Cato Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Serving custome and balancing registers
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 27, 2016
 Merchandised clothing, accessories, and shoes.
 Supervised a staff of 4 associates.
 Performed administrative duties including balancing registers, prepare bank deposits, and managing inventory.
 Serving customer, including assisting them in finding items that suit them and letting know about discounts
There was no benefits that I can remember
Pros
merchadising and stock
Cons
never recieve store
big turn over with this company with employees
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Marion, INJuly 22, 2016
great company to work for.but the store was just in a bad neighborhood and so the crime was very high and very dangerous at night or to work alone was never safe.
Pros
high employment turn over
Cons
room for advancement
Productive Place
Custom Service (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAJuly 21, 2016
I learned that team work is very important , Management was okay also my co workers were very easy to work with but got their work done. The hardest part of my job was nothing. The most enjoyable part was coming in and helping the customers.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Heathcare, The pay
Its very cut throat there with sales
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edenton, NCJuly 18, 2016
I open and closed the store and went to the bank to deposit money an make change. I also did make downs, and cashiered. It was hard to make sales goals in a poor town.
Pros
moved up fast
Cons
not enough employees or hours
Tough start
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 17, 2016
Can be a really easy job once you finishing training yourself because they don't train you for the position. Even if you are a very fast learner,it's a difficult job at first.
Productive work environment, not friendly or an honest place to seek a part time position
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJuly 11, 2016
The responsibilities and stresses that came with the part time position were ridiculous for what it paid. I loved my customers', they actually had a genuine care for us workers and had more respect for us than our management could provide. Customers' made the days more enjoyable. The job was not hard, upper management did not make it easy. I learned quickly that it is better to keep to yourself, do your job, assist your customers' and go home at the end of the day. I learned a lot from my customers' in all honesty, I met so many different cultural aspects and grasped a better understanding on different perspectives.
Pros
the customers
Cons
no vacation for part time employees, just one break (lunch) offered, pay, dishonest management, less than 15 hours per work week
Every girl loves to shop
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pontotoc, MSJuly 11, 2016
This job was fun dealing with customers and showing them kindness. I also loved the crew I work with. The ladies there were all kind and loving on my 1st real job.
Great company that invests in the people they hire and always try to promote from within.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 9, 2016
Cato was a great company especially, being a new manager, to learn all the aspects of store Management and the importance of P&L reports.
Unprofessional Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 8, 2016
Pay was decent for being a 19 year old at the time. Higher management was very rude and unprofessional. GM was extremely rude. Overall negative workplace
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unprofessional atmosphere
Busy place to work.
Assistant Manager - Customer service (Former Employee) –  Lampasas, TXJuly 8, 2016
While I was employed at CATO I was a 2nd Assistant Manager, so I have to balance my employees, paperwork, break schedules, and make sure my customers received the best service. I have also tried to conduct myself in a way that makes my customers feel like family. I treat them how I expect to be treated when I go into a business.
Pros
Amazing customers
Cons
Late nights away from family
Small business with great opportunities
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 6, 2016
On days I was scheduled to open I would go through all of the opening procedures and help morning employees with their duties, I would schedule lunches and make sure everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing that day, loved working with the people but there was not much opportunity to advance
fun to work with customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Starke, FLJuly 6, 2016
the hardest part of the job was fixing manicans and dressing them the way they were suppose to. most days were slow some were fast and fun.
Good Place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 1, 2016
Your day includes sales, inventory control, stocking and maintaining the store. The job also, included hiring and training new employees. Travel to fashion shows and meetings was required.
Pros
The ability to work shift work and traveling
Cons
Working long hours and being on call
Great communication, great work ethic
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHJune 30, 2016
Cato Fashion has a full proof system to ensure top quality products and customer service to any and all customers. The store is always fashion trendy, up-to-date as well as neat and clean. The price system is amazing.
Pros
20% discount on all products including clearance items.
Cons
Slow advancement
Fast pace and fun place to work. Constantly busy.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mt. Sterling, KYJune 29, 2016
Never have downtime. Customer service is very important. Gained tons of experience in payroll, scheduling, management, sales, customer service and stock.
It's a good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Silsbee, TXJune 22, 2016
Took care of customers needs. Helped them with finding outfits for special occasions. Most enjoyable was interacting with people. Hardest part was having to rearrange the whole store.
Love the relationship built with customers and co- workers. Live helping people with fashion ideas.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
CATO is it self as a store is very deceiving. The general staff are great but upper mangement doesn't care one bit about you. They distrust their staff, treat everyone as theift and the real theives wlk away scott free! Work you like a dog for very little pay, no raises, no appreciation just added work. Consistent write ups for minor in fractions to pad your file to prevent unemployment claims. No hours in the store, frequent turn overs due to under pay and added work requirements. The hiring sing states full& part time position yet on full time position is store manager, that is the only person that get paid holidays& vacation. Everyone else is part time with no vacation. Long holiday hours with no holiday pay. Corporate is in consistent with store policies& procedures. Poor communication. This has been the worst company I have ever worked for. Do not apply you would do better at any other retail store then here trust me! You will be gone in 3 months!!!!! I only stayed because of financial reasons, but trust me I was always looking when they allowed days off. People were quitting so much never a free schedule.
Pros
Employee discount, my customers
Cons
poor hours, pay, bad corporate management
4 out of 5
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCJune 20, 2016
All in all I'd have to say working for Cato's Fashion has it's flaws but as well as its pros.
One of the pros and cons working is you get benefits but the thing about the cons is you have to work there for a very long period of time. I believe managers especially should get them right off or if you've worked there for a long period of time.
The breaks you got seemed pretty fair. However, you need more doctor days excused, some of us have kids and do not have help so if it very difficult to manage at times. Another con would be a flexible work schedule, especially with lack of hours. As far as the staff goes, they were understanding and polite. I love the fact they had each others back. As well as helping one another.
Pros
Benefits, Breaks
Cons
Hours
Review
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, TXJune 17, 2016
I was in school when I started working there. It was fun at first because it was new and I'm a fast learner. The hardest part was honestly the customer service, I would like to classify myself as a warm person, but sometimes someone wouldn't be having the best day and they'd like to take it out on me or one of my managers. One thing I can say I learned is to never let it get to you, you never know what kind of day they've had. The most enjoyable thing was my loyal customers and my co-workers. We often had inside jokes with the elderly ladies who would come in and their company was a daily treat.
Excellent updated technology to review business.
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 16, 2016
Job entailed too much travel-time at that time.
Great opportunity to negotiate with various company presidents and vice-presidents.
Great data tech staff to manage and relate areas to designate goods
to send to various stores (almost 500 locations at that time).
The most challenging part of the job was selecting enough of the right style goods for a vast assortment of customers and price competitively and still maximize GMROI (Gross margin return on investments)
The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing a well devised aggressive plan be exceeded by expected sales goals.
I enjoyed working as the leader of several staff members as we all shared learning experiences. There was a growing respect for all efforts put forth to accomplish the mission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cato Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9