CB&I Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful place to work
Procedure Writer (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 10, 2016
Never before had I worked at a place with such a great group of people; everyone is warm, friendly, and understanding. While these are wonderful qualities to find in one's co-workers, there is the matter of how it affects your work and your career. There wasn't a scale for quality, but rather a standard of "good enough." Advancement is rare. There are not clear goals laid out for those wishing to advance their career. Further, even if those goals were met, there is the matter of it meaning anything to upper management. Communication between departments and levels of management have been a reoccurring problem since the company opened their doors.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 17, 2015
I enjoy feeling like part of an important team and taking lead and ownership of projects. I probably spend most of my time on and off-site thinking of ways to improve my work habits, client relations, business relationships and management of personnel on-site. I also enjoy designing equipment parts, functioning mechanical equipment and other improved applications of material handling equipment. This portion of my job really creates a feeling of accomplishment and fulfills my career choice as a field engineer and project manager. This company really allows the freedom needed for one to excel in the field that you may want to pursue.
Pros
free lunches and nice dine very friendly work environment
Cons
far travel, and no company vehicle.
GE Supply / Questron Aerospace Logistics
Spare Parts Administrator / Buyer II (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 2, 2016
GE Supply Logistics bought out Questron Aerospace Logistics. GE's management style is rated very low and they just don't seem to care about the work/life balance of the employee.
Pros
Hours
Good Work Atmosphere
Site Superindendent (Current Employee) –  Killona, LAFebruary 12, 2016
I have worked for CB&I for almost a year.
I have been treated very good.
Great safety culture in the nuclear division.
Management helps to make sure the job gets done right if you need them too
Intregity, Commitment and Excellence
Cost Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York City DEP, Newtown Creek, New York, NYOctober 14, 2015
Currently responsible for preparing schedule analysis on baseline re-forecasting and monthly updates schedules. Provide cost control; ensure cost/budget reports and document management requirements. Provide management support for projects and assignments. Project cost forecasting & estimating, tracking and analyzing expenditures. Keeping track of all actual cost and periodic targets and preparing cost reports. Reconcile A/P, A/R and bank account and prepare monthly presentation for NYCDEP/Joint Venture board members
Pros
Advancement in position, healthcare, job placement
Cons
N/A
Big company. Good senior leadership. Good high level strategy.
Director - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2016
Overall, CB&I is a good company with an excellent high level strategy. The company has aligned to be the leader in the "energy infrastructure" space.

The acquiring of of Shaw/Stone&Webster was a mistake. However, at the time, it made sense and was a good risk. It just didn't pan out.

Now the company is focused on markets were they are successful and should be successful going forward.

The company's benefits and compensation are from the dark ages. They don't like telecommuters. Benefits are subpar - compared to other employers. Compensation lacks any sort of incentive component.

Your employment with the company will be tied to the success of the business-line or project that you're associated with. So, if there's a change in direction or projects ends, so will your job. But, that's no different than anyplace else.

This sounds pretty negative, so far. But, i just wanted to paint a picture of the reality.

They company does good work. They have an international footprint and are poised for future growth. CB&I has a long legacy that will continue for many decades.
Pros
Large company. Good training.
Cons
Mediocre compensation and benefits.
Excellent employer
I&C Designer (Current Employee) –  Savanah River Site, SCJanuary 3, 2016
CB&I is a great company to work for. Very professional team with good benefits. The management is friendly provides an excellent environment for work.
Nothing out of the ordinary
Scheduler II (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMay 25, 2016
Typical work day is pretty routine, I have learned alot about Primavera P6 and welded plate structures, Management is professional for the most part but sometimes lacks accountability enforcement. My peers, for the most part, try to get the job done and overcome hurtles on a daily basis but sometime lack of support from adjacent department making it difficult at times. Communication is a must. The hardest part of the job is gathering information from supporting departments. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone comes together and gets the job done.
Pros
Good pay, Weekends off, reasonable work hours, nice facility
Cons
lack of communication between supporting departments
Very critical and high pressure job. being a Nuclear Project
QC Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 16, 2016
Typical day was reviewing WPS's, PIS's,. Overall dimensions, Procedures, Job Site Procedures. Meetings with clients on their products. Certifying Inspectors.Welding Inspection. Gained more knowledge of all Specifications ASME,AWS, B31.1D1.6, B31.3, D1.1, Everyone there was great to work with. Get the vendors to understand how important it was for them to get it correct the first time. When we as a company were able to meet the deadlines give to us by our client.
Pros
Provided us the chance to gain more certifications
Cons
Was there for 6 years and was looking to retire from a company like that.
Internal Reconstruction
Lead Scheduler in District (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AzFebruary 12, 2016
Nuclear moved Fossil out due to loss of contract @ Palo Verde Nuclear Power Station.
Great conditions in Fossil; pressure to complete estimates and schedules was exhilarating. Gratification were given when great jobs were completed. Corrective measures we not overlooked; amendments were recognized as well.
Pros
Fossil Group excellant
Cons
Nuclear Management Mentality
Great Job
Journeyman craftsman (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXNovember 28, 2015
best job i ever had.would like to go back to work for them. benefits were great.. plenty of room for advancement. The job was in tyler tx
Pros
pay good, benifits were good, pleanty of room for advancement
Cons
no cons
Limited communications, made the best of a difficult situation
Civil Construction Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 20, 2016
Typical day consisted of directing craft folks to repair emergent power plant issues for client and supporting unexpected unit outages as required along with staffing manpower for week to week project work. Co-workers supported each other to complete tasks. The most enjoyable part was meeting and getting to know the craft personnel while working on the Navajo Reservation.
Pros
company truck provided due to no per diem
Cons
company truck removed still no per diem
CB&I gives employees great avenues for advancement in different areas.
Proposals Manager (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 16, 2015
CB&I gives employees great avenues for advancement in different areas. Management challenges you often with new and exciting opportunities and really allow you to climb the corporate ladder quickly.
Pros
Lots of opprotunities, challenging, great culture, awesome benefits
Cons
Too many corporate rules to follow made it difficult to actually accomplish project tasks
Opportunities to learn new skills and perform new job functions.
Engineering Assistant Document Control (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 25, 2016
I have been given multiple opportunities to learn new skills and perform new job functions. Ability to grow in knowledge and performance.
Pros
Variety of people
Cons
Low salary
Widget Factory
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2015
Watched CB&I go from a engineering and construction company to a dysfunctional widget factory. They are no longer an EPC (Engineering, Purchasing and Construction) but a PC (Purchasing and Construction) company.

CB&I does not respect their engineers. Anyone can be an engineer at CB&I. You do not even need a engineering degree. All you have to do is shuffle paper for purchasing. It is disgraceful for the engineering profession.

Managements tries to blame the employees for their lack in organization skills. CB&I has turned into a cluster, kind of like a zoo. Everything is a crisis and we need to have a meeting about it right now.

If you are a self respecting engineer, would not recommend CB&I. If you just want a paycheck, CB&I can give you that.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Poor Management
This company could be better
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  laporte texasMay 25, 2016
I have been with this company several times over the years, and the pay is always one of the lowest in the area for the job that we do. this company also has a very good safety program but has major issues communicating their policies down to the field. In many cases I have witnessed these cases. The field management is lacking in certain areas but they are good guys just need some guidance into the right direction.
Pros
good enviroment of people to work with
Cons
very low pay, isses in the safety culture
Cb&I
Rigger (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, TXOctober 11, 2015
CB&I is a great company and found that the up management will take the time to help one of the workers to advance within the company.
CB&I also strongly believes on their Safety program. They are looking everyday to find a better and safer way for their employees to go home each and every day.
Benefits
Cons
Locations of jobs
Good place to work not enough work
I&C Design Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 18, 2016
Overall good company with good people working within. Management isn't very good with managing work load. Doesn't seem to be a lot of work coming in.
Skilled mechanical designer with muultiple design skills.
Smartpland SPPID designrt (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAMay 10, 2016
I am a enthusiastic worker who enjoy working with people. Over the years I have learned multiple design cad skills and to work multiple projects. I work well with management and I have coordinated work between management and other designers. The hardest part of my joy is not being productive. I enjoy using my design skills to complete my part of the project to make job a success.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no PTO
Busy schedule in the coatings department
Nuclear coatings applicator (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 2, 2016
busy work days in the coatings department.I was certified in nuclear coatings application.Management were fairly easy to work with.good co-workers except for a few that did not work as team members.the hardest part of the job was to meet inspection expextations due to written procedures.
Pros
paid for lunch break on night shift.
Cons
working in the heat with all the coatings safety apperal requied.