Centra Health Employee Reviews

Excellent Care Every Time
RN III- Birth Center (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 31, 2017
Centra provides an environment focused to attention to detail, individualized care, and allowing patients to experience the best care in times of needs. Centra values employees, continuing education, and workplace environment.
Keep on looking
Transport (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJune 29, 2017
There were a many things I noticed at Centra that caused me to question the ethics of the upper level management. I'll specifically highlight one issue: managers were promoted because of who they knew or, in rare cases, just because they were good at their current jobs. They do not promote people based on how well they would work in their future position.

Additionally, I noticed that clinical staff at the hospitals have a higher amount of stress than clinical staff at the various offices and non-clinical staff in general. The work/life balance is hard when you can't go home on time because your department is grossly unstaffed.
I would not recommend Centra
Reception Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dawson Inn, Lynchburg, VAJune 23, 2017
Management lacks leadership skills, especially at the Dawson Inn, Centra's hospitality house. The current manager (2017) has no communication skills - it's either no follow-up and follow-through or you're being written up in a disciplinary action. Policies and procedures are changed by the manager with no notification except maybe one or two people are informed, not the entire staff. Upper level management, the director and VP, are ineffective in improving the manager's skill set and at times are not only enabling but assisting the manager's behavior. I would not recommend Centra as an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Earned PTO
Cons
Centra is unwilling to correct obvious inadequacies of lower level management
It used to be a wonderful place to work
Medical Transcriptionist III (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 31, 2017
When I first began working at Centra many years ago, it was a wonderful place to work. As years have gone by; however, it has become solely about money. They no longer care about employees and what is really sad, they no longer care about the patients. Many improper practices go on there on a daily basis and the patients are the ones who pay the ultimate price. Some of the doctors that they hire are extremely unprofessional, often talking rudely about patients and their family members as well as employees. The new CEO has hired people to "help him", who are the most arrogant and "not" knowledgeable about what they are doing, and of course care about the almighty dollar. It is no surprise that they cannot keep good help. I will avoid going there as a patient as much as I possibly can. They are "getting too big" for their own good and have lost sight as to why they are there, which is to HELP people.
Pros
Salary was not bad.
Cons
see above.
Centra Health Transcription
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 14, 2017
This was a part time position for me in the evening hours. Fortunately for Centra and unfortunately for the transcriptionists, technology has improved to the point where Centra installed a new system and the transcriptionists were laid off and the work sent elsewhere. I loved this job and would go back to it in a heartbeat. Wish there were more transcriptionist from home jobs available.
Pros
Work from home in the evenings
Cons
Improvements in technology phased out the job
Great staff and patients
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 11, 2017
This place has a great community and staff to care for all ages and cultures of patients. Like many healthcare organizations, there are growing pains and management changes that have been continuity for staff difficult.
Working at Centra
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 11, 2017
Hardest part about my job is that I don't have back up, that if I take vacation then I have to worry about my job. Then catch up when I get back. Best part about my job are the people I work with, the manager I have right now, is great, she listens to her employees and knows that life happens in a business some times.
Patient to staff ratio was inadequate
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 24, 2017
My time spent at Centra was a good learning experience.
My co workers and I were a team and worked well together.
Staff to patient ratio made the position very difficult at times.
nice place to meet new people
Technician I (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 20, 2017
I have learned to be more outspoken and open. There is really no hardest part of my job. It's a great place to work. The people are very friendly at times.
Demanding, pressure, focus on census, stressful
Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 19, 2017
A lot of great hard working, devoted, committed staff, the managers and upper leadership are deceptive, cunning, manipulative and hard to know who to trust. The hardest part of job is having support from management. The corporate ladder is very competitive and if the management see flaws in you, they set you up to fail so that they don't fall. They expect a lot but staff morale is very low, difficult to get management to listen and 'have your back." A lot of pressure on numbers and they seem to forget the comrade and relationships that need to be established before that happens. Happy, content staff produce good quality care, but that seems to be lacking in the mental health service lines. A very hard line to work in and it would prove beneficial to take this into consideration. A lot of turn over for this reason.
Applicants beware
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 19, 2017
Centra is not conducive to learning, staff was very set in their ways and things are done a certain way well, because "they've always been done this way."
Management wants only the bare minimum, just show up and do your job and leave early when not busy.
A lot of favoritism given only to certain staff members. Small town, small mindedness.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Dead end job
nice and dependable staff
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 10, 2017
steady workflow helping patients with brain injuries get better and stronger. It is a lot of physical work but rewarding.
Productive and fun place to work with
Patient Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 8, 2017
Learned a lot , management was knowledgeable.
Fast paced, productive company.
Worked with various billing documents and learned a lot from the working experience.
Excellent Work Experience
Radiology Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 2, 2017
My time at Centra Health has been incredibly informative and challenging. I was consistently given work that required mental and emotional preparedness. The moments shared with people that I had the pleasure to work with and meet are priceless. It was an memorable experience that will be hard to match in any other work environment.
Great company to work for
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 12, 2017
I have worked in the healthcare industry since 1998. After moving here to VA in 2005 from NY, Centra Health hired me on at the hospital in the Progressive Cardiac Unit.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
working short staff when employees call in sick
Not Supportive Leadership
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 31, 2016
Centra nursing staff in ICU is great, but if you are looking for a job in supporting areas such a respiratory therapy , radiology, and phlebotomy I would beware. Managers lack leadership skills, and professionalism. And if you are use to protocols and procedures these departments are not, and do not follow them.
I chose a career in the medical field because I love patient care. As a nurse I have seen unskilled respiratory therapist working in ICU area's functioning ventilators not knowing what they are doing. Education and skill level is sometimes unsafe. I have emailed manager staff regarding concerns, but no changes were made.
Pros
Close to Liberty University
Cons
low pay, education
Friendly woek enviroment
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 30, 2016
Great health care I've come across a lot of present an past patients ,and for the most part they are satisfied with there care and its only getting better with all the advance in medicine and the way they care for the patients in an around our community with all the different programs and centra owned facilities I can personally say health care at centra is were I would want my family to be.
Pros
Good schedules
Not what it seems
Nurse (Current Employee) –  LynchburgNovember 29, 2016
It is a very unpleasant place to work people will not speak walk right past you co workers are back stabbers management will not support you supervisor is a snake unless your part of the crew you can forget it
Pros
Patients n family
Cons
No togetherness
Good benefits and vast workforce.
Phlebotomist III (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 27, 2016
I worked for the lab. I spent a tremendous amount of time in the ER. Very interesting work environment. I learned alot about different types of personalities and people working here.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Will not hire smokers.
A family atmosphere. Loved the women I worked with. Very supportive
L and d nurse (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 9, 2016
I loved working here and felt that my position as a limbo nurse left me free to work the hours I wanted and have a personal life too.
What a great group of women in this unit.
Pros
Birthing babies
Cons
Sometimes no break.