Center for Disability Services

Center for Disability Services Employer Reviews

College of Saint Rose graduate program
Clinician (Former Employee), Albany, NYJune 3, 2014
College of Saint Rose graduate program. Demanding and beneficial.
Productive work environment
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee), Albany, New YorkMay 28, 2014
Clients have varied impairments - physical, mental, social and or intellectual disability. Staff involvement is required in many cases. There are opportunities for growth and development - great place for individuals interested in becoming a nurse to work because they have exposure to medication administration, vital signs, wound care and documentation.
Where People Get Better at Life
Program Manager (Current Employee), New YorkApril 9, 2014
Pros: being a part of something bigger
Cons: can be consuming at times
I have spent several years with the Center for Disability Services and all of those years have been a crucial part of my development in the human services field. A typical day is hard to describe because each day is different based on the needs of the program and the residents. While there are tasks to be done at certain times, the priorities change – more... from day to day, and that is the manager's responsibility to decide how it all gets done. I liked that part of the job because it challenged me to think with the residents in mind over anything else. My co-workers were a tightly knit group of people I was proud to say was part of my team. I enjoyed developing the staff to be more independent and move on to more challenging roles. The best part of the job was seeing the changes in people, and watching them grow. The hardest part of the job was honestly was leaving. I spent two years developing relationships and earning trust from people that didn't know me. I had a deep sense of involvement in not just the program but had been able to be a part of people's lives. Something that great is hard to walk away from. – less
Well, the care givers do their best to help the consumers in the program.
Counselor (Former Employee), Albany, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Center for Disability Services is a large Mental Health Organization with some number of employees, but the rate of Employee stagnancy is high in this organization.(Employees in one position for 6yrs to 12yrs) The organization claim that their employee have the opportunity to grow within the organization after six months period, but they do not keep – more... to this policy. – less
Well rounded Non Profit agency
Human Resources Office Manager (Former Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 26, 2014
This company is a fine institution that helps those people with developmental disabilities lead normal and productive lives. While their focus is on the consumers that they serve, they serve their employees with the same concept. They hep people get better at life.
Pleasant place to work
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Albany, NYNovember 13, 2013
I enjoyed the everyday challenge and personal satisfaction of helping the developmentally disabled adults in their daily life routines.
I loved working with people with disabilities
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Troy, NYSeptember 12, 2013
When I worked for the Center I really enjoyed knowing that I was able to help someone with disability take care of the thing that they needed to do in the everyday life, plus I could help them do things that they couldnt do on there own to make them happy.
nice place to work
Certified Nursing assistant (Former Employee), albany, new yorkSeptember 9, 2013
i enjoyed working with people with disiabilities it allowed me to open up to people that lives.
Interesting and very challenging but fuflilling work place
Skills Specialist (Former Employee), Albany, NYAugust 29, 2013
Typical day very very busy. Depending on which department you work for. The best thing about the job is knowing that everyday you are depended on. Its fufilling knowing that you are helping those with disabilities become more independent.
A group of dedicated people with a deep conviction to help people with Developmental Disabilities.
Payee Clerk (Current Employee), Heath, OHAugust 27, 2013
I work for caring, hard working people who believe in what they are doing, and they inspire me tremendously. What I have learned is to have more compassion. Also, I have learned that people with developmental disabilities seem to have far less prejudices and live their lives to the fullest. For me the hardest part of the job has been to get so close – more... to the people we serve, and then lose them. For example in the last year we have had three people pass away. It has been so heartbreaking for me personally. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing what I am doing makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve. – less
nice place to work
Regional Manager of Commercial Division (Former Employee), Albany, NYApril 5, 2013
Pros: consumers
Cons: management
a good place to work for the consumers, dont lose sight that you are there for the consumers.
rewarding place to work, great staff
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Albany, NYMarch 19, 2013
Pros: free food
Cons: little room for advancement
Assist with daily living task of people with various mental and physical disabilities. I learned to be grateful for what I have and I've come to value more of my abilities that I once took for granted. The workers and management are friendly. The hardest part about the job is working with consumers for the first time but, over time one is bound to establish – more... a relationship with the residents. It takes a particular type of person to work in this field. – less
slp
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee), Albany, NYFebruary 20, 2013
SLP working with children with multiple needs, including those who use augmentative communication methods
good work place
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Albany, NYJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: health insurance
Cons: long shifts, no 9-5 for residential counselor
A typical day at work involves a multitude of activities including direct care, counseling, planning and implementing activities.
Rewarding
Home Health Aide (Former Employee), alamazoo, miJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: too many to list
Cons: loosing clients
I loved working for cds. i learned so much about myself and many skills. I learned how to manage time well, make daily plans, detailed records, and more. The co-workers where friendly and great to work with. My supervisor was always available to talk day or night, she was caring, listened but took no nonsense. The most enjoyable part of the job was – more... helping people, to know that you made a difference in someones life is the most amazing feeling. – less
Flexible schedule
Behavior Specialist, Master Clinician (Current Employee), Albany, NYDecember 27, 2012
Great supervision, flexible schedule but limited room for advancement . No compensation raise or cost of living adjustment.
Did not enjoy working with my supervisor
Home Manager (Former Employee), Newark, OHNovember 28, 2012
Pros: updated my first aide certifafition
Cons: schedule was changed on a daily basis
The experince I had with my supervisor was not an enjoyable experience. Supervisor was gardian of her son, (home that I was placed in) and also was over all of his medical decisions. My schedule was changed on a daily basis.
Good agency to work for.
Resident Counselor (Former Employee), Albany, NYJuly 19, 2012
Pros: worked independantly
Cons: mileage reimbursment
A typical day at work was working with clients and assisting them to become independant. I have learned a lore about working with client's who have physical disabilities. The trainings the agency provided were very helpful in when working with the population I worked with.
Great place to work and gives a sense of purpose
Lead Staff - Skills Training Specialist (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIJuly 9, 2012
While working with CDS I gained more leadership skills and worked with a variety of people with disabilities. It taught me how to adapt quickly and how to problem solve on my feet.
good benfits ,fun atmosphere
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Albany, NYMay 14, 2012
Pros: uniforms
Cons: not enough pay, to long of a break
a good job with benfits ,uniforms,good co-workers.to much down time with no pay.management is ok.hardest part coming to work is knowing there not good pay.best part is seeing my co-workers.