Cengage Learning

Cengage Learning Employee Reviews

Pay is horrible
Picking, packing, and quality control (Current Employee), Independence, KYMay 27, 2015
This used to be a good company to work for. You get punished for using sick days. Does not pay enough for how physical demanding the job is. Employees are under appreciated, told that all we do is put books in boxes.
Great learning experience
Document Control Specialist (Current Employee), Meriden, CTMay 27, 2015
Pros: Set schedule
Cons: Short lunch break
Great team over there, learned a lot about history, dealing with the product. What I enjoyed most, was getting the work out accuately to our vendors each week.
Fine place to work but an unstable industry
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), LocationMay 11, 2015
This company is a fine place to work offering its employees expensive but good benefits and a good stepping stone into the a small industry.
Circling the drain
Manager (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIMay 8, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in work schedule
Cons: Management is not in touch with the industry
Used to be a great company but has been in decline along with the traditional publishing industry for the past 6-8 years. Management doesn't seem to have a clue on how to turn things around and is out of touch with what's going on in the industry and the work their employees are doing.

Top heavy - too many senior executives. Constant layoffs with less and less people to do the actual work. A very stressful environment with a constantly changing strategic direction.

If you are looking for a secure, positive work environment look elsewhere.
Evolving educational publishing company into a software company
Executive Editor (Former Employee), Mason, OHApril 24, 2015
A good place to learn about technology and education markets. Serving the needs of students and teachers is the most enjoyable part of the job. Co-works are dedicated.
Great People, and a Great Purpose
Marketing (Current Employee), Farmington Hills, MIApril 20, 2015
While true with many companies, the work/life balance is second to none. All companies have their warts, but Cengage is one whose are often times greatly concealed by the altruistic nature of the business. It is a prideful place of employment.
corporate culture, but very good benefits and comfortable place to work
Acquisitions and Development Editor (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MIApril 11, 2015
Cons: company does not have a sense of direction
excellent opportunity for career growth; challenging work environment; lovely perks (picnics, parties, sports tickets etc...)
Cengage Learning
Senior Vocabulary Editor (Current Employee), Farmington Hills, MichiganApril 9, 2015
All of my colleagues work diligently throughout their day. However most of the time their diligent work goes unappreciated and unrewarded. The most difficult part of my job is finding ways to advance and to take on new and difficult work. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to work with some very talented people.
Building Digital Online Courses for Instructors at certain Institutions within the Higher Education Department
DIGITAL SOLUTIONS COORDINATOR/ PRODUCT MANAGEMENT (Current Employee), Independence, KYMarch 18, 2015
Pros: benefits, working with customers directly, great atmosphere, and management
Cons: wages
 Communicate with customers to help facilitate account and course set up.
 Communicate with dedicated Sales Reps daily/weekly to ensure customer needs are met and deadlines are hit.
 Work closely with IT’s to develop account-level customer care strategies for larger adoptions.
 Coordinate with IT’s to ensure customers are trained on their digital solutions.
 Serve as the primary contact for customers: field customer inquiries, help diagnose the root cause of their problem, and assist them in navigating the CL organization/resources to achieve their desired outcome.
 Help sales team drive revenue by developing and maintaining excellent relationships with customers within an assigned geographic territory.
 Drive high levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty.
 Take an active role in departmental success by being a positive productive team member.
 Ensure effective use of internal key sales tools including Magellan and Data Warehouse to increase opportunity potential.
 Monitor and meet daily metrics and deadlines.
 Partner with DSC Manager by providing updates on current business trends
Great work/life balance
HR Coordinator (Contract) (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 11, 2015
Management is great and very understanding, 37.5 hour work week which is nice. Co-workers are very friendly. Great company location. Benefits are competitive.
Fun work environment with great benefits and 401k
Industrial Operator (Current Employee), Independence, KYFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: tuition reimbursment
Cons: i live far about 45 minutes away
I'm certified to drive all the equipment in the warehouse. My management and co-workers are all awesome. The hardest part about my job is I'm the only woman in my department and some of the work requires me to lift up to 80lbs which I'm able to do at time. The most enjoyable are our parties and picnics and bonus pay every 90 days.
Better have a degree
Quality Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Independence, KYJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: extras outside of wage
Cons: no room for advancement w/o 4 year degree
No room for advancement in the company (from customer service) without a 4-year degree. Previous experience means nothing.

Benefits are great, although expensive.

PTO is the best I have seen.
Interesting environment for growth and learning
Senior Project Leader (Consultant) (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day includes daily stand ups, analysis, planning, identification of risks and the prioritization of efforts.

I have learned to work with challenges and revere them as opportunities for growth and success.

Management holds a sincere desire for a transformation from being simply a publishing company into an educational software development IT organization.

My co-workers were very enjoyable and malleable to new processes and procedures for growth.

The hardest part of the job was understanding the environment and the architectural/third party integration points.

The most enjoyable part of the job was building the strong professional relationships and delivering a very useful and innovative educational tool.
Good Company
Student Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee), MasonJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great people and respectable products
Cons: constant change of direction
The culture was creative, fun and productive until recently when stress levels began to rise due to extensive reorganization and redirection. Many good employees were let go and teams minimized. Still the remaining employees always gave 110%.
The best part of my job was solving problems and providing the best product for my clients.
Excelent work place with great view
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2014
Pros: free coffee every day
At Cengage Learning I worked directly with the Marketing team creating online surveys and analyzing data from the previous year. Cengage had created online surveys for college professors to fill out in order to see how they felt about their product. I took the first years surveys and upgraded the graphics as well as structure to be more user friendly.

After completing all of the online surveys I then analyzed all of the previous years results. I took each individual survey's results and regressed the number of professors bought the products as apposed to ones that did not. I then took all of this – more... data and composed individual graphs and reports and presented them to the marketing team.

My co workers and management were the best group of people I have ever worked with. They were always willing to help and go the extra mile to make sure I had everything I needed. They let me work at my own pace and set basic guidelines of when they needed projects to be completed.

The hardest part of my job was having to learn new tasks on a daily basis, such as creating online surveys and graphic designs for them. However, this turned out to be one of the most enjoyable part of this job as well, since I learned so much from completing new tasks and learning a new trait. I would recommend working here for anyone interested. – less
Cengage Learning/Delmar Publishing
Copy Editor (Former Employee), Executive Woods 5 Maxwell Dr. Clifton Park, NYDecember 21, 2014
Pros: able to work from home, no pressure
Cons: there really weren't any
My work was done at home. I edited and made suggestions for a new Pharmacology Textbook that was to be used in Certified Medical Assistant Programs. Was a contract job. Never had to go to any office.
Great place to work, mostly
Product Manager (Current Employee), Clifton Park, NYDecember 15, 2014
Pros: stimulating and challenging work, somewhat creative, flexible work hours
Cons: work/life balance, working on vacation, budgetary constraints, sales-heavy
This company has changed quite a lot in the 10 years I've been there. Over the last couple of years, the work/life balance has shifted more towards the expectation that you will work even when on vacation, and that is no longer ok with me. The work is challenging, stimulating, and all consuming. The people are mostly smart and great to work with. Working blind without knowing key parameters like overall budgetary constraints and then having to cancel or push out product lines is very tedious and soul-killing. Also the job is becoming too sales-heavy when you consider everything else the Product Manager is responsible for.
Great People
Receptionist (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 8, 2014
I've learned so much from Cengage. The best part about working here is the people. My co-workers are great, very nice, and very welcoming. The only downside is that there isn't much opportunity to advance. I've learned all I can in my particular position and need more of a challenge.
The office itself is close to the seaport district. New and interesting places to eat open frequently, which is nice because the cafeteria only offers typical vending machine snacks, and microwaves for those who bring their own food.
Talented and committed staff
Rights Acquisitions Specialist (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MINovember 21, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: there is still some uncertainty among the rank-and-file regarding job security
Cengage Learning emerged from bankruptcy in 2014 and it will be interesting to see how the company reinvents itself as a leading digital publisher.
As a freelancer for Cengage
Freelance Spanish Translator & Graphic Designer (Former Employee), work form homeNovember 17, 2014
I have had a very good experience and met interesting people. But during their bankruptcy and restructuring, The climate has changed some. It is harder to get projects and people i was use to working with have either been reassigned or have left the company.

1 2 3 4 5

About Cengage Learning

Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, technology, and services company for the higher education and K-12, professional – Read more

Cengage Learning Salaries