CenterPoint Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced and challenging
Lead Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 10, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is there is a direct relation to the customer's we serve and there happiness with the company is very easy to measure.
Pros
great benefits and a growing company
Cons
a lot of moving parts within management
Tax Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
My experience working with Centerpoint was great. CNP has a good company culture as well as excellent benefits for employees. Also a big contributor to the community.
benefits
Cons
Long hours at times
Great company to work for
Senior Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 27, 2015
This is a very good company to work for and be a part of. Management is great and time and compensation is great. Hate the I got caught up in the company downsizing before I could advance.
Contract drafting for a Natural Gas Utility
CAD Tech / GIS Tech (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 31, 2015
I complete the state required permits.

I Edit their North Louisiana database of gas mains, services, valves, meters, regulators and other inventory to keep it up to date on the changes that take place in the field by the service techs and field personnel.

I work with engineers on designs for commercial and residential developments, based on projected usage.

I maintain the projects files for each engineer.

I Communicate with co-workers here and afar through phone, email, or communicator.

I am responsible for submitting land base changes called WOTS Errors as they are found. (Work Order Tracking System)

I create maps for marketing, engineers, 3rd party companies and municipalities.

I regularly communicate with the Louisiana DOTD for information on a specific project, as well as making sure I am up to date on the required forms.
Pros
Great People. Competitive pay
Cons
Contract work. No benefits
Great company!
Engineering Technician I (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 7, 2015
Great company, knowledgable people and family atmosphere. Work/life balance is excellent and the benefits are unrivaled by anywhere I worked before. Pay is less than some offer for the industry, but yearly raises and bonuses make up for it. Flexible schedules make it worth any downfall a person could find, which I never did.
Friendly environment
Leak Detection Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 16, 2016
I learned about the structure of union jobs. I learned a lot about natural gas lines, gas meters, and the nature of natural gas leaks. My co workers were friendly and a huge part in making the job so enjoyable. The activity level and the long hours at times made the job difficult.
Good Company
Gathering Tech II (Former Employee) –  Ridge, TXNovember 30, 2015
Good to work for. Good employees, Management was good, Learned a lot from training and leaders, Challenging and reward opportunity. Meet some good people and great co workers.
Pros
Great people, pay, bonuses, and benefits
hard work
Weblogic/DevOps/Build and Release Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2016
we had good support with the client and friendly with my management, but in project we had faced some typical times
and we give good productivity to the company
Relaxed and fun atmosphere
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2016
I loved my time working at CenterPoint Energy Services, Inc. I got along very well with my co-workers. It was a very relaxed and fun environment. There was some frequent change in management that did create some frustrations when trying to accommodate the different styles in management but overall the atmosphere was relaxed and fun.
Pros
Access to gym, floor in building with pool table and ping pong table
Cons
frequent change in management
Good solid company to work for, good benefits
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2015
Good solid company to work for, good benefits. I am at the top of my salary grade and wish to stay in the Administrative field with room for advancement.

Want to know more about CenterPoint Energy?

Ask a question
Customer Service Experience
CUSTOMER SERVICE/ TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 24, 2015
Attracts potential customers by answering product and service questions, suggesting information about other products and services.
Open customer accounts by recording account information. Resolves service products by clarifying the customer complains.
Determining the course of the problems, selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem expediting correction or adjustments following up to ensure resolution.
Maintains financial accounts by processing customer adjustments. Prepares product and analyzing customer information.
Pros
interaction with customers
Cons
management/ moving to other departments within the company
Excellent Company
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Multiple LocationsApril 20, 2016
A company with fast paced environments and excellent salaries/benefits. If able and willing, there were numerous relocation opportunities across multiple states. I worked for this company for almost 32 years and would still be there if not for the need to care for my elderly mother a year ago.
Pros
Excellent benefits and flex hours in certain positions.
Cons
More diversity training needed.
productive work place
CNG Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
I was in the field a lot but I was very busy and productive. even in bad weather the company made it a success to work and be productive, the ceo of the company was hands on
Pros
hours
Cons
selective off days
Overall Experience
Field Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 13, 2015
While at Centerpoint, I really appreciated the on-boarding experience that was afforded to me. I meet many fantastic and competent personnel that went out of their way to help new employees acclimate to company policies and the day to day functions of the work place.

Also, the entire Field Support Staff was a fantastic group to manage! The best place in the entire company!!
Pros
Great Leadership Team, Training, Salary, Benefits
Cons
Emergency on call...1-2 day per week, 1-2 weekends per month.
Pretty relaxed atmosphere and good job stability
Electrical Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2016
Nice place to work for in Houston if you're looking to stay out of oil and gas. Solid job stability and everyone gets to move around and experience all the different departments and groups within CenterPoint Energy.
Very easy job
WEEDEATER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 16, 2016
I would weedeat my assigned area
I learned how to cut trees down with a bumper
Very nice contractor
Very friendly co-workers
Working in the hot sun
Working out
Pros
BOSS PICKED ME UP AT DESTINATED LOCATION
Cons
HOURS VARIED
Decent pay
Senior Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2015
ok work place. pay is good. management is lacking. not much room to move into management. you will get on the job training.
fun work place
(Contractor), Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2016
very good company to work with its very active very friendly place to work at have good thinks to say for this company. its a good company very stable
Great company
Co-op Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 16, 2016
I learned a lot about power engineering. It is not as hand's on, but you do get a lot of experience with the software they use for relay protection.
It's a trap
Engineer (Former Employee) –  MISSISSIPPIJuly 21, 2016
You'll find common characteristics in the employees. Most are there less than a few years (newbies) or they have been there decades. So you go to work there. Pay is okay....you won't go broke, but you'll never be well off. Minimal COLA raise and small bonuses. The exempt employees are expected to work many more than 40 hours a week and they do it...because the spectre of unemployment keeps them in line. And the great thing about exempt employees is that you don't pay them overtime.

So you see managers doing jobs of front line employees to keep costs down.

Overtime is frowned upon.

Managers do all they can to keep costs down. They have had years to practice.

The good news is that if you are the "one"...the employee/engineer type that is groomed for management, you get to move around the country. You aren't kept at any one location for more than a couple of years, so you get good at moving. It's the fast track to moving up, because nobody ever quits. Meaning vacancies occur where somebody retires or dies. Occasionally, after a bad year, they will offer early retirement...opening up positions for promotions...if you are willing to move.

If you are not willing to move, you are trapped. Small raises and bonuses will be your reward.

I can't say I enjoyed my time there, but it beat going broke. Though, the low pay isn't much better.

If you are young, you have the potential for advancement as the workforce is aging and getting close to retirement.

At its worst, every few months there are mandates to cut costs. This is achieved by closing down
  more... offices, reduction of staff, voluntary retirements, reduction of benefits, etc. It's sad because the people that should be sent to the street are left in place because they bow to the will of the most senior management in Houston.  less
Pros
Reliable employment
Cons
When the mandate to cut costs is issued, you have no safety net

4.2