Center for Disability Services Employee Reviews

Great for students
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 19, 2017
Awesome place with flexible positions and shifts for students with varied schedules. Management was always accommodating, and with so many employees it was easy to fond someone to cover your shift. Some clients require more patience than others, but anyone going into HHS has the heart for it :)
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
no breaks
A great experience
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 17, 2017
The center is a challenging and rewarding place to work. The experience will be applicable to all future endeavors. The best part of the job was serving a difficult population.
Pros
Working with a stigmatized and marginalized population
Cons
Staff turnover
good
Senior Day Program, Kalmazoo, Michigan (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIApril 11, 2017
Great place to work, It has a relaxed atmosphere. Employer workers with employee and gives you a flexible schedule. The participants were all so different and I felt like I was able to learn a lot from each of them.
Pros
breaks
Cons
not paid
I loved working with the consumers.
Resident Counselor/Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cohoes, NYMarch 23, 2017
I enjoyed the job because it taught me patients,and I learned a lot about the consumers that I worked with. They each had different personalities as well as different expectations for themselves along with the staff. I will admit that if you are not used to the environment you can easily feel out of place, but I was right at home because I have three sisters that I helped raise that are disabled so I knew that I had a lot to offer, and this was before I enrolled in college.
Pros
Being able to truly help the consumer help themselves.
Cons
dealing with a difficult consumer, and having to restrain them.
Come for a job not a career
Business Office staff (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 21, 2017
Very poorly ran, MGMT makes decisions very carelessly. Their motto is come for a job and stay for a career but they do not value their staff. If you're looking for raises and a caring employer; look elsewhere!
Pros
Hours of operation very friendly.
Cons
Terrible pay and poor vacation accumulation.
Not ideal
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 8, 2017
Staff at the Center for Disability services were not very helpful to new staff and I found the job to be very extensive, exhausting, and very much so under paid for the work you are expected to do.
Not Fun
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Albany, NY 12208January 3, 2017
High turnover. Low pay, but good benefits. Very little association between co-workers. Hard to adapt to every changing rules surrounding their payroll system.
Not so great
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 2, 2017
The work schedule is nice, 3 12 hour shifts a week. However, you do not get paid for 40 hours a week.

Management is absolutely horrible, they have no idea how to run a facility. The building is never staffed, managers are not professional by any standard.
Nurses are stuck for more than 20 hours at times do to lack of staff, and no one wanting to take keys.
CNA's run the show, they tell the LPN's what to do, and managers let them.
All too common to have unsafe levels of staffing, but, are very quick to fire you when something is wrong.
Pros
the residents
Cons
Sometimes no break, management, staffing
Comments
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 30, 2016
Center for disabilities is a great place to work and i'm very happy to be here but, unfortunately i'm leaving this upstate region to attend school in NYC by my parents house. So i am looking for a agency almost just as Good as the center is good to me.
Great workplace
RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  314 south manning blvdOctober 5, 2016
really enjoyed working for the center allowed me to have flexibility with my schedule and always chances to progress within the corporation if given a chance I would go back.
Overwork and under paid
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 22, 2016
Long hours, no raises, management doesnt listen to employees.

There is days I don't get to see my own family. The funding is not available.

The board doesn't understand the business.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low wages, managements
safely collected and disposed of residential waste
Therapeutic Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 28, 2016
my job at the time was to collect and dispose of residential waste in a safe environment in which I appreciated so much. whatever way I can help people. I give my m
utmost attention to. I just want to be of service to humanity.
love working and helping those who cant help themselves
transportation assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 26, 2016
I loved working with the consumers. making them comfortable when strapping them down in wheelchairs making sure they were safe and secure. I also got to learn their behaviors. even made the families of each of the consumers feel comfortable.
Pros
the long breaks
Cons
just about every week a training class
working with the clients
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 15, 2015
getting the clients off the bus,talking to them about their day,to be very patient with others.the management team was very good.the co workers and i worked very well together when the clients werhaving outbursts,going on a trip to Memphis whit them
Pros
going out into the community with the clients
Cons
when a co worker called in
Great environment, slow changes
Management (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Slow moving culture. Very family oriented and flexible with schedules. Many times, focuses on fear of compliance rather than best practices. Healthcare needs a major overhaul. Friendly co-workers and administrative support.
Good place to learn many new skills
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Albany, New YorkSeptember 19, 2015
There are hectic days, slow days and exciting days. The Center is based on helping individuals in every day living, so its almost like being home, yet you meet many new and unique people.
Pros
Free food, free entrance to regal movies.
Cons
Always being on guard.
Zero Job Security
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 10, 2015
After working for this company for over 15 years I was let go so they could hire someone at a lower pay rate with less benefits. Any employee with over 10 years of service were let go as well for the same reason. I do not recommend working at the Center for Disability Services, they do not have a union and Senior staff and Human Resources work together. No one has your back. Your walking on eggshells everyday you are there. They also do not give individual raises. If and when (every 5 years) they decide to give you a raise ALL employees get a raise regardless to how hard you work and how little the other person works.
Pros
hour free lunch
Cons
No support from your Director or Human Resources, Too much work with not enough time or support to get the job done
friendly people nice work site
Skills Specialist-Helping (Current Employee) –  Guilderland, NYSeptember 10, 2015
direct care work, supervised visitation,
maintain contact, established staff supervision strategies,
case management,
improve consumers information records keeping information dissemination system while maintain confidentiality as per HIPPA regulations.
N/a
Finance Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 20, 2015
I do not have much to say about this company or the job I had. The coworkers are nice but the pay is less than satisfactory for the amount of work.
good place to work and go to school fulltime
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  aobany NYAugust 19, 2015
Great place to work, there is plenty of OT if desired, flexibility in schedule. and opportunity for advancement. I was able to pursue career goals and attend college . I don't think I would be able to manage if they weren't as flexible as they are. the work environment is casual and relaxing. Although sometimes challenging the work is rewarding
Pros
flexabilty, benefits, able to take time of when needed, and casual enviorment
Cons
if you cant do direct personal care this is not the job for you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Disability Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Center for Disability Services Reviews by Location