Center for Disability Services Employee Reviews in United States

Zero Job Security
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 10, 2015
After working for this company for over 15 years I was let go so they could hire someone at a lower pay rate with less benefits. Any employee with over 10 years of service were let go as well for the same reason. I do not recommend working at the Center for Disability Services, they do not have a union and Senior staff and Human Resources work together. No one has your back. Your walking on eggshells everyday you are there. They also do not give individual raises. If and when (every 5 years) they decide to give you a raise ALL employees get a raise regardless to how hard you work and how little the other person works.
Pros
hour free lunch
Cons
No support from your Director or Human Resources, Too much work with not enough time or support to get the job done
good place to work and go to school fulltime
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  aobany NYAugust 19, 2015
Great place to work, there is plenty of OT if desired, flexibility in schedule. and opportunity for advancement. I was able to pursue career goals and attend college . I don't think I would be able to manage if they weren't as flexible as they are. the work environment is casual and relaxing. Although sometimes challenging the work is rewarding
Pros
flexabilty, benefits, able to take time of when needed, and casual enviorment
Cons
if you cant do direct personal care this is not the job for you
love working and helping those who cant help themselves
transportation assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 26, 2016
I loved working with the consumers. making them comfortable when strapping them down in wheelchairs making sure they were safe and secure. I also got to learn their behaviors. even made the families of each of the consumers feel comfortable.
Pros
the long breaks
Cons
just about every week a training class
Great environment, slow changes
Management (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Slow moving culture. Very family oriented and flexible with schedules. Many times, focuses on fear of compliance rather than best practices. Healthcare needs a major overhaul. Friendly co-workers and administrative support.
friendly people nice work site
Skills Specialist-Helping (Current Employee) –  Guilderland, NYSeptember 10, 2015
direct care work, supervised visitation,
maintain contact, established staff supervision strategies,
case management,
improve consumers information records keeping information dissemination system while maintain confidentiality as per HIPPA regulations.
management
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 16, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive management. It is a smaller company from where I came from. The QIDP staff does ISP's, banking, doctor appointments and advocate for the clients.
Productive, fun place to work
Clinical assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 19, 2014
Residential setting, management is always very helpful and takes interest in seeing employee skill development

Opportunities for advancement are always available

Friendly work environment, good benefits and flexible scheduling if needed
Good place to learn many new skills
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Albany, New YorkSeptember 19, 2015
There are hectic days, slow days and exciting days. The Center is based on helping individuals in every day living, so its almost like being home, yet you meet many new and unique people.
Pros
Free food, free entrance to regal movies.
Cons
Always being on guard.
Challenging yet rewarding
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 2, 2015
As Residential Counselor, I was able to Enforce rules and regulations to ensure the smooth and orderly operation of dormitory programs. Provide emergency first aid and summon medical assistance when necessary.Mediate interpersonal problems between residents. Make regular rounds to ensure that residents and areas are safe
Pros
Great lunch breaks
Cons
no health care package
A life change and pleasant workplace to work.
Teacher's Aide and Habilitation Assistant Staff (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 22, 2015
A typical day at work was to assist children with disabilities to do daily activities to facilitate their independence and care for them when needed. I learned to have patience, compassion for them and care for them. The management was always available to answer questions and help the children if needed. The hardest part of the job was to be able to communicate with customer with severe disabilities. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the children laughing and having fun.
Typical day at work
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  albany NY 12008July 27, 2015
Every day that I enter the door at work I check e-mails, health concerns, communitcation book. I look at my list that I make daily for what I need to do for the day. I make sure consults are done for the appointments, make sure medcation inventory is done on Tuesdays and that meds that were ordered have come in. When going on appointments that all the ladies day habs know that they have appointments that month.
Great Place to wwork
Nursing Assistant/ Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Guilderland, NYOctober 1, 2014
Very flexible, I love working here, the pay is very competitive. I love the convenience of the hours and the amount of overtime offered at any given time. the benefits are amazing. I would recommend working here. Con: Extensive training for low pay, but after its over, the pay gets better.
Pros
great work enviornment
Cons
extensive training for low pay, but after its over, the pay gets better.
Terrible place to work!!!!!!!
skills specialist (Current Employee) –  Guilderland, NYAugust 15, 2014
THE CENTER IS AN AWFUL ENVIRONMENT TO WORK IN I HIGHLY DONT SUGGEST ANYBODY GOING HERE! i Worked at the smith center and the management is AWFUL!!! all they care about is their paycheck!!! they do not care about the staff and they dont care about the mentally disabled! THE PLACE IS A FREE FOR ALL which makes this very dangerous!! THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT!! They pick and choose who they want! dont do it!
Cons
management is terrible!!
rewarding place to work, great staff
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 19, 2013
Assist with daily living task of people with various mental and physical disabilities. I learned to be grateful for what I have and I've come to value more of my abilities that I once took for granted. The workers and management are friendly. The hardest part about the job is working with consumers for the first time but, over time one is bound to establish a relationship with the residents. It takes a particular type of person to work in this field.
Pros
free food
Cons
little room for advancement
N/a
Finance Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 20, 2015
I do not have much to say about this company or the job I had. The coworkers are nice but the pay is less than satisfactory for the amount of work.
Not a good work place at all
Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Guilderland, NYSeptember 22, 2014
I was a skills specialist with The Center for Disability Services, for about 3 months or so. My job location was at the Smith Center in Guilderland. I seen alot within those 3 months that let me know that it wasn't a safe place to work for. The consumers were great but staff there were awful. Phones out all the time on social media not focused on the consumers needs. Very unprofessional. They train you one way, and then try and teach you another way. Management at the Smith Center sucks. Skills Coordinators believe they have the right to tell skills specialist everything to do, when in all actuality they don't. They show favoritism there. They are only for the money, they could care less about the consumers! Some consumers are so ill and medically frail, that they have no bussiness in a day hab setting. I remember being in a particular room and I swear we had to call the nurse down every 20 mins for a certain consumer who just isn't fit for dayhab.
Pros
hours mon-fri 8am-3:30pm
Cons
management/skills coordinators
Productive work day
Resident Counselor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 16, 2015
I have been able to work day shifts, evening shifts and overnight shifts. I would go into work and get ready to either send the consumers off to work or getting ready for them to come home. When working evening shifts, I would get diner prepped and get them ready for their showers and to give them their medication. Once they were ready for bed, me and a co-worker would transfer them into their beds. When working overnights, I would have to give some of the consumers medication ad do bed checks and get them ready for work in the morning. All my co-workers were all so helpful and are outgoing. The hardest part of the job was only when we were short staffed, it'll make things a bit difficult, but we would get through the shift. The most part I enjoyed of the job was being able to help the consumers and putting a smile on their faces.
Pros
my co-workers
Cons
expensive healthcare
Loved working here
RESIDENT CONSULAR (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 2, 2015
Will not find a job like this, no experience needed, they do all the training, and the houses are great! Loved my house and residents, will never forget them!
great place to start out
direct support professional (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 23, 2015
Fast paced environment
Work together as a team
Flexible positions
Must be willing to work weekends and holidays
Full time status for 30hr positions
My occupation
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  various locationsJanuary 7, 2015
I begin work at 8:00 am and end my day at 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. I have learned so much from my co-workers and the individuals with disabilities that I have grown to know and care for through my job at this company. The hardest part of my job has been learning to organize deadlines and meetings efficiently as to be prepared and ready to speak about the progress being made by the individuals I see. At the end of the day, I leave work knowing that I made a difference in the lives of others.
Pros
good work environment, good hours
Cons
can be challenging at times