CB&I Employee Reviews in United States

Big company. Good senior leadership. Good high level strategy.
Director - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2016
Overall, CB&I is a good company with an excellent high level strategy. The company has aligned to be the leader in the "energy infrastructure" space.

The acquiring of of Shaw/Stone&Webster was a mistake. However, at the time, it made sense and was a good risk. It just didn't pan out.

Now the company is focused on markets were they are successful and should be successful going forward.

The company's benefits and compensation are from the dark ages. They don't like telecommuters. Benefits are subpar - compared to other employers. Compensation lacks any sort of incentive component.

Your employment with the company will be tied to the success of the business-line or project that you're associated with. So, if there's a change in direction or projects ends, so will your job. But, that's no different than anyplace else.

This sounds pretty negative, so far. But, i just wanted to paint a picture of the reality.

They company does good work. They have an international footprint and are poised for future growth. CB&I has a long legacy that will continue for many decades.
Pros
Large company. Good training.
Cons
Mediocre compensation and benefits.
Opportunities to learn new skills and perform new job functions.
Engineering Assistant Document Control (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 25, 2016
I have been given multiple opportunities to learn new skills and perform new job functions. Ability to grow in knowledge and performance.
Pros
Variety of people
Cons
Low salary
Wonderful place to work
Procedure Writer (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 10, 2016
Never before had I worked at a place with such a great group of people; everyone is warm, friendly, and understanding. While these are wonderful qualities to find in one's co-workers, there is the matter of how it affects your work and your career. There wasn't a scale for quality, but rather a standard of "good enough." Advancement is rare. There are not clear goals laid out for those wishing to advance their career. Further, even if those goals were met, there is the matter of it meaning anything to upper management. Communication between departments and levels of management have been a reoccurring problem since the company opened their doors.
Excellent employer
I&C Designer (Current Employee) –  Savanah River Site, SCJanuary 3, 2016
CB&I is a great company to work for. Very professional team with good benefits. The management is friendly provides an excellent environment for work.
Great Job
Journeyman craftsman (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXNovember 28, 2015
best job i ever had.would like to go back to work for them. benefits were great.. plenty of room for advancement. The job was in tyler tx
Pros
pay good, benifits were good, pleanty of room for advancement
Cons
no cons
Great company to work for
Millwright-Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALDecember 9, 2015
I loved working for CBI the company had great benefits, pay was decent, supervisors were really easy going and would would along with you. Loved the 4-10 schedule.
Cb&I
Rigger (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, TXOctober 11, 2015
CB&I is a great company and found that the up management will take the time to help one of the workers to advance within the company.
CB&I also strongly believes on their Safety program. They are looking everyday to find a better and safer way for their employees to go home each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Locations of jobs
Nothing out of the ordinary
Scheduler II (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMay 25, 2016
Typical work day is pretty routine, I have learned alot about Primavera P6 and welded plate structures, Management is professional for the most part but sometimes lacks accountability enforcement. My peers, for the most part, try to get the job done and overcome hurtles on a daily basis but sometime lack of support from adjacent department making it difficult at times. Communication is a must. The hardest part of the job is gathering information from supporting departments. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone comes together and gets the job done.
Pros
Good pay, Weekends off, reasonable work hours, nice facility
Cons
lack of communication between supporting departments
Great company to work for.
Site Superintendent/Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Eureka, CASeptember 25, 2015
CBI is a very large company that takes care of it's employees. The job I was on was very challenging. It is the decommissioning and demolition of a nuclear power plant. CBI takes safety very seriously and this is an important aspect of any employer. I appreciated that.
Pros
Good benefits. Great people!
Safety cultured, good management
Lead Piping Planner (Former Employee) –  Theodore, ALOctober 16, 2015
Good management, safe work place, benefits were above average.
jobs were well planned out and all special tool needs were provided.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 17, 2015
I enjoy feeling like part of an important team and taking lead and ownership of projects. I probably spend most of my time on and off-site thinking of ways to improve my work habits, client relations, business relationships and management of personnel on-site. I also enjoy designing equipment parts, functioning mechanical equipment and other improved applications of material handling equipment. This portion of my job really creates a feeling of accomplishment and fulfills my career choice as a field engineer and project manager. This company really allows the freedom needed for one to excel in the field that you may want to pursue.
Pros
free lunches and nice dine very friendly work environment
Cons
far travel, and no company vehicle.
Very critical and high pressure job. being a Nuclear Project
QC Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 16, 2016
Typical day was reviewing WPS's, PIS's,. Overall dimensions, Procedures, Job Site Procedures. Meetings with clients on their products. Certifying Inspectors.Welding Inspection. Gained more knowledge of all Specifications ASME,AWS, B31.1D1.6, B31.3, D1.1, Everyone there was great to work with. Get the vendors to understand how important it was for them to get it correct the first time. When we as a company were able to meet the deadlines give to us by our client.
Pros
Provided us the chance to gain more certifications
Cons
Was there for 6 years and was looking to retire from a company like that.
GE Supply / Questron Aerospace Logistics
Spare Parts Administrator / Buyer II (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 2, 2016
GE Supply Logistics bought out Questron Aerospace Logistics. GE's management style is rated very low and they just don't seem to care about the work/life balance of the employee.
Pros
Hours
Productive and Safety is number 1
Safety Specialist MaintenanceWorkCapital Projects (Current Employee) –  Metropolis, ILSeptember 7, 2015
Productive and Safety the number one priority. In the Nuclear business safety is always first so Honeywell strives in the knowledge and attaining our number 1 goal in 0 work accidents and incidents.
Pros
excellent pay, great benefits, great people to work with
Cons
live to far from where I grew up from
CB&I gives employees great avenues for advancement in different areas.
Proposals Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 16, 2015
CB&I gives employees great avenues for advancement in different areas. Management challenges you often with new and exciting opportunities and really allow you to climb the corporate ladder quickly.
Pros
Lots of opprotunities, challenging, great culture, awesome benefits
Cons
Too many corporate rules to follow made it difficult to actually accomplish project tasks
Great
security (Former Employee) –  baton rouge, LaSeptember 29, 2015
Good environment, great pay, benefits and opportunity to advance. The employees are easy to work with at times competitive but all natural in advancing.
Limited communications, made the best of a difficult situation
Civil Construction Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 20, 2016
Typical day consisted of directing craft folks to repair emergent power plant issues for client and supporting unexpected unit outages as required along with staffing manpower for week to week project work. Co-workers supported each other to complete tasks. The most enjoyable part was meeting and getting to know the craft personnel while working on the Navajo Reservation.
Pros
company truck provided due to no per diem
Cons
company truck removed still no per diem
Productive place to work at. Employees are respectful and show professionalism in attitude.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2015
While employed at Chicago Bridge and Iron I developed new and improved skills that would take me to another level in upper management. Learn new things in the work place is something I enjoy adapting to.
I was manager over time sheets, making sure sheets are accurately entered on a timely basis. Working with a department of professional coworkers who are open to assist. For instant, coverage when any one of us was out of the office. Learning new software is another issue that requires help at any point in time.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours to complete the task at hand. The best part of this job is assisting and training a new employee that come aboard.
Pros
Lunch and learns. When you are in a busy mode you recieve a free lunch.
Cons
Compensation of pay should be rewarded more often with experience.
Productive Workplace
Lutech Contractor Services (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 28, 2015
Very friendly coworkers and feel like a valued member of the team. - Everyone is willing to help. - Friendly atmosphere to work in. - Great starting salary - Part of a historic project
Not Beneficial Unless You Know Someone
Senior Materials Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walker, Louisiana - SunlandJuly 13, 2015
This is a great company to work for, if you are in the in crowd. Pay is average. Job descriptions are usually hit or miss. Company usually doesn't give you the full description that they are really hiring for. Hours flip flop literally almost every week. Management is a hit or miss. I worked for this company for 5 years and there have been 1 or 2 managers that gave an attempt at being decent people. Other than that, it's hard to even have management know you exists, unless they need your help with something they don't know how to do. Compensation isn't great with this company at all. They can tell you to do multiple peoples job with no type of compensation or even a slight thank you. If you need a job that has decent pay and benefits as far as health care, then sure, work here temporarily. But if you are looking for a company for a long lasting career where you will be respected and have room for advancement, stay away and look elsewhere. Most of the time you are just a work horse or a replaceable body for this company. Needless to say, this is more of a "good ole boy" company. Have to know someone or be related to someone to do well and exceed here.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, Random hours that change almost daily, no room for advancement, Your job is never protected, Unstable conditions