CENIKOR FOUNDATION

CENIKOR FOUNDATION Employee Reviews in United States

Interesting treatment program for alcohol and drugs.
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TXJanuary 6, 2016
This program was developed in a correctional facility. As someone who has never experience this culture, I was in shock. This was not a good fit for me.
I enjoyed the challenge of working with these clients. They were very respectful and cooperative.
Management were former graduates of the program and were very knowledgeable about the program philosophy. This program does have some success.
There was a lot of preferential treatment. One client was given the run of the place and acted inappropriately toward female clients. He was always believed by management. It eventually came out that he had acted inappropriately with at least one female client.
There were other problems with other clients but not as serious as this one.
Pros
Nice Office
Cons
Negative atmosphere
Excellent place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake CharlesMay 15, 2013
Cenikor makes an investment in its employees both professionally and personally. I have been given every opportunity to succeed and pushed to strive for excellence. The Benefits package is great, tuition reimbursement, Tier Development and Mentor program, bonus, yearly raise based on performance and a great team ready and willing to help. Its a large foundation committed to its employees and the clients they serve. The management team at corporate is approachable, involved, and readily available to meet the needs of all staff. Lake Charles Facility has a great working environment, great management and support staff and has passion for the work they do and compassion for those they serve.
Pros
great culture, benefits, advancement and educational opportunities
Cons
n/a
So far great company and program IMO!
Rather not say. (Current Employee) –  Waco, TxJanuary 10, 2013
I've worked at the Waco inpatient facility for about 6 mos now. It just opened up in July 2012. Things were a little disorganized in the beginning and the rules seemed to change every day but that is to be expected with a new faciltiy. Now things have settled down and it's a very positive atmosphere to work in. Management is not perfect but strives to work with everyone concerned in a fair manner. They truly want to help the clients in a firm, fair manner. The pay is not exceptional but is fair and the benefits are about average as far as cost, co-pay, etc.
Pros
low cost $1.00 lunch, positive atmosphere, helping people, nice building to work in, co-workers. management does not tolerate employees mistreating clients.
Cons
short term program, hr very picky about time, some techs are not happy with their pay.
Productive and most definitely the greatest place I have ever worked.
Admission Manager (Current Employee) –  Deer ParkMay 31, 2012
Not only has this company given me the greatest benifits but it has allowed me to meet and work with some of the most passionate people in this business. I have learned how to let go of myself and give the greatest gift to people that need the most love and attention that is needed to over come all types of barriers. The management team is awesome and very accomodating to assist in success of each other. My co-workers are the best even when time gets tough and hard we strive to help each other to meet our goals. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the leader of our facility knowing that he will assist me in all I need to complete and be a success at what I do.
Pros
mileage reimbursments
Cons
n/a
Mangement is Awesome
Program Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
The people that are in place for various positions I believe were hand picked by God because they really do their position well. If the pay were to increase I would not be wanting to seek out other employment.
blind leading blind
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Aquilla, TXJune 5, 2013
Limited knowledge among "management" and "skilled professionals". Due to biased practices, very limited room for advancement. Despite better candidates to lead, authority was mediated by salary and not quality care founded on expertise. Often a lot more questions than answers among "knowledged staff". Patient interests and levels of care superceeded by the almighty dollar and which below average rookie would work the most for the least to leave paying clients broke, decieved, and no better off.
Pros
social services networking
Cons
incompetence, lack of safety
I wouldn't work here again if I was offered a LARGE SUM of money
counselor (Former Employee) –  lake charles, laOctober 29, 2012
When I was first hired with this company I was extremely eager and I knew that it was a great company. I still feel that it is a great company, however, I feel that the Lake Charles facility was ran poorly by individuals who did NOT actually care about the needs of the clients. The work environment was horrible due to EXCESSIVE workplace gossip. Clinical managaer abused the position to try to bully others and facility administrator did not care anything about her staff or the clients. I have watched counselors work hard for certain clients while others are not considered important. This job was constant turmoil and drama. I wished that the corporate office in Houston, TX would have intervened and really investigated the things that actually took place in that building. If you want peace of mind, a place where you actually want to make a difference, please pass Cenikor/LAKE CHARLES up. I am in no way bashing the entire company, however, Lake Charles location is not the place!!!!!!!!!
benefits
Only work here as a last resort
Counselor (Former Employee) –  HoustonMarch 3, 2012
If you do not have any place else to go, this would be a good choice. You should only work here as a last resort. Management is horrible. Turn over rate is astronomical; the average length of stay is 3 months, and you spend more time doing paperwork than helping the clients. They are not very reputable in the community. On the flip side, you will learn a lot IF you can handle change on a day to day, sometime minute to minute, basis.
Pros
good dental and medical benefits, gain lot of experience
Cons
underappreciated, poor management, no 401k until you have been there for a year, sick leave not separate from personal leave, very unorganized
Mission-driven non-profit organization, strong dedication to clients required, great benefits and professional culture!
HR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2012
This is one of the best non-profits I've had the opportunity to work for in my career. The employees are dedicated and have a strong mission of service for our clients as well as a high level of professionalism and work ethic. The organization has longevity with 45 years of service to those in need of substance abuse treatment, and management has been able to grow this organization and continue to add staff at a time when most companies are down-sizing. Benefits are outstanding, and there is a commitment to training and developing of staff, including an internal leadership development program, external training opportunities paid by the Foundation and a tuition reimbursement program. Work ethic and focus on goals is expected. If you want a job with a purpose and like to see the results of your work, this might be the place for you!
Pros
mission - being able to work to serve others, outstanding medical and other benefits, generous 401k, annual gainsharing and manager bonus potential, tuition reimbursement
Cons
24/7 facilities so staff rotate working holidays, salary in non-profits not as high as for-profits
It's not for everybody but I love working for Cenikor
Manager (Current Employee) –  HoustonMay 31, 2012
Cenikor has a culture like no other company, for or non-profit, I've ever worked for. I'm dedicated to the mission of helping people change and move away from substance dependence and criminal behaviors toward productive, healthy and happy lives. I work with a great group of hard working dedicated individuals who I truly enjoy, as co-workers and friends.
Cenikor promotes personal and professional growth and development and truly buys into the idea that great leaders help others become great leaders.
Cenikor expects a lot of their staff and sometimes it seems a bit unreasonable. Salaried people are expected to work long hours and to even give specific hours outside normal working hours with no additional pay and no comp. time. This is tough to swallow when it's my turn to "give away my time for free" but becomes a little more palatable when I look at the opportunities I believe I have here. Cenikor makes managers out of non-managers and executives out of managers.
I plan to retire from Cenikor and I plan to find myself in an executive role when that happens and Cenikor supports those types of goals.
Pros
fabulous benefits, staff development, supportive in terms of professional goals
Cons
long hours at times, unreasonable demands on personal time.
Run the other way.
Clinical (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Terrible management. No training. Bad hours of work. Low pay. Cult like atmosphere. Work camp. Care more about the bottom dollar then the clients. It's horrible. If you are considering it, don't waste your time.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Rewarding place to work
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 30, 2014
Working as a substance abuse counselor can sometimes be very stressful, however, it's also very rewarding, I love working with the public and helping others. My co-workers and I work as a team, effective communication is the key. The hardest part of my job is watching a client leave the program before their time and return to their old way of living. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching families come together again.
Pros
helping others
Cons
health insurance benefits
Professional atmosphere
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2012
With 45 years of experience, Cenikor knows what it is doing. The ability to bounce ideas off of other professionals who come from a wide-range of backgrounds is amazing. Everyone has a voice and their opinion matters. This is a great place to work with great benefits. The goal is to continue strengthening the foundation set before us.
Pros
great training and advancement
A well ran, professionally managed company.
clinical supervisor (Current Employee) –  DaytonMay 30, 2012
Great benefits, wonderful opprotunities, caring management. If you really want to help the clients and learn along the way this is the place. Working in the prison was totally new for me and I have learned so much. A different challenge everyday.
Pros
i have learned to be more flexible and to multitask better.
Cons
not knowing how the clients are doing after treatment.
Great place to work if you have no ethics and no life.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 16, 2015
No flex time, no holiday time, expected to work hours beyond what you are paid, behavior of upper management is the antithesis.of their stated "core values." SOLE mission of this alleged non-profit is to pad the pockets of the "Corporate" employees.
Pros
Cons
Pay is below market, shortcuts are taken at every opportunity, patients are viewed as subhuman, yet felons are routinely hired, even at the corporate level.
Awesome recovery experience with people who care about people.
Program Manager II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TexasMay 30, 2012
Cenikor Foundation is one of the best organization I have seen that offer long-term treatment services for substance dependence and behavior modification. The Foundation has been around for 45 years changing the lives of men and women while creating a new life for their family as well. As a Cenikor Graduate my testimony began at the doors of Cenikor and now I am part of keeping these doors open for those men and women that are seeking change in thier lives. The Leadership Team here is secure about developing employees that believe in the mission and carry that mission daily while discharging your job responsibilities. Four years ago I was homeless, hopeless, unhappy and unmotivated for change. Today I am successful, clean and sober, responsible, motivated, attending college, health insurance, life insurance, dental, etc. The best part of my job is that they can't pay me enough to do what I love and that's hepling people everyday in everyway and Cenikor provides that opportunity.
Pros
great benefits, great co-workers, true commitment for both client/staff, gain sharing, top rated training, management training, personal relationships, honest people.
Cons
if you are just looking for a job, you can find those anywhere. if you want a career then seek employment with cenikor foundation.
Great organization that helps employees grow
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LaJune 19, 2012
Professional company that cares about staff and clients. Upper management is always willing to assist. In order to be sucessful at Cenikor, you must be willing and able to work hard to complete the mission.
Pros
401k program, tution reimbursement, and pto
Cons
no paid holidays
Mission driven and progressive organization that changes many lives. Positive work environment. Sometimes demanding, yet rewarding place to work.
Accounting (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2012
Work load can be demanding at times, but organization is very driven to succeed in its mission and to thrive and grow. Positive and rewarding work environment. Outstanding benefits.
Great place to work. Professional atmosphere.
Director (Current Employee) –  Lake CharlesMay 14, 2013
A Cenikor employee must be hardworking, dedicated, and willing to go the extra mile. The work that we do is rewarding and challenging. The foundation offers a great benefits package that include 401K matching, a generous amount of PTO, & other benefits.
benefits
Cons
no paid holidays
Great place to work if you have passion for Addiction treatment...
Program Manager 1 (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LouisianaMay 30, 2012
Great mission, with good leadership and room for advancement. Compensation is not exceptional but adequate and what you would expect from a non-profit organization. Executives and directors are very accessible. They are demanding but fair. I have always been treated professionally and with respect from every superior I have been in contact with. I cant speak for other facilities, but my coworkers are all highly ethical, hard workers who are dedicated to the mission. There is a relatively high turnover rate with the counselor positions due to the 1pm -10pm schedule, the large amounts of paperwork required by DHH and the difficulty for counselors to adapt to the TC model, but the manager and director positions are stable. Insurance and 401k are great, as well as the new employee development program which offers employees who are interested in advancement, extra training opportunities and extra tuition reimbursement. The hours are long and the workload can be thick. You must be a hard worker to succeed at Cenikor, therefore it helps to have a passion for helping those who struggle with addiction. The paid time off is plus also. Cenikor culture and the methods of the therapeutic community can be difficult to learn and adapt to, but if you have a passion for addiction treatment, you keep an open mind to a treatment model that has been working for years and years, and you are a hard worker, then Cenikor will be a great opportunity for you.
Pros
benefits, pto, room for advancement, growing company, strong leadership, strong mission.
Cons
heavy workload, mediocre salary, 24/7 operation resulting in working holidays.