Catholic Relief Services

Catholic Relief Services Employee Reviews

Great employees with a mediocre, timid, and visionless executive team
N/A (Current Employee) –  BaltimoreJanuary 15, 2014
Most people keep their jobs by donating much time to the work. I effect the agency requires donated labor to function. The best jobs are overseas far from HQ. CRS important work and is exactly who you would want to respond to a disaster like an earthquake. Their is a high level of idealism and much of the work is top notch. But morale is low and getting worse.
CRS recently stopped its defined pension plan, effectively violating a promise made to employees at hiring.
Other benefits are good.
Pros
decent health benefits
Cons
impossible work loads and inept managers
Grants and Contracts
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 9, 2015
Being in this field for 9 years have equipped me with considerable experience in the post award management. I have considerable experience in dealing with local organizations and governmental institutions and a thorough knowledge of the processes and procedures of USAID rules and regulations, AIDAR, FAR, ADSs and OMB circulars. I have an international experience. I work well with people and teams and enjoy getting the work at hand completed and meeting deadlines.
Field Auditor
Field Auditor/Audit consultant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MarylandOctober 29, 2012
•Performed 11 international internal audits, extensive knowledge of programs consisting of grants from USG, USAID, UN grants, global fund, International and other donors
• Performed internal audit risk assessment, planning, work papers, audit programs, scheduling, review and reporting
• Framed audit findings; Identified root causes; Suggested practicable improvements and recommendations.
Pros
pension plan, contributory 403 (3) plan, medical benefits
Family drive organization
Subcontracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 18, 2015
Catholic relief services can be a very challenging especially overseas with the areas that were in but, over all the most enjoyable part of is serving the people.
Pros
Job security
Cons
very respectable diverse place of work...
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2014
Catholic Relief Services just needs to work or advancement for everyone
Pros
diversity, benefits
Cons
advancement
very political - unable to advance other than aspirationally
us operations (Current Employee) –  baltimore, mdMarch 20, 2015
this company is in an extreme state of disarray. the silos that exist across departments cause the environment to be one that is palatably hostile. Unless you are willing to go into a role here with the uderstanding that it is not for you to enact change, but for the firm fist of the Executive Leadership Team to dictate across all areas especially those which they do not understand.

The whole environment is one that quakes when bas press occurs adding to the disarray and as with religions of old, there is going to have to be a sacrificed position and it is a culture of last in/first out.
Pros
403c matching
Cons
culture, environment, parking, morale
Very hypocrtical environment
Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 23, 2015
I have learned how to process checks online. I have learned to be more accurate and detailed oriented.
A typical day consist of being very detailed when verifying and processing donations.
Management is unprofessional.
I love my job because I get to help those in need.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Gets treatment like a child
A reputable, productive, caring learning organisation full of qualified, committed and professional workforce.Faith based and rewarding Organization
Administration Manager (Current Employee) –  The Gambia, West AfricaJune 8, 2015
A typical day At Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is evident of Busy, focus, deliver quality services and on time. I learn Good behavior, professionalism and work towards operational excellence. We work as a team as one CRS family. Procurement during emergencies (flood, displaced people) have never been easy, very challenging. I love travelling up-country visiting projects and partner offices on quarterly basis.
management lacks professionalism
Sr. Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21201February 25, 2013
a typical day at work is productive but would be more productive without so many unecessary interuptons.
I have learned a great deal about several different countries all around the world.
Most co-workers are hard working team players.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with unproffesional behavior.
The most enjoyable part of my job is proving out the months end accounting and contribution processes.
Pros
learning environment, helping less fortunate people.
Cons
micro management, unprofessional behaivor
Catholic Relief Services(CRS)
Head of Office (Current Employee) –  PakistanMarch 13, 2012
CRS an international non-governmental organization established in US in 1943 with its field offices (country/outreach program) in more than 100 countries worldwide- CRS Pakistan work from 1943.
As head of office my role to implement projects successfully, reporting to donors, organizing the staff, implementation of organization polices and procedure in complaince with finance, HR , logistic and general Administration.
Pros
education assistance facilities, medical for spouse and parents, respect and dignity
Cons
life balance, work load
Excellent Work place where teamplaying is viable for the job's proformance
Office Services Assistant/Image Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 1, 2013
Working for CRS meant I had the opportunity to be in the presence of a lot of God fearing people every day, These people where working hard to help people in need all around the country, they would come to work with a positive attitude to get the job done to make sure someone in a far away country have fresh water, a roof over there heads and food on there tables. I was a part of that working at CRS.
Great company to work for
Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 2, 2015
If you are looking to enhance the lives of others, this is the company to work for. Catholic Relief Services provides an opportunity for folks to give their skills and talents to a great cause....helping those less fortunate. Awesome feel at the end of the day.
Learned a lot about the operational side of international development
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 3, 2014
I learned a lot from colleagues and the summer conferences. It was really interesting to see the 'behind-the-scenes' HR tasks required to create a successful humanitarian aid organization like CRS. Everyone was very friendly and open to help. I was exposed to a great variety of projects and enjoyed the office
Sound and Safe in all aspects. Employees feel blessed to work for CRS
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 6, 2012
Large organization with lots of opportunities to work all over the world
Pros
great culture
Cons
sometimes run like a family organization
Good
Unified Communication Engineer (Current Employee) –  baltimore MDSeptember 14, 2012
Bad management, Great building and people. Serving the poor around the world.
CRS South Sudan-Juba
WAREHOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 13, 2012
so impressing
managerial skills
teamwork
Bor Jonglei state
Pros
good feeding, teamwork and others
Cons
medicare, annual breaks, profident funds