Central Garden & Pet Employee Reviews in United States

Stayed away
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  western paFebruary 10, 2016
Management is like working with 7th graders. Most of the day is childless bashing of the competitors. If you like beating up your on car do this job. they pay mileage only after your drive the first hour is on you or 60 miles. pay is 12.00 hour and you get 2.00 hour to cover gas tolls and a higher insurance rate since you are using your car for business. 10 month for cell phone use
Pros
freedom to start at differant times in the am
Cons
poor uppermanagement poor attitude
Great company with amazing products and people
Sr. Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I would highly recommend Central Garden & Pet to anyone passionate about great products and working with terrific people.
Pros
Wonderful People
Cons
Can be risk averse but very solid company
Worst Company Ever.
sales (Former Employee) –  Neptune, NJJanuary 25, 2016
This is a company that on the outside, holds itself out to be a bona-fide corporation, complete with the lofty goals and values of a real company.

Should you be hired, you'll quickly find out that on the inside, it is nothing more than a high school mentality farm-team wannabe company, rife with office politics, gossip, favoritism, inequality, nepotism, unfairness, zero advancement, and all manner of other office BS.

Kiss management butt big time at this company, and you'll go far.

Think independently, and your days are numbered.

You've been forewarned.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Warehouse Work
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 18, 2016
I cannot think of anything about this specific position that I enjoyed. The economy was bad and I needed to pay my bills and care for my children.
The hardest part of this position was the long late night hours 10-12hr shifts and the warehouse is so very cold.
Pros
Friday evenings off.
Cons
worked Sunday evenings.
Excellent Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Jamesburg, NJOctober 24, 2015
Central Pet is an awesome company. My work days are always very busy which makes the time fly. Our Managers are very diligent focused people who make sure that we are on task, daily. They are always available for questioning or to help when help is needed. The phones are very busy and email inbox is constantly full of orders, credits, returns, etc. I support two Sales Reps / Territory Managers who are amazing. Our territory is upstate NY, Long Island and Queens. Central manufactures and distributes pet supplies.

The benefits are awesome, however, the salary and wage compensation is not great.
Pros
Flexible lunch schedules..
Cons
Salary and wage compensations
A Great Work Enviornment
General Warehouse- Operator (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MASeptember 24, 2015
No room for advancement, Co-workers were enjoyable, longevity, a great starting for where I want to be in career wise, Variety.
Wasnt any potential advancement
Machine Operator II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 16, 2015
Had the skills but wasn't giving the opportunities to show my skills. Management wasn't the to help you grow, where left alone on weekends to make decisions and produce product.
Relaxed place to work
Assistant Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Allowed the chance to lead a group of employees of different cultural backgrounds
Great company
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Madison, GADecember 29, 2014
I loved this job - close to home and it was a family environment. I hated that I was Laid off but they worked really hard to keep us on as employees. It was a wonderful job. I will miss it
Good learning experience.
Material Handler/Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIDecember 14, 2014
Company was nice to work for, but job security was a definite downfall.
Pros
the experience was educational.
Cons
new management was brought in and morale went down.

Want to know more about Central Garden & Pet?

Ask a question
Great brands but management is in flux
Regional Strategic Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) –  Chilton, WINovember 12, 2014
Central Garden & Pet encompasses many well known, powerful brands. Individually these are good companies but they are currently held back by the confused organizational structure. They admit they messed it up and state they're committed to fixing it. They probably will but short term I'd steer clear.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
no top level direction
horrible environment and management
accounts receivable (Former Employee) –  IdahoOctober 25, 2014
Supervisor that I had only became supervisor due to them moving him from Washington. Horrible management. Workload too much for one person with unrealistic deadlines. Stay clear
Pros
other employees
Cons
bad management to high workload and unrealistic deadlines
Worst company ever!!!!!
Supply mgr (Former Employee) –  AtlantaOctober 10, 2014
Didn't learn anything. Horrible management. Products are wayyyyyyy overpriced!!!!!! Do not buy Amdro, Pennington. RIPOFF!! Horrible subordinates and team members. No one will help you when you need it and will backstab you. SAP launch was a disaster. Employees were temps right off the streets and had no clue. The seasoned employees were rude and didn't know anything either but pretended like they knew everything.
Fighting a battle every day with employees and management.
Meetings were junk. Would prepare S @OP review for supply-chain people and took a week to do the thing because systems are so archaic. Never had time to analyze anything because too busy spinning wheels. SAP is not for this co.
Pres. and CEO both fired. Tons of layoffs. No job security.
Management has no backbone for their people.
Better off working for any other company but this one. Don't do it!!!!!
Find a better company or do contract work but definitely not for this company. Pay is awful!!!!!!!and so do benefits. No discount on the products either. But no loss. Scott's is wayyyyyyyyyy better.
No one's even heard of this worthless company.
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!! Worst 5 yrs ever. Just stayed that long for a paycheck nothing else. Was a working boss for chump change until I could find something better.
Save your sanity and do not work for this sinking ship. The Company is about to go down under as well. Just look at the stock price.
Cons
everything

Comment – October 16, 2014

Great review! Very well and clearly stated. No lies in this review. Do not work at that sinking ship. I had the same experience. Very happy to have left.

Comment – November 2, 2014

Laying people off left and right and then reposting SAME job. Don't work here. You will regret every minute of it.

Comment – November 11, 2014

No one working there is happy. Just there to collect a paycheck. Benefits are TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!! Very expensive. Everyone working in the Atlanta office complains about their jobs, and are looking elsewhere. Not worth the stress.

Comment – November 22, 2014

So true to all the comments above. Company is doomed. Going to go belly up anytime. Supply chain mgmt is TERRIBLE. No clue as to what they are doing. Will shut down any new ideas and thoughts that you may have. Pay and benefits suck too. No pension or retirement plan either. Save yourself the heart ache and look elsewhere but definitely do not ever work here. Biggest mistake of my life

Comment – December 24, 2014

Don't ever work here. This place is a nightmare. Rude mgt and employees. Pay is horrible and so are benefits. Will not learn anything. Very political. They will layyou off and then repost your job back again. They are SNAKES here. Save yourself your sanity.

Comment – March 14, 2015

Dead on. Do NOT work here. You will be beyond miserable. The company, mgt, and employees suck here. No other way to say it but to be candid. Pay is awful too. Just did it to get some experience and to get a paycheck. Was constantly looking for other opportunities. Employers even know what a horrible reputation this company has as they have asked me during interviews. Pretty sad. The products are wayyyy overpriced and they use cheap packaging. Buy Scott's instead hands down.

Worst place to work in Idaho: 2012, 2013, 2014 and Worst Call Center to work in Idaho
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 24, 2014
The Central Service Center (CSC) in Boise is a call center in disguise, where employees are treated as modern day slaves. The employees obviously don't stay long because they are constantly monitored and micro managed, huge work overload, with zero opportunities for advancement, mediocre pay and zero overtime.They are resigning even without finding another job, they just want to get out of here.
The management is horrible: condescending, love to intimidate people and micro manage their employees. Any employee issues are constantly ignored by them and after many complaints to the upper management, nothing has changed.
The Director of the CSC, L.N., doesn't care about the bad reputation of the Center. They can't find people to fill SEVERAL positions that are open, due to all the resignations. The Director doesn't care about losing valuable employees and the costs associated with the HIGH employee turnover ($newspaper ads, $training new hires, $knowledge loss, etc.) and all because of the managers.
I wouldn't recommend Central to my worst enemy. If you need a job in AP, apply in Boise, Inc. (PCA), at least they don't have bad reviews. There is a reason why they are constantly looking for AP and AR Specialists. You will be sorry to work here.

My advice: Listen to the employees and make some changes or pretty soon you won't have any left.
Worst place to work in Idaho: 2012, 2013, 2014
Worst Call Center to work in Idaho
Okay workplace
Woodshop Assembler (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIAugust 1, 2014
Was scorned every time a concern was brought up about a resident. Enjoyed working with the residents as well as some of the other workers.
Quiet productive place not really a fun environment.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Jamesburg, NJJune 28, 2014
A day at work always starts off fast paced because you feel like you can get done faster than the others around you. I learned a lot about how to efficiently pick orders without stressing my body too much. Management never really shows their faces unless something is either wrong or just for meeting purposes. The hardest part of the job was the walking for basically ten hours or more every day, even if we only worked four days a week it wasn't pleasant. The easiest part of the job would be helping the shipping department to wrap orders up and watch them load the orders to the trucks while I'm building boxes on pallets.
Pros
a break every two and a half to three hours
Cons
breaks were 15 minutes long unless it was lunch
Central Garden & Pet
Z Tag Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2014
Managed customer information for Central Life Sciences location, overseeing entry into the Master Data customer database; identified policies, procedures and tasks requiring modification, documentation and process improvement; created and updated the electronic Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Master; ensured involvement and input throughout the organization to ensure team environment; developed individual performance measurements for team members and created reporting necessary to track quarterly performance against goals; ensured Personal Development Program training goal milestones were met; organized and participated in department new employee orientation; processed customer orders, credits and debit memos.
A fun place to work where everyone's ideas count.
National Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2014
A lot of good people lost their jobs because a new CEO was trying to get the stock price up,
He was let go years later after he drove the price down,
He knew nothing about the culture of the company which made it great in our customers eyes.
Pros
traveling the us and wworking with great lowe's and central employee's.
Cons
bringing in different ceo's to get stock price up, he didn't know anything about the culture of the company
A nice place to work
Director of Engineering (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 16, 2014
Company is improving and is a good place to work. Challenging tasks with rewarding compensation
good company to work for always something to do,
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  charleston south carolinaJanuary 19, 2014
A good company to work for always something to do that being said it sometimes leaves you little time for family.
Pros
never a boring day.
Cons
weekend work.