CDM Smith Employee Reviews

Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2016
supports employee development
supports training
fast paced work environment
performs large design build joint venture projects
Decent place to work
finance (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 11, 2015
It is a big company so management isn't too concerned about employees. However they are very flexible and overall they do try.
False Promises, Absent Management
Water Engineer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 20, 2015
proceed with caution - they will say whatever it takes to get you to accept the job. I've been here almost two years now and none of the promises have come to fruition. Good luck trying to get any guidance or assistance from management - everyone is worried about themselves, their bonuses and utilization.
Overal adequate job
Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLOctober 30, 2015
Corporate lifestyle
You learn a lot about indesign and powerpoint
Quite atmosphere
Overal age range 40-100. Not a lot of younger people.
Straight forward
Not Artistic
Reasonable pay
No room for growth
Pros
Free lunch sometimes
Cons
Over Time, work through lunch
great place to work, but when projects end so does your employment
Administrative Assistant/FDOT Projects (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 17, 2015
great place to work, but when projects end so does your employment, would not recommend anyone to them. when projects end so does your job if there is no work coming in at that time.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
too many layoffs
Environmental consulting firm, technical path difficult to advance in
Information Management Specialist 6 (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 28, 2015
At work I would design and develop a variety of projects, often working on multiple projects with very tight deadlines simultaneously.
I learned numerous programming languages and environments and improved my skills in website development and programming.
The company is managed OK but not great. The applications developer technical path beyond the first 4 levels is not suited to software engineers and applies better to a researcher paradigm. As a result, it's difficult to advance technically unless you publish papers and actively contribute regularly to proposal writing. These contributions are dependent on your management providing you the opportunity to contribute, and thus not under your control.
My co-workers were very nice, the company has very friendly and easy to work with professionals.
A lack of managerial support and direction was the most difficult part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other developers to design and program new applications.
Pros
Flexible work hours, work from home in some circumstances, good benefits.
Cons
Constantly wondering if I would keep getting projects to cover me, unrealistic scheduling demands.
I loved my job with CDm
Admin Asst (Former Employee) –  NJJuly 8, 2015
They are a very large company and I worked in the field for over 7 yrs with approx 14-18 guys. Was busy and learned a lot. They are based out of Mass so after the 2 water treatment plants in NJ they had no choice but to lay me off rather than relocate me.
Great place to work, exellent benefits
Office Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJuly 1, 2015
Great company to work for if you are looking for a long-term career opportunity. They also offer excellent benefits, 401K match, and profit sharing.
Pros
Pay, time off, benefits
Cons
Social and productive work setting
ACTIVITIES AND VOLUNTEER WORK (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 19, 2015
A typical work day was arrive at the office and perform the tasks given to you. If you finished then another task was assigned and you are expected to complete it on time.

I learned many things about Geographic Information Systems.

Management was extremely nice and helpful when they were needed.

Co-workers were very helpful and social. This made getting projects done easier.

Hardest part of the job was when you would come across a feature that was unfamiliar to you in the project.

Except for minor speed bumps the job was very enjoyable.
Organization need structure
Finance (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 28, 2015
Place is full of negativeness and unfriendly co-workers. Working here is very political and you need to know someone in the top management to be able to progress.
Pros
Free lunches
Great Company! Enjoy to work here
Senior Project Scheduler/Project Contrils (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRMay 26, 2015
CDM Smith makes you feel cared for. Of course, you have to do your job. But you do it gladly since you do feel part of a family. With great co-workers. A great atmosphere.
Productive Work Environment
Scheduler & Project Control Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Bank, IsraelMay 26, 2015
I had a great experience at CH2M, great management team and a promising company. Great support from the management team. I would work for them again!
Pros
Teamwork Environment
Cons
Deadlines are stressfull
No training, no advancement, tiny raises
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Formerly Oak Ridge, Now Knoxville TnApril 19, 2015
Have worked here for over 6 yrs and received no training as requested during my reviews. The managers ignore the fact there is little billable work and we are required to be utilized at 86-87%. Holidays and PTO factor into that rate and it is very difficult to maintain a utilization rate that high. if you don't maintain that rate and "play the game" with the managers don't expect to get a descent raise above cost of living/. Upper management continues to get late bonuses but the company says it is doing well yet minimal raises are given out and no contributions have been given to our out profit sharing in 3 yrs.

There is no growth in the the federal group that i have seen unless you play up to mananagment

I have seen other managers in other departments and they are not as mine. They are kind, respective and don't micromanage to the point of looking for you while you go the restroom or checking in constantly. It is a shame one person can cause so many to be unhappy yet HR has been constantly told and nothing is done about this manager.

It is good to see other managers treating their employees better but the federal group is consistently filled with micromanaging leaders.
Pros
Most co-workers are nice
Cons
expensive benefits, lack of training, minimal raises, and micromanaging leaders
Interviewed with CDM Smith
Interviewed with CDM Smith (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 9, 2015
I interviewed with CDM Smith and wasn't impressed at all. They expect you to know fire alarm design, power design, communications, and security system design but they don't want to pay you and if you knew how to do all those things, you would probably start your own company. Typical company that wants you to receive no training and work long hours and be paid very little. They seem to not understand the difference between capable people and people who can fill a checklist. One may get you hired but being capable requires a company being willing to invest in the employee through training and providing the right tools, resources, and opportunities. Just another company that offers very little but expects too much.
Pros
Didn't Get Hired There
Great team members and office leader
Office Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 6, 2015
I have learned the most important aspects of working as a team member and independently. When you work with a team or by yourself, they both matter in terms of efficiency and time. It was easy to adjust because everyone was really helpful.
Pros
free lunches
Great workplace with lots of supportive workers
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2015
-A typical day equals design and calculations for electrical components of a wastewater and water treatment plant.
-Co-workers were very helpful and answered all my questions for the most part.
-Hardest part of the job is learning how to multitask and deal with very short and tight budgets
Pros
great learning experience, working enviroment
Cons
project management could be better
No organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 24, 2014
I came on as a part time temporary Administrative Assistant through Delmet Services for CDM Smith. I was told I would be working up to 20 hours a week, that never happened. I would come into the office, stay for an hour, then be sent home because there was nothing for me to do. I was told week after week I'd be getting more hours because the work would be starting and nothing ever happened. The staff was great as far as their personalities but there is absolutely no organization whatsoever and there is a lack of communication and professionalism.
Pros
great pay
Cons
no hours, no organization, lack of professionalism
okay company; Irvine office is dead
Sr. Project Manager/Seller (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 29, 2014
dead office filled with old hags. No motivation in employees, poor group leaders.
Terrible change in this Company.
Happy Ex Employee (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLJune 9, 2014
A typical day at work is exhausting. They unfortunately have become a company simply buying up other companies. The company has completely changed in the last 10 years. The new management, especially middle managers are soley focused on squeezing the last ounce of sweat out of you. Its sad, but true.

A once decent company dedicated to the bottom line. A horrible place to be and forget work/life balance. You will be lulled into a honeymoon period by clever managers, and 6 months in, the vice starts to tighten.

You will then be reminded at review time that the company simply "has no money" so minimum compensation increases are the norm, all the while asking you to work longer and harder.

It is interesting that CDM Smith does hand out massive bonus checks to all those managers who are successful in keeping the money from you as in minimum raises etc.

I am not a disgruntled employee, I am simply stating why after 18 years, I left and have never been happier I did.

It has become a terrible place to work and a money grabbing greedy firm like many others where the few at the top take it all...
Pros
good benefits
Cons
see above.
Productive and workplace friendly work place enviorment
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2014
As Contract Administrator I had a very busy desk. During the time I was employed at CDM Smith my trainer was thorough. My trainer made certain I knew everything vital to successfully completing my tasks. My co workers were very warm and inviting. Always willing to assist when needed. The hardest part of the job was getting over being the new kid on the block. The best part of the job was in employed in a position that allowed continual career grow and knowledge and understanding of the business.