Cengage Learning Employee Reviews in United States

Engagement Specialist - Field Sales Leadership Position
Engagement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 19, 2016
Lead a team of ten sales representatives to successfully sell in the higher education market. Responsibilities include training, sales presentations, technology demonstrations, and assist with sales team development within the team. Other responsibilities include business development and promoting institutional sales models at higher education institutions by meeting with professors, deans & administrators.

Create and market events within the IL district for college level faculty and administrators. Events are strategically planned and executed by the Engagement Specialist in order to help drive revenue.
Pros
Remote Location
Cons
Changing market
The ability to do my job working remotely
Mason Ohio (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHMay 16, 2016
Cengage Learning offered me the ability to work remotely and perform my job without being micro managed daily. I loved working for them in my contract roll.
Pros
Freedom and great people to work with during my employment
Cons
Unfortunately they declared Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
Decent but becomes a bit much after a while.
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Independence, KYMay 13, 2016
Each day my coworkers and I would be led in stretches and then to our stations, which in my case was to operate a shrink wrap machine with one other person and/or scan boxes and apply stickers appropriately. After that we would have to fulfill specific work orders- preparing packages of books ourselves, shrink wrapping them, and then boxing them up to ship. Management was pretty good. The worst part would be the combination of the work itself with the hours worked. "Mandatory overtime" became commonplace. Ten hour days, 5-6 days a week of just the activities described above. That would have to be the hardest part. I worked with a lot of good friends from high school over the summer. Spending time with them was the best part of the job.
Pros
Many hours, regular schedule
Cons
Long work days, short breaks
Productive and innovative place
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 26, 2016
Great place to work to make a difference in education industry. Exciting new products are being build here. Great place for both long and short term
relaxed atmosphere and good org culture
Digital Publications Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIApril 25, 2016
Cengage Learning is a good place to work for innovators. It's a casual environment where teamwork is valued. The challenge is to stand out during tough economic times, poor sales or re-structuring.
Pros
working from home, no dress code, no mandatory OT
Cons
employee retention is not a priority, frequent layoffs
Engage Learning
Manager Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 11, 2016
Good environment, fast paced, technically challenging, remote management, which provided some challenges for communication and direction.
Pros
Good location, Boston
Cons
Lack of direction.
High-paced & flexible
East Texas Learning Consultant (Outside Sales) (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 7, 2016
You are the CEO of your own territory. As an outside Learning Consultant, you work from home and on college campuses year around. Using the company car provided, a typical day starts with driving to one of my college campuses and spend the day meeting with Professors about their course materials. Acting as a true consultant, I work to find the solution that answers their needs for their course and engaging their students inside the classroom. Everyone in the company is high energy and eager to help you secure adoptions and hit your sales goal. As a company, however, their biggest goal is not just about reaching a sales goal, but changing the face of Higher Education and engaging students more than ever.
Pros
Company car, flexible hours during off-season, great initiatives
Cons
Long hours during sales season
Good benefits- poor management
Marketing and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Independence, KYMarch 16, 2016
Good work life balance- poor management. Compensation is very low, no room for advancement and also toxic work culture.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
short breaks- everything you do is supervised
Hard work, no micro managers
SVP Finance (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 16, 2016
Enjoyed working there. The people and culture are terrific. I was part of a cost restructuring and understand the hard decisions management has to make.

Great people in an industry that is changing rapidly.
Pros
no micro managers
Cons
lots of work and long hours
Used to be great
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHFebruary 18, 2016
I worked for Cengage for 20 years until they decided to outsource the Technology Support division. 70+ people were replaced. I had a great experience for the majority of the time I was there. but in the last 3 years, I've seen Cengage going down.
Helping a company resolve issues to move forward in the future with their sales of online materials for students
Campus Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 10, 2016
Being the liaison for Cengage Learning gave me the opportunity to see hands on what it is like for a company to implement a new process and coordinate issues between the students and the tech department so that the following semester a guide could be created.
enjoyable place to work
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Responsible for day to day operations maintaining over 2000 computer systems in a large data center. Also performed help desk duties during off hours. Also performed customer support for internal and external customers.
A clutural blend of workers and strong desire to make a differecne.
System Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 31, 2016
I was at the company for 20 years. Unfortunately they moved technical services to India. There are many different systems spread across the world supporting culture that is diverse and interesting.
Pros
Many different types of events with good work life balances
Cons
Lack of direction amid radical change in industry
Content Development Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2016
Hardest part of job was knowing what was expected of you.
Most enjoyable aspect was the people, but most were eventually laid off.
Good
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHJanuary 13, 2016
Cengage is a company in transition and overall a good company to work for. Cengage is in the middle of outsourcing all their Information Tecchnology.
Cengage Learning
Academic Consultant/Web Specialist/Sales Presenter (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CADecember 31, 2015
Cengage Learning bought Thomson Education.
I had worked for Thomson Ed. for 7 years before the buyout.
From what I could tell it was a great company and a relatively painless take over.
Pros
Great management, great tech support
Cons
required full time employees to live in San Fran area
Challenging work place
Sr BI Developer (Current Employee) –  Mason, OHDecember 10, 2015
Good place to work with the ability to give your opinion and have challenging work to do. I have been here in various positions for over the last 25 years. After this amount of time the powers that be have decided I am technical debt and I am being outsourced
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
being outsourced
Very busy place
Senior Financial Planning analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 18, 2015
Need very advance excel knowledge, very interesting Industry, very good Management and located close South station, they are expanding in towards to become a public company, new CEO and mostly all new Management
Depressing
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousNovember 10, 2015
A typical day at work involved pushing projects through the pipeline. A real heads-down, hunker down kind've place. My day was colored by unnecessary busywork characterized by redundant, often confusing processes.

This is not the company it was years ago. Very PC, very corporate now. Training was also abysmal, probably because the work flow was constantly tweaked and changed. As another poster mentioned, IF you are fortunate enough to have friends in high places, you will be fine.

The greatest benefit to working here would be work-life balance, as most employees don't work more than 40 hours per week. Depending on your department, you also have flex time and could work from home.

There are definitely better places to work.
Pros
Work life balance, pay check.
Cons
Everything else.
Job Security over the last few years was upsetting
Computer Systems Operator (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MINovember 4, 2015
Managed my own projects; created many of my own projects and job tasks over the last 5 or 6 yrs without mangement supervision.
Pros
schedule was ideal.
Cons
working every Sunday and every Holiday for the last 20 years was burdensome.