Cengage Learning Employee Reviews

Great People and Culture
User Experience Designer (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIApril 13, 2017
Cengage is made up of a lot of highly educated and talented people.

The fact that the company can't always capitalize on that get's extremely frustrating over time.
Toxic environment
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2017
Cengage has struggled in recent years to keep pace with industry changes. This issue faces all higher ed publishers, but Cengage lacks a driving force and changes plans frequently enough to not allow meaningful change.
Pros
immediate colleagues are great
Cons
toxic management
It's ok
Admissions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Temecula, CAApril 3, 2017
The culture is Ok...it's fun, but there is now real leadership development here. The leadership also fails to bring the most out of employees and doesn't take the time to know them. Cengage does not take advantage of employee talents. They will allow an employee to go away and feel unappreciated and under utilized.
Decent college student job
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Erlanger, KYMarch 26, 2017
Decent job for the college student looking to work over summer break and winter break. You can choose which shift suits your lifestyle. Some problems with management not doing their share of the workload. Extreme temperatures in the hot summers.
Pros
$10.00 for college student
Cons
Heat in summer
Workday
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 13, 2017
My day would start at 7:30 where I would have coffee and go over the plans/itinerary I had for today.

I would then go over any emails I have from the previous days that were not completed.

I always had a plan for who I had to see at the account and my objectives for the call. I always had a reason to call as that is respecting the buyer's time.

I learned a great deal from Cengage. I have been involved in numerous sales and closing seminars.

Cengage had an open culture where you new ideas were welcomed.

The hardest part of the job was finding ways to reach the customer needs when that customer had been using a competitor's product.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved with customers and with my Cengage team.
Pros
I enjoyed the challenging of winning.
Cons
I did a lot of traveling and often in hotels. However, I enjoyed most of the travel so hard to find a CON for the position.
Great Flexibility, Low Pay
Higher Education Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYMarch 10, 2017
Changing industry, especially seen within sales. Where it used to be a given that you would get an annual bonus, now it is an anomaly. They will tell you different in your interview.
Good work/life balance
Learning Consultant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 9, 2017
Cengage is a company that will help provide you with the tools needed to make a sale. However, certain territories (Northeast) tend to have a harder time meeting goals.
worked as as needed basis
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Temecula, CAMarch 9, 2017
I really have no comment. Communication fair. At times, supervisors do not respond to email -- maybe for contractors. Still hoping to get contract work for Cengage.
Editor
Editor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 5, 2017
I have had the pleasure of working with highly qualified professionals over the years and am grateful for the many opportunities the organization has provided. I have seen, however, a major shift in the focus of the company. The bottom line has become more important than the high quality and accuracy for which the company's products were once known. Moving from print to online publication is a challenge; however, the tools and processes the company has chosen have not been the best.
Productive and Enjoyable place to work
Intellectual Property, Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 8, 2017
Cengage Learning was truly an enjoyable place to work in the heart of South Boston. The management I worked under was superb and the office was extremely accommodating. It's obvious the organization is pushing to be more of a tech company, but has a ways to go. I was able to learn a lot during my internship and would recommend Cengage to my colleagues.
Pros
Great Management, Great Location, Honest and Kind employees
Cons
Moderate pay, under utilized
Proficient in issues identification and reporting
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 31, 2017
Worked with Users and Business Analysts to define and design test scenarios and test data.Performed front end, back end, GUI, Functionality, Security testing on the application.Tested the integration with other Social media tools
Great way to enter the industry
Publishing and Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 30, 2017
Cengage is behind in the race for adaptable and innovative higher ed digital resources and because of that, a lot of the competition is already deeply entrenched in the market. Because their higher ed digital strategy keeps changing, it trickles down to restructuring the field force more than any other major higher ed publisher.
Cool Company but too many cooks in the kitchen
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 29, 2017
Great products, good direction, but the talent acquisition division is messy, unstructured and too many cooks in the kitchen. No process, compliance or emphasize on legal guidelines. Worked with wonderful individuals but too much complaining about other divisions in HR and even negative talk about peers. Outside the Talent Acquisition, it seemed pleasant but within the technical space there is no order and fear was it would come back to haunt.
Pros
Coffee, perks, office location and people
Cons
Negative attitudes and disrespect for peers
Company in transition...
Executive Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2017
Company currently in transition from traditional publisher to a more streamlined digital content delivery provider. Very intelligent and creative co-workers.
Pros
Quality employees and quality product.
Cons
Industry in transition...
Cengage
MARKETING COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2017
Good company to work for if you’re on the product or content side. Great office, a lot of great people as well. Awesome work life balance, you will not be micromanaged here. The only negative to working for Cengage would be the compensation. They do not pay to adhere to cost of living in San Francisco. If you’re going to work for this company, I recommend working in one of the East Coast offices.
Overall good place, but somewhat unstable
Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 13, 2017
The work is extremely rewarding and the people are wonderful, but the leadership team and management changes so frequently it creates a sense of instability. Work load is often much greater than you're compensated for, but it truly depends on what group you are working with. Overall, Cengage is a good company to work for.
nice place to learn and work
Informatica Lead (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHJanuary 11, 2017
DW environment is combination of steady state tickets and enhancements to the existing system.

we will debug the issues and collaborate with reporting team to understand the business need and act accordingly.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
short term opportunities
Balancing time to advance projects and trying to advance in the coporate struture.
Senior Technical Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Independence KyJanuary 4, 2017
Not alot of communication between higher management and middle management. Projects are often frivolous with no real end game in sight. Very unorganized.
great place to work
Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 21, 2016
Good place to learn new things. It was a project where I worked remotely. So, I don't have a lot to tell about the environment.
Re-assessing its place in the challenging and battered higher ed publishing and content sector
Curriculum and Program Development Team (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 15, 2016
Higher ed publishing and content delivery has been squeezed by many external economic factors for at least 20 years. Cengage Learning is perhaps better positioned for good things to come because of recent financial and management reorgs, but the risk for all businesses in this sector is that less revenue for the sector means each business must find great niches in which to operate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cengage Learning. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval