Title: Assistant Medical Director/Staff Psychiatrist
Status: AMD – Part-Time (20 hours/week); Staff Psychiatrist (Part/Full-Time)
Reports To: Medical Director
SUMMARY: The assistant medical director/Staff Psychiatrist under the direction of the medical director will serve as the Staff Psychiatrist medical administrator for Cedar Springs Austin’s treatment facility. The assistant medical director develops and implements policies, procedures and best practices. This position also oversees all training and continuing education for their staff. Additionally, the assistant medical director assures that the facility is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws. The assistant medical director reports directly to the Owner/CEO. All services are provided by highly trained multidisciplinary clinicians and support staff.
The staff psychiatrist position will serve as an active member of the medical staff providing Psychiatric and Medical care to Eating Disorder and Obesity patients.
COMPETENCIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ASST. MEDICAL DIRECTOR
1. Responsible for all activities related to the delivery of medical, mental health and other clinical services such as cost management, utilization review, quality assurance, and medical protocol development.
o Monitors the quality and appropriateness of medical care.
o Work closely with staff on quality improvement initiatives.
2. Provides clinical administrative supervision of the other physicians and clinical staff, including the recruiting and credentialing processes.
o Provides guidance and leadership for performance guidelines.
o Direct clinical care duties including initial evaluations and assessments, treatment and management of patient caseload.
o Serves on clinical non-services committee
o Oversees clinical peer review, documentation and care planning
3. Sets goals and objectives consistent with organization goals and develops effective action plans for their achievement.
o Advocates for and positively represents organizational changes in goals and direction.
4. Observes, develops, implements and clarifies policies, procedures and regulations to facilitate department operation that are consistent with organizational, legal and accreditation guidelines.
o Clearly explains policies, procedures and accreditation requirements as well as what constitutes a violation.
o Objectively applies policies, and procedures. Seeks voluntary compliance before resorting to enforcement action.
5. Participate in program development and liaison activities with community referral sources and managed care companies.
o Support physician education and community relations
6. Communicates effectively and regularly with all staff regarding specific patient, administrative and management needs.
o Actively participates in team, leadership and miscellaneous meetings.
o Assists staff in understanding patients’ special issues, as well as skills providing care relevant to these issues.
o Communicates safety concerns directly, as well as writing in patients charts.
o Presents information clearly, concisely, and logically. Focuses on key points.
o Provides training and presentation sessions using clear language to communicate complex concepts. Varies content, style and form to meet the purpose and needs of the group.
7. Must be available (on call) for patients at various times throughout the day/night and weekends.
o Covers for other clinicians on sick days, vacations, and conferences.
o Participates in a physician on call list as assigned.
8. Handles clinical patient complaints
9. Reports to the physician CEO/Medical Director
10. Excellent interpersonal and management skills are a must
11. Must have exceptional research and writing skills
COMPETENCIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE STAFF PSYCHIATRIST
1. Provides ongoing clinical services and medication management to patients in all levels of care: medical and psychiatric.
o Completes psychiatric admissions or discharge summaries within 24 hours.
o Provides crisis interventions and manages all emergency information in a prompt, precise, and professional manner, giving appropriate guidance to patients, families and employees.
o Reviews and completes medical updates for individual treatment plans while coordinating with treatment teams.
o Reviews patient medical information to ensure medical stability and to offer treatment recommendations.
o Ensures the physical health and care of patients is held to the highest standards.
2. Meets individually with families and facilitates ongoing communication about patient care.
3. Works with area medical schools to train and supervise psychiatric residents.
4. Demonstrates professional conduct, concern, respect, and compassion toward all patients, families, co-workers and the public as a representative of Cedar Springs Austin.
o Respects and maintains the confidentiality of all patient information, which includes not speaking about patient information in public settings or non-private areas at Cedar Springs Austin (i.e. community space, office with door open, etc.).
o Demonstrates ability to work in a cooperative manner as a team member.
o Demonstrates ability to problem solve issues with co-workers and refrain from involvement in negative talk regarding patients or co-workers.
o Communicates concerns regarding policies, working conditions, patients, or co-workers through appropriate channels.
o Demonstrates dependability to include attendance and punctuality.
o Is accountable-takes initiative and ownership of issues.
o Represents willingness/enthusiasm to create, embrace and facilitate change.
5. Attends and participates in staff meetings/trainings.
o Maintains faculty appointments as appropriate to supervise activities.
6. Accurately fills out billing and time sheets and turns them in to the appropriate department.
7. Demonstrates commitment to advancing clinical skills and professional development through attendance of training.
o Maintains license requirements by acquiring necessary continuing education units through training, public speaking, and home study options, as delineated by the state board.
o Attends and actively participates in Group Supervision meetings, trainings, and therapist meetings.
o Attends and participates in annual safety, employee and management training.
o Completes Cedar Springs Austin required physical and TB testing.
o Adheres to National Patient Safety Goals
8. Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and development by maintaining professional competence through participation in staff development and other learning experiences.
9. All other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited school of medicine and licensed as a Medical Doctor/Psychiatrist in the State of Texas in good standing.
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience with a medical or mental health facility.
- Board certified in Psychiatry preferred
- Significant clinical experience in mental health facilities
- Admitting privileges at local hospitals
- Experience working with Eating Disorder and Obesity patients
- Demonstrated professional commitment to providing services to medically underserved persons
- Crisis intervention and problem solving skills
- Current DEA/BNDD licensing
- Administrative, management or supervisory experience
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Computer literate in electronic mail, word processing, and office management system software