Center for Literacy Employee Reviews

Great training ground
Manager/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Phila, PAJanuary 6, 2015
While working for the company, I was able to progress from instructor to director. There was great opportunity for advancement with support from both my immediate supervisor and the executive director.

The work culture was pleasant, although it's not conducive for introverted types who'd struggle with sharing office space with multiple people.

I hold high regard for this company as well as my experiences and growth, while there.
Pros
Management, workers, flexibility
Cons
Salary, workload
Mid-sized company that feels more like a family than a job.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 11, 2013
Center for Literacy (CFL) is an excellent pace to work. As The Executive Assistant/Facilities Coordinator there was nothing typical about my day except to expect anything to happen. Being there provided a place to grow and use my existing talents as well as learn and improve upon new ones. Because the company size is smaller than others afforded me the opportunity to become close to co-workers from all departments which further reinforced the cordiality between staff members. Being able to work closely with people you actually enjoy working with is one of the best features about CFL. The most difficult part of the job is leaving at 5:00 because there is always one more thing to do in a day.
Pros
Cordial, friendly and helpful staff. Enormous learning potential.
Cons
Smaller staff size leaves less people to handle more tasks.
A literacy non-profit with a focus on changing the lives of
ASE Math Instructor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2013
Center for Literacy has a tremendous ability to impact the environment around it. The individuals employed there are hard working and dedicated; and the learners that attend classes are truly inspirational. Often they overcome tremendous circumstance and view their education with the highest regard. I believe they taught me an important lesson about the power of voice. Every individual, regardless of their educational experience has a powerful voice and a strong set of beliefs. The work done at Center for Literacy helps to give them the tools in order to express that voice. I believe that the learners there will now have an opportunity to positively impact the world around them. This gift should never be underestimated. The job was not always easy and it required a lot of ingenuity in order to make the lessons accesible, but it was always rewarding. I truly want to work in a field where I can continue to make the difference for the community around me.
Pros
Inspring work enviornment
Cons
lack of funding
This is a great place to work. When you see goals reached by the learners in obtaining their GED or entry into post-secondary education is pricesless.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 21, 2012
Everyday learners are ready to indulge into materials that will help them increase their literacy skills. The co-workers are great and very helpful in sharing their knowledge to assist you in making sure we help each learner achieve their goals.
Pros
transit check is great!
Cons
health insurance is too costly!
A very fun place to work, enjoyed the staff and consumers
Case Manager/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 11, 2012
My day with this agency was great! It started with returning calls from voice mails left after work hours, meeting with staff in the mornings to discuss details about clients prior to them arriving for their daily classes,and completing daily case notes after meeting with clients. Also, I provided clients with referrals, and assisted in directing them to resources throughout the city that met their needs.
Pros
respect for each other and for who we served.
Cons
the unknown of your job security.

4.7