CDCR Employee Reviews

Great Clinical Experience, high stress
Clinical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Ione, CAJune 20, 2016
CDCR offers experience with complex mental health cases but is very stressful and high pressured job for mental health clinicians
plenty of work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Coalinga, CAApril 24, 2016
enjoyed the work, room for advancement, plenty of vehicles, forklifts, trucks, and equipment (tractors & cat); materials needed for different jobs was always plentiful and contain good quaility
Pros
great opportunities
Cons
drama
It's a Government job working for the California Deptartment of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
Accountant Trainee / Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Norco, CAJuly 26, 2013
It's a great experience and I've learned alot in the positions I've held. I've experienced more cultures and different personality types here than in any other place of employment. The pay is not what I personally think it should be in comparison to the private sector, but it's working for the government, so the benefits are some what better. There are constant budget cuts within the department so the job security is not what it used to be.
Pros
benefits, good experience
Cons
budget cuts, realignment
Career minded company, avenues for advancement,
Parole Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 12, 2014
Reported to supervisor. Begin as Officer of the Day, checking into office & fielding walk-in parolees whose Parole Agent not in office to take care of their needs. Another day driving around community going to check on Parolees at their home or work site for face to face interviews to determine their status and compliance with parole rules and regulations. Write notes in supervision files. Write reports and case reviews and recommendations for discharge or retention on parole. Hardest part of job for me was arresting parolees who were not in compliance with rules and regulations. Most enjoyable part of job was offering services for rehabilitation and integration back into community to parolees.
Pros
salary and benefits.
Cons
dealing with criminals who were uncooperative & returned to their former criminal activities.
most intersting place i ever worked
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 30, 2014
never the same day twice. many things I learned. bosses were understanding and will to mentor. most of my co-workers were good people. the hardest part was not getting complacent. making a deference in someone's life.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
lots and lots of hours
Correction
LVN CORRECTIONAL (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Friendly staff that usually works together. Plenty of overtime. High security area. Nursing staff works close together. Paid for overtime on a separate check.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
occasional lay offs, mandated overtime
Great benefits and great people
Staff Psychologist - Clark Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Bernadino, CAApril 28, 2014
Difficult to get a position, but once you do there are a lot of activities to increase your skills. Co-workers are diverse and great and the job is high paced and often busy, making the day go by fast.
benefits
Cons
no breaks
Challenging career
Correctional officer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 16, 2012
Being a correctional officer is a challenging and rewarding job. Good life experience.
benefits
Cons
no longer good job security
Great location
STAFF INFORMATION SYSTEMS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJanuary 6, 2015
Fast-paced procurement and contract work that is interesting and ever-evolving.
The CDCR services 35 correctional institutions throughout California, providing contracts and procurements for the education of inmates. The contracts and procurements that I process are for equipment and services provided for inmates within the 35 institutions.
Pros
close to home
Cons
long hours and overtime during high yield season
Working with the Inmate Commissary and warehouse
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAJuly 27, 2014
Maintained inventory in the inmate commissary store on the yards. Processed sales to the inmates allowed to shop. Maintained stock in the warehouse to fill the stores on the yards.

Worked at an offsite warehouse that processed commissary goods for the fire camps in Northern California. Always, learning new things and allowed to visit these camps and see how commissary is processed.

Responsible for inventory and making sure that inventory is rotated in a timely fashion and provided to the camps to meet the needs for their commissaries.
Pros
interesting and allways learning
great people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 23, 2013
i attained a little bit of knowledge on a/p. my co-workers were great. the hardest part was supervising inmates and submitting their timecards.
Pros
i was appreciated on every task i worked on. made me feel great about my job
Cons
there was not room for advancement.
I like my Job
Accounting Officer Specialist (A) (Current Employee) –  Susanville, CAApril 6, 2014
Jobs is Good. Management No Good especially people running it. Supervisor does not know anything about the office, relies on each one of the employee to get the info. If you are not friends with the supervisor you don't promote.
Pros
no breaks, due to busy working
Cons
too much drama
Valuable Place to deal with Highly Acute dual diagnosis
Clinical/ Industrial Organizational Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Otay Mesa, CANovember 17, 2014
This is a geat place to learn about dual diagnosis. The work may be stressful but it is very fulfilling. This environment might not be for everyone. Must have a thick skin to work in a level IV prison environment.
Typical Workplace
Associate Government Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Soledad, CAMarch 6, 2013
I enjoyed my time with CDCR. There were pro's and con's to this setting. Good people and Bad people. Not your typical office setting. Prison work at it's finest.
Pros
flexible work schedule, retirement packages
Cons
prison work, negative environment
Case Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Blythe, CAJune 19, 2014
The supervisors can sometimes get out of hand, and not be disciplined for it. Overall, you are not overworked and get paid a decent amount.
It kept you focus
Janitorial Technician (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAApril 16, 2014
One work day is just like the other,you do your job,learn to respect others and make the best of the rest of the day.
Pros
positivity
Cons
over worked &under paid
Fun place to work
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Soledad, CAApril 25, 2013
I enjoed running the adult social interactment program. Casual, yet challenging at the same time
Pros
freedom of creation in developing my program
Cons
low pay
fun and educational
TEACHERS ASSISTANT VOCATIONAL PLUMBING (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAJune 26, 2013
assist teacher with all forms of the plumbing trade - instruction of students in NCCER voational plumbing
Job is great, pay is bad
Pharmacist I (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAFebruary 29, 2012
I love my job, but personnel issues make it quite difficult.
Pros
alot to learn and achieve
Cons
short break, hostile work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CDCR. Our community is ready to answer.