Cengage Learning

Cengage Learning Employer Reviews

Better have a degree
Quality Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Independence, KYJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: extras outside of wage
Cons: no room for advancement w/o 4 year degree
No room for advancement in the company (from customer service) without a 4-year degree. Previous experience means nothing.

Benefits are great, although expensive.

PTO is the best I have seen.
Interesting environment for growth and learning
Senior Project Leader (Consultant) (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day includes daily stand ups, analysis, planning, identification of risks and the prioritization of efforts.

I have learned to work with challenges and revere them as opportunities for growth and success.

Management holds a sincere desire for a transformation from being simply a publishing company into an educational software development IT organization.

My co-workers were very enjoyable and malleable to new processes and procedures for growth.

The hardest part of the job was understanding the environment and the architectural/third party integration points.

The most enjoyable part of the job was building the strong professional relationships and delivering a very useful and innovative educational tool.
Good Company
Student Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee), MasonJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great people and respectable products
Cons: constant change of direction
The culture was creative, fun and productive until recently when stress levels began to rise due to extensive reorganization and redirection. Many good employees were let go and teams minimized. Still the remaining employees always gave 110%.
The best part of my job was solving problems and providing the best product for my clients.
Excelent work place with great view
Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2014
Pros: free coffee every day
At Cengage Learning I worked directly with the Marketing team creating online surveys and analyzing data from the previous year. Cengage had created online surveys for college professors to fill out in order to see how they felt about their product. I took the first years surveys and upgraded the graphics as well as structure to be more user friendly.

After completing all of the online surveys I then analyzed all of the previous years results. I took each individual survey's results and regressed the number of professors bought the products as apposed to ones that did not. I then took all of this data and composed individual graphs and reports and presented them to the marketing team.

My co workers and management were the best group of people I have ever worked with. They were always willing to help and go the extra mile to make sure I had everything I needed. They let me work at my own pace and set basic guidelines of when they needed projects to be completed.

The hardest part of my job was having to learn new tasks on a daily basis, such as creating online surveys and graphic designs for them. However, this turned out to be one of the most enjoyable part of this job as well, since I learned so much from completing new tasks and learning a new trait. I would recommend working here for anyone interested.
Cengage Learning/Delmar Publishing
Copy Editor (Former Employee), Executive Woods 5 Maxwell Dr. Clifton Park, NYDecember 21, 2014
Pros: able to work from home, no pressure
Cons: there really weren't any
My work was done at home. I edited and made suggestions for a new Pharmacology Textbook that was to be used in Certified Medical Assistant Programs. Was a contract job. Never had to go to any office.
Great place to work, mostly
Product Manager (Current Employee), Clifton Park, NYDecember 15, 2014
Pros: stimulating and challenging work, somewhat creative, flexible work hours
Cons: work/life balance, working on vacation, budgetary constraints, sales-heavy
This company has changed quite a lot in the 10 years I've been there. Over the last couple of years, the work/life balance has shifted more towards the expectation that you will work even when on vacation, and that is no longer ok with me. The work is challenging, stimulating, and all consuming. The people are mostly smart and great to work with. Working blind without knowing key parameters like overall budgetary constraints and then having to cancel or push out product lines is very tedious and soul-killing. Also the job is becoming too sales-heavy when you consider everything else the Product Manager is responsible for.
Great People
Receptionist (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 8, 2014
I've learned so much from Cengage. The best part about working here is the people. My co-workers are great, very nice, and very welcoming. The only downside is that there isn't much opportunity to advance. I've learned all I can in my particular position and need more of a challenge.
The office itself is close to the seaport district. New and interesting places to eat open frequently, which is nice because the cafeteria only offers typical vending machine snacks, and microwaves for those who bring their own food.
Talented and committed staff
Rights Acquisitions Specialist (Former Employee), Farmington Hills, MINovember 21, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: there is still some uncertainty among the rank-and-file regarding job security
Cengage Learning emerged from bankruptcy in 2014 and it will be interesting to see how the company reinvents itself as a leading digital publisher.
As a freelancer for Cengage
Freelance Spanish Translator & Graphic Designer (Former Employee), work form homeNovember 17, 2014
I have had a very good experience and met interesting people. But during their bankruptcy and restructuring, The climate has changed some. It is harder to get projects and people i was use to working with have either been reassigned or have left the company.
Nice building clean and safe place to work.
Manager (Former Employee), Independence, KYOctober 27, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cengage was a good place to work with the world going digital the distribution side was struggling. Not to many people buy books anymore. My typical day usually started a little bit earlier than everyone else because I had to line up what needed to be done every day. Working at Cengage so long I have a lot of good friends there so it made it very easy to get thing done.
Good Place to Work
Career Advisor (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TexasOctober 22, 2014
Good place to work! Friendly people and good atmosphere. There were no cons to working there.
Good employer - very fair in dealing with employees.
K-12 Education Consultant, Gale Library Division (Former Employee), Denver, COOctober 21, 2014
Pros: manage territory like my own small business.
Cons: work/life balance off - worked avg. 70 hours a week.
K-12 field sales account manager. Called on K-12 district administrators, and campus level librarians and principals.Territory included school districts in CO, KS, and MO. I learned a lot about digital/web-based resources. Positioning resources for library use as well as use outside the library as supplemental curriculum. I love working with educators!
Productive and fun workplace
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Mason, OHOctober 21, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: sometimes long hours
Hard work but great employees. Team working environment. You are your own boss once you know the parameters of your job.
Great sales team
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: great sales team!
Cons: during sales season travel is 100%
My position is home based but I manage everything West of the Mississippi River including the boarder states of Louisiana and Minnesota as well as Canada. During the peak sales seasons I travel 100%. During the slower seasons I travel 75% to 50%.

I believe in modifying behavior thru positive reinforcement. Coaching and motivating a sales team is essential to success! I have an unlimited amount enthusiasm, motivation, and dedication to bring to your sales teams. My core management principles are: building strong cohesive teams by first understanding the uniqueness of each team member and then building a common core bond, coaching sales representatives to success thru empowerment, proactively anticipating customers’ needs to exceed their expectations, and focusing on long-term relationships/outcomes.

The most challenging part of this position is the at the account manager territories are very large. The rewarding part of the job is coaching them on methods/techniques to multiply themselves to reach more customers.
Unsure of direction
Courseware Developer (Current Employee), Clifton Park, New YorkAugust 15, 2014
The company is both good and bad. It seems as if they can't stick with a direction long enough to see it fail or succeed. Prior ownership spent money to make money, but the new culture is just the opposite.
Loved Cengage
Instructor Companion Site Support Representative (Former Employee), Clifton Park, NYJuly 15, 2014
Cengage offered many benefits and support from team members and management.
Great place and company to work
Credit & Collections (Former Employee), Meriden, CTJune 10, 2014
Pros: benefits very good and big corporation
Cons: travel every day was over 25 miles one way
Worked at this company for 24 years. Handled accounts receivable, accounts payable, customer service, purchasing, subscription database. Great co-workers. Enjoyed working there.
Great company, great management
Customer Technical Support (Current Employee), Florence, KYMay 7, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, great management, treated like family
Cons: sometimes the hours are shortened due to work load when school is not in session
This company is such a joy to work for. Its definitely going to be hard to leave. Management treats the employees like family, and not like numbers. There are always opportunities for training and learning, and no day is ever the same. I've never worked somewhere where teamwork was so evident. Even people in other groups are always more than willing to help when needed. Its going to be hard to leave, but I need to get back to my family.
Still going through the pain of new management and organization
Editorial Executive (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 24, 2014
Pros: it has such enormous potential
Cons: it has become a white-man's company
Cengage was one of those publishing companies that misunderstood the digital changes that were happening in their ultimate market. As a result drastic changes were necessary and they were carried out in a brutishly efficient manner. These changes were necessary to save the company. Unfortunately after these changes Cengage has become a middle-aged white man's company that is being managed through intimidation and bullying. Regardless, the company still has enormous potential. Give it a year or two to get back on its feet and I would recommend Cengage to anyone - but not now. If you are not a white male - or at least act like one, this company is not for you.
The manuscripts were sent to my home for review.
Copy Editor (Former Employee), job location was my home.April 23, 2014
Pros: only pro was getting to do it at home
Cons: no cons
These manuscripts were typical of the type used to create Pharmacological textbooks for students taking the Certified Medical Assistant Program.

I normally would due most of the work during the day while my children were in school. I had no co-workers to deal with or phones ringing off the hook.

When I was done with the manuscript, I would send it back to the company with my corrections.

I'm sorry to say that it wasn't a really exciting type of job; not like copy editor for mystery novels.

But it was nice to see my name on the book jacket of the finished product. It was a good experience, and something I had never done before.

1 2 3 4

About Cengage Learning

Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, technology, and services company for the higher education and K-12, professional – Read more