Central Connecticut State University Employee Reviews in United States

Love being able to pass on my knowledge to students
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTApril 19, 2016
I love that Central gives graduate students the opportunity to teach undergraduates in lower level courses. It gives us a taste of just how much work goes into teaching just one course and renders a new level of respect for all my past professors.

Teaching here has helped diminish my fear of public speaking, taught me how to organize a curriculum, develop my own lesson plans, and manage my time both in and outside of the classroom. I would highly recommend this job to anyone given the opportunity. I wish I had started sooner in my graduate career as it has helped me become a better student and young professional.
Good job in College
Senior Support Technician (Former Employee) –  New Britain, ConnecticutFebruary 17, 2015
I worked this job during college for my co-op and as a student.

I learned most of my technical skills from this job.

We were given customer service training on a 6 month to annual basis.

We also had departmental outings for people to meet each other and learn team building skills.

My coworkers were always enjoyable as I met other students regularly and was mentored by many experienced staff.

My management staff often gave us awards for customer service. Paid for our training, gave us time to learn and often gave us at least annual raises.

Our CIO at the time would very rarely refuse staff or faculty service for treating the staff poorly if he deemed it appropriate.
Pros
management, salary, training, coworkers
Productive and fun workplace
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 4, 2016
A typical day - go into the office and check voicemail and email
then go to the info session and introduce myself and give the tour
I have learned to do lots of public speaking and customer service
Management is great and very flexible.
There was no really hard part of the job what i enjoyed most of the job was to be able to network
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
walking about 5 miles a day
Good educators work well with what they are given
Biomolecular Sciences (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTMarch 19, 2016
The school is good, the community is tight knit and mostly all of the educators there are great at what they do. Occasionally their funds are limited and it can affect their ability but I was often impressed by how well they worked with what they were given. Overall a great school.
Pros
Great teachers
Cons
Occasionally limited funding
not enough teaching hours
Adjunct professor (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 7, 2016
Pleasant environment for teaching foreign languages. The head of the Foreign Language Department at that time was wonderful.
Pros
Motivated students
Cons
Not enough students
Great school that allows for individual growth
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTJanuary 18, 2016
Everyday that I attend the school and participate in research is informative and makes me use my problem solving skills. Weather the situation calls for a new process of extracting DNA or figuring out how to make a sample pure the sky is the limit.
Pros
Working in a Lab
Cons
Time limits for lab use
One of the best schools in the Connecticut State system in terms of support, student participation, and appreciation for our efforts.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 17, 2015
For more than 19 years, I taught two courses per semester in general communications. The large classes (more than 40 in each) were definitely a challenge, but the students reacted eagerly to the variety of communication techniques I introduced, from group work to speeches.

CCSU was a great learning experience in that it taught me that virtually every student was there because they were eager to enhance their communication skills. Great experience!

Management was very much involved and concerned about our progress and that of our students. They were always ready to help and provide advice.

Teaching such large classes was a challenge, since it was not possible to give individual attention. However, through the mechanism of student-to-student interaction in the various exercises, a cohesive bond was formed among them.
Work Study
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTNovember 12, 2014
Answering office telephone calls
Entering Admission’s Office data into the computer system
Filing necessary paperwork
Sorting mail and sending out acceptance and rejection letters to prospective students
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no benefits
Nothing Special
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTSeptember 23, 2015
Just an average office job working for my school. I was responsible for misc.clerical work. I didn't learn too much from the staff nor the management. I wouldn't say too much more about this place.
Pros
easy work
Cons
unfulfilled job
Internship
Undergraduate Assistant, Career Services (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJanuary 23, 2014
Reviewing transcripts for college students. Planning career fairs and assisting director with planning reports and data collection.
Pros
lunch and spring break
Cons
benefits, work hours, and work load
Positive experience
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 18, 2015
Typical day includes having one on one appointments with advisees. Each day at work has some common elements, but there are differences, as all individuals and their course loads are different. Staff is professional and easy to work with.
Pros
Professional and educational environment
Cons
Limited opportunities for full time permanent employment
Productive and fun workplace
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 20, 2015
I just worked as a work study position but I miss working there. I learned a lot about clerical work. Fun work place with supportive staff.
Productive working place and a great place for learning on the job experience
Purchasing Card Auditor in Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 10, 2013
Everyday I would audit as many purchasing cards as I could and the e-mail the cardholders what still needed to be done with the audits in order for them to pass. I would then follow up with them a couple of weeks later and check on their progress.

I learned how to work independently while I was there. I also learned how to communicate both good and not so good news to people.

Management and my co-workers were fantastic. If I had any questions, they would always be willing to answer. They were really great at making me feel welcome.

The hardest part of the job was figuring out the best way to communicate to people. I was considered a student worker and in the beginning the cardholders would not take me seriously. Eventually I was able to earn their respect and build relationships with them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with. Without them I would have never garnered the confidence to show my full potential.
State Job Epitomized
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTMarch 27, 2015
If you like doing nothing and being surrounded by people competing to do even less, this is the place for you. No room for advancement, but almost impossible to get fired as the same time.
Fun and friendly environment
Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMarch 10, 2015
All employees would work together with a unified goal of helping students understand tutored subjects better.
Often tutors would switch students mid-session, in order to try a different explanation method, which worked phenomenally.
The satisfaction of helping students understand the topics was incredible.
Assistant Football Coach/ Defensive Quality Control Coordinator/ Video Coordinator/ Assistant to the Special Teams Coordinator / NCAA Certified Recrui
NCAA Assistant Football Coach/ Certified Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMarch 26, 2014
•Responsible for player development, facilitated daily staff meetings, prepared detailed analysis of opponent’s strategy to create defensive game plans, managed game day operations of the special teams units, prepared game/practice videos for review by coaching staff and team players.
Pros
competitive work environment
Cons
110 hour work weeks
Good for new workers
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJanuary 9, 2015
This job was good for me because it helped me get through my Master's program and it has introduce me a new side to the athletic world. I never though working in recreations was going to be just like working in athletics. It was a positive experience. I still wish there was a full-time position for me because this job fit me the best.
Herb Holden Trucking
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 8, 2014
The company had been honest with me. They treated me like family. At the time, I needed a group of men to tell me that I was too intelligent to be working in a dead end job; and that I should go to college. I have alot of respect for the company and the management personnel.
Thoroughly stimulating and educational environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  New Britain, ConnecticutAugust 6, 2013
A typical day consisted of market research, data collation and dissemination on numerous elements including international businesses and state and municipal government statistics

The hardest part of the job was organizing the massive amounts of collected data into easily understandable narratives to be presented to state legislature for various state initiatives requiring funding.
Great Experience
Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJanuary 28, 2015
I booked all of the necessary things needed at events (food, technology, etc) for student groups and department events.

4.4