Cato Corporation Employee Reviews

In-field employees are not given recognition for their hard work
Corporate Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 12, 2017
The workload does not match what you should be paid. The company is never on the same page. People are put into management position without the proper training which sets you up to fail. Little room for growth.
Cons
Low pay, no room for growth, qualfied employees are not giving the opportunity to move up in the company, proper training is not giving which sets you up for failure, long hours, no recognition for a job well done
Cato
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCJanuary 10, 2017
as an assistant manager you are frequently going to have to either open or close, but the job itself isn't bad. scheduling is easy enough as well as keeping up with stock.
Great place to work!
Customer Service Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Junction City, KSJanuary 8, 2017
I LOVE working at Cato. They are fantastic about working with your schedule and it is honestly one of the best work environments that I have ever been in.
It was a job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Newberry, SCJanuary 7, 2017
If you are in high school seeking an entry-level position, this may work. However, if you are over the age of 18 and or have a family, the schedule and compensation is far less than desirable. If I remember correctly, in 2014, the pay was around 7.50 as an assistant manager; I doubt it has increased much since that time.

The store manager in the Newberry, SC store was not promoted to store manager because she was qualified, but because she had been there the longest. She lacked the knowledge required for employees to make bonuses, due to an inability to properly calculate and determine goals based on the previous year's numbers. Thus, a bonus may be missed by a mere 5.00.

The store manager was not a team player. She was a boss, that is, she was not a leader. She worked the minimum amount of hours required and did enough to keep her employment. However, shame on Cato for not disciplining when necessary.

Loss prevention is a disaster and I feel new management is needed.
Pros
It was close to home.
Cons
Just about everything else.
Fun work place with minimal hours
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gardendale, ALJanuary 6, 2017
I enjoyed the customers and the products that I represented. The Brand is wonderful and the styles worked for so many women.
My favorite part was seeing a customer who thought her weight meant she could not look good, then finding the perfect outfit to make her eyes light up.

I disliked that many times, a customer thought stealing was the way to get the item. It was hard to find all the missing tags and inventory that was no longer in the store.

We were offered insurance, but rarely could afford to get the higher grade due to being kept at a maximum of 22 hours a week. Very rarely did we get more then 25 and we were never allowed to work 30.

Our district manager made sure we were trained and had the best knowledge of the company and out part in it as she could. It was very beneifical to have a DM that was a part of each office, and clearly cared for the company.
Pros
Discounts, Fun enviornment, Great district manager
Cons
Low hours, theft issues
Fun work environment
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCJanuary 4, 2017
Cato is a good company to work for especially if you are into fashion. A typical day would consist of helping customer find clothes to fit their needs which could range from going to a special event or just shopping in general. You have to assist customers in the dressing room area. Keep displays and merchandise up to company standards. There really wasn't a hard part about this job. Most enjoyable part was getting to shop where you work!
Pros
company discount on merchandise in store and sister companies as well
Cons
Not enough breaks
Terrible
Cato Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ocoee, FLJanuary 3, 2017
you may think its a pretty good place once you start.
but it really inst good at all they are terrible with schedule and management and the coworkers just suck
Decent place to work/
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 2, 2017
The turn over rate is very high, so it makes it easy to advance with the company fairly quickly. The rate of pay is very low!
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCDecember 31, 2016
come in and open the store and make sure its clean and get the store ready to open and the employees what they need to get done that day
Ive learned how to manage a store and how to work well with a group of people
the management was great helped with everything and gave the correct amount of training
The coworkers were great caring and willing to help with anything
I'd say the best part about the job was the coworkers
Pros
Discounts on clothes
Cons
short lunches
Inchecked Manic Manager!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNDecember 30, 2016
Manager at the Collegedale Tn store is a tyrant and despite complaints Cato has done nothing. Therefore the manager K*** continues to run off good employees and slanders n threatens workers. Honestly! It just blows my mind.
Pros
Cons
Pay and no recourse for BAD Managers.
Great for people who enjoy working in customer service and you build relationships with coworkers because it's a smaller store.
1st Assistant (Current Employee) –  Union City, TNDecember 29, 2016
Learned a lot about management working here and built some great relationships with coworkers and shoppers through my years working at Cato.
Pros
being able to help customers find what they need
Cons
pay, benefits aren't the best.
Cato
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, ALDecember 29, 2016
Cato is a great place to work. I currently work there as a Sale Associate. I've been there for almost a year now. I work the register and help costumes into the fitting room. If anyone need help with anything I helped them out as well.
Pros
Great place to work, very sweet community
Cons
Not as busy during the summer
great 1st job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 28, 2016
A fun place to learn the ropes of customer service and retail. Enjoyed helping customers find clothing that matched their style and personality. Fun place to be.
Great customer service
1st Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Yukon, OKDecember 28, 2016
very difficult company to work for .. Management is very unprofessional very low pay so a constant turn over in employees.
Pros
Great cloths
Cons
Dont learn very much .. Nobody knows what they are doing
Loved It!
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 28, 2016
I loved working here management was great and I loved my employee discount to all of the CATO Corp branches. The only thing negative about this place was the pay (minimum wage). My store was very relaxed with sales and they didn't force us to be pushy like a lot of other retailers. The hours were good enough for me and they were willing to work with you on the days you requested off. I really liked this place!
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Enterprise, ALDecember 25, 2016
Typically when I came in to the store I would get my cash drawer and sign on to the register. I helped assist customers with fitting rooms, helped clean and organize the store, and also prepared new merchandise for the sales floor. The manager was very nice and always willing to help train the associates. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was probably helping take inventory because there was just some much product to go through and not much time to do it. The best part was being able to work with people and having a store discount.
Second rate
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaDecember 23, 2016
Outdated equipment, operating system, and communication methods. Ineffective training methods, minimal support from home office. Locations of stores are free standing and generally in rural areas or suburbs, but lack updating and remodeling. This company needs to advance its software and eliminate the amount of necessary paperwork. Benefits are too expensive by comparison to what else is available in the market.
Pros
fairly priced merchandise for its quality, minimal signage, no constant sale changes/coupons
Cons
Rude upper management, poor benefits/incentives, massive paper waste
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Live Oak, FLDecember 20, 2016
I have learned so much while working at Cato, time management, organizational skills, team work, I enjoy picking out outfits for customers, and working floor sets, my co-works are eager to help and learn how to set the displays, there is nothing hard about my job.
Pros
paid time off for FT managers
Cons
healthcare
Just a high school job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXDecember 19, 2016
It was your normal high school job, lots of hours, little pay, the only negative thing was the staff didn't always handle things in a professional manner.
Great job
Maintenance accountant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 13, 2016
Maintenance coordinator, billing, filing, customer service, service manager for certain US assigned territory. Troubleshooting while maintaining a solution within budget

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cato Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9