Centex Homes Employee Reviews

Centex Personnel helps you develop a thick skin
Laborer Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TxJanuary 5, 2017
Working here I have build relationships with people I wouldn't normally communicate with. Every once in while work would be slow but when it picks up you can get the bills paid.
Pros
Safe working environment
Cons
Work not always garenteed
good learning expireance
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CADecember 6, 2016
Schedule subcontractors to perform work on new residential homes under construction. also I would meet with city inspectors to make sure that each subcontractor performs they're work according to city regulations,standards, and building codes.
Productive and easy going
Septic Installer (Former Employee) –  Kingsland, TXJanuary 3, 2017
CenTex is a good company to work for. The owner incorporates a friendly and well done job for every customer. Communication is great throughout everyone and makes the job easier.
Pros
Free coffee
Friendly
Superintendent & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 30, 2016
Had a terrific boss and mentor that taught me the best way to build a house on time and under and budget, even if we had to do some of the work ourselves to get it done.
Pros
Awesome homeowners
Cons
Picky homeowners
great place to work
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 26, 2016
Very professional and large company and room to move up. Lots of hard work but also plenty of good times to be had. Great management all around. Support from your team. Rewarded and compensated fairly.
Flexible
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIApril 30, 2016
Centex was a great company to work for, my managers mentored me and taught me great management skills. Unfortunately the company closed because of the real estate economy crisis in 2009.
Somewhat challenging place to work, with minimal benefits.
Construction Worker/Laborer (Former Employee) –  New London, CTJanuary 5, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this specific job was the opportunity to flex muscle at the job-site - on a consistent basis! Unlike other customer-service positions, Centex gave each and every one of us the benefit of "exercising" at work (while doing an admirable job, in doing so), thereby allowing employees to burn adequate calories, all the while generating quality work for our military peers.
Pros
Physical activity.
Cons
Minimal chance(s) for advancement.
Production
WALL STACKER (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXJune 5, 2016
Nice production work N good workers around me N making progress doing the job right N making the boss man satisfied N good work with people that are experienced in the next project we did its also great labor with the general labors that were hired at the time N great listeners N paying attention
My one and only time working for a National Company, Good, Bad and a little ugly, due to un-real goals/expectations.
Field Manager on Construction Site (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VADecember 1, 2015
Every day very intense, I loved the volume of production, equipment, suppliers, vendors, subcontractors ,sales , asso.s and homeowners all working w/our system and not complaining; being thankful and blessed for the skills to perform at a high level. Regretfully the multi leveled management element of a large company, there was a lot of back-biteing and egos not meshing for the GOOD of the team. After a couple years they closed the doors and were gone from the area, WOW!!
Company was sold to another
Vice President Architecture and Design (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 28, 2011
Great company to work for. Advancement and compensation were equal to other management positions with other companies
Pros
great environment, good for industry exploration
Cons
too many meetings, constant shuffling of management
Typical construction office
Customer Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 15, 2016
I worked here a decade ago so naturally all I can really say is that it was good experience for the jobs that followed. None of the people I worked with are still with the company. In fact, the company itself has moved to Dallas, I believe.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
This corporation was sold out to a smaller company which was contrary to what was promised to the employees.
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 8, 2015
The micromanaging was excessive. Your ideas were not considered important. It was sales driven by meeting expected quotas. You were "shopped" regularly at extremely busy times. Multitasking was central to each day in order to process contracts and greet the general public with multiple home tours every hour of the day.
Commissions were often reduced over a period of time.
Pros
The Sales Team was rewarded with group trips.
Cons
There was much verbal abuse from management.
Centex Homes
Permit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 29, 2015
A typical day at work was to put the paperwork together to get permits to build house from a great construction company. Follow up with the county to see if the permits are ready or not. Management was OK. The management in Tampa was easy to deal with, but the management in Sarasota were annoying and several supervisors wanted to micro manage people.
My co-workers were OK, everyone was busy performing their own work with no time to assist others.
Pros
free trips to different countries
Cons
too many chiefs, not enough Indians
Great work enviroment
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDMarch 18, 2012
Great place to work, Started as a sales representative and worked my way up to supervisor. Great place to advance your career. Great Compensation and benefits.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
working six days a week
Purchasing Agent
Purchasing Associate (Former Employee) –  Manalapan, NJAugust 13, 2013
Managed all purchasing functions. Evaluated and approved vendors, authorized purchase orders for goods or services.
Monitored quality issues, sales and volumes. Processed and expedited purchase orders on Raw Material, API Material, Packaging, and Services. Prepared and checked the accuracy of requisitions, reports, vouchers, invoices and purchase orders,
bid specifications and awards, quotations and other purchasing forms and materials. Identified and established long term supply agreements, such as insurance and risk management. Handled all asset and liability management issues
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Company downsized
Fast-paced, exciting environment with opportunities for creative input with new products.
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  South Carolina and coastal North CarolinaJuly 18, 2013
Created and administered $2 million ad budget and developed multi-media marketing niches for 8 residential communities. Online, I designed new micro-sites to brand individual communities under company umbrella site. Promoted these websites in multi-channel promotions and increased online traffic by 67%. I also managed a 3-person PR Dept as well as my 2 assistants. Worked with Interior Designers to merchandise model homes based on focus group studies and direct-mail surveys from market research I helped conduct.
Overall excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hou, WALOctober 14, 2013
Centex Homes great company to work as P/T adminstration assistant. However, as P/T there were no benefits, job security was offerred.
Great pladce to work
Field Manager III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2014
At Centex homes a typical day at work was have homes under construction and available for sale were all open before 8 am. Walk all homes for quality checks, production calls, and punch lists. I worked with a great team that were very knowledgeable and helpful at any given time. I enjoyed being able to help people with their dreams of home ownership, being able to work outside, and being able to live a comfortable life.
Pros
working outside, great people I worked with, great benifits
Cons
your subject to possible long commutes due to there may or may not have a neighborhood close to you
Family Oriented Company
Customer Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZ, 85255November 9, 2012
Amazing managers and co-workers. Well established company with great employee benefits, hours, and culture.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks, coffee breaks
National Sales Trainer
National Home Builder (Former Employee) –  Algonquin, IL, Dallas, TXJuly 21, 2015
Over a 7 year period, I advanced from a Sales Assistant in the field, to becoming a National Sales Trainer, managing a staff of over 30 employees. I was directly responsible for conducting a two week training program for all new hire employees, in addition to continuing education and performance evaluation. Sales call review, and classroom role play was a large part of my job as a sales trainer. The hardest part of my job was firing employees for lack of performance, or personality (did not work well with others) conflicts. The most enjoyable part of my job, was seeing my sales consultants succeed, utilizing techniques learned in training.
Pros
Finding ways to make text book learning fun and engaging for my students
Cons
Having to relocate to Texas, leaving all my friends and family in Illinois.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centex Homes. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2