Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Employee Reviews

Great place to work for.
QA Automation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2015
Every day at work I have Meeting with my team for our project and we always get our project done before the deadline. In the software field, every day at work we learn something new. For example, Communications with your team. I have a good management that understand any situation in our project or we getting close to the deadline. I have a good team that we help each other in every project we want to get it done perfectly. The hardest part of my job is, when we getting close to the deadline and we have to double our shift. The most enjoyable part, is to finish your job in the right way without any stress or hard time.
Not fair to all employees
Office Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PaAugust 6, 2015
A bias place to work, under staff employees, such as secretarial was always overlooked to promoted to higher grade levels positions, or every though of for any type of grooming positions to help move them into better positions within the company. Supervisor's would hold them back, if you were a person of expertise in their work area.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Overlooked
Working for the CMS has been an invaluable experience
Acting Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 27, 2015
Working for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has been an invaluable experience because I assist with ensuring that health insurance coverage is more accessible and affordable to consumers.
High Stress With Only Personal Satisfaction Is Your Reward
HEALTH INSURANCE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  BaltimoreFebruary 19, 2015
Depending on your division and area of work, every day can be highly stressful. There is a lot of political pressure that consumes your work, especially when you're dealing with state's Medicaid programs that they put their own revenue into.

High level leadership is very knowledgeable but have to succumb to those political pressures or be forced out or downgraded. Lower level management, unless they have decades of experience within the agency, are basically just there to approve timecards and take notes at meetings.

Since there isn't much upward mobility for many people, staff level personnel tend to make themselves more visible, regardless of their knowledge, skill or credibility. There's also times where there is a lot of finger pointing and minimal accountability.

Bonuses for good performance are almost non-existent unless you are in a management or other high level position. In the 8 years I've worked at CMS, I received two bonuses, one was 1 percent of my salary at the time and the other was 14 hours of paid leave.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I'm helping Medicaid recipients receive the best services under their states' programs that we can provide. Sometimes you'll get a plaque from leadership to say thanks for your hard work. At the end of the day, turnover is high, especially in my division. When I started working in my division, we had 11 project officers. Only me and one other person are still standing, meaning everyone else has left the division and been replaced. We lose more every few months.

On the flipside, you might find a position
  more... that you really like here. There are plenty of people who have worked at CMS (formerly HCFA) for 20 years or more.  less
Federal Employer that ensured saftety and compliance
Principal Program Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2014
The agency was responsible for maintaining regulatory compliance of healthcare facilities.
Nice place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 31, 2013
Work life balance if good. Management is sensitive to work life balance.
Complex, Fast-Paced Environment
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 2, 2013
Working for CMS you will find that no two days are alike. That's due, in part, to the fact that a lot of the policies and procedures are very fluid and capable of changing at a moment's notice.

This is not as structured as an agency as its neighbors the FBI and SSA, but the people do try their best to deliver the critical health care services to the American Public.

The hardest thing about this job is that one can find themselves working on a project intensely only to have the parameters change so much that the original deliverable is obsolete. That is incredibly frustrating.

Don't expect thorough training or mentoring there. Things and people move so fast that no one has time to spend walking new hires through processes and procedures. You're literally told, "Oh you'll figure it out", and with a pat on the back, they're gone.

Meetings in the agency seldom end on time. They're almost bound to run over. The agency doesn't believe in a 60 minute meeting. With as many meetings as they typically have, it's very easy to spend your entire work day in meetings, leaving you virtually no time to catch up on work that's been piling up on your desk.
Pros
great facility, friendly co-workers, flexible work schedules, health-centered employee programs
Cons
overcrowded parking, constantly evolving initatives, poor training for new employees
Excellent job security
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 16, 2013
CMS if a great agency to work for; however, there is limited job advancement and limited access to VPN.
Analyst
Health Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 6, 2013
Good Job and I would recomend it to anyone lookng for a secure environment.
answering phone
San Angelo - Recovery specialist (Former Employee) –  San Angelo,TxMay 17, 2012
Answering phones,working on a computer and talking to people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Reviews by Job Title