Centene Employee Reviews

fast pace, frequent changes
Inpatient Utilization Review/Case Management (Former Employee) –  remote positionNovember 16, 2017
Loved working remotely, loved working with my co-workers and clients. Worked as a temp employee for 2 years before the ability to work full time. This was a contract position, contract was extended but with a smaller staff need, my position was eliminated. Company provided counseling, HR/Marketing assistance for finding a new position which was very nice.
Pros
remote work
Cons
contract postion
Mind Numbing
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXNovember 14, 2017
*very isolated work tasks, and repetitive

* condescending managers and toxic work culture

* my manager was a vengeful, and bitter "leader"

* I felt like everyone pretty much disliked each other

* only thing that was okay was the pay, but the benefits are costly to the employee - especially the health insurance payments
Pros
I was able to leave
Cons
Almost everyone is often in a bad mood and pretty old (bitter and tired)
review
Provider Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 13, 2017
used to be enjoyable working for this company but then they moved our locations and are adding extra work with no extra benefits and no choice. the new location doesn't seem to care for the employees like the other site did.
Pros
pto
Cons
having to do extra work you weren't trained adequately for without having a choice
They ruined my name
Assist providers (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 13, 2017
I would never go back there and they ruined my name for 2 years I worked for an insurance company that didn't offer me insurance since I couldn't get. HR was bad.
Great company overall, with poor management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 13, 2017
Overall a great company with great pay and benefits. The biggest disappointment was poor management; both lack of skill/tact and unnecessary micromanagement. Not all departments and/or individuals are held to the same standards and there is definitely favoritism in a few different areas. During my employment, I witnessed several great employees leave due to inept management, unfair treatment, and childish practices (including rules irrelevant to some jobs and people being thrown under the bus). My manager was probably the worst I have ever had...hypocritical, poor people/management skills, and had no backbone when it came to supporting/defending the team/individual members. Serious consideration needs to be taken concerning employee work life balance and autonomy for one's on work/schedule. The way employees are treated and appreciated, bottom line, determines their level of performance and dedication to the company they work for. However, they seem willing to see excellent employees leave over petty reasons.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Micromanagement
Good place to learn
Program Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXNovember 12, 2017
Working at Centene is a great experience. You learn alot , my current supervisor is an amazing person. Hardest part of the job I would say is the work process change every day and clarification on certain criteria. Its a learning process like every job but I love my job.
Pros
Free Lunches, desserts, and healthcare /PTO
Cons
You dont always get recognized for your work and alot of favoritism
Good work environment
Referral Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLNovember 8, 2017
Great culture, benefits and employee growth opportunities. There were many resources available whenever the need.You'll meet interesting people who are your colleagues and managers.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
repetitive work, can get boring
This place is a horrible place to work *Beware*
Insurance Verification Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2017
I would never recommend this company to anyone, the upper management is a joke especially the jerks in the Florida and Houston location's, heartless, cut throat and are snakes. This company will not last at the rate they are going. They don't know how to treat their employees. All they care about is money and production. Threatening people with their jobs, making the Patient Care reps stay on the phone by limiting their rest room breaks. Very cruel place, they show favoritism they allow people to have positions that they are not qualified for because they are out side of work friends. Stay away from this place. You will regret it.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Everything else
This was a fun and knowledgeable place to work
H/R and Receptionist, Customer Service, Hiring (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MONovember 8, 2017
I really enjoyed my job at Centene. The employees were all friendly. The company was good about giving incentives for a job well done. I quit my job due to going back to college. A typical day was to make a list of everything I needed to accomplish that day. I learned all aspects of the job and the reason things were done the way they were. The hardest part of my job was staying focused as I multitask between several areas and I am one that ones to get it done right. I don't want someone having to pick up my slack. I loved everything about my job, it was enjoyable for the moment I clocked in until I went home.
Pros
I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with
Cons
Just wasn't enough hours in the day, to accomplish everything I wanted to get done
Great Supverisors & a great place to work
Behavioral Referral Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 7, 2017
Great place to work, great supervisors, great hours and flexible with days off including vacation. Management advise you of any changes within the company
Poorly ran company
Cybersecurity Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 3, 2017
Bad management and work hours. they don't fallow there policies and don't take security seriously. it's a sinking ship going down fast. i wouldn't recommend anyone working here.
Terrible place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 2, 2017
I wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone with self respect. Upper management is terrible. This place is a revolving door. Under staffed to the point you are stressed. Cannot keep employers because they enjoy firing them and the good ones find something better. Their processes are so unorganized it’s uncomfortable. Managers are pure evil.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Everything else
Medicaid Managed Care
cmo (Former Employee) –  north jerseyNovember 2, 2017
my job was to be a temporary CMO and train a new physician to be a full time CMO. I never planned to be their permanently and was helping the CEO till we found a full time person
Pros
I was independent a free to make decisions as I saw fit
Cons
No backup
Centene
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 1, 2017
Its a decent company, but if you work for corporate outside of STL... you may feel like you do not get as much attention as corporate who work at the headquarters
No comment
Information Technology Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOOctober 30, 2017
I have no comment other than to state every level of this firm's IT Management needs review. Most difficult environment I ever worked in. Would not accept another position with this firm.
Pros
Cons
Many
Great setting for education, training, and, delivery of case management services.
Behavioral Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Clark County, NVOctober 28, 2017
This is a high level corporate setting that is providing superb services and hires high level employees with lots of experience. They are expanding and continually recruiting. I needed more help; they were working on that as well. They have a great HR department in Las Vegas.
Pros
nice clean environment
Cons
still recruiting needed staff
no place for advancement for long term temp employees
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rock, AROctober 24, 2017
Put in loads of overtime during open enrollment and afterwards auditing of data and business analyst incorrect work of member letters without recognition upon completion. Felt like slave labor .
Pros
food, company parties
Cons
short to none breaks, management abusive, do not have people skills, sneaky backstabbing coworkers, unskilled and unknowlegable
Good benefits, poor work/life balance
Remote Telephonic Health Coach (Current Employee) –  remoteOctober 23, 2017
Long hours, nights and weekends. Pay and benefits are great for employees. Management can be good or poor depending on who you get as your team lead or manager. Not always allowed to take your breaks or lunch due to your work load. Poor work/life balance and little room for advancement for remote employees.
Was a great move for me
Concurrent Review Nurse (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 21, 2017
This has been one of the best career moves for myself. The pay and benefits are great. I have a great manager who works hard for us. It is a place that can be busy, but knowing how to manage your time and loads can make it easier. I would say one of the lowest stress jobs I have ever had. The only downsides can be sudden changes in procedures due to ever changing laws within states, or NCQA deciding to change their ideas on things. I wish there was work at home potential, because the company has the capability to do so, but have been told "the CEO doesn't like it". Just think it could be used as an awesome incentive, as they have the capabilities, and would help improve work/life balance for people with families.
Pros
Great pay, Great benefits, great ability to advance and learn
Cons
work/life balance
Hard working and fast paced job
Eligibility Representative I (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAOctober 21, 2017
Centene is a great company to work , this company is consistently adding more products and expanding their current depts. Several dept have plenty of overtime during open enrollment season.
Pros
Company make sure they have customer service week for their employees, free lunch, reduction in dress code and games. Excellent dental and medical benefits
Cons
cut overtime in some department

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centene. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8