Center for Human Development

Center for Human Development Employer Reviews

Productive and caring enviornment for both employees and clients
Student Mentor (Current Employee), La Grande, ORJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: rich learning enviornment
Cons: driving clients, clients missed appointments
Supervisors cared and listened to what we had to say and were there for any questions we had. CHD is a supportive environment. I learned how to effectively document information regarding clients although that was the hardest part of the job. I enjoyed getting to know the clients on a personal level everyday.
I loved working with difficult clients, and had support from management
Forensic Case Manager/ Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee), Hartford CtDecember 10, 2013
I enjoyed my time with this company, and it was personal reasons that I had to leave, this position taught me so much and would not think twice to go back if I was to move back to the Hartford area
generally positive experience at CHD
former Manager (Former Employee), Springfield, MANovember 23, 2013
An organization as large and complex as CHD is difficult to do in a simple review as it works in multiple states and has dozens of decentralized programs. While compensation and benefits coordination are organization wide, management is decentralized so employment experiences can be somewhat different based on the program management. As others have – more... reviewed, my experience at CHD was that many areas are tight and there is a family attitude to them and many genuinely good people work there.

As an employer CHD seems to try to walk the walk and provide fair practices and tries to look out for employees. Wage increases are few and often the pay you start with is what you are making several years later but the benefits are excellent with health insurance and retirement. Time off benefits start off on the lower side but increase quickly with tenure.

CHD has an arrogant reputation with other organizations and is often seen as uncooperative or in seeking growth in trying to do everything and anything. As a result its infrastructure and ability to do all of these things well has suffered, there is ongoing crisis management. It tends look externally rather than develop its own management choosing to bring in people that other organizations have already invested in. There are opportunities for advancement but few given the size of CHD.

Organizational decision making often appears muddled and the style of upper management appears very reactive and blaming at times rather than proactive. Morale suffers as a result and over past year there have been with multiple management changes and crises. Central leadership of programs is an area of needed growth. Some well established programs have excellent management and provide excellent services to clients and other programs that need more consistent coordinated management. – less
Very good business to work, everyone very friendly like a family
Accountant (Former Employee), Springfield, MAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: everyone enjoyed working with each other and made work fun.
Cons: i wanted to work more hours but didn't have to.
Very friendly work environment
Flexible work schedule
Fellow co-workers were like family
The most difficult part was leaving so many people I loved working with as I started the corporation.
fun work place
Mentor and Counsel (Former Employee), west springfield massSeptember 12, 2013
great working with the young girls, being able to understand where they come from and them being able to trust
i love my job and the people i work with.
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Springfield, MAAugust 10, 2013
Pros: paid lunch
Cons: no raise
i love my job and the people i work with.
every day is different!
Outstanding Organization with Poorly Managed Local Programs
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Holyoke, MAJune 10, 2013
Pros: community oriented; mindful of individual well being
Cons: poor leadership; disconnected communication
CHD is an excellent organization that has unfortunately merged with local Programs which have little to no adequate upper management and therefore no defined leadership within these local Programs. It appears that CHD has simply acquired more Programs than it is able to Supervise.

My tenure in the office of one of their Programs in Holyoke revealed – more... that the "culture" there was severely infected with negativity, gossip, sexual harassment, and office bullying. There was a severe disconnect in communication and unfortunately the Staff aren't the only ones who are affect by this but also the people participating with the Program.

"One bad apple spoils the whole bunch." – less
Great place to work.
Administrator/Professional Relations (Current Employee), Wausau, WIDecember 27, 2012
Pros: great atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: few benefits
Fun, friendly staff. Like having a second family. The hardest part of my job deals with divorce mediation for the Marathon County Court system. I also work with accounts receivable.
great place to practice skills
Counselor (Current Employee), Hartford, CTDecember 24, 2012
Pros: day trips no expense to you
Cons: unflexible work schedule, lack of support from management
CHD is a great place to learn many unpolished skills, there's a great deal of team work between co-workers. The best part of the job is the time that is spent with the clients on day trips and outings. The worst being the unflexible work schedule and the lack of support from management.
helping
Direct Care Supervisor (Former Employee), Wakefield, MADecember 5, 2012
Cons: not enough help
Working the Kitchen, making lunch for clients. Making sure money and food orders are correct.
Productive setting, always something new to experience
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Springfield, MAOctober 2, 2012
Pros: helping young teens with behavioral issues become sucessful
Cons: health care expensive
The management is great. I have a boss that was willing to teach me more and more so I could become all that I could on the Job. The staff i more like family they get along great. The hardest part of the job is when the clients get into a bad state of mind. The whole group home feels the effect. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the young – more... teens leave the program with positive attitudes, they have the mind set of being sucessful in their life. Staff feels great because they know they had something to do with their sucess. – less
Great program
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee), Springfield, MASeptember 5, 2012
Staff pre-plan the day for the kids at the day program. We usually plan the day around the ability of the kids to succeed in the community and with each other.
I've learned how to help the kids through their behavioral and emotional issues. Helping them set goals and giving them the tools to achieve them. The kids have a chance to reach their goals – more... every time they come to program as well as in the community and with their families.
The hardest part of the job would be having to figure out each child's needs and being cautious about the triggers of each child when formulating groups. It is important to us as staff to create an environment where everyone can successfully reach their goals.
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the kids reach their goals. I love being able to help the kids be successful and move toward the ultimate goal; graduation. – less
Home like environment that provided comfort to clients who wanted to maintain their sobriety.
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee), Springfield, MAAugust 29, 2012
Pros: sometimes free lunches while helping clients
Cons: clients compliance with treatment and remain sober for long time
Monitor medication effects, encourage clients to work on their recovery. Calls to reffer client to other services. teaching clients to be independent and find employment as needed. assist clients to prepare their meals, transpport clients to medical appoitments. Counseling, and discuss progress in treatment. comunicate with supervisor any concerns. – more... work as a team and discuss pending cases. Hardest part was to see people that refused to use tools to better themselves. Most enjoyable was ro see clients to show more than 80% improvement, and to follow treatment recommendations. – less
unstable financial stability to support the agency
Marriage and Family therapist intern (Former Employee), WinchesterFebruary 24, 2012
Pros: small agency and great supervisors
Cons: no pay (base on the contract)
Board members and management were unable to maintain the business operation

About Center for Human Development

The Center for Human Development serves more than 4,000 children, adults and families in Massachusetts and Connecticut with 800 – Read more