Catholic Social Services Employee Reviews

Fun and Exciting
In Home Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrigada, GUNovember 29, 2015
Great People Great Management Reason For Job Hunting is just to see what other opportunities I Might Have out there It helps Gain that experience in caring for elderly Adults who need special care and helps you learn to better yourself in taking care of your loved ones
Pros
Great people Great Management
Cons
no retirement or 401k
To provide assistance to Homeless families
Shelter Worker (Former Employee) –  Guam, GUJuly 6, 2016
This is a good company. Very heart warming, with all the donations that are turned into for the Homeless families. I learned not to take anything for granted and to treat everybody equal. My co-workers were very inspiring. The hardest this about this job, is to make sure all the clients are safe and that they all get along. The most enjoyable part in this job, is to see a Homeless family have a home and the smiles on their children's faces.
Not bad
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MAAugust 8, 2013
Here you will get to help people, and work with many great people who also want to help others. They are very focused on money - paying bills for clients, providing financial counseling for clients, and not much else. The primary focus is money management, the expectation is that you will refer the client to another agency to deal with any other issues. I was disappointed with how behind the times the agency is, the only thing they regularly use their computers for is email! There is some serious nepotism, but also a lot of trust of their employees. They run on grants, so no one's job is safe except the family members'. As long as you don't try to rock the boat its not a bad place to work and the staff is very friendly.
Pros
great coworkers, flexible scheduling, independance
Cons
lack of benefits, unstable funding, nepotism, money-focused
Religious based social service agency
INTAKE SPECIALIST/COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILJuly 19, 2016
As the admin asst, I wore many hats. I wore hats that included: point of contact for agency, secretarial, intake, bookkeeping, scheduling, assisting in event planning/prep
Pros
Excellent supervision
Great enirovmnent
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Coatesville, PAOctober 12, 2015
Great benefits, friendly team, lots of holidays off and extra holidays that other agencies don't have. The diocese has many different dept you can move around with-in after 1yr probation.
feel good helping people that are in needs
Housing Counseling & Basic Needs Advocate (Current Employee) –  Fall River MA & New Bedford MAAugust 30, 2013
Provide basic and emergency needs to families with pressing needs as of assistance on public benefits, rental assistance, utilities, furniture, etc.; participating in weekly supervision with Emergency Needs Supervisor.I learned on how to deal with all kind of problem tha people are facing on the daily living. All my co-workers are wonderful feel good having them around me, is like working with family. The hardest part of my job is when you try to help and there is no solution to assist them. The most enjoyablle part of my job is when you find a solution to the problems they are facing and they give you a big smile with gratitud it make me feel wonderful
Supportive and productive environment. Very busy workplace, great coworkers.
ACA/Corrections Technician & Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PASeptember 6, 2013
Generally my job was an 9-5 position; however, during inspection season it could be from 7/8am until 7/8pm. There was never a day that I wasn't very busy; however, I thrive in that type of environment. I very much enjoyed this job, my coworkers and my supervisor. I enjoyed working directly with correctional residents when necessary and felt a sense of accomplishment and necessity as part of a team.
Pros
Excellent coworkers and supervisors
Cons
Social Services agency compensation
Alot of smiling faces
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Barrigada, GUMay 20, 2016
.I love this job working in the Western Pacific getting the chance to work with many different nationalities.Running the front office was alot but i mist say i would do this job all over again.
Clients
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrigada, GUMay 27, 2016
Working for this company is very rewarding and the clients are wonderful. I enjoyed my time working here. I miss the clients and my co workers
good work environment
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrigada, GUApril 30, 2016
Provides excellent training and certifications are always up to date. Family environment. Hands on workplace teaching ADL/IADL. Providing extraordinary care for those in need of services.
A good working place.
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Pago Pago, ASDecember 11, 2015
Meeting new people with so many different problems and trying to help them help themselves so that they will be able to become better people. Learned to help women of domestic violence with the help of the management and staff. The hardest part of the job was to Listening to the problems of the clients and how much they went through in life or why. Everything about my job was enjoyable.
Pros
Training's
Cons
Short breaks
Fairly good company
Intensive Case Management (SAMHSA) (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PaJune 26, 2012
C.S.S. is not the worst company to work for. They are a good stable job to have and they will train you in many areas. This is a great place to start if you are just out of college, you get a ton of experience
Pros
weekends off, lots of paid holidays and vacation time.
Cons
horrible compensation.
State of IL
Chief Program Officer (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILJuly 26, 2015
Christian Social Service, d.b.a.Caritas Family Solutions is mission driven to serve foster children, adults with disabilities, the elderly, people trying to get back into the workforce, and kids in danger of being incarcerated. Staff hold to the mission pretty well, even though the State continues to make it harder to meet their expectations. Non-profits in general are forced to do more with less on a regular basis.

The agency is forward thinking in most areas and focused on meeting the expectations set by the State. Typically Caritas is at or very near the top of the ladder for making/exceeding the State's goals. This is not an easy thing to do, and an intended result is that the State fosters competition between similar agencies.

Caritas pays fairly and generally has a healthy number of opportunities for a person to advance.
Pros
Pay, advancement opportunities
Cons
High pressure, need to be adaptable to change on a regular basis
Catholic Social Services
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 3, 2012
Excellent compensation. Excellent time-off and benefits. Great benefits for the community.
Pros
excellent company
Cons
contract ended with state of michigan
Very socially rewarding
STAFF ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MAJune 26, 2015
Staff Accountant

Daily work routine would be preparing deposits, entering accounts payable bills and reviewing aged receivables. The other work would be done as needed would include audit preparation ( depreciation schedules, prepaid schedules), recording purchases and sales of properties, write-offs for tenants and any other financial task needed.

It was a small department that basically had no room for advancement just a few staff accounts reporting to one CFO.
Pros
Four day work schedule
Cons
expensive health insurance
Great afterschool program!
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 18, 2015
This was an amazing place to work while in high school, and summers home from college. Great group leader skills were learned here. Overall, a very fun and safe place to work at.
Great JOB!!
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MADecember 9, 2013
A typical day at CP was that I provided care for patients, passing out medicine, and doing chores for them. I learned how to work under pressure. Management was great, always in contact. I didn't have co workers. The hardest part of the job was lifting the patients, and transporting patients because i was not provided a company vehicle but i had to transport them in my personal car. Enjoyable part of my job was that the patients were happy to be in my care.
Pros
Scheduling, Healthcare and management
Cons
Budget Cut Back.
Productive and fun place to work. The staff was very supportive
Lead Case Manager/Transitional Housing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 1, 2012
Job duties included crisis intervention, case management, linking individuals to various resources in the community depending on client's needs. Learned a great deal about families deling with various issues that lead to homelessness such as: unemployment, health, financial difficulties, domestic violence, mental health, addictions.l
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
no room for improvement
Helping others help themselves
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2014
My days at Catholic Social Services(CSS) tend are busy. I do intake for an office with 6 staff via telephone or walk-in clients. As a nonprofit, CSS has allowed me to wear many hats. I see clients providing food, rental and utility assistance. I serve as office manager, ordering supplies and light accounting needs. I report directly to our Administrator. The hardest part of my job would be the phone calls from those I am unable to help at the present time due to lack of funding. the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing we are a place client can come to for assistance.
Pros
great healthcare, close to home
A very good place to Truely Make a difference
Assistant Case Worker/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamuning, GUMarch 3, 2014
Hard Work- but very much worth it.
Part of my growing pains.
Sometimes when I look back on it, I believe it should be a required course in school,that way,if at least they are able to be exposed at school, it would truely be very educational.
CATHOLIC SOCIAL SERVICES (CSS) is a NON-PROFIT Organization who has and still continues to provide assistance to various people in need of assistance.
Pros
Truely felt when I was able to make some things better for someone who truely is in need.
Cons
Very Frustrating as well as heart-breaking at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catholic Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.