CB&I Employee Reviews

Not Beneficial Unless You Know Someone
Senior Materials Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walker, Louisiana - SunlandJuly 13, 2015
This is a great company to work for, if you are in the in crowd. Pay is average. Job descriptions are usually hit or miss. Company usually doesn't give you the full description that they are really hiring for. Hours flip flop literally almost every week. Management is a hit or miss. I worked for this company for 5 years and there have been 1 or 2 managers that gave an attempt at being decent people. Other than that, it's hard to even have management know you exists, unless they need your help with something they don't know how to do. Compensation isn't great with this company at all. They can tell you to do multiple peoples job with no type of compensation or even a slight thank you. If you need a job that has decent pay and benefits as far as health care, then sure, work here temporarily. But if you are looking for a company for a long lasting career where you will be respected and have room for advancement, stay away and look elsewhere. Most of the time you are just a work horse or a replaceable body for this company. Needless to say, this is more of a "good ole boy" company. Have to know someone or be related to someone to do well and exceed here.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management, Random hours that change almost daily, no room for advancement, Your job is never protected, Unstable conditions
TMI was a good place to work but CB&I is unorganized.
Daily / Outage Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAFebruary 6, 2014
Started each day with updating the TMI Daily Online Schedule using P3, updating the "Plan Of the Day" & sending it to CB&I corporate, attending daily "T" meetings to organize then schedule work for upcoming work weeks, inputting daily schedule progress and changes, attend the Daily Schedule Meeting with Work Week Manager to give the latest schedule work status.

When not working on the Daily Online Schedule, I was responsible for the inputting, scheduling and levelizing all Refueling outage scaffolding and Containment shielding using P6 along with running special reports & graphs.

CB&I's upper management at TMI was new to their perspective positions and struggled at times contradicting their directions several times. This made my job very difficult because they did not really know what they wanted from me which lead to re-work over and over. CB&I was also responsible for cutting the contract support budget by almost 25%, so we had to cut everything to the bone. The schedule was very, very tight and schedule adherence was almost impossible.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I got to work with, they were great and always there to help.
Pros
the people
Cons
job length, leadership inexpeience, working 50 to 60hrs/week for 6 months prior to th outage work
Active and Safe work enviorment
Field Engineer 1 (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 26, 2015
Work consist of checking documents to the most up to date information, verifying if changes are made to the latest design document. Working with craft on issues that may arise and developing solutions for those issues is one of the many things that I have learned from working here. I have also gained a better understanding of managing my time and getting work done in said time.

The management is on top of everything that goes on at the job and works with every one directly on things that may arise. Co-workers have a good attitude about what they do and how things are done. They enjoy the work that they do and the things that they accomplish.

The hardest part of the job is coming across a construction issue that may have one or more things working against it and getting it done before a set deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job is completing those construction issues and watching everything work properly. It is rewarding to see job progression and something you did work.
Pros
Safe work environment
Cons
Long work hours
Job NOT a Career
QC (Current Employee) –  El Dorado, ARApril 10, 2013
This is an ok place to work for a little while, at least until you find something better. They tend to let their different shops and locations run autonomously, but the one I was at offered you a JOB NOT a CAREER. Typically, whatever wage you hired in at, that's where you'll stay generally. They don't have (or don't abide by) any sort of salary structure or wage scale, preferring instead to outlaw any discussion of pay or compensation. This means they can pay someone who does the same job as you twice what they pay you, and if you're ever caught discussing it, or any type of compensation, you're terminated. The location I worked in was also was very disorganized and had a lot of problems. This, combined with the pay and poor attitude towards the workers means morale stays pretty low. All in all, if you're desperate for a job, it pays the bills, but it is NOT a fun or positive work environment and you'll likely never really advance
Pros
10 hour days, overtime sometimes
Cons
low wages, little advancement, low morale, lots of drama, backstabbing, in-fighting
A very productive place to work
Service Order Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GADecember 2, 2014
This job allowed me to provide services for the Military and DOD/NAF/Government Contract employees on a daily basis. I learned to process Work Orders for the various Units once they were approved by the Government.
I learned and became proficient in GFEBS and cPROJECTS, which is the software by which the Government tracks funding for the Military Bases and DOD sites.
Worked in concert with a very efficient team, as we were for the most part prior military, therefore we understood the need for the soldier.
The hardest part of this job was having moments of system malfunctions due to our main servers being in another state, therefore not allowing us to effectively do our jobs and service the customer.
What I enjoyed most about this job was servicing the Customer and ensuring their paperwork was processed properly.
Pros
servicing the military soldiers and civilians
Cons
the pay
Long and productive days working around sensitive equipment
General Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Palo Verde Nuclear Generating StationJanuary 22, 2015
Every day at work my co-workers and I would typically start off where we left at the previous day. We were tasked to work around the most sensitive equipment at Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant, which at times became difficult. Something I learned is when I am placed in a leadership position with tremendous weight on my shoulders, I excel and achieve daily goals asked by my leadership. Every time while working under management and next to co-workers the work atmosphere is enjoyable and friendly. The most difficult part of my job was working the packets, and following the strict procedures of certain steps of the specific job. Now, the most enjoyable aspect of my job was working with my co-workers and management, because no matter what we would always have a fun, safe, and productive day.
Pros
pretty good pay with great benefits.
Cons
no room for advancement.
Productive place to work at. Employees are respectful and show professionalism in attitude.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2015
While employed at Chicago Bridge and Iron I developed new and improved skills that would take me to another level in upper management. Learn new things in the work place is something I enjoy adapting to.
I was manager over time sheets, making sure sheets are accurately entered on a timely basis. Working with a department of professional coworkers who are open to assist. For instant, coverage when any one of us was out of the office. Learning new software is another issue that requires help at any point in time.
The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours to complete the task at hand. The best part of this job is assisting and training a new employee that come aboard.
Pros
Lunch and learns. When you are in a busy mode you recieve a free lunch.
Cons
Compensation of pay should be rewarded more often with experience.
HARD WORKING/ DEDICATED / SELF MOTIVATED
General Foreman (Current Employee) –  Delcambre, LAJune 12, 2014
ASSURING PROPER PROCEDURE IN PLACE ARE BEING APPLIED TO ALL AREAS OF OPERATIONS/ ASSURING QUALITY WORK/ MATERIAL MANAGEMENT AND DISPLAYING DATA IN SPREADSHEETS, PREPARING DATA BOOKS, CONTROLLING MATERIAL USE ON PROJECTS, P.O.'S , COMPARING DELIVERY VS P.O. , PROVIDING MTO'S FOR ESTIMATES, CREATING ELECTRONIC PDF VERSIONS OF DATA BOOKS, REVIEWING SPECS/ ISO'S , I LIKE ALL ASPECTS OF MY JOB BECAUSE EVERYDAY I LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT IT IN SOME WAY AND EVERY DAY I TRY TO BETTER MY WORK PERF. AND KNOWLEDGE AND I JUST REALLY ENJOY DOING THAT. I ALSO LIKE BRINGING IN NEW WORK LEADS FROM RELATIONSHIPS I HAVE WITH CLIENTS AND WORK I HEAR ABOUT THREW PEOPLE, I ENJOY BEING AN ASSET TO A COMP. AND GROWING WITHOUT BEING HELD BACK.
Pros
online training / always learning something new
Cons
being held back from my full potential because of ones view on age and time employed at comp.
Great job. Excellent benefits.
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 7, 2015
I love what I do. Every day when I get to work I check the phone messages, poll the time clock and run the time reports for the supervision so that they can do their timesheets. I pick up timesheets on a daily basis and enter them into the system. I check my docusphere for new invoices that need to be processed so that I can bill the client. I check my p-card daily to keep up with purchases made and where each one is charged to. I run weekly reports for the client. I bill monthly, so I have to make sure that any thing that is reimbursable is ready to be billed. I also help all of our employees with any problems they have concerning HR and benefits. I make sure each new employee has a benefits package and a time clock badge. I enter and balance time weekly.
Pros
I have my own office and can work independtly.
Cons
Long drive to and from work
Was not a good place to work at all
Construction Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Addis, LAJuly 25, 2014
My work schedule was from 6:00 am-3:30pm, but in reality my schedule was from sun up to sun down. Management was terrible in setting unrealistic goals and ridiculous timeframes in completing work. Raises were barely given and when given, they were minimal. Some co-workers were a joy to work with and others were not. Overtime was plentiful and available if needed. Working from home was an okay option, but most days it was a must in addition to working long hours at the office. I was constantly rushed to complete assignments and after my last assignment, i was immediately released and escorted out the door and off the premises.
Pros
healthcare benefits were good and vacation could be taken mostly anytime.
Cons
extremely long work days, no job security, no work/home or life balance

Want to know more about CB&I?

Ask a question
Millwright Foreman (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 12, 2012
Very cohesive group. Focus on safety and worker involvement was excellent. Pay and benefits were great. Focus on schedule and coordination of multiple crafts working in close proximity were very well executed.Dedication to client satisfaction and craftsmanship was a way of life not just a slogun or hardhat sticker. Management was approachable and responsive. The project was devistated by a major hurricane about midwayof the orignal schedule, however the response of the company was outstanding and we saw the job through to completion. I was very impressed with the professionalism I encountered on all levels. I would work with them again anytime.
Pros
great can-do spirit and fair and consistant treatment
Cons
no sense of longterm employment or opportunity in the future.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 17, 2015
I enjoy feeling like part of an important team and taking lead and ownership of projects. I probably spend most of my time on and off-site thinking of ways to improve my work habits, client relations, business relationships and management of personnel on-site. I also enjoy designing equipment parts, functioning mechanical equipment and other improved applications of material handling equipment. This portion of my job really creates a feeling of accomplishment and fulfills my career choice as a field engineer and project manager. This company really allows the freedom needed for one to excel in the field that you may want to pursue.
Pros
free lunches and nice dine very friendly work environment
Cons
far travel, and no company vehicle.
Widget Factory
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2015
Watched CB&I go from a engineering and construction company to a dysfunctional widget factory. They are no longer an EPC (Engineering, Purchasing and Construction) but a PC (Purchasing and Construction) company.

CB&I does not respect their engineers. Anyone can be an engineer at CB&I. You do not even need a engineering degree. All you have to do is shuffle paper for purchasing. It is disgraceful for the engineering profession.

Managements tries to blame the employees for their lack in organization skills. CB&I has turned into a cluster, kind of like a zoo. Everything is a crisis and we need to have a meeting about it right now.

If you are a self respecting engineer, would not recommend CB&I. If you just want a paycheck, CB&I can give you that.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Poor Management
Very demanding and technical to ensure accurate results
QA Specialist 5 (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 9, 2014
I establish a priority list of things to accomplish. Priority A, B and C. Priority A contains must do items. Things that will be more difficult if not prioritize first or substantially completed. I let nothing get in the way of starting and completing these. Priority B is very important, too. I make every attempt to complete these. However, priority B items can be somewhat negotiated if not completed. Priority C items are those maintenance things that should be done but won't affect operations much if not necessarily done that day. Sometimes priority C items take care of themselves. The important key to success is to accurately identify the proper category of priority.
Pros
advancing
Cons
n/a
CB&I = Cousins Brothers & Inlaws
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Proctor, WVMay 12, 2013
I worked on the NGL Plant for Dominion Gas in Proctor, WV. Nepotism ruined what could of been a good project. The project ran with two shifts each accusing the other for mishaps and problems. Very poor Management.... Only there to draw a check. Safety was preached but not practiced until the end of the project when they were trying to thin the herd and take away completion bonuses and any chance of getting unemployment. Good tradesmen were laid off while relatives and friends stayed on. I managed to get my bonus, luckily, because the promise of going to the next project was a lie. Seems like a good company with poor field Mgmt.
Pros
safety bonuses and time off when needed
Cons
no longevity, no sunday premium, inadequate per diem
it was a fairly decent place to work for except the manager
Mailroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2014
Did the daily duties of incoming and outgoing mail and packages. Entered reports into our EDMS system iDocs. Opened and closed BIG tickets. Learned how to use the EDMS system. My co-workers were great. Hardest part of the job was working with our manager. There was no gray area with her. All was either black or white. Most enjoyable part of my job was all employees there thought my partner and I were the best facility employees. We completed our jobs everyday before going home.
Pros
free lunches and gift cards given to us by upper management as rewards
Cons
cbi is the lowest paying company as a direct hire, premiums were very high with no compensation to cover the increase on insurance.
Productive workplace, Friendly work environment
Power Plant Piping Designer/CAD/PDS Tech. (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 5, 2013
A typical consisted of phone calls and meetings on certain days to finish work to meet the project schedule.

I learned a lot here at Shaw/CB&I to help aid my career and continue my legacy in the Power Plant industry.

Managers and Sr. Engineers/Designers helped a lot along the way.

The hardest part of my job was when it was depended upon other workers to finish their portion in order to finish your assignment.

The most enjoyable portion was venturing to project site and learning new technologies of the Power Plant industry along with new projects.
Pros
free lunches, work environment, co-workers
Cons
healthcare compared to other companies, career/position advancment.
Great atmosphere to be around
Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 2, 2014
The daily task of the job was to check the products made by other neighboring departments to assure products are in specifications of the company. During my time with the company I learned how to conduct an assortment of test with the mechanical use of Varian, Chromatograph Operation, ICP, and other distinctive instrumentation for sample processing. The management at the company was great at times, but had places where improvement was needed. While working with the company I felt I had a great relationship with them. We worked together well. The hardest part of the job was the demand of the other departments at times. Other than the demand I would say the job was enjoyable to be at.
Productive day at a Fab shop
Pipe Fitter (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJanuary 7, 2014
The day would start out with a safety meeting with the crew. The foreman would ask us what we lack and if we where ahead of schedule. We also learned how to work together and become a team. Also how to read blue prints an draw out ISO's. Our foreman and general foreman are great personell. the people that I work with where great an skillful individual. The hardest things would be how to do rolling offsets. But with those I would ask for help because, they where hard to do. But my fellow co worker would help me out. the part of my job that I would enjoy was working with these group of individual that are very helpful an hard working people.
Pros
good environment to work in, good management
Cons
not that much overtime
Challenging and rewarding
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 15, 2015
CB&I has provided me with a challenging position. The remedial activities that I performed varied from ordinance disposal, emergency response (oil spills, train derailments, biological threats), waste water treatment, incineration, drum removal and landfill/waste lagoom capping. These activities were performed in a variety settings: manufacturing plants (indoor and outdoor), military installations and geographically remote areas. The hardest part of this position was the time away from home. A positive part of this position was being able to physically see your work efforts at the end of the project.
Pros
variable work activities
Cons
away from family for weeks at a time.