have learned in CRS.

Conducting coaching sessions with the team. preparing plans and ensuring implementation according to the plan.

keeping time and deadlines. Monitoring the activities and the project and updating the management about the progress of the ongoing activities.

Resolving issues and finding joint solutions with the team.

The hardest part of my job was adjusting the delays had to face due to problems and nature of community work with the overall deadlines given by the donors.

The enjoybale part of my job was when I could see the families suffered with troubles once laughed with happiness. – less
Production and Meeting Objectives
Assistant Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Bulawayo, ZimbabweFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours
Cons: most contracts depend on funding available
As an NGO focus is mosltly on reaching out to the beneficiaries who are a key stakeholder, making sure,for example, they receive goods and services in quality condition and time.Even if there are plenty of trucks waiting to be loaded or offloaded with food commodities for the communities, the team spirit of every worker makes light work of every task – more... involved.With a system of segregation of duty and delegation, task is accomplished with efficiency as there will be checks and balances throught the process,with peer encouragement in a free and friendly atmosphere.When the task is achieved at the end of day, every team player feels motivated and uplifted. – less