Celadon Trucking Employee Reviews in United States

Horrible
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Logansport, INJuly 20, 2016
Worst trucking company I have ever heard of. Owner will get you in debt and make sure that he keeps you there so that you can not make a living or support a family
Run away from this company as far as you can!
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 5, 2016
This is not a well run company. If they can find a loophole not to pay you what you're owed that's what they do. On pay stubs they make it look like they have reimbursed the driver however if you do the math yourself, at the end they will deduct what should have been a reimbursement. So you have to go through the pay stubs carefully. They don't like to pay detention pay even if you follow their rules. They will find a loophole not to pay you. When you call about your pay issues, you WILL get the run around. Whether or not it gets fixed may or may not happen. You can end up waiting several weeks after lots of arguing. Their open door policy is complete nonsense. You can never go up the chain of command. They have no idea how to schedule loads properly and regularly you will not have all the appropriate info when at consignor. They do not care about a driver's safety. Best bet is if you have an issue go to a weigh station and demand a DOT inspection. Their mechanics will claim they have done the work on your truck but really haven't. Told me they swapped my batteries however they didn't. The batteries were dirty and hadn't even been touched. No finger prints on the dirty batteries anywhere. Kinda obvious. Got run around when pointing that out to the mechanic. Don't go through the schooling through them either. The wagelock is a gimmick. Very rarely does it pay and you won't get it if your truck isn't running right. Some of what goes onto the scorecard are out of the drivers control which is what makes it difficult to earn wagelock regularly. DM's will pull a fast one and give  more... you a load they know will be late even though not the drivers fault it gets counted against you on your scorecards. Even after pointing it out to them. They will tell you they will take care of it but they don't. Loose out on a money sitting and waiting for responses, for truck to get fixed, for sitting at consignors because you don't have right info or the load was live load/unload instead of drop and hook. Night DM's have no authority so you are out of luck on nights and weekends are no better. Working for this company requires lots of arguing to get what's owed you or to get things fixed. This is not a smooth running company. Seemed like people either don't want to do their jobs or don't know how. Take your pick.  less
Pros
NONE
Cons
ALL OF IT
Celadon Trucking is an interesting place to work
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 1, 2016
I enjoy the challenges presented to me working at Celadon Trucking, and I have learned a lot about the trucking industry.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
I am discovering I am not excited about the trucking industry
not a good company at all
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 1, 2016
the only thing good about this company is their free lunch in orientation they screw you over on your money they screw you on the maintenance on their own vehicles i dont recommend these people to anyone.
Wonderful place to work
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXJune 20, 2016
I learned a lot everyday at Celadon, the work environment is wonderful, managers too.
I really love Celadon and working there was an awesome experience.
I considered all my coworkers my own family.
When you love your job there is no hard part of the job.
Poorly ran company, will take what they can get away with from you!
Lease purchase (Former Employee) –  OtrJune 20, 2016
We are lease purchase here. We work very hard to stay above water. They keep 30% of your fuel surcharge, keep most of the fuel rebates, and nickel and dime you to death. They claim lots of drop and hook, but mostly drop and look, because there is not an empty there. Then after running around searching for a trailer you have to get things fixed on it. They don't hold drivers accountable for dropping trailer with bad tires and in need of repair. You really have to watch your pay to see where you have been cheated. They took money out of my escrow account to pay for a repair that I paid with my Visa, a month has passed and still trying to get my money back. Lease purchase get mostly short, heavy, low paying loads while the good stuff gets brokered out or put on company trucks.... Also, beware of the leasing company they use (Quality) , they don't care anymore about you than Celadon!
Pros
Ummm, Im trying to think of something
Cons
Dont care, lie, and steal from you...
Absolutely horrendous
Over-the-road driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis IndianaJune 16, 2016
This company's drives on making a profit at drivers expense. There is almost zero on time and when you complain they figure out a way to screw you on your paychecks. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
Pretty decent trucks
Cons
Very poor management
Truck driver
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCJune 16, 2016
Horrible pay and poor management lowest pay in the industry. they don't care about their drivers they only care about the load getting there on time.
driving for co.
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXJune 13, 2016
i came back because of equipment and especially because they have battery operated apu,recruiter and first dm did the best they could to keep me busy i did not give them a chance at first but need to be patient with anything in life correct whats the sayin rome was not built in a day but they were/are great with working to see what works for you looking forward to second try
Pros
they are there for you
Cons
none at moment
good place to work
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN 46223June 10, 2016
a typical day at work you stay out two or 3 weeks at a time , co workers were great very helpful , like all driving jobs you get to be your own boss

Want to know more about Celadon Trucking?

Ask a question
It's just another driving job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 9, 2016
I would start and end my day with inspections on the semi. The company would expect you to stay out for at least 3 weeks at a time and only 1 day off per week you were out. Benefits were not that great, they were to expensive. I did however like the computer logg book but thats about it. the truck they gave me always was breaking down.
Very productive
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 3, 2016
Good benefits for employees. Great productivity for it's drivers. Management is okay and handles procedures very well.
Awful experience
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 27, 2016
This was an awful place to work. I was a dispatch manager and the place was filthy and loud. I would have to hear very bad language and watch people Chew Tobacco all the time. The management is inexperienced and doesn't know how to communicate with their workers. They treat the drivers awful and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. They also lied about the bonuses and said they would pay up to 15 to 20 thousand extra. Hardly anyone ever received a bonus and if they did it was well below 5%.
Teams - good, solos - not so good
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 27, 2016
Team drivers are almost always running with little to no downtime in between loads. Solo drivers spend up to 1-2 days in between loads a lot of times.
Great hours, no weekends
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 13, 2016
I loved the work and the coworkers. The Manager was great, but didn't tolerate being late. It was actually a pretty good company. They downsize a lot so don't get to comfortable. Everyone is replaceable!!!
Pros
Good scheduler
Cons
HIGHHHHHH turn over and not secure
best job ever
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2016
good job and people best job in a long time out standing people to work for u just wish i could go back u you will not just drive u will work as well...............................................................................
Pros
everthing
Cons
irqa
i
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
i like it but not great. lots of hours and pay is minimal for a collegiately educated person. some travel if you are selected to do acquisitions for the company
Typical warehouse job
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 29, 2016
Work was steady and easy. Management switched hands several times in my time there and each one wanted to run it a little different by nothing to hard to adjust to.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Do not care about their drivers
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 28, 2016
Was not getting good miles some times had to wait for loads i would stay out 2 mouth sometimes then put in for home time they would get me home when they wanted
Pros
Cons
they lie about every thing
Major Concerns about Management and Upper Management at this Organization
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 13, 2016
Celadon has a lot of things to work on. There are many great staff members at this organization, and even a few managers that take care of their staff and look to develop them in a positive way.

However, the core section of Celadon Management and Upper Management is dominated by self interest. Much of the management members care about advancing THEMSELVES and they do not care about the moral or ethical cost of doing such things.

In addition, Celadon has a very bad habit of buying up companies WITHOUT making sure the back end is well staffed and has updated processes to HANDLE their changes.

Celadon had a 72% increase in employees in the last 2 fiscal years. (June 13-June 14; June 14- June 15). Despite this fact, MANY departments have seen few, if any, staff additions These departments routinely inform upper management of changes that are needed, and upper management denies these changes - typically because of the cost.

What this results in, is staff that is extremely overworked and processes that are either on their way to breaking or already broken. Good employees will warn their managers of this concern, but most do not listen, because helping their employees does not necessarily effect their upward movement. It is only when it does that these managers will mitigate these situations.

My advice to Celadon is to train their managers, make sure they are not narcissistic or dealing in practices with staff that could get the company in legal trouble. Human Resources needs to take a more active role and hold Managers accountable for such behavior.

In addition,
  more... Celadon needs to start taking care of its staff, as well as move the company forward. At some point, if it continues to not correct department issues in favor of acquisitions or other purchases, it will fail.  less
Pros
Great Coworkers; Lots of Growth
Cons
Power Hungry Management; Inethical Behavior; Human Resources Department weak; Disorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Celadon Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7