CENTRAL BAPTIST HOSPITAL Employee Reviews in United States

Understaffed Second Shift Lab
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  lexington, KYOctober 8, 2015
The lab receives a large amount of work from outside offices. The staffing is not sufficient to perform all the work and allow staff to get all of their breaks. It is a highly stressful place to work.
It's all changing
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 20, 2013
I have worked for CBH for over 10 years and have really liked it from day one. The people are great to work with and the company, until recently, has been extremely good to the employees.
With all the changes in healthcare at the time of this writing, there are internal changes that are greatly affecting the size of the staff and management, as well as the direction of the company.

Over these 10 years, CBH, and my department specifically, has fostered an environment of developing skills and has nurtured a cohesive, fun atmosphere with great employees that take their jobs and caring for patients seriously.

Through a vast array of experiences such as inventory management, equipment budgeting, software implementation, logistics, project management, and capital equipment buying, I have learned a variety of theories and best practices.

Overall, a great place to work but, again, with policy changes in place across the US, it's hard to determine the direction of the company for the future.
Pros
good to employees, encourages growth and development, well-established, serious about its mission.
Cons
policy changes have effected benefits, staff reduction, management and direction of the company has lowered morale as well as trust in the leadership, of course, that could change once the transition is complete.
Fun workplace
Inventory/Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 5, 2015
I loved working here. All of my employees were respectful and knew that I would always help them. I was promoted to management in under a year. .In order to do so, I went to speech therapy because of my E.KY dialect and had to change my way of dress. After perfect evaluations, I was let go because I got comitted to my partner and it was against their mission policy for being gay.
A great place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 26, 2012
Most days started off by getting lunch menus out so the patients could be served. Then processing different orders, talking to nurses, dietitians, and even doctors abt the changes to patient orders. Getting menus ready for dinner, processing more orders, and then finally getting all patient orders ready for breakfast. I learned that I loved my job. It felt great helping others, and teaching the patients what they could or couldn't have. Management was great most of the time. There were times when their orders changed within minutes, and was hard to keep up. My co-workers were great. each and everyone was willing to go 110%. Hardest part of the job was the stress. Being in a fast paced area, caused a few headaches. Enjoyment came from co-workers, and the patients.
Pros
helping others
Cons
short breaks
Pros & cons.
transporter (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 7, 2013
The work day consist of walking four to eight miles a day. Putting people in wheelchairs or sliding them on stretchers. Also doing things called lifts. This is when two or more will pick someone up out of a chair and put them back in bed. The people I worked with was the hardest part of my job. Many are young inexperienced workers who will not fulfill assigned tasks. The patients and family that I helped was the best. If it was a major undertaking or a small laugh that made one of them feel better, the most enjoyable part of the job was in that.
Pros
good ins. benefits.
Cons
cry baby, lazy employees.
Great place for employment as a whole
OB/ Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Lexington. KYJuly 7, 2011
The only problem I had with the company was a misunderstanding about a death in the family that someone that had nothing to do with myself or the family reported the wrong information and they were good friends with the management and we didn't seem to get along to well. So therefore whatever the person reqported that wasn't true there was no way I could get corrected so I resigned at that time from a great job and position that I wish I had never left .
Productive and fun place to work
Histology Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 30, 2015
Central Baptist is by far my favorite place that I have ever worked. I wish I had never left. The doctors and staff were all nice and easy to get along with.
Pros
Fun Staff
Cons
Working weekends
Productive and fun work environment
PROCEDURE SCHEDULER (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 22, 2012
A typical day at work is to answer phones, return patient calls, fax and file paperwork, and schedule procedures ordered by doctors. The management and co-workers are absolutely amazing. Building relationships with patients is the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest is learning all the procedures and how and when to schedule them.
Hard but Alot of fun...
Sterile Processing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 26, 2014
I learned how to deal with demanding doctors and nurses, What to do when dealing with different dangerous diseases. My supervisor was really cool and fun to work with. I enjoyed working with all of my co workers we always had so much fun and there was a lot of laughter. Which is always good when you have to deal with alot of fun. The hardest part of the job was making that everything got steralized on time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the great atmosphere that we had. Which the hard part easy to deal with.
Pros
getting to learn about all the different instruments that are used in surgery.
Cons
what time i got off.
I enjoyed working there.
Admission Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 7, 2014
I arrived at work at 6:30 in the morning. I had several patients who would come in before work or school. I then entered the PKU's into the computer, and got those ready to send to the state. I would have out patients thru out the day. I would register outpatients, order their test, and then draw their blood. I also answered the phones for the whole laboratory, and would connect with the department that they needed. I would register the pathology surgery specimens.
Pros
my patients, my coworkers we were more like family than coworkers.
Cons
too many call ins, leaving people short making patients wait times longer
Baptist Lexington Physicians
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 2, 2012
Answering phones, Scheduling every exam ordered by the Doctors, faxing Chemotherapy orders, while scheduling patient appointments and checking in/out a patient every 15 minutes, very busy, it got to the point that employees had a hard time of even taking a 10 minute break.

I learned that patient care shouldn't be ran like a factory or assembly line. It broke my heart not being able to even smile at patients who were going through cancer, because I was so busy. It was an overall bad experience.

The management was a incompetent; Two office managers for fourteen employees at the time. For example: We had a worker injured at one point and a fellow employee and myself had to instruct the office managers how to deal with the situation. It also took two of them to sort daily mail, while three workers tried to keep up with the patient flow, it was overwhelming and plain disgusting the lack of positive leadership, I felt sorry for the other workers when I left. I was gave a $50.00 bonus for my service and hard work to the company and fired a week later, just an example of the place.

My coworkers were all great, we laughed and joked and working in a Oncology office, is pretty depressing but we tried to make the best of it.. However, you are limited with overwhelming patient flow/work and bad management, makes a rough/long day.

Hardest part of the job was unrealistic expectations that they provided for the workers in the front office and even the doctors, every aspect was so fast paced and detail oriented it was just a mess. If you mess up a patients chemo therapy, obviously it's a
  more... huge issue, one that I wouldn't want if I was an Oncology patient! They needed more structure and employees to make that office run efficiently or at least decent.

The most enjoyable part was when patients didn't have to return for 3,6,9 months or even years. Seeing them beat cancer and go through the process was always stressful on us as employees, obviously some patients do better then others and some do not survive. However, I felt like I was making a difference in helping the patients, even if the patient to doctor ratio was outrageous. Also, staff would always go to dinners together sponsored by the drug reps, so It was good bonding time out side of the sad side of the job.
Pros
support staff, helping people fight cancer!
Cons
management, patient flow, unrealistic expectations
great place to work
Registered Nurse on 3 (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 21, 2012
I love working at CBH but am looking for something new. They provide good benefits and the people I work with are great!
Busy, high turnover in staff
Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 22, 2013
Worked 7a-7p; Typically cared for 5 cardiovascular patients and their families; ACLS and telemetry certified. Monitored own telemetry strips and notified doctors of changes. Learned to recognize changes in patient status and to quickly implement changes of care to support their needs. Worked mostly with wonderful, caring staff, however turnover seemed frequent. Some days patient care was hard and overwhelming, yet other days it was most rewarding!
Pros
caring for cardiovascular patients
Cons
work overload; little support from coworkers
I hated almost every day that I worked there
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 17, 2014
Central Baptist was the worst job I have ever had. Management was awful, but most of my co-workers were OK.
Professional and productive place to work.
Radiology Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 10, 2012
I really enjoyed working at Central Baptist Hospital. Mostly enjoyed helping all the patients. Most employees were very helpful and friendly along with my co-workers. The hardest part of my joy was wondering what happen to some of my out-patients when they no longer can back for follow-up testing. The best part of my job was when they would just stop by with great news about their health. I miss my job at Central Baptist.
Pros
free parking in a garage and earning a free meal
Cons
short breaks
Excellent employee environment, excellent learning environment.
Registered Nurse/Preceptor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 20, 2012
Loved working here, Enjoyed the acuity and diversity of the patients. I had patients with IABP's,did CVVH and mixed multiple hemodynamic drips for patientsd with multiple invasive lines and monitors. It was an exciting and challenging environment.
Pros
pt acuity and challenging learning environment.
Cons
none! miss this job everyday, great staff! had to move due to parebts illness, to get closer to them.
A good place to start hospital experience
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 28, 2014
I worked here as a pharmacy technician and loved my job. I was able to balance work and full time college and learned a great amount about hospital pharmacy.
This experience led me to the decision of becoming a hospital pharmacist.
Pros
great staff
Cons
have to work weekends and holidays
Supportive and challenging to staff
Staff RN Critical Care (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 12, 2012
maintained high standards for employees
did not lose site of the individual
Rewarded staff when job well-done
progressive with EMR
Also started computer skills with the McKesson product and implemented computerized clinical documentation
Rewarding hospital to work for
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 19, 2014
A typical day involved working 7p.m. to 7 a.m. I would start each shift by receiving report on the patients I was assigned, passed medications, provided additional treatments necessary depending upon the patient's condition, completing a head to toe assessment on each patient, doing admissions, providing patient and family education, monitoring patients throughout the shift to ensure their comfort and to assess any needs which arose, periodically acted as charge nurse, completed required documentation, contacting physicians as needed and following through with any orders received. Not on a daily basis but frequently would prep a patient for surgery or a cardiac intervention, would respond to codes, would attend mandatory in-services and staff meetings. It was my first position as a new RN and I learned a lot about various medications, their side effects, and how to properly administer them. I became proficient in such things as starting IV's and foley catheters. I became ACLS certified. I learned a lot about various cardiac conditions: what causes them, how the patient can be proactive in preventing recurrences of symptoms, how they are treated, and what could happen if patients are noncompliant with treatments/medications/the appropriate life style or if necessary interventions weren't performed in an emergency situation. I was in-serviced on several interventions that RN's could perform. I learned the importance of team work and helping all staff, regardless of the discipline. I learned how to use various types of equipment and steps to take when equipment wasn't working right.  more... I learned to treat each patient as an individual who required care and compassion. I learned the importance of patient confidentiality. And I learned the appropriate way to communicate with families when a patient passed away. Despite it being many years since I worked there, I remember most of my co-workers to be team players and willing to help each other out. Seasoned nurses would often provide me with various opportunities to improve on a skill, on how to pass medications within the time allowed, and in general how to be an effective and compassionate RN in order to provide quality care. I had little contact with management, because of my shift, except for the house supervisor. My unit manager was very helpful and educational when conducting staff meetings and was very professional. The house supervisors always responded promptly to the unit when needed and also were very professional and did their job well. The hardest part of the job, aside from working night shift, was attending patient codes only to find the patient pass away despite all of the interventions provided. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction I felt due to being a compassionate and caring nurse and finishing my shift knowing I did the best job I could to provide the care necessary. I also very much enjoyed providing patient and family education, as well as the education I received from various in-services. I had the opportunity, after being an RN a year or so, to precept new RN's which I extremely enjoyed  less
Pros
free meals on holidays prepared my management, many opportunities for additional education, on-going education in those areas that required it, friendly staff who were always willing to help others
Cons
working night shift
Great work
Perfusion Assistant (Former Employee) –  lexington, kyAugust 26, 2013
transport patients to the rooms or the vehicles. Work with wonderful nurses. Pay was great and met a lot of interesting people. move up to a perfusion assistant. Where i work with a cell saver machine the filter the blood to put back into the patien

4.3