CenterPoint Energy Employee Reviews

Center Point Energy is a wonderful distribution company.
Operation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXJune 21, 2017
For 25 years I work for this company.
My decision to leave the company after 25 years of experience thru the company was the most knowledge I have had in life.
Good Company, but changing
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 20, 2017
Some of the management is great! Others are not. The overall company is making large strides to become one of the largest natural gas suppliers in the country. The local leadership team needs training and personal management guidance.
Pros
Benefits, wages, some co-workers
fun workplace
Sharepoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2017
CenterPoint Energy is the leading electric and natural gas utility service company, with over 3.2 million metered customers in six states. Most enjoyable part of work.
Worklife
IT Sourcing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2017
Good company. Worklife and culture enhances ones outlook. Hardest part of job was the constant meetings. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
n/a
Work Order Processing Rep I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2017
Management is very cut throat and have that good ole boy routine. Minorities are ok as long as they don't complain about being harassed or mistreated. They will black ball and look for reason to fire you
great schedules, benefits starts imediately
Utility, Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2017
Great benefits, great work schedules, have options of mon-fri, or a 4x10 schedule meaning off 2 week days and 1 weekend day. Provide money for bus fair every month
Great work/life balance with good opportunities
Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2017
Relaxed work with great work/life balance and friendly culture. There are good opportunities to move up as long as you obtain your PE license. The benefits are definitely above average. The compensation is relatively low for engineers, and the management could do a lot more to generate productivity. People aren't really pushed to be better. Granted there is great job security and minimal stress, management could still strike a better balance towards productivity.
Great workplace
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXMay 22, 2017
Centerpoint energy was a great workplace. Being a meter reader was one of my most difficult jobs in which I had. I learned to work my on schedule and developed great customer service relations.
Relaxed and job security
Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2017
Great job security, but little room for management promotions.

Public Utility = not able to meet desired pay, but job security.

great for a starting position.
Pros
job security
Cons
management positions hard to come by
GIS Technician II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2017
I had the opportunity to learn ArcMap when it first came out. I met so many people from different backgrounds and I still keep in contact with a couple of them. The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Good place to work as long as your in the Union
Crew Leader A (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2017
Become a union member asap! The union employees are the best. Look to them for guidance. Read your union contract and work hard. Good benefits for you and your family.
Pros
Union
Cons
Bad management
Great Company to work for
Business Customer Hotline Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 10, 2017
Great Company to work for with excellent benefits - end of the year bonus. My hours are what I was looking for - Located in downtown Minneapolis right off the bus line
Pros
Bonus pay out at the end the year
Cons
Short breaks
Ok if your the settling type
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2017
Sounds good, looks good.. But its not good. They dictate your time off, even if you have it available to take, they dock you for every little thing possible. Give you points for using your sick pay, or forcibly taking the day off to handle business since they will not approve time off for you. Pretty much if you have a life this is not the place t work, if you depend on your finances for certain things.. This is no the place to work..They pay you low salary but expect you to be here doing everything. Its horrible, awful and nerve shattering. I could go on but .. I still work here.. Smh
Pros
Zilch
Cons
The company period
Good work life balance
Smart/Intelligent Grid Technology Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2017
A great place to work if you not into traveling and want to make it home to see your family every day. There is a good workplace balance. The only drawback is most people are there for 40 years and there are limited advancement opportunities.
Centerpoint
"Domestic Engineer" (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 1, 2017
I loved working there. I loved the work. I loved the people. Too bad they had to let me go over a medical issue. Others were let go shortly after hiring them from temp to perm.
Area Manager
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, TXApril 28, 2017
Started career as an entry level meter reader. Work my way up to mid management. In charge of a local office operations and supervised numerous employees.
Pros
In charge of Public relations
Cons
Job ended with restructuring
Great company to work for
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2017
have been there 15 years and have enjoyed it. The management is very flexible and allow employees to balance life and work as much as possible. Would recommend as an employer to anyone.
HOME SERVICE PLUS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2017
meet lots of people/ customers. great bank of knowledge excellent training. nice pay and take home van. hardest part of job would be mandatory overtime. seems like workload planning could be done better.
not good
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 3, 2017
A typical day at work you would go in and take calls, there is very unrealistic expectations of the role. also working in this role there is always another department transferring calls over to us when it is not something we support, about 8 out of 10 times it is the department that transferred the call supported the issue and nothing is ever done about the issue. Causing irritated callers when this is not needed. However in the site itself you work with very friendly people and make good friends.
It's worse than being a member of a brainwashed cult
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississippi, MSMarch 30, 2017
When I first started working at CNP, there were local offices scattered across the state. CSRs, a manager, a crew all worked in these offices. They had a sales floor showing off some of the natural gas products. The sales program was such that employees got rewarded for sales. You'd accumulate enough points to earn a free vacation. And that was how you afforded to go on your annual trip.

Except you went with your coworkers.

The company bred loyalty by keeping pay low and browbeat you into working overtime for free. It was for the greater good.

As time progressed, the company started to realize keeping branch offices open in every small,town, was a bad idea. So they closed these offices. You lost that sense of community because of it.

Now, the company will do anything to squeeze an extra nickel. Gone are the days where cuctomer service was the motivation. It's all about getting that nickel.

Yet, they still brainwash you into thinking that you, an employee, are valued. Oh, they serve lunch for free at the quarterly safety meeting....where an employee cooks you a cheap steak and you eat during the meeting where they roll out the latest cost savings measures and cuts. And as an employee, you buy into it.

They promote those that are the best at brainwashing others. If you are a free thinker, you will not do well here. The company needs yes men and yes women that will toe the line.
Pros
Steak at quarterly safety meeting
Cons
Expected to work massive overtime for free

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CenterPoint Energy. Our community is ready to answer.