Center for Strategic and International Studies Employee Reviews

Great for young professionals
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2017
Think tanks allow for stimulating work, even at low pay. The young professional community is vibrant and management is dedicated to long-term development. CSIS is a top rate institution with global influence.
One of the best places I have ever worked
Researcher - Chair for Southeast Asia Studies (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 21, 2017
Great management team, strong bipartisan academic reports. I had opportunities to work with thought leaders, heads of state and political figures, advance my own career through mentorship opportunities and have fun at the same time.
A good place to work
Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2017
CSIS is a place to work where you feel like you can make a difference. From the CEO down to interns everyone is there to help improve the course of US and the world through better policy decisions.
Help Desk Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2017
My time working at Center for Strategic and International Studies was a great experience for me because I learned so much and was able to use the skills to solve a lot of computers issues
Pros
Free Lunches
Great Learning Experience
Membership Groups Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2015
Beautiful building with a great workplace culture that was fun, friendly and welcoming. My superiors were always helping me improve my skills and guiding me through new processes. I never felt unappreciated as an intern and due to my high work performance, I was awarded hourly pay after 1 month working at CSIS. Lots of networking opportunities and endless interesting events available for staff to attend.
Best job of my life
Program Manager/Analyst, ISP (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2014
I loved my time at CSIS. The work was meaningful and the people were professional and great to be around. There is not much negative to say about it with exception to the pay is below what you would make at a for profit organization, but you do not go there to make a profit. You go to CSIS to make a difference.
Pros
Great work life balance, meaningful work
Cons
Pay not as competitive as for profit orgs
Very good place for an internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2014
You will be working in the center of the political world and will interact with some of the most important and intelligent people in the world. You will learn more than you could even imagine.
An Inspiring and Dedicated Think Tank
Intern, South Asia Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2014
My experience as an intern at CSIS has been invaluable going forward in my career. The research and writing skills taught are particularly valuable.
Ideal Environment to Grow
Research Assistant Intern, Kissinger Chair (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2014
This organization has a welcoming atmosphere where one is encouraged to push the envelope.
It is the best Organization. anybody can work for!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 24, 2012
Prepare briefs for meetings involving top-level government officials and experts

• Conduct research and write analysis on:
-Iran's nuclear diplomacy
-the crisis in Syria
-the leadership transition in China
-Russia's force structure, military capabilities/doctrine, and modernization efforts
-the Phased Adaptive Approach, non-strategic nuclear weapons, and U.S.-Russia “reset”
-the future of NATO
-geopolitical dynamics between Russia, Iran, and Turkey
-European security policy and defense posture

• Monitor current events daily
• Assist with planning and carrying out of events involving high profile government officials and experts
• Provide administrative support
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks