Center for Disability Rights Employee Reviews

work
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Geneva, NYMay 24, 2016
great place to work. good overtime available always! there are no health benefits though which makes it hard. love working here
very rewarding position
In-home Care Provider/Senior Living Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 6, 2016
Excellent company to work for. All employees all the way up are very understanding and compassionate for this company. Nothing negative to say.
Working as a home aide
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 22, 2016
I would go straight to work after college, and work till about 11 or midnight.
Take the clients to and from appointments, prepare and cook meals for the clients, bathe the clients and get them either ready for the day or for bed.
I was the only one to work the weekends.
No breaks for meals.
CDR Review
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 21, 2016
I worked one on one with a client, doing daily activities for a bi-lateral amputee. I enjoyed helping an individual regain confidence in everyday life. The pay could have been a little more competitive with other personal home care organizations.
not all work -some fun times
Attendant Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Bath NYJanuary 10, 2016
I help clean and maintain the clients home. Essentially help with the clients needs. Company offers many benefits if I so chose to utilize them.
Pros
get to know new clients
Cons
not enough hours
Rewarding work that can be a lot of fun
Personal Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corning, NYMay 21, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my position as Person Care Attendant. The job was physically demanding, more than I could have anticipated, but well worth gaining the muscle and skill to provide the care needed! Working as companion/aide to an elderly, quadriplegic woman with MS was a great challenge and one of the most rewarding jobs I have had. Being the compassionate arms and legs for a gal who can move only her head and speak her every itch and pain takes the patience of the best Mom type! I learned to look at life through the eyes of another human being. I learned to be humble when a hangnail wanted to make me grumble. The management from the corporate level of this company was very lax in ensuring the safety and well being of the patients they were advocating. The social workers were not proactive in their positions to gain assistance for their patients. For the most part, all of my co-workers were compassionate and responsible people who all worked for very little pay, but the great rewards of knowing the good they accomplished each day at work. The most enjoyable part of the job? Having family members tell me that I have gained the love and friendship of a normally very reserved and private person who does not generally share!
Pros
knowing that you really can make a difference in a person's life
Cons
very low pay for extremely difficult work
Great Private Home Care Postions but not stable work
Personal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 18, 2015
Loved working with the disabled and loved my job. I did not like the unstable job oppertuitys, or the Human Resources. Filed a claim with Department of labor on unpaid wages. waiting to here back. Do to mix up and fail on human resources jobs.
Graphic Design
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2015
I normally get assignments every morning to finish them up. My biggest project was Annual Report, it was challenging and I had a fun experience!
Pros
design, disabilities, activities
Cons
volunteering
tricky business
Personal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Geneva, NYAugust 20, 2014
CDR is horrible if you dont know what youre getting yourself into. They offer no training as they rely on the supervisors in the consumers homes to do it. They also dont necessarily terminate you if you lose your consumer for any reason so you dont get your vacation/sick pay once you are unemployed. I will say that they are friendly if I've ever needed anything, as far as paper work goes. The pay isn't really all that great either.
Pros
one one on one consumer
Cons
you are in control of finding a consumer yourself, they don't do it for you.
Great mission. Extremely poor executive leadership.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 6, 2014
The CEO is parnaoid and vindicitve which affects all departments and their ability to complete the mission. The CEO's mother works there and is mean to staff and eveyone is afraid of her.
This is a Ma and Pa shop that grew past the leadership abilites of their CEO. If you do not want to constantly have to look behind your back don't work there, especailly if you are middle management.
Pros
Focus on Civil Rights
Cons
Toxic, vindicitive work enviorment
Horrible senior management (CEO). Yelled, screamed, and harassed staff. Hostile work environment.
SC (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 19, 2014
Toxic work environment, no accountability from the Board.
Pros
Working with people with disabilities.
Cons
If you challenge the CEO he will set you up to fire you. Toxic work environment.
Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 30, 2014
I loved working with this organization. They brought a philosophy that most companies just say blah, blah, blah. But, this organization believes what it says, they do things to teach people that are disabled to stand up or rather, sit up and speak out when things aren't right. They treated us well, once a year bonus, sick days, vacation days, and even a 401(k) and medical benefits !! For many people that are single parents, it's a great deal !!
I felt I could make a difference with spreading the message that certain entrances aren't great and why keep out people in wheelchairs and those with canes?
Pros
They involve aides as well as their clients. Saved the community 2 million dollars (not any more)
Cons
I can't work there anymore. :(
Productive place to work
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 27, 2014
One o the best agencies to work for. they show their appreciation to their employees
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Agency really advocates for its clients
Independent Living Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 2, 2014
I visited people on my case load to assure that they were taking care of their basic needs. I didn't like the neighborhoods that I was asked to go into.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not enough training, no support
My work for Center For Disability Rights
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Corning, NYNovember 27, 2013
I take care of an older man who needs help with meals, erronds, transportation. I always walk close to him just to prevent him from falling. I do light housekeeping of his home.
n/a
Transition Life Coach (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 28, 2013
• Provide one-on-one transition coaching services to consumers.
• Assist consumers in maintaining their independence.
• Assist in developing and implementation of action plan that moves consumer towards their goals and independence.
• Developed a collaborative and trusting relationship in order to assist my consumers in identifying their individual values and goals.
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Painted Post, NYJune 27, 2013
.I worked as a home care aide for a child with autism. I helped him with all his morning routines and evening routines. I also took him to all his appointments and was involved in his school activities.
Very nice place to work with people
Personal care aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 25, 2013
I enjoyed working for Center for disability rights. I was able to work, go to school full time and take care of both my children while being pregnant. I enjoyed getting to know my client and taking care of her as I would want some one to care for one of my family members.
Kind
Certified Nurses Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 6, 2013
Staff members are plesant to work with. To date I have only taken care of 2 consumers, both of whome are very nice woman, a pleasure to take care of.
Great place to wrok
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Geneva, NYFebruary 12, 2013
CDR is a great place to work if you like working with people and the supervisor staff is great.
Being a PCA I help those who cant do everything on there own stay independent and out of nursing facilities.
Being a D.R i have learned case management skills and how to more effectively advocate for my clients and their needs.
Pros
72 hour work week optional
Cons
health benefits are icky

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Disability Rights. Our community is ready to answer.

Center for Disability Rights Reviews by Location