Celadon Trucking Employee Reviews

Poorly Managed
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2017
Typical day can be stressful due to needing to get approval from managers before being able to complete a task. This is necessary at first but need to allow workers to make decisions without being micro managed.
Future and Job Security Unknown
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 14, 2017
I enjoy working for Celadon. I enjoy the fast pace work environment but not much job security and no room for advancement. Pay was lower than I had expected but I enjoy learning about this industry from the bottom up.

I am very appreciative of what I've learned but that is limited as my position has been simplified and once my job is done, that is it. I would like to learn other processes but I'm stuck in my roll.

Not sure of health insurance rates from other companies but I feel like I am paying a lot in health insurance and I opted out of vision and dental since health was expensive enough.
Pros
fast pace, learning about the industry
Cons
lower pay, no room for advancement, turnover
The management staff is lacking
Customer Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 9, 2017
They have successfully created a hostile work environment. Where you are set up to be unable to fulfill your goals and service your customers period lose-lose situation all around
Pros
Free gym
driving cross country
Class A CDL Truck Driver Trainee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 4, 2017
it was ok until I broke down in Laredo TX for 5 days with no pay. not enough home time. it was a nice experience for the time. training was good still need more training.
Fun environment
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, inMay 2, 2017
Fun environment very nice people to work with the managers are very cool the people make it fun to work with, work at your own pace but be productive, be well organized.
Fun
Planner (Current Employee) –  Kernersville, NCMay 1, 2017
In Kernersville we're busy but it's a great environment. We have a lot of fun but work is still very fast paced. Corporate makes things harder than they need to be sometimes.
Fun place to work
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2017
I'm not gonna ruin it find out for urself, President of company had talk to new drivers and had lunch with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Know before you go
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 10, 2017
Offer bonus incentives that they take away at will without notification. "Scorecard" bonus discontinued in October 2016 without notification and did not pay from Jan - to date they said they discontinued.
Pros
Always get you home on time
Not a Great Environment
Freight Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 7, 2017
I worked in the office in Indianapolis for a year and a half. I was a freight analyst, which means I made the decision whether or not to accept freight that was sent to us from customers. This was all done digitally (email and computer software).

My job required me to make hundreds of decisions every day about what kind of freight would be good for our company, but the decision making process that we were required to use changed on a daily basis. It was impossible to get a work flow going from day to day because of the constant change. The crux of our job was changed so much we basically didn't get to make decisions after a while. We were presented with rules to follow like monkeys at the circus. Our managers would get us together for a meeting to introduce sweeping change that would stay in place for about a week at most before another drastic change was implemented.

I also had management standing over my shoulder constantly. We were required to answer myriad emails and phone calls every day about decisions we had made the previous day or week. You could make an incredible decision that made money for the company one day, but it would all get wiped away the next day when you didn't follow the new rule to a T. The constant micro-managing was beyond frustrating.

The worst part was the sales that we had to do. Management wanted us to reach out to our customers to get more shipments. More freight = more miles = more money; makes sense. However, things got so bad that they started implementing requirements for soliciting customers. Then we had a requirement to successfully
  more... solicit customers. By the time I left there was a requirement for every employee to successfully win 5 extra shipments DAILY. That is a preposterous number that most people had trouble achieving. The pressure for more freight was so stressful that I saw it bring people to tears, myself included.

The stress from these requirements got so bad that I had to leave the job. I do not miss it at all.

Some other issues with the company

- The promotion process is incredibly off-putting. Your first promotion does not come with a raise.
- People who have worked there for many years have not been sufficiently compensated in their salary.
- There are managers there making less than $40k/year, which is just silly.
- The management style is entirely reactionary. Something goes wrong and everyone goes crazy (hence the ever-changing work flow).
- You have to work weekends on a rotating schedule in addition to your regular work schedule and are compensated with days off during the week. (I understand that the trucking industry never stops, but it makes more sense to just hire weekend staff).
- I was never required to stay late, but in order to do the job well you had to stay late to cover everything; and of course, you were not paid for this time. I do not know what the true numbers are, but I would estimate that the average employee at Celadon works 3-10 hours a week that they are not paid for. This was a constant frustration. We were assured that we did not need to stay late, but were questioned when things didn't get done because our shift ended and we went home.

There were some positive things about Celadon. The people I worked with were mostly very nice and really fun to work with despite the environment; I do miss them. My direct managers were fun, enjoyable and competent people. My complaints about management are all about upper managers (Department heads, Department presidents and vice presidents, etc.) There is a medical facility on site that is completely free to employees. This is an amazing benefit. I am very grateful that they had this. The health insurance was a little bit pricey, but good.

Overall, Celadon was not a great place to work. The industry itself is cut-throat, so maybe Celadon is on-par with other companies and I just don't know it. However, I cannot recommend that anyone works here. Since I left, my stress has reduced dramatically, and I have a new job outside of the trucking industry that pays better.
Pros
Free on site healthcare, excellent people working there
Cons
Hard to get promoted respectfully, Huge pressure to win freight, Ridiculous requirements for soliciting customers, Required to work weekends without being monetarily compensated, CONSTANT changing of work flow and rules, Upper management only reacts to bad situations (not proactive)
Got training
Company driver (Former Employee) –  WisconsinApril 5, 2017
Learne everything I needed to know to gain my cdls and employment. Learned all my training and safety procedures. Met a lot of great people, I love being a truck driverl
great if you want to travel
Truck Driver (OTR) Class A (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 28, 2017
Only been with company for almost 6months. Loving traveling and being gone but when truck is broke down your just sitting. They don't don't keep you busy enough especially if your solo
Pros
Travel
Cons
Communication, money, don't keep you busy if solo
Here is an honest review.
Lease Operator and Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Butler, INMarch 26, 2017
I leased on with Celadon during the buyout of Evans Transport in Butler, IN. I leased 1 of the very first Lonestars with the company to pull in the new flatbed division.

The flatbed takeover was so very new with Celadon and they handled it very well. Nice, new trucks and trailers offered through Quality Truck Sales and Leasing and for 2 years it went very well. There was a very strong support staff to help with anything that you needed from payroll, load securement, to getting oversize/over weight permits to haul to vast array of freight for many big jobs around the country. While I cannot speak for any of the whiny door swingers, Celadon is a fantastic company. If you do your job without complaint and understand that this is not a perfect industry, then Celadon is a good place to call home. I was ALWAYS treated like royalty any time I came in to the yard or even called someone on the phone. In 10 years of driving with over 1.2 million miles under my belt, this is by far the best I was ever treated as a person and an employee.

Their freight rates are honest and fair. Majority of their customer base paid higher than any other company I had pulled for but a lot of freight was broker freight as is with every flatbed company and it was still great rates because Celadon has a fantastic reputation in the world of logistics.

I thought the grass was greener on the other side and so I left and went to CRST Malone with my Lonestar. That's a terrible job, don't go to Malone. Ever.

Quality cancelled my lease and I was back to square one. Later I went back to Celadon thinking
  more... I could lease another truck from Quality but they suck too and I ended up goin as a company driver for a while pulling flatbed. The pay was .48 cpm plus stop, tarp, etc.. Once again, they treated me like royalty. I had to leave as my father had a major heart attack and was put on a transplant list so I needed a job to let me spend more time with my last living parent.

I've never had a company care so much about a driver like they did at Celadon. If you're a happy go lucky person with a positive attitude no matter what comes your way, then Celadon will be a great fit. If you're a lazy door swinger with a bad attitude and no matter how good of a day it is, you're still an a hole, go to Prime or Werner because they won't tolerate it here. Almost 3 years with the company, and that's my honest experience with them. I would go back but their percentage is a little too low for me as they dropped it from 75% to 67%.
Pros
Excellent atmosphere
Cons
Quality Leasing is terrible
Family Facility
Inventory / Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INMarch 24, 2017
One thing I can honestly say about Celadon that I wouldn't say for my other previous Employers, is this is the first company I have ever worked for that actually cares for you and your well being. They care about your family life and what happens. We are all family here! And I have never had that before with a company! It makes coming into work just that much more enjoyable! Even with our turnover rate through the roof it still is a great place to work. What I can say about our turnover rate is that the company does not pay enough to keep anyone! I LOVE what I do that is why I stay here even if it is little pay! I am a problem solver and LOVE working with each other to solve an issue! I have been doing Inventory for about 15 years. Whether it be from restaurant stock, to retail stock to distribution stock. STOCK is STOCK. INVENTORY IS INVENTORY. No matter what kind of facility you work in!
Pros
People, all holidays off and getting paid for it, lunch breaks, 15 mintue breaks, everyone is very understanding knows when emergencies happen, fun activities (bunch of new ideas coming into Celadon)
Cons
Pay, my drive in ( 1 hour drive), Insurance (just changed to different company beginning of year)
it was a decent place for a large company
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 20, 2017
It was a ok place to lease on with. The winter time was really allow but I was able to make it thru. I would probably still be there but I gotta find a local job for my kids.
Miles were good n beginning
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 18, 2017
When i started with the company miles were good as my pay my miles went up and miles went down.left company because to much sitting on weekends not at home.to many employee's for the amount of freight
Great work place
Tire Inspector (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 15, 2017
It's a good work environment with a lot of space. Some days it's a little unorganized. The lunch hours was great. I think they need more employees for the productivity they have flowing.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
No breaks
hot mess
staff (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 14, 2017
you work they will not pay treat you like dirt they will lie to hold on to their ranky danky job. if lying to hold on to that job i wonder how they could operate in an honest wotk place.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everythings
Good company to work for except everyone wasn't treated the same
Picker/Packer / Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 9, 2017
A typical day is waiting for picker to bring parts to be packed. Learned the whole process of the job. Management needs improvement. The hardest part of the job was looking for parts found in the wrong location. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with some good coworkers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Too much favoritism and wasn't fair to all employees
Great company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYMarch 9, 2017
Great company. I have no complaints. Truck driving just kept me away from family but other than that I loved working here. Great place to work and would recommend to anyone
were not a fun place to work
Company Driver - Solo - Local (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 8, 2017
i worked hard everyday got paid 18 dollars and hour straight time doing local work with no appreciation for the work that i did on a daily basses,with my dm.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Celadon Trucking. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7