CDM Smith Employee Reviews

College Internship
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 15, 2017
Invaluable experience and exposure to engineering consulting as an undergraduate. The office was very collegiate and was given lots of opportunities to work on different projects
CDM Smith Headquarters may not always have the big picture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 27, 2016
One size fits all may work for big box stores and so on but there should be more 2-way communication with active listening between local and headquarters.
Excellent school
Senior Planner/Engineer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 7, 2016
Enjoyed my time there, learned a lot. Have access to all of the university so you can take classes in geography, civil engineering, landscape architecture in addition to your urban planning coursework.
not enough work at times
Pipe fitter (Former Employee) –  Little Elm, TXNovember 30, 2016
lots of favoritism and do overs in work due to incompetent
work as it is was good when we did have work but the superintends had no clue what was going on or how to make work more productive
Pros
pay was good when there was work
Cons
work
it was good
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2016
office is pretty small, we did change offices. I do not like the location however everything is updated and good now. There is room to learn
Great exposure and learning experience
Construction Intern (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARNovember 2, 2016
Work days are typically long at CDM Smith like all other construction companies. The management and the co-workers are really friendly and help you settle into life at the industry and company quite easily. Though the company is very large, each project has only a small team which makes it easier to get to know everyone and encourages working together to get the job done.
Pros
Exposure to large projects
Cons
narrow focus on single type of project
They pay well, but there is no organization
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Little Elm, TXSeptember 30, 2016
I came to this company with promises of job security and future advancements, When I left everyone I knew with cdm was preparing to quit or be laid off. At no given time did it ever really seem like they had their stuff together. If your looking for money.. its not a bad place to work. If you are looking for a future its pretty sad.
Pros
They pay better than most, Good benifits, paid vacation
Cons
Everything else.
fast and great company
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYSeptember 29, 2016
CDM is a very fast paced and high demand environment. Was able to help individuals that were replaced from their homes due to hurricane to get back into their homes which is now safe, decent and sanitary.
Good company
Geologist II (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJSeptember 17, 2016
A typical work day is what I learned about management and coworkers. The hardest part of the job is the most enjoyable part of the job. CDM Smith is a good company.
Good
Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 1, 2016
mid-sized company that is flexible and works with employees to allow for transfer and alternate hours. Focus on community and recognizing good work
Large firm - great place to start
Highway/Traffic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 20, 2016
CDM Smith provides all of the resources needed to complete highway design tasks.
Great individual team working on large, federally funded projects.
Wonderful work environment
Information Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Maitland, FLJuly 15, 2016
There's never a dull day. CDM Smith offers job security, an environment conducive to learning and perfecting your craft.
Good Company to work for but require lot of travelling
Construction Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 4, 2016
One of the leader in DB world and water, waste water treatment work. Routine work includes project management tasks, co-workers are fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is lot of travelling.
Benefits
Why this place is great
PLANNER II (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 22, 2016
Everything one would want in a planning firm is here. The culture is well thought out and the management cares about its employees.
Safety is truly first with CDM Smith
Civil Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 5, 2016
Good company where hard work truly pays off. They do promote from within and serious about Safety. Upper management is approachable and willing to listen. Supervisors are given room to work and display their own skills and wisdom.
Pros
Good salary and benefits and good people to work with
Cons
Need more local jobs in the Dallas Area so families can stay together
Loved the job and environment
Senior Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 5, 2016
Working with Project Managers, Engineers, Clients, Client Service Managers, all over the United States.

Managing budgets, reviewing contracts, accounts payable and receivable.

Co-workers were awesome. Worked well with everyone and all types of personalities.
Pros
Lunch meetings, informative seminars, traveling
Cons
N/A
Very professional environment with many opportunities for a graduate engineer
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 29, 2016
The company has made significant changes to it's management structure since I started my career there 21 years ago. I'm not confident in the prospects of further advancement as a senior technical specialist. The work environment is great for young engineers getting started in the industry. That is one of the best aspects of the company.
Too top heavy
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 24, 2016
Too many layers of management who fail to bring value added to projects, yet adversely impact project profitability. Firm concentrates on large scale projects only. Its very difficult to break in with new clients where you have to establish a track record with small projects, building up to large ones. Trying to expand globally, but has no clear vision or commitment for an effective expansion.
Pros
Employee owned, large, long established, and project diverse firm, allowing the potential for challenging project work
Cons
Top heavy and unfocused management
Great company, uninspiring clients.
Intermediate Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 23, 2016
I loved working for CDM. The company is doing very well right now and advancement is fairly easy if you work hard and do a good job. My managers with CDM were amazing and probably the best I will have had for a long time to come.The down side for myself, as a graphic designer, was the clientele and work content. There are only so many outlets for a creative person in a government/planner environment. The company and co-workers were wonderful and I wish that had been enough to make me stay but I didn't love what I was doing 40 hours a week and that was reason enough to move on.
Pros
Promising advancement, friendly co-workers
Cons
Uninspiring clients
Reputable Company
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 21, 2016
I wok in HQ in downtown Boston. The culture is a little bland. There are people who have been at the company 20+ to even 40 years, which makes it bland. It's a casual place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CDM Smith. Our community is ready to answer.