Central Garden & Pet

Central Garden & Pet Employer Reviews

A nice place to work
Director of Engineering (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 16, 2014
Company is improving and is a good place to work. Challenging tasks with rewarding compensation
good company to work for always something to do,
Territory Manager (Former Employee), charleston south carolinaJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: never a boring day.
Cons: weekend work.
A good company to work for always something to do that being said it sometimes leaves you little time for family.
Great teamwork between all shifts and departments.
General Manager (Former Employee), Mahwah, NJJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: great associates
Cons: could of had better communication from corp level.
Though it’s probably clear from my resume, I must highlight my affinity for working with many different types of people in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. I welcome change and do believe that my ability to relate to and motivate many different types of employees and peers has helped me succeed in some very challenging environments.
great place to work
order puller/down stocker (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 19, 2013
Pros: free fish tanks
this job is so cool and a great place to be. it kept me away from trouble and i met good friends too.
n/a
Project Manager/Financial Analyst (Current Employee), 07734December 4, 2013
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
The left hand didn't know what the right was doing.
designer (Current Employee), atlanta, gaSeptember 25, 2013
Working here was just ok, I felt as though being a contractor I was always isolated from team meetings and projects that eventually lead to a poor view of myself and another because they felt as though we weren't "team players." Also I felt as though management was very disconnected from what was going on - there was a lack of communication and organization – more... which lead to missed deadlines and overall poor view of the creative department. – less
No Benefits, No real compensation, Use of your own vehicle with no sort of reimbursment
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CASeptember 23, 2013
Cons: everything
Start when you want to but your told where you got to go and they don't plan routes properly. You learn nothing cause they stay with you a week and then you are on your own. Poor Poor management. Hardest part is to no resign your first week. Did not enjoy this job at all
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Laurel, MDAugust 19, 2013
Pros: working outside
Cons: no
Utilized active selling techniques working with vendors such as Lowe’s and Home Depot. Travel to each store for down stocking, display set up and maintenance, reset display as needed for visual impact. Also responsible for greeting the in store customer and providing immediate buying solutions. Work to consistently provide the best service to both vendors – more... and their customers. Promote product brand and new solutions throughout assigned territory. – less
Great Family Like Atmosphere
Forklift, warehouse labor (Former Employee), Algona, WA.August 7, 2013
Pros: benefits ie if you own a pet your cost for food etc will go away
Cons: plain hard work
I usually drove a forklift all day while getting orders ready for the night crew. Help drivers with orders and anything else that was needed. I learned all about pet supplies, including food, fish tanks, etc.

I got along with everyone very well. People work as a team there and for the most part everyday is smooth.
Hardest part of the job is being on – more... your feet all day. You do get used to it.
Most fun I had was the benefits of working there by getting a super discount on items that they sold. – less
It is NOT a career, it is a job. No opportunity.
Customer Order Specialist (Former Employee), IdahoAugust 2, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: no opportunity for advancement, it is a job not a career.
I had to post another review because it mirrors my feelings and I could not say it any better:

Great co-workers, but the new Service Center is a joke. Low pay, no raises for 16-18 months for new employees....be forewarned! Understand now why they chose Boise....so they can pay junk wages. Benefits are based out of California and are horrible for Idahoans.....and – more... expensive. Management only concerned with trying to make the 'higher ups' at corporate think all is going good when in fact at least half of the current employees are looking for other employment.
Employees are treated as non-entities, and are talked over or ignored by supervisors and managers. Definitely not what was told to us during the interview process.

If you do make the choice to work there negotiate your pay. – less
Accounts Receivable (Current Employee), Boise, IDJuly 31, 2013
Pros: opportunity, great upper managment, great training.
Work in Accounts Receivable at the Boise Service Center. Has been a great place to work. Great benefits and leadership. Great opportunity for advancement. Good home balance. The company is growing and making great changes to benefit the customers as wellas the employees. Wages are fair and managment gives good feedback. They care about your progress – more... and check in to make sure your comfortable with how your career is advancing. I reccomend this Employer to all. – less
One of the WORST companies to work for
Accounts Payable (Current Employee), BoiseJune 6, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: everything else
Company seems to only care about their management team. Employees are just a number and they aren't concerned about the workload, pay, the cost of the insurance employees have to pay (which is a LOT) and not great insurance benefits. The A/P Supervisor is the worst!! She is manipulative, treats everyone like we are 5 years old. You know the type, talks – more... down to us,extremely controlling, cold, unfeeling, answers questions with a question, and manipulates her managers into believing she is doing a good job. She kills any moral the employees had to begin with. After many, many complaints to upper management and the headquarters, she is still here. All of the A/P dept. is looking for another job. And they still don't get it.....
You will be very sorry to come work here. – less
Run away
Vice President (Former Employee), Walnut CreekApril 19, 2013
Cons: the company.
Horrible company. The worst management I have ever worked for.
Just let go over 50 people, some had only been there 3 - 6 months. No vision.
High potential organization with poor leadership and vision
Sales Exec (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CAApril 8, 2013
Decent brands, but poor vision, leadership and business acumen to implement and execute best-practices to innovate, grow brands, build market share and drive profitable growth.
Central Garden & Pet
Customer Marketing Director (Current Employee), Walnut Creek, CAApril 4, 2013
Pros: opportunity to learn and work under fire
Cons: the place is a mess, there is no vision and no investment
Central Garden & Pet is a company that wanted to change and evolve but simply has not been able to do so. Multiple changes in leadership, good brands without investment and organization chaos speak to why the market capitalization is only about 25% of annual revenie.
Decent Place to Work
Customer Service Representative/ Sales Support (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 1, 2013
Pros: family friendly, good employees
Cons: upper management was totally unapproachable.
Very busy and challenging.
Learned many useful skills eg. Excel
Co-workers were wonderful.
Family atmosphere with co-workers who care deeply about animals and their health.
Graphic Designer - In-house Advertising Agency (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 25, 2013
I was given the opportunity to learn many different computer programs and methods of doing my job, which allowed me the chance to advance from Typesetter to Graphic Designer. My co-workers were the best, working together to meet deadlines on time and accurately. My supervisor was supportive and trusted me with time-sensitive projects that required attention – more... to detail and accuracy. – less
They do not care about the 'little people'
AP (Current Employee), Boise, IDMarch 1, 2013
Pros: peer bonding is great
Cons: pay, management, benefits
Great co-workers, but the new Service Center is a joke. Low pay, no raises for 16-18 months for new employees....be forewarned! Understand now why they chose Boise....so they can pay junk wages. Benefits are based out of California and are horrible for Idahoans.....and expensive. Management only concerned with trying to make the 'higher ups' at corporate – more... think all is going good when in fact it's about to fall on its face with at least half of the current employees looking for other employment.
Horrible place to work....strongly advise you to keep looking. – less
Beware
Territory Manager (Former Employee), NEFebruary 20, 2013
Cons: too many to list
Unrealistic Expectations-Cover 50 stores with the help of 2 part time people with the expectation of each store being Grand Opening Ready. Receive emails at 2:30 am and then a phone call at 7:30am asking why you haven’t answered it.

Micromanagement-Make a monthly schedule to cover accounts only to have DM tell you not to cover the farthest ones away. – more... Then receive a phone call to go to the farthest (250 miles) one away to give credit for 1 flower pot and be berated because you haven’t been there.

Expect to lose your garage space. They ship the seasons worth of POS material (3 pallets) and expect you to store it for them. Complain enough and they might approve a storage unit-which they will reimburse after you lay out the $.

Mileage reimbursement- New "fair" system works out to 39 cents a mile.

Crisis of the day mentality, Joke of review system (Bell Curve 3% at top), Bonus structure that is unattainable, Can't fire part timer that you catch sleeping in his car, Expectation of 15 hour days when a boss is in town, Make 20k less than competition and do 150% more……………… – less
Terrible Employer
Merchandiser (Former Employee), NE USAJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: can't think of one.
Cons: refer to the review
Poor management, no benefits, and a pittance for travel expenses. A part-time job with full-time expectations. Expect multiple 'crises of the day' with inventory and display demands.

Management consists of 'ne'er-do-wells' that are anxious, reactionary and without regard to the human element of business.

You'll also be expected to try to secure display – more... space (although that's a territory manager's task), perform a LOT of grunt work, (refer to the entry of the guy cleaning grass seed pallets) and be constantly monitored and berated.

Sounds like sour grapes, but I've put three years into this job, demonstrated a good work ethic and profitable results. I finally quit when there was yet one more 'crisis' put on the workload by an arrogant, obnoxious, and reactionary manager. – less

About Central Garden & Pet

Central Garden & Pet is happy to help with both pets and pests. The company is among the largest US producers and distributors – Read more