Celanese Employee Reviews

A fun and stress free work environment
Fibers Operator (Current Employee) –  Narrows, VAFebruary 3, 2017
This company offers great benefits and union. The job I perform is easy and tedious and exciting! Employees are always looking for ways to better the process and make the job work better for everyone involved.
Benefits
Cons
Shortness in orders
Highly productive with valued oppurtunities
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Goodview, MNApril 17, 2016
You would enter a friendly-oriented environment where everyone knows each other. That would include management, operations, shipping and receiving. Each crew (A,B,C,D) has several coworkers which work together to produce material. All the coworkers look out for one another. The most enjoyable part of the job is you are making raw product that customers will use to make vehicles which means interested vehicle buyers will feel safe knowing their vehicle is safe and secure. Being able to move and adapt our product through not just vehicles but solely used everyday products we never think about. The hardest part of the job is the long hours but once you adapt, it will be a breeze.
Pros
great company, benefits
Cons
long hours, not a/c building
A great place to work employees stayed with this company until retirement.
Natural Finishing Unit Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Bishop, TXApril 26, 2016
Employees who started worked there until retirement. The company had room for advancement if you worked hard. Company had good benefits. Supervision was great and had excellent maintenance groups.
Pros
Work atmosphere was great
Cons
Company merger and managment changes.
Fun workplace with a lot of culture centered around family life
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 8, 2017
Safety oriented company that cares about its employees. Extracurricular activities that focus on bringing employees and families together. Good work life balance. Employees work well together in this laid back environment. Plenty of opportunity to shine.
Coworkers are great, but Safety culture is lacking
Operator (Current Employee) –  Clear Lake City, TXMarch 6, 2017
Will not go into any negative details. The plant owns a 9 hole golf course and pavilion, as well as a decent gym and all of these are available to employees, contractors, and their guests. Celanese does well to put on family oriented events fairly regularly and they are usually well attended and successful.
Pros
Coworker bonds are strong
Cons
Bonuses were taken away and Safety culture needs large improvement
Good work life balance.
Senior Sitecore Developer (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 14, 2017
Good work life balance. These guys are terrible. They are forcing you to write up more than 20 words for each of year ancient employers.
Great Benefits and flexible schedule
Pilot Plant Instrument OPS / commissioning (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TX 77507March 11, 2017
Culture depends on Board of Directors focus. Currently focus on maximum share holder value and ROI of at least 15%

Again, great severance packages for the salaried personnel. Focus on maintaining safety. So, go by the rules and SOP's and you will do fine.
Productive and fun working place
Hadoop Administrator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2016
I learned here how to get involve in the work without any boreing .

All the staff is very friendly which helps me to complete my work very efficiently and on time .

all senior management team is very friendly to resolve any issue .
Diffilcult to accomplish goals
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 2, 2016
Tough work environment.
Challenging to be productive.
Learned new ways to perform task.
Developed a good safety culture.
Good people to work around.
Pretty place to live.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
Hard to get goals accomplished
focused in high quality
EHS and Quality Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  MexicoDecember 14, 2016
Encourages collaboration with the team.Builds strong relationships with others. Empowers employees with the authority and resources to achieve results. Encourages employees to solve problems. Develops continuous improvement methods
Great company, great people, great job.
R&D Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 30, 2015
The atypical family atmosphere. Management is very proactive and approachable. As a member of the R&D team, every day presented a new challenge to accompany the everyday routine tasks. a typical day would start with firing up the line, letting everything get up to temp - sometimes very hot - usually a meeting of some sort during this time, or catching up on paperwork or other projects. Once the line was ready to go we would fire it up and conduct our trial/production run until we were satisfied - or defeated. Taking the line down was usually the last mission of the day which typically includes an extruder purge and disassembling and cleaning the die. Could be very hot and very stressful at times but never was I unhappy with my position.
Pros
Flexibility, Pay/Benefits, Management, Culture, Overall work environment
Cons
catered meals always came from the same place.
Good pay, but not family friendly. Work alot of hours
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYMay 18, 2016
Typical day- working in a hot environment on machines and packaging.
What I learned- alot about plastics and extruders/packaging.
Management- is one of the strangest I have ever worked with. Not very good at all. I am being honest even though I get along with management.
Coworkers- I get along with well..
Hardest part of the job-The heat in the summer is almost unbearable at times. Also the paperwork and lifting 55 pound bags for 12 hour shifts can be rough on the body.
Most enjoyable- making good product and doing a good job.
Pros
Good pay and anyone can get hired at Celanese if you interview well.
Cons
very hot in the summer, work alot of overtime, change shifts every 2 months nights/days 5pm-5am-5am/5pm
good place to work.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Bay City, TXSeptember 24, 2016
people are friendly and the bosses were good sometimes we were fed lunches and I never got rain outs.a good place to work a typical day at work was welding and sometimes getting to ride around the hardest part sometimes was some of the positions you had to get in to weld the enjoyable part was knowing you done a great job and taking pride in your work.
Productive and fun place to work.
Senior Occupational Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Narrows, VADecember 1, 2016
Good people who are focused on working safely. There is not an official mentoring or progression program for professionals.
Challenging, demanding company.
Polymer Unit Operator/Step-up Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bishop, TXMay 21, 2012
Interesting, challenging, sometimes stressful environment. Celanese was once a family oriented, fun, place to work. Through the most recent years, layoffs, restructures, and management changes have made it a stressful, very demanding, uncomfortable work environment. On a good note, safety in still the number one focus, but with much less people and bigger demand for production, the stress level has increased. Overall Celanese is a good company with decent benefits.
Pros
good pay. good benefits.
Cons
shiftwork, dangerous chemicals, high noise and stress level, poor management skills.
Could be a very good place to work but lacks in management support.
Core Lab Operator (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYJuly 8, 2014
There are two interdependent departments that are working on a joint task using two different sets of guidelines forcing the lower level employees to try merge the instructions and leading to conflict. Supervisor's in one of the departments move freely through the other department challenging the other department's employees and often threatening investigations and disciplinary action in spite of lacking formal authority to do so.
Pros
Paid lunch for any shift over 10 hours, good pay and benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment, sometimes asked to do ethically questionable things, sometimes given work tasks but not the resources or authority to complete them
Celanese is a nice place to work if the clique system in place is eliminated.
Customer Account Representative, CCSP (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2015
Celanese has the potential to be a leader in the chemical production and distribution industry; however the culture in corporate offices (Texas) shows some noticeable deficiencies. I did get to learn many things about SAP and the operation, logistic and inventory side of a global company. Management is very much a reactionary team and changes come often and many times without forward thinking or impact analysis on how one change can change the entire complexion of groups down the process line. Management too, appeared to be inconsistent in other areas, but I will not go into too great of a detail, as not to appear bitter. The co-workers are where the company can shine if the clique system is eradicated. Some of the best people in my business life continue to work there. They are a hard working lot for the most part, but enforcement of rules are sporadic because the line blurs between management and employee sometimes. The hardest part of the job is just the workload and the constant putting out of one fire after another. The best part of working for Celanese was some of the flexibility it allowed me and the benefits are not too bad.
Pros
Corporate Travel
Cons
Clique mentality, Limited Advancement Options
continuous process working
woking lead (Former Employee) –  filter towJanuary 23, 2013
My normal shift was always busy with alot of situations happening at the same time, so I quickly developed the ability to plate spin problems and to tackle the most important one's first. I was detailed to manage a five person operating team manufacturing filter tow over twelve hour shifts, this was a continuous 365 day a year process, we became a tight knit team working very well together, aiming to progress the process with regard to right first time and reducing waste. Sometimes the work load looked like it was becoming too much, but we always close ranks and pulled things around. The most enjoyable part was making improvements to the product quality and increasing first quality yield .
Pros
busy days, good salary
Cons
working plant break downs
very large company in the city I grew up in, so therefore I knew a lot of people that worked there
Mezzanine Operator (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCFebruary 22, 2013
a typical day could be good or bad depending on how the machine ran. The learning experience was that this process had to run 24/7 because it was so costly and time consuming to have a machine shutdown for whatever reason. The hardest part of this job was when I started we worked rotating shifts, and getting used to working all three shifts was not easy. Then we started working 12 hour shifts, which with anything had its good and bad. The most enjoyable part was working with people I'd known for a long time and good pay and benefits.
Pros
christmas dances, access to a recreation building, and basketball and softball games
Cons
rotating shifts and 12 hours
Professional environment, large company
AP Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 14, 2012
Supervised 11 AP accountants in a shared services environment. Helped department convert from SAP 4.6 to SAP 4.7, documented policies and procedures to strengthen internal controls as part of the SOX team, daily batch audits, prepared monthly metrics reports, assisted with research for 1099 reporting, approved time-cards for temporary employees, documented AP issues and resolutions, and presented new policies in town-hall style meetings. The hardest part of the job was finding the right contacts within the company to assist with problem resolutions. This is a very large company and some manager's areas of responsibility overlap each other so there might be 2 or more answers to the same question, or miscommunication as to who would answer and therefore no answer. The best part of the job was the team of AP accountants in the department. They were dedicated to doing good work and knew their jobs well.
Pros
good benefits, credit union on-site, parking garage
Cons
little scheduling flexibility, long waits for it issue resolutions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Celanese. Our community is ready to answer.