CCA Employee Reviews

Training ground
Assistant focus group facilitator (Former Employee) –  Venus, TXAugust 1, 2016
It was a unique place to connect my education and life experiences with an awesome group of people. The task of mentoring adults whose appreciation and hunger for hope and a future prepared me for a life calling of mentoring people of various needs.
Bradshaw state Jail provided me many types learning situations
caorrectional Officer (Former Employee) –  Henderson, TXJuly 31, 2015
Bradshaw provides me to be come more assertive, being able to take charge, the ability to learn different position quickly, and deal with different types of people.
Pros
Always willing to help if needed and good benefits
Cons
excessive long hours but the paycheck made up for it
At will employer. Makes that abundantly clear when you grievance them
Academic Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tutwiler, MSJuly 5, 2016
At will employer. Corporation operating under the guise of a prison. Policy is unclear. Work environment is mostly unprofessional and tense. "Prison" is understaffed and employees are overworked.
Good pay if you are only single and have no children..
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2016
The first weeks of working for the USPS was going to stressful. You gotta know how to delivery the mails and posts. No problem but as time went on. My manager was total female dog, you had do overtime- like 12 am still delivery mails, because she didn't wanted any mails to come back. The Lincoln Park station is the worst station to be for a new CCA to start. However, the pay is good. I believe it depend on what station they put you in. If you are single parent, I wouldn't recommend you work here unless you have a good support system in plan, because you hours change from 8 hours to 16 hour before you know it and still have to get up the next day.
Pros
PAY
Cons
Manager, Stressful type work on mine, body, and soul
Corrections, tense, always on watching everyone.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 15, 2016
I love working with this company and I love working in security and corrections. I have learned with this company how to evolve into a leader and a great supervisor. The company has given me the opportunity to rise through the ranks and succeed. The co-workers are awesome to work with.
Pros
advancement oppertunities, and oppertunities to succeed.
Cons
short breaks and lots of stress.
Monotonous
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Coolidge, AZJune 25, 2014
My shift is from 3pm to 11pm. First entering the job you have to find out where you are posted. You then go to your post, and your routine starts. Count at 430, dinner turnout of the inmates, inmates return, they clean, you help them get out the materials, then count at 8pm, and the inmates get locked down. Then they come out to be supervised again until lockdown at 11pm. The routine is the same with some variances in different units that you are posted.
Some coworkers are nice, and others are difficult to work with.
The hardest part of the job is the anxiety that is felt when you don't know what could happen if the inmates fight or something happens.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Hours, monotony, not a job for me
Shift work with good group of co-workers
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAMay 18, 2014
A typical day for me was to find something productive to help the time pass more quickly. I was relied upon to ensure overall sanitation of the building, training detainees on how to operate floor buffing machines, and to take pride in the work they completed on a nightly basis. I am detail oriented, and was known as the "You missed a spot" lady. I also headed up our weekly potluck dinner, from planning the menu to emailing the list to all 3rd shift employees, to ensure maximum participation. My group of co-workers were very tight knit, for the most part. I enjoyed the feeling I got when I could make a daily To-Do List and mark the items off. The hardest part of this job was lack of support and leadership for us, line staff, and immediate supervisors, and the work schedule of working 6 nights on with 2 nights off.
Pros
Compensation was fair, compared to similar jobs in the area
Cons
Lack of consideration for shift work employees
decent place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZSeptember 28, 2014
provide counseling for inmates make rounds through pods hand out legal mail supervise correctional officers
many different contracts to learn i.e. ICE, US Marshalls, California State, And Hawaii state prisons.
some management passes their jobs off on those with which they should be leading.
majority of coworkers are friendly and helpful
hardest part of the job is dealing with the work load and always being short staff
most enjoyable part of the job is the people with which you work.
Pros
can move up fast
Cons
poor benefits and poor staffing
Hope something has changed.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 5, 2015
I worked at CCA for a year, the money for the job was poor. Dealing with inmates all day is certainly not for everyone and it can be dangerous. The people you work with tend to be more difficult than the actual inmates. tons of policies, just basically sitting for 12 hours as a watchdog in a pod. Trying to get inmates to follow procedure can be a daily fight. Could be a good job if the pay matched the needs of this job.
Pros
Promotions, benefits
Cons
Hours, employees (HR)
Cca
Facility Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Sayre, OKSeptember 7, 2015
This company is familiy oriented and has excellent benefits. We have several facilities all over the country. There is advancement opurtunities.
Productive daily work
Inmate Records Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Whiteville, TNJuly 10, 2015
Recieve lots of phone calls that are handled on a daily basis plus be able to handle staff questions
There is not a day that goes by that I do not learn something new and I like that
Most of my co-workers are here to do their job with out complaint
Dealing with everyone's personality
I love what I do and I am very good at what I do
Pros
Salary
Cons
Being stuck in a position
Nothing Bad to Say
Learning & Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TXMay 16, 2014
Bartlett State Jail

I worked for CCA for 14 years. I was able to promote from Correctional Officer to Captain in the span of six years with hard work. I served as Captain for seven years before transitioning into the Learning & Development department for a year.

Overall, the compensation is not all that great. The health, dental, and vision benefits are great but base pay is not anything to run at. The work environment is middle of the road; not CCA's fault because it's a State of Texas owned facility.

The ability to promote is there when there is a vacancy. Promotion boards are straight forward. The management there AT THIS TIME is well rounded and there is much experience there.

I rated job culture high because it is a friendly environment and people tend to work around individual circumstances when they can.

I would have given work/life balance a two, but it is more by choice than anything else. CCA offers overtime if you want it, but some people go overboard.

Pay raises have been suspended for a bit; but they have issued bonuses in those years. So you can rate that as you see fit.
Pros
Free lunches; great dental, medical, and vision; paid training; shift schedule
Cons
Non-operational equipment; inconsistant administrative management; base salary
Day as a Correction Officer
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Eloy, AZMarch 16, 2016
I am currently working in intake and discharge department. I've been in this department almost 2 years in those 2 years I've have learned a lot. I have learned how to process an inmate when they arrive from inputting them in the system to conducting their interview and getting their fingerprints and photos. My coworkers and I make it a smooth process when a bus arrives. We all work together to make sure the intakes for the bus is completed efficiently and in a timely manner.
The only thing that sometimes crosses as an issue sometimes is dealing with a lot of different personalities and the long ride on the bus we receive a lot of unhappy, frustrated inmates. I deal with it by explaining the intake process to the inmates and advising them that we can only move as fast as they want to move. As long as they cooperate the process moves a lot faster. Overall I enjoy working with my team members and I learn something different everyday. You never know what your going to come across working in the corrections.
Productive and Challenging- Opportunity for advancement
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Mason, TNAugust 21, 2013
CCA is an overall good place to work. I've learned many rules and policies of the company. Some of my co-workers could have been more professional. The hardest part of the job was getting the inmates up for pill call and medical late at night. The most enjoyable part ot the job was going to work, doing my job with a feeling of accomplishment.
Pros
Pros were job security, good benefits, good pay.
Cons
Cons were really challenging inmates being hard-headed.
the people were friendly to work with got along with all my coworkers
(City Carrier Assistant) Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Yonkers, NYNovember 24, 2014
management didn't understand priorities outside of work and wasn't scheduled was expected to work 7 days a week if needed the people who helped me out the most were the regular carriers and the postal office clerks their working outside while it rained or during extremely cold weather wasn't pleasant either
benefits
Cons
would have to work 7 days straight with no days off sometimes
Tough to work for
Assistant Bookkeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAMay 1, 2016
This company was tough to work for - too many cooks in the kitchen - the only thing that I was grateful for was the experience in management it gave me. My co-workers were wonderful and they kept me grounded.
Life as a CCA Letter Carrier
CCA Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, Stoughton and Franklin, MAFebruary 23, 2015
To do this job, one must sacrifice everything in their life. There are no days off, no holidays, no benefits, no support from the union or management, or co workers for that matter.
The pay is decent, but the hours and work conditions would be intolerable for most. This job requires not only that one sacrifice everything in life, but requires that a person have a constitution that most people just do not have. One must work in any, and I mean ANY kind of weather conditions. For example we delivered snow this winter when there was a major snow storm going on, the temperature was 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the wind was blowing, there were already 3 feet of snow on the ground, nowhere to park, hardly anyone shoveled paths to their mailbox, and customers and supervisors complain because you don't deliver the mail faster. It really takes a special type of personality to perform this task.
After spending a short time sorting the mail in the office, if you can do it quickly, then it's out on the road, where you deliver, deliver, deliver mail. If you are fortunate enough to finish what mail you had, management rewards you with more mail to deliver, sometimes delivering to after 7 pm at night.
Pros
Cons
Extreme weather conditions, intolerable work loads
Cca/ctf
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 28, 2014
I'm speaking of the Washington DC location only! This place is extremely terrible place to work. Extremely racial. Nothing military about it. You must fit a "click" to be able to get overtime. No room to make decisions. Have been through 4 wardens and none of them seem to be able to "fix" this facility. I actually got more respect from the inmates than my fellow co-workers! If you know, or are friends with the right people, you will never get in trouble. (Example: Chief of Security fraternizing with the incoming officers. Nothing happens. Capt. busted for DUI, nothing happens. Officer takes it upon himself/herself to come in early to help cover shift, you're accused of stealing time!) I worked in this place for 7+ years. I'm surprised I lasted this long. When I started, I got .23 cents for my military experience. In those 7 years, just 2 raises. It's union and that's a HUGE joke! Union never helped me in any way, shape or form...... even when being wronged. They DO NOT pay for being bi-lingual but you will get written up for insubordination (and given a day in the street) if you do not translate. My suggestion, if you absolutely need a job, take this temporarily until you find something better.
Pros
Free lunch (Inmate food)
Cons
Staff (Most). Hours (15 minute break for a 12 hour shift). Pay.
Medium security prison, safety and security
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Estancia, NMDecember 30, 2013
I will just say that you are working in a prison. It's a high stress environment and you don't know what will happen from day to day. The staff for the most part are very friendly and do what they can to help you out in any situation. It is the type of job that either you love it or you hate it. It is not for everybody, but if you are dedicated you can have a good career in it.
Pros
Good Pay, Benefits
Cons
Dangerous and unpredictable enviornment
The Worst!
Former Officer (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FlAugust 6, 2014
This company is the worst to work for. Administration constantly changing, turnover rate extremely high, inmates preferred over staff, staff disrespected by the inmates and the higher ups on a daily basis. Officers are reduced to nothing more than peons by administration and inmates are allowed to openly disrespect staff with verbal abuse and physical attacks due to administrative staff disrespecting staff in front of inmates. When an officer tries to leave the company the with a notice, they usually get terminated and the company tries to take their certification. Female officers are treated the worst. They are targeted by the inmates and the male staff if they refuse to "play along". When working a 12 hour shift, you might get a 15 or 20 minute break. It takes that long to get through the gates. Officers do not get the respect they need to do their jobs. They preach all the time to carry yourself a certain way and then do their best to break you. If you want to get lied on, disrespected and made to feel as if the only thing you are good for is being walked on, this is the job for you.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits.
Cons
Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CCA. Our community is ready to answer.