CB&I Employee Reviews

good hard work
Top Electrician Helper (Current Employee) –  Ingleside, TXNovember 10, 2016
I enjoy where i work, always look forward to working focusing on sharpening my technical skills,
troubleshooting, overhauls, installations, adjustments and repairs on a variety of electronic equipment.
As a team player my goal is to grow with this company and further my education to hopefully one day step up into a Management position.
Pros
the pay
Cons
away from my family
Cb&I
Iron Worker ( journey man 3 ) Detail Crew (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAFebruary 5, 2017
They are a very unprofessional company. With management that makes lower employees take the blunt of their mess ups. Very poorly ran.how such a large company could make so many mistakes and remain profitable is beyond me. CB&I is one of those companies where you are just another number.
Big company. Good senior leadership. Good high level strategy.
Director - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 28, 2016
Overall, CB&I is a good company with an excellent high level strategy. The company has aligned to be the leader in the "energy infrastructure" space.

The acquiring of of Shaw/Stone&Webster was a mistake. However, at the time, it made sense and was a good risk. It just didn't pan out.

Now the company is focused on markets were they are successful and should be successful going forward.

The company's benefits and compensation are from the dark ages. They don't like telecommuters. Benefits are subpar - compared to other employers. Compensation lacks any sort of incentive component.

Your employment with the company will be tied to the success of the business-line or project that you're associated with. So, if there's a change in direction or projects ends, so will your job. But, that's no different than anyplace else.

This sounds pretty negative, so far. But, i just wanted to paint a picture of the reality.

They company does good work. They have an international footprint and are poised for future growth. CB&I has a long legacy that will continue for many decades.
Pros
Large company. Good training.
Cons
Mediocre compensation and benefits.
Safety programs are ornamental only. Management is the worst
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, INOctober 13, 2016
I've been in the construction industry for 22 years. I have never seen a worse outfit. I have no idea how they make money. There is minimal effort from management to coordinate. The organization is awful. Communication is linear from the top down. We never have everything we need to do the job especially the safety gear they preach about continuously. Well, they don't preach safety if it interferes with the schedule. The night safety guy is so unconcerned it is almost funny. The ERT and safety committee made up by the workers is a joke. They are completely cosmetic, I assure you. Well there is one guy dead on our job and by the looks of how things are going, he might not be the last. All of the safety is designed to pin any liability back on the worker in the case of any injury, dismemberment, or death. It is obvious. There has not been a single day that our crew has had all of the safety gear that we need. What a carnival it has been. If I had one word to describe this company it would be incompetent. I will be glad when this outfit leaves town. Hopefully no one else will be killed and our local's reputation won't be damaged from this horribly ran job.
Pros
You can always laugh at how awful they run a job.
Cons
Too many cons to list.
This is a company that stand behind safety
Area HSE Manager USA (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2017
CB&I has been a good company to work for, They stand behind what they say and they push a good healthy safety culture. I do enjoy working for a boss that accepts a debates and we both learn for this
Lots of walking, very muddy. Long bus ride to the job daily.
Piping Foreman (Current Employee) –  Hackberry, LAJanuary 22, 2017
Lousy job, cant get materials to location. Some materials are not even on location. However upper mgt still want production. You can't produce what you dont have. General foreman dont do their job. They stay in connex and dont get material requisitioned for us to erect and install. They wanted there own people in there that they knew from previous jobs and made it hard if you weren't in their clik.
Pros
Cons
Too many to count
Productive work
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAOctober 17, 2016
CB&I obtained many jobs while I was working there but lost several of them and constantly caused workers to be worried about lay offs. They're a good company but I believe they need some kind of better management and training programs for workers
Pros
we had paid holidays, vacation and sick hours
Cons
Too many lay offs, some supervisors are shady and untrustworthy and poor management
we have one guy that keep everyone in high spirit
Millwright Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Chickasaw, ALOctober 20, 2016
A typical day at work consist of having a morning safety meeting and talking about what may have happen the day before any safety issue that may have up and checking to make sure everyone is on the same page. Then go to control room and get your job task for the day. then get all proper tools and equipment to preform task and then go to work area and get a permit to perform task walk down the lockout to check that the equipment is locked out properly. then sign all permits ,put your lock on the lock box and perform task .
Cons
Now a large company with many sub-cultures
Design Engineer, Plainfield Civil Engineering (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, ILJanuary 24, 2016
The work is very interesting and rewarding, great opportunities to work across disciplines. From my understanding, CBI lags behind it's competition in terms of compensation, but this is balanced with great people to work with and great work-life balance.
Pros
Flex Schedule (9 Hr days, every other Friday off)
Great job opportunity
Principal Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 26, 2016
Great management and excellent Process team with a lot talents (new process engineers)
co-workers
friendly relations with the clients and personnel
HR excellent and great orientation
Pros
work environment
Cons
no comments on it - everithing is fine
Productive in my area of training
Commissioning Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2016
Fun Place to work. Nice crew to work with in operations and training.There are two different divisions, construction and operations. Now the construction department has problems keeping up with schedules. But operations training has hit the target of being ontime. But the training we have done may be forgotten by the time construction gets through and plant startup.
Pros
We have free lunches
Cons
Smoke breaks are very limited.
Lies and Fairytales
Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2015
This was supposed to last three months, extended and been there a year, there is no vacation or holiday pay or any other benefits. No work life balance. The lies are epic ,they tell the candidates anything and dump them on this department. When not being cursed out and constantly yelled at and being called about jobs, it's not bad. There is no accountability for anyone, the management, the recruiters are horrible, they do not do their job. This like many other companies do not communicate and they have no order and don't plan anything out, they just toss it out there. I am looking for something new because nothing will change. There was office space already set up with desk that they are not using and they put this group in a moldy , old room with cheap furniture that they are renting. I'm done with the lies, no job security, no vacation time or holiday pay, incompetence and non caring culture they have there.
Pros
close to home, pay every week
Cons
no benefits, no communication, constant lies
great place to work
Ironworker Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Texas City, TXFebruary 15, 2017
working for CB&I was a great experience, coworkers are good people, foreman is down to earth and understands if you have issues away from work, a good place to launch your career.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
N/A
Fast management changes and company restructures
Project Director / Director - Project Controls (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield NJNovember 7, 2016
Company has fast track of management changes and company restructures that happens lately every few months.
Day to day work affected much by management changes and company restructures.
Worked with talented individuals.
Would not return, if it was in West Texas area
LDAR Manager of the Permian Basin (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 30, 2016
While the company CB&I as a whole is probably a wonderful company, the position I was in, was the worst. I worked all the time, yet always got in trouble for overtime.

The manager, has to be the absolute worst manager I have ever worked for. If you're looking for a position within CB&I. I encourage you to do so, just stay away from the West Texas area.

I only left the company because of the manager.
Pros
Pay is decent for the work you do.
Cons
Little to no breaks, questioned about a 10 min break that you did take. Driving from anywhere from 4-7 hours a day.
good work enviroment
Material handler (Current Employee) –  Chickasaw, ALDecember 28, 2016
work environment is great but not a lot of opportunities for advancement in this company. Pay is ok. The insurance offered by this company is outrageous.
Opportunities to learn new skills and perform new job functions.
Engineering Assistant Document Control (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 25, 2016
I have been given multiple opportunities to learn new skills and perform new job functions. Ability to grow in knowledge and performance.
Pros
Variety of people
Cons
Low salary
good working for CB&I
Elect Supt (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 17, 2016
Safety as no 1. complete project on schedule and under budget., always good communication and supervision, the salary is good, good over all company to work for.
Laborer work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hackberry, LADecember 25, 2016
Working for cb&i as a laborer I busted concrete down to there desired heights, pumped water out of holes during rain or wet weather, Responsible for cleaning and preparing construction sites for the of structures and buildings. Would unload and load materials, tend machines, mix concrete, pour concrete, and assists carpenters and other construction site workers.
Pros
good money
Cons
Late checks, checks short on money, un organized
Really good overall and good management.
Pipe Fitter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 20, 2016
Really good and good people in the compeny never a person that was not ever helpfull. And also manegment was really great and helfull. Really recommend someone to work for this comopeny the pay could be better is the only down side about the company.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CB&I. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval