Catholic Relief Services

Catholic Relief Services Employer Reviews

very respectable diverse place of work...
Program Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2014
Pros: diversity, benefits
Cons: advancement
Catholic Relief Services just needs to work or advancement for everyone
Great employees with a mediocre, timid, and visionless executive team
N/A (Current Employee), BaltimoreJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: decent health benefits
Cons: impossible work loads and inept managers
Most people keep their jobs by donating much time to the work. I effect the agency requires donated labor to function. The best jobs are overseas far from HQ. CRS important work and is exactly who you would want to respond to a disaster like an earthquake. Their is a high level of idealism and much of the work is top notch. But morale is low and getting – more... worse.
CRS recently stopped its defined pension plan, effectively violating a promise made to employees at hiring.
Other benefits are good. – less
Excellent Work place where teamplaying is viable for the job's proformance
Office Services Assistant/Image Center Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 1, 2013
Working for CRS meant I had the opportunity to be in the presence of a lot of God fearing people every day, These people where working hard to help people in need all around the country, they would come to work with a positive attitude to get the job done to make sure someone in a far away country have fresh water, a roof over there heads and food on – more... there tables. I was a part of that working at CRS. – less
management lacks professionalism
Sr. Verification Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MD 21201February 25, 2013
Pros: learning environment, helping less fortunate people.
Cons: micro management, unprofessional behaivor
a typical day at work is productive but would be more productive without so many unecessary interuptons.
I have learned a great deal about several different countries all around the world.
Most co-workers are hard working team players.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with unproffesional behavior.
The most enjoyable part of my job is proving out – more... the months end accounting and contribution processes. – less
Field Auditor
Field Auditor/Audit consultant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MarylandOctober 29, 2012
Pros: pension plan, contributory 403 (3) plan, medical benefits
•Performed 11 international internal audits, extensive knowledge of programs consisting of grants from USG, USAID, UN grants, global fund, International and other donors
• Performed internal audit risk assessment, planning, work papers, audit programs, scheduling, review and reporting
• Framed audit findings; Identified root causes; Suggested practicable – more... improvements and recommendations. – less
GOOD
Unified Communication Engineer (Current Employee), baltimore MDSeptember 14, 2012
Bad management, Great building and people. Serving the poor around the world.
CRS South Sudan-Juba
WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee), United StatesJuly 13, 2012
Pros: good feeding, teamwork and others
Cons: medicare, annual breaks, profident funds
so impressing
managerial skills
teamwork
Bor Jonglei state
Catholic Relief Services(CRS)
Head of Office (Current Employee), PakistanMarch 13, 2012
Pros: education assistance facilities, medical for spouse and parents, respect and dignity
Cons: life balance, work load
CRS an international non-governmental organization established in US in 1943 with its field offices (country/outreach program) in more than 100 countries worldwide- CRS Pakistan work from 1943.
As head of office my role to implement projects successfully, reporting to donors, organizing the staff, implementation of organization polices and procedure – more... in complaince with finance, HR , logistic and general Administration. – less
Sound and Safe in all aspects. Employees feel blessed to work for CRS
Senior Auditor (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 6, 2012
Pros: great culture
Cons: sometimes run like a family organization
Large organization with lots of opportunities to work all over the world
Structured work place with a lot of networking
Project Assistant (Current Employee), BulawayoOctober 1, 2014
Pros: fair remuneration and health care.
Cons: low job security to due dwindling donor funds.
A typical day at work involved serving about 250 clients. There was a solid team work, with each team member being able to do what the next staff member could do. This ensured that there was always a staff member present to serve the clients.
CRS afforded many opportunities to learn such as the SPHERE, Savings and Internal Lending Communities (SILC) – more... , Near Real time Data Capturing. The organisation has open and dedicated management which works hard to ensure employees work in optimal environment . What I found hard in this job is the absence or limited opportunities for livelihood projects to discharged clients to. This resulted in low recovery rates for clients which was a major concern for us (as CRS) and donors . However , I liked interacting with clients and compiling reports. – less
world class standards
Gender Specialist (Former Employee), Harare-ZimbabweSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: example: free lunches, accomodation to foreigners
Cons: medical care/aid
The organization strive to attain international standards in executing its work and above it give due deligence to its employees and clients.
Great
Education Intern (Former Employee), HaitiJuly 30, 2014
Great! I loved working there. I appreciate all that I learned and all that I saw in Haiti. It made me love the country and truly felt I was part of something greater than myself.
Fun in the bush
staff and their families (Former Employee), Nkhata Bay, MalawiJuly 28, 2014
As Administration Manager, my role was "to make things happen" in a difficult environment.
Multicultural work place and an International NGO with several local partners
Finance Assistant (Former Employee), ABUJA, NigeriaJune 11, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch break and weekend swaps
Cons: travels to dangerous areas for partner trainings
Typical workday starts at 8am with a short meeting and lots and lots of paper work follows. Local partners send in liquidation papers for review and input.

Being my first job post college, I learned work culture in this organisation. Making friends, taking decisions, managing people, taking instructions, amongst others.

The Management is highly focused. – more... I worked with 2 different Country Directors (both American) during my short stay and my direct supervisor was the Finance Director.

Co-workers were from different background and several countries and local tribes. The organisation had a way of blending our differences and getting the best out of everyone.

Hardest part of the job was the long travels especially in unsafe areas.

Meeting people from diverse backgrounds was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Administration Services
Administrative Assistant/ Senior Secretary (Former Employee), EthiopiaMay 14, 2014
Serves as office manager
provides administrative support for specialized activities or projects
provides agendas and staffing assistance to meetings
assists in resolving complex, highly sensitive and confidential administrative matters
responds to non-routine information requests
creates and maintains administrative databases
performs related duties – more... as required – less
A development organization.
Translator (Current Employee), DhakaApril 7, 2014
Pros: i can work on my own time. that is important as this is my second job.
Cons: lack of job security
I translate as a freelance consultant for the organization.
Project Engineer for CRS (Former Employee), ZimbabweMarch 5, 2014
Pros: sleeping at hotels
Cons: long hours of writing reports
Borehole drilling and equipping was the main activity.I learnt a lot of geological features of the rocks and the type of rocks. Also i learnt a lot about aquifers in general and how the geological features of an area differ from one place to another.The management was very procedural and straight forward.My co workers were mostly male and the hardest – more... part of the job was report writing.The most enjoyable part was travelling. – less
Productive work place
Assistant Partners Relations Officer (Former Employee), Gaza, PalestineSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: weekly staff meeting made us change views and projects' information
Cons: -
Tasks include
- Manage project information flow, especially documents from sub-grantees.Ensure all written and verbal communications are circulated in a timely manner.
- Follow-up internally on assigned tasks with supporting departments to make sure logistical requirements for CPP activities are made for events.
- Assist the Partner Relations Officer – more... (PRO) with routine administrative duties such as filing and photocopying.
- Schedule and arrange meetings, workshops, and capacity development training courses for sub-grantees.
- Arrange and/or accompany internal and external visitors to CPP sub-grantee activities.
- Represent CRS/CPP team at partners’ events and in meetings with stakeholders.
- Helpe nsure compliance guidelines are understood and adhered to by sub-grantees.
- Assist with the review of training plans and materials for sub-grantee’s activities.
- Monitor the quality of implemented activities by sub-grantees and recommend actions for quality enhancement.
- Assist withthe coaching and capacity development of CPP sub-grantees.Help sub-grantees define their capacity development needs and work closely with them to meet these needs both at the organizational and individuals level (i.e. face-to-face mentoring, close supervision and communication of supportive feedbacks, and monitoring professional services provided to them).
- Write weekly updates as well as monthly and quarterly reports to keep program donors informed about progress the progress of sub-recipients activities and projects.
- Assist with the data quality check in coordination with the PRO andM&E Coordinator,including: validate collected data, compare data from different sources and compare actual and planned results.
- Attend staff and technical meetings and incorporate their yields in CPP processes and operations in coordination with the PRO, grant management team and finance team. – less
Very Productive
Technical Expert (Former Employee), New Delhi- IndiaAugust 21, 2013
Pros: freedom to work
Day at work was quite full of work, provided chance to utilise learnings and skills.
Avery good place to work for
Technical WASH Advisor (Current Employee), BulawayoAugust 8, 2013
Pros: perdiums when we go out
Cons: short breaks
I have learnt that urban communities can take a lead in solving their health and hygiene problems if they are given the opportunity to do so. This was seen during the implementation where communities were able to do cleanup campaigns and creating waste management committees
• Interacting with community health and school health clubs was the most enjoyable – more... part because they accepted what we taught them and did more than what we expected them to do e.g. clean up campaigns
• We surpassed the set targets.
• Working with HPs and interacting with them was also enjoyable.
• The way I managed to grasp the Ndebele language and now I can comfortable communicate the language with communities.
I have built good partnership relations with the District Administrator’s office, various government line ministries, the police, community health workers, Bulawayo City Council staff, schools SDAs and community members.
Followed up on community health workers who are doing their Participatory Health and Hygiene Education to community members.
• Follow up on community health clubs meetings.
• Facilitated an Extended Area Co-ordination Committee meeting
• Facilitated the handover ceremony of Lobengula rain water harvesting tank – less