Center for Urban Community Services

Center for Urban Community Services Employer Reviews

Great place to work overall.
Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2014
I learned a lot while at tCUCS and enjoyed working with clients and staff.
Great learning experience.
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2014
Very busy day to day operation due to the service population. My internship has offer me great educational support. It's a place where you learn and grow and develop as a worker. Staff is very supportive. I enjoy working with the mentally ill homelessness population. My job is rewarding when my clients' end their street homeless and move into permanent housing. At times, it's very difficult to met the demands of the job due to all the work that is required.
Learning environment
Family Service Director/Disability Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 18, 2013
Great coworkers and very supportive work environment. The most enjoyable part of the day was the interactions with families.
Relaxed environment great people to work with.
Field Accountant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 23, 2013
Pros: metrocard allowance
Cons: minimal opportunity to grow.
Working with cucs has taught me how to relate to individuals of all backgrounds. They offered many trainings on cultural competency. I have met the greatest people to work with in my work experience. Knowing what I did helped less unfortunate individuals helped me to feel good about what I did. My average day was maintaining my income statements as assigned. Working with budget for accuracy on budgets. preparing and reviewing check requests for accuracy of appropriate documentation and proper GL coding. liaising with office managers on financial reporting of there balances to help them maintain their site budgets. Preparing journal entries and adjusting entries. A lot of my day was spent on banking as I managed our clients accounts and maintenance. prepared and maintained my schedules for audit. I also served as a back up for accounts payable and assisted in that area as needed. managed fixed assets through our internal spreadsheet. I wouldn't say there was a hard part of my job because I truly enjoy to work and love to take on new challenges.
Outreach/Housing Coordinator (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJuly 2, 2013
• Sectored Manhattan for homeless individual’s to add to case load for housing
• Handled a case load of upwards of 20 clients
• Completed HRA 2010E packets and obtained personal documentation for clients
• Coordinated efforts with other housing agencies for client relation purposes
• Coordinated clean up efforts for homeless areas with the City and Parks Department
Very Productive learning experience.
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 25, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, provided a lot of services for staff
Cons: didn't cater to single mom's or families, should've had better security
A typical day at work consisted of answering the phones that rung non stop; Greeting fellow employees, clients and visitors; Directing people to the bathroom; Directing people to the appropriate training room; Letting employees know when their client arrived; Making sure visitors/clients signed in on the appropriate sign in sheet; Making sure first time visitors filled out an intake sheet; Letting people into the building; Making copies, sending faxes, sending out emails; Cleaning out the community refrigerator every Friday. Very busy throughout the day and fast paced. I learned patience when dealing with individuals who suffered from Mental health issues. The relationship I had with my supervisor of 3 1/2 years was great. We had a personal and business relationship. If I had a problem with something she tried her best to resolve it. My co-workers were great people to work with. We worked together to make the job easier for all of us. The hardest part of the job for me in the beginning of my employment was not understanding how to deal with clients who did not take their medication and how that made them act. Trying to explain how are services worked after the client was told incorrect information was very difficult because their patience on the matter didn't exist. It wasn't until I received training on how to deal with clients that fell into that category that I understood how to communicate better with them. The most enjoyable part of the job was letting someone know of the community that they were eligible to receive benefits that they didn't know they could get.
Great people
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 13, 2013
My typical work day while working at CUCS was always different. My regular work would always get put on hold to figure out past mistakes done by the AR before me. I learned Blackbaud systems while there through vigorous trainings. My co- workers were kind and helpful when they could be but most of the time I was on my own. The hardest part of the job was finding mistakes done by 2 previous AR who were there within such a short period of time. Enjoyable parts of the job were the people and the training i went through.
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: good learning experience working with a challenging population
Cons: pay
Very clinical base environment that was beneficial to self growth
great place to work and the employees are very friendly and helpful
Social Worker / Case Manager Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 7, 2012
I enjoyed working with the cleints by attending to their needs and helping them in anyway possible. Working at Center for Urban Community Services i have learned how to run groups and helped clients from various populations.
Peaceful Place to Work for
Healthcare Reform Analyst, Intern (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJune 14, 2012
Pros: free coffee, and chill people
Cons: located in a unsafe neighborhood
I interned during summer 2011. I learnt a lot about the healthcare reform.