Centra Health Employee Reviews

Not Supportive Leadership
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VADecember 31, 2016
Centra nursing staff in ICU is great, but if you are looking for a job in supporting areas such a respiratory therapy , radiology, and phlebotomy I would beware. Managers lack leadership skills, and professionalism. And if you are use to protocols and procedures these departments are not, and do not follow them.
I chose a career in the medical field because I love patient care. As a nurse I have seen unskilled respiratory therapist working in ICU area's functioning ventilators not knowing what they are doing. Education and skill level is sometimes unsafe. I have emailed manager staff regarding concerns, but no changes were made.
Pros
Close to Liberty University
Cons
low pay, education
Friendly woek enviroment
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 30, 2016
Great health care I've come across a lot of present an past patients ,and for the most part they are satisfied with there care and its only getting better with all the advance in medicine and the way they care for the patients in an around our community with all the different programs and centra owned facilities I can personally say health care at centra is were I would want my family to be.
Pros
Good schedules
Not what it seems
Nurse (Current Employee) –  LynchburgNovember 29, 2016
It is a very unpleasant place to work people will not speak walk right past you co workers are back stabbers management will not support you supervisor is a snake unless your part of the crew you can forget it
Pros
Patients n family
Cons
No togetherness
Good benefits and vast workforce.
Phlebotomist III (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 27, 2016
I worked for the lab. I spent a tremendous amount of time in the ER. Very interesting work environment. I learned alot about different types of personalities and people working here.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Will not hire smokers.
A family atmosphere. Loved the women I worked with. Very supportive
L and d nurse (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 9, 2016
I loved working here and felt that my position as a limbo nurse left me free to work the hours I wanted and have a personal life too.
What a great group of women in this unit.
Pros
Birthing babies
Cons
Sometimes no break.
Exciting, fast place of work.
Central Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 26, 2016
Centra is the best work environment I have ever experienced. The management team is indescribable, and the workplace is a constant fun atmosphere.
Very poor pay
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 11, 2016
I have worked at Centra appox a year I work there because I like to help people who need help but pay and the hours you work are terrible. We are always understaffed. Patient load is heavy and my experience the nurses DO NOT HELP the CNA's. They clearly know the patient needs something but will send for a CNA We just don't get appreciated .,, CNA's we are the backbone of nursing but looking at my paycheck and how much my back hurts. It's just not worth it !!
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Pay and lunches good luck finding some one to help you
Great benefits
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 23, 2016
Great opportunities for growth, Wonderful compensation and benefits package. Provides entry level opportunities for individuals who want to build a career.
Pros
Benefits package.
Cons
No set schedule for entry level.
No matter what you do it's never enough and experience is not valued
Emergency Department & Rapid Admit Unit RN (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 6, 2016
Unfortunately, experience and hard work are not truly valued. Especially experience. A piece of paper with initials on it is valued much more because to them (Centra) it makes look better and of course, it helps them keep their Magnet status! Unfortunately, many of the young nurses today coming fresh out of college with that piece of paper (degree) lack that experience that is so desperately needed and missing, especially from critical areas like the Emergency Department, and patients and their families are truly feeling it and talking about it more and more. I could go on about other things as well but there's no need to get into it really.
Pros
trying to make a difference in peoples' lives
Cons
everything else; rarely a break for anything
horrible place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  home health/hospiceJune 7, 2016
overworked
under paid
no room for advancement
horrible benefits
poor or no leadership with home health/hospice
discrimination
HR is a joke
company rules only apply to lower class employees

Want to know more about Centra Health?

Ask a question
Centra Health
LPN (Former Employee) –  FarimonT CrossingsMay 24, 2016
Good place to work its like a family at Fairmont Crossing. I left because I had children that were in sports and the job with the VA made it more flexible.
Great Company to work for
Mental Health Counselor/ Autism Counselor (Current Employee) –  Covington, VAMay 21, 2016
Great company to work for. All I can say is that management needs to re-evaluate the pay rate scale. At my salary I was barley able to live on my own. The income gap as well. I am a male and noticed that I was make for money that the teacher in my room for a short time.
Cons
Pay Rate
very stressfull
processor/ claims (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 18, 2016
don't like the level i'm in and it will not change, hard to move up with in this company unless you really know someone....
Don't Trust Anyone
Transport Services (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 18, 2016
=====================
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT
=====================

Stay away from hospital-based clinical positions. Otherwise, enjoy. I liked working for Centra, but I hated my individual department.

====================
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC
====================

I had a clinical position in Transport Services based out of Lynchburg. I started working there in 2013 and left in 2015. The department provided EMS services to Centra facilities and the occasional mutual aid call. The department has potential to be very successful; however, it will always be held back by fundamental issues.

First, half of the shifts have nothing to do with EMS. The department has two separate job duties: working on an ambulance and working on a wheelchair van. Everyone who works for the department has to have a state EMS license, but only the Lynchburg employees have to use the wheelchair van. This is a bad arrangement because no one spends good money on their certification to hook up wheelchair.

Second, ninety percent of the “calls” are non-emergency. You will literally be driving around providing absolutely no patient care on the majority of calls (except for a stand vitals check) as most calls are to take a patient to or from a nursing home.

Third, the management team is out of touch with reality. It consisted of a director, manager, and approximately eight supervisors. It was very clear to everyone that they only cared about the finances, company prestige, and not being bothered with problems. Employees were not relevant to them. On top of that, all of the management
  more... was hired because of A) technical talent as opposed to managerial aptitude or B) seniority. This creates a culture in which you aren’t appreciated and in which the company doesn’t even gain anything for it.

Fourth, the staffing situation is the worst I have ever seen. They offer so much overtime because they can’t recruit and retain quality individuals and the current employees don’t want to come in. (You can work twelve-hour shifts every day of every month if you want). You will quickly learn who calls out sick and who the money-desperate ones are. I showed up no less than ten times and was sent home because I didn’t have a partner. (Couldn’t they have told me before I got there?) You will get at least ten emails a day asking for people to come into work. I was even called twice while I was working to come in.

Fifth, they try to run this department like it is a fire department with actual EMS responsibility. Although some people say that you could expect it in an EMS field, you have no reasonable expectation to get off on time. Management reserves the right to hold you for six hours beyond the end of your shift against your will. While there are times where that would be appropriate, over 90% of the “calls” are non-emergency and thus don’t need to be assigned one minute before your shift ends (it happens very often) Additionally, you rarely got a lunch break. The company’s HR policy was that every employee scheduled to work an eight-hour shift was entitled to an unpaid thirty-minute break; however, my department did not recognize this.

Finally, dispatchers operated most of the control in the day-to-day operations. They have a status board that they are supposed to use to assign calls. We as front line employees could have done a better job dispatching by just listening to the radio traffic. They repeated sent ambulances to places to drop off a patient and to come back empty while sending an ambulance unloaded ambulance to the same facility to bring someone back. This will not change as the supervisor for this group is really entrenched in the bureaucracy of the hospital due to her extracurricular activities.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Toxic Culture
Monopoly
N/A (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg GeneralMay 3, 2016
Centra spends more time acquiring and building more facilities that it is ill prepared to staff than being concerned about its current employees. Quantity over quality. All departments are short staffed, staffed with new grads and travelers. Job security is a joke, even being so short staffed, people have been fired over not having their flu shot paperwork in on time. If you want a life outside of work, pass this one by. You will get calls everyday you are off to cover shifts. Don't assume seniority means anything to Centra , at any moment you can be tossed out like yesterdays trash. Management could use some training, most never had management experience before acquiring positions. One final thought, if you like to actually have some food available, if you do manage to get a lunch break, I would advise working first shift.
Great Place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 3, 2016
Great Place to work where the team works as a unit and acts like a family. You get exited about your job and helping others.
Externship
Phlebotomist Extern-LGH Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 2, 2016
Great externship site with lots of hands on training and experience. Collect samples from various units, transport to correct department for testing and also collected specimens from outpatient clinic
Pros
hands on, real life field experience
Cons
no pay, externship only
Case worker mcare/mcaid I
Case Worker MCARE/MCAID I (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 21, 2016
Centra Health's most under utilized resource is it's employees. There is so much talent and knowledge there but with managements poor high school dog eat dog mentality it is overlooked and ignored. The job itself was very interesting and stimulating but the poor work environment with management leading by fear made it a miserable work place. The employees are overworked and way underpaid for all that they do with passion.
Fair and reliable company
Clerical Worker (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAApril 16, 2016
I've worked here for the past five years and the best words to describe centra is fair and reliable. Seeing as it is a hospital, it's business is not really going anywhere and I have always felt secure in my job. I can always say that centra is a reliable job that I know I can come to every day.
A Great Place to Work
Rivermont Dan River Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAApril 6, 2016
I enjoyed working at Centra Health. I worked as a mental-health counselor. My co-workers were great! Pay is good and benefits are awesome.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Training to Restrain Clients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centra Health. Our community is ready to answer.