CEB Employee Reviews

Great work environment with hit or miss management
Research Analyst, Corporate Finance Practice (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 2, 2017
Excellent work/life balance and fun, friendly culture among other analysts. While both of my managers were excellent and very focused on my development/advancement, I can't say the same for their superiors and other managers in Finance.

Promotions/advancements were seemingly arbitrary and often appeared to be the result of favoritism. In the Finance practice (where I worked), there were no women in the two levels above entry level. It seems that many women were driven out by lack of opportunity for advancement and condescending behavior by managers. These issues were reported to HR and never addressed.
Pros
Free lunches, work/life balance, friendly environment
Cons
Inconsistent management, unclear criteria for promotion
An OK Place to Start
Senior Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VirginiaApril 15, 2017
- I worked here for a few years in qualitative research research analyst.
- I enjoyed learning the business model; it's a complex company with many different product lines, and as a research analyst you have a chance to impact just about any area you can make a case for.
- However, the hours can be long and compensation is not (at least, not when I was there) on par with companies performing similar work with similar hours.
- If you are at all technically inclined, you should go into quant research and focus your resume on quant skills because everything else just ends up being sales. Then either progress within the company making data-driven products or use your technical skills to get another job. If sales is your "thing", maybe it's a good place to stay longer.
- Hours can vary greatly by time of year and culture of the (often tiny, 2-4 people) immediate team you are on.
- I'm not surprised they were bought by Gartner: It has lots of potential but it's a bit different company so can be a hard sell to clients unfamiliar with their work. Hopefully Gartner's brand can help CEB focus its considerable resources and intellectual firepower.
- Management is a completely mixed bag: sometimes, you are managed by ex-McKinsey consultants who have "upgraded" their work-life balanced by coming to CEB and can easily manage CEB's complex workflows. Other times, you are managed by someone with no previous management experience or training. These people hold the (often political) keys to your advancement.
Pros
fascinating business model, exposure to many different industries and business concepts, occasionally intellectually interesting work, accomplished colleagues
Cons
crushing hours during crunch time out of proportion with compensation, extremely political and cliquish, pressured to talk in meetings just to talk as metric for evaluation, outside of quant research very hard to build respected technical skills, ends up being mostly sales instead of research
Interesting work, frustrating culture
Research Consultant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 15, 2017
At CEB, I enjoy the projects that I work on and the type of work the company does. However, it has been difficult to do that successfully in a culture that rewards little more than agreeing with everybody else. In an organization that prides itself on "disagreement research", you would think leaders would be more open to other points of view internally. Nevertheless, I enjoyed being able to make a large impact on the vast membership the company served.
Overall a good experience
Associate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAMarch 12, 2017
CEB invests a lot of time into its entry level employees, but the learning curve for folks coming in externally (for sales roles at least) is fairly steep. Overall, I had a great experience.
Typical work environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  USADecember 7, 2016
CEB is your typical place to work. They are a global company so colleagues are spread out across the globe. They offer sufficient training and access to the tools that are required to complete your job.
CEB was a letdown
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2016
I went in with high hopes & came out nothing but disappointed- specifically with management. The culture is super inmature & management lacked any leadership.
Depending on your education you will not advance or be valued
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 3, 2016
THose with masters or PHDs treated those working towards a graduate degree and just had a BA as if they were not smart enough or qualified to interact with clients.

There was one individual who was the reason for 2 people leaving the company and management promoted him because of his knowledge even though his colleagues and CLIENTS were unhappy with the way he interacted with clients.
Need to be a quick study and adaptable to change
Senior IT Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GeorgiaJuly 28, 2016
Typical day for me would involve attending many meetings and working long hours to ensure all work was completed

My manager was great but was also stretched very thin. My team was wonderful and I could always rely on them to get their work done

My work life balance was not great and working while on vacation was the norm. This does not happen everywhere within CEB though.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Bad work life balance
Productive and fun place to work
Account Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2016
8:30- 5:30 Job. Great working atmosphere, with great colleagues to help you out if you ever have a problem or question. Management is good, closely work with either an Account management or Sales Executive. Work life balance is the most enjoyable aspect of the job.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Culture
Cons
Limited upward mobility
Energetic work environment , fun people to work with
Bussiness Development Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 7, 2016
It is a great place to start your career I the sales environment. It has continually pushed me out of my boundaries and has allowed me to become a more productive and efficient worker. Having said that, the management there is as all high pressure sales environment. It is an all right position if you don't mind dialing 100 times a day and pitching all day over the phone.
Cons
Management is poor
Awesome team, challenging work
Program Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 2, 2016
The work in the CEB project is amazing, challenging and gives opportunities to be focused but creative every day. From having barely any people we grew to 15 members in the team in three years and completed work volume normally handled by twice as many people

The one thing that I have never understood is the lack of possibility to arrange work hours more flexibly and integrate suitable technology. If we would have been allowed to work at least part time from home (50/50) it would be the most ideal project ever.

I am glad to have been a part of it and will always cherish it
Pros
Great team, good compensation, challenging assignments
Cons
old fashioned work hours, unfit IT systems
N/a
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 30, 2016
It's a cool career startup for a recent college graduate. Nice company culture and learning experience. Not for everyone but the right candidate or employee can be successful doing what is expected.
Dysfunctional organization working for a good cause
Account Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 17, 2016
Lots of office politics here. Highly dysfunctional. Everything takes lightyears to get done. Processes they use are archaic. Overall, the charity does make a difference in a lot of people's lives. They just need to fix themselves and they will make an even bigger impact.
Ceb
IT Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 5, 2016
CEB is an ok company. I started there almost a year ago. Not a lot of room for advancement. Especially after earning my CISSP.
Great place to start!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2016
Really loved the culture and people at CEB. It's such a great place to learn and grow - you can really do a lot! Management is great, and if you are a hard worker, you can go far.
benefits
Great Benefits, Lacking Career Advancement
Sales (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 5, 2016
Overall CEB is a great company to work for and to get professional work experience. They pride themselves on hiring the best of the best, including extremely smart and innovative individuals.

The environment is friendly and they offer a great benefits package that is very competitive, however in many departments they lack career advancement.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly environment
Cons
Lacking career advancement
Great Company and Benefits
Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 19, 2016
Great company to work for. Salary could be a bit better but the benefits and Paid-time-off are second to none. Positive work environment and great training system. Positive managers and supervisors and everyone is helpful.
Pros
time off
Cons
stressful
Great People, Horrible Business
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 16, 2016
There are so many brilliant and kind people working at CEB who support organizations around the world with research and best practices yet CEB does not follow its own guidance.

Horrible career pathing, low pay and poor management at the top.
Manager was not supportive
analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 6, 2016
Work in my division often consisted of doing the same thing each day but that might have changed since then. The rah-rah culture was not my favorite.
Pros
Lots of free food
Cons
career development
Fun
Corporate Executive Board (Former Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAJanuary 6, 2016
Fun but unorganized. Good leadership in some sections but in other departments there is a lot of confusion. Work hours are pretty good except they micro manage a lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CEB. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8