CECIL COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Good
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake City, MDNovember 14, 2017
Good place to work? Students are good kids. Other teachers are good people. Some of the administration are good. The Schools are nice. The pay was good.
Love my job!
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDNovember 2, 2017
Working in a school cafeteria is awesome! I love to see the children everyday and I love to feed them. Truly an easy job for any age. Wish I started sooner.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDJuly 31, 2017
As a substitute, I worked at various locations. Each school location had its own culture. Some schools are friendlier and more helpful to substitutes than others.
Pros
Can make your own schedule
Cons
Highly political
Cecil County Public Schools
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDMay 15, 2017
Lots of scheduling, flexibility, and time management are a key for being a special educator. The people are friendly to work with but the schedules and finding time in the day to do what needs to be done is stressful.
Pros
great people, lots of support for fellow staff members
Cons
behaviors
Exclusive
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cecil County, MDApril 15, 2017
If you went to CCPS, know educators in schools, have established relationships, and are a young, new teacher, you may excel. New curriculum supports general educators by reducing work load. Good luck!
Work When you Like
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDApril 9, 2017
As a sub, jobs are on a work when you like basis. I am able to take any available job, but under no obligation to work a set number of hours. This is the appeal of the job for part time work. When on the job itself, it varies depending on the day and the classroom. It is nice to have variety. The worst part of the job is hoping to be able to get an assignment. All subs are offered the same jobs and it is a first-come-first-served environment. Stress comes from not being guaranteed a steady schedule.
Pros
Fairly relaxed days. Good pay for the work done.
Cons
Availability of work. Sometimes the students.
Great for flexibility
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cecil County, MDFebruary 21, 2017
Working as a substitute is very flexible and pays pretty well. Of course there are no benefits. The days are different depending on what school and grade you go to. You are essentially your own boss. You choose where and when you work. Some days are great and the kids are wonderful, other days are terrible.
Pros
Flexible, decent pay
Cons
no benefits, not full time
It was an incredibly positive and supportive environment to work in.
Fifth Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDFebruary 7, 2017
I was chosen out of four other highly qualified individuals for the position of being the fourth fifth grade teacher at Elk Neck Elementary school. I looked forward to going to work everyday. I had an incredibly strong connection with my diverse student body each year.
The staff could not have been more supportive in order to ensure that I was successful as a new teacher. The county was helpful in assuring that I could get a graduate degree while teaching. I had an incredibly positive experience there.
Pros
Incredible health benefits and tuition reimbursement.
Cons
Class sizes were growing too quickly.
Lowest Paying in the Area
Technology Tech III (Current Employee) –  North East, MDDecember 23, 2016
Best part were my co workers.
Chance to advance was non-existent.
Most people have been there 30 - 40 - 50 years.
I learned a lot from my co-workers they were very knowledgeable.
Pros
Slow in the summer
Cons
Wages
Living the dream
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Cecil County, MDDecember 14, 2016
I substitute at various grade levels. One day is never the same as the other. I am able to add to the student experience with my experience from work and sports. I coach baseball in the spring. The other coaches are very good to work with. We exchange ideas and strategies and pass the knowledge to the ball players. The hardest job is to give everyone enough playing time and the most enjoyable is the development of their baseball skills.
Pros
educating and getting positive feedback
Cons
there is no real cons
Solid Job
Building Automation and HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Cecil County MarylandNovember 28, 2016
It is a nice place to work with lots of different equipment to maintain there are lots of nice people and a decent atomsphere
Flexible and Fun educational environment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDMarch 21, 2016
MY employment with Cecil County Public Schools educated me as much as I assisted in educating the students. Learning grading systems, curriculum, writing lesson plans, taking disciplinary actions, conferencing with students and conveying lessons on a day to day basis, taught me invaluable lessons as an educator.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Upbeat Fast Paced Environment, Great People
Cons
Changing Subjects
A rewarding, community oriented job with a flexible schedule.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Cecil County, MDJanuary 10, 2016
CCPS has been a good place to work. I am not leaving for any reason other than financial. I would still like to work in education.

As a substitute, there is an easy to use online job assignment scheduling tool and flexible schedules.

Coworkers varied by school location, during long term assignments I was able to get to know staff and administration better. For the most part, people were committed to education and providing for students.

The hardest part of the job is the compensation- the hours needed to be a successful long term substitute are more than the substitute pay scale covers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the community and educating students.
Ccps
Mathematics Educator (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDNovember 14, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. not at all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape. But who doesn't have red tape.
Very fast paced made day go by quickly.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Cecil Manor ElementaryOctober 6, 2015
Prep meals for the breakfast and lunch breaks , served the meals or cashiered, cleaned up and prepared work station for the next day.
Pros
To know you played a small part in feeding the children meals that were so needed.
Cons
no benefits
Challenging, Multi-task-oriented environment
FBLA Advisor/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Perryville, MDOctober 2, 2015
Having taught high school and college level business courses for 41 years, the interactive environment descriptive of academic environments has been rewarding as well as challenging on many levels. The complexion of changes in technology demanded constant attention to upgrading skills and knowledge required to teach young adults current skills needed in businesses. My personal and professional expectations, therefore, needed to change as well to address the students' goals. Working now on a part time basis after having retired will allow me to continue to apply my knowledge and skills in helping today's young adults achieve their academic goals.
very productive and great career
assistant principal for high school (Former Employee) –  elkton, mdAugust 19, 2015
Was great place to work at over a long period of years with great people to help you advance yourself each day.
Advancement was available for all who wished it and earned it.
Pros
great compensations
Interesting place to work
Paraprofessional (Modified Instructional Program) (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDJuly 31, 2014
Everyday is a challenge.
Teachers are helpful.
Paraprofessionals are knowledge individuals.
Pros
Friendly place to work.
Cons
Too many changes in the administrative level.
Tough place to work if you're not from there...
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rising Sun, MDJanuary 31, 2014
Having come from Philadelphia, Rising Sun is almost a step back in time. They have 3 traffic lights, one diner, and pretty closed minds. Not very enjoyable if you are trying to engage your students. Parents hover like helicopters, and administration doesn't know how to handle this innovation by a new teacher.
It is beautiful, though. Very nice scenery outside of the school. The kids are fantastic, for the most part.
Very stable environment
Assistant in Facilities for Operations (Current Employee) –  Elkton, Md. 21921January 9, 2014
Manage operations for the county - 32 sites
Personnel issues/hiring practices/etc. were learned
I was part of management
Having to recommend dismissal of an employee worse part
Hiring someone that really needed and wanted a job and training them to be successful was best part
Pros
Stability
Cons
Workshift changes ever two weeks