Central Garden & Pet Employee Reviews

Glorified call center environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 15, 2018
They will work you like a rented mule. My coworkers lacked the training to help me. The training lasted two days and was a joke. Then they give you unrealistic timelines to do your work and yell at you when you don't understand something. I was made to attend various meetings that had absolutely no bearing on my job when I could be doing my actual job. Don't waste your time here unless you want to work with narcissistic baby boomers. .
Pros
You get a lunch, but it's only 30 minutes.
Cons
Mean coworkers and management, unhealthy competition, unrealistic timelines.
Was ok at first
Order Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 12, 2018
Very poor management in order management department. Director is a joke. Micro managing and talking to employees like they are four years old. No room for advancement. Too much favoritism.
Pros
Pretty flexible
Cons
Poor management
January 15, 2018

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We take all feedback seriously and I will pass this along to Human Resources so we can get more information. If you would like to talk to our SVP of HR, please reach out to me at recruiting@central.com and I can put you in touch with her.

Some stores are better than others that you call on.
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Madison, GA 30650October 16, 2017
A company that requires the use of your phones gps so you can be tracked while on the clock. Can be physical at times. Good knowledge of merchandising.
Great workplace with plenty of potential.
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 13, 2017
My time here was great but management really slacked at the end. For the last few months HR couldn't keep up which meant getting everybody hired was almost impossible.
Pros
Flexible schedule and being able to workf from home on occasion.
Cons
Driving too much. Company is constantly failing to implement policies from upper management.
Good for a temporary job.
Merchandising Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 4, 2017
The flexible schedule is why I worked for the company as long as I did. Management was very flexible with my work schedule the majority of the time. Hours varied by the season.
New managment and building
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJSeptember 26, 2017
We work more than 8 hours every day, at one point is good to have overtime every week but in overall the salary is too low and there had been no increases in two years. Some people walk around doing nothing and there are no managers that pay attention to that situation while others work hard in order to get the job done on time and meet productivity. I don't like that not everybody is responsible and don't pay attention to details and make a lot of mistakes.
Pros
Free food during inventory season
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, no salary increases
Poor management & negative atomosphere
Data Entry Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, OHAugust 29, 2017
Very poor management, lack of communication. A lot of mind reading going on. Due to young aged management.
Negative atmosphere here at the warehouse.
Currently looking for another position. Never worked for a company that has little or no communication surrounding w/ the sea of negativity before. makes it hard to come into work.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Poor management, lack of communication, negative atmosphere
is not the best place to work, but is not the worst
Customer S./Admin-Assistent (Current Employee) –  Cranbury, NJAugust 25, 2017
The lack of fairness make me look for something else,
There is a lot of favoritism in this place.
I don't want talk about it
I can say that I work hard anywhere I go
Fast paced
Merchandise Supply Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 24, 2017
Fast Paced environment, Overall management is ok. Very aware and sensitive to your family needs. Very agressive when it comes to merchandising. Lots of wear and tear on your vehicle.
Dont treat workers fair
Puller (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 19, 2017
Night shift get treated unfair.two people started making more then me and i was there awhole year before them.they dont pay enough for the work especially on the bulk side.thos is y i quite.oh and they dont care.either
Pros
Off days.breaks
Cons
Wages
August 21, 2017

I'm sorry that your experience at Central was not positive. We would like to learn more about your situation. Please contact us at recruiting@central.com.

products and support staff are great.
TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAAugust 14, 2017
Flexible schedule, make your own hours. Good work life balance. District management could be more educated on product knowledge and ordering procedures . No room for advancement.
August 17, 2017

Central has locations throughout the U.S. but some locations are small and don't offer opportunities for growth. If you are willing to work in a different location or different role, there are definitely opportunities available.

Very good
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Holstein, WIJuly 30, 2017
Very happy to work for central garden and pet.
Good management/ HR
Good benefits and all around pleased to work for them. Treat employees very good, and fair employees to work with as well.
Pros
Healthcare/ benefits
Cons
Hours
August 17, 2017

We pride ourselves on treating everyone fairly and are glad to hear you are being treated well. We are always on the lookout for great employees - did you know we have an employee referral program? Talk to your HR representative for details.

Fun place to work
Plastic mold injector (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIJuly 10, 2017
Operate machinery for making animal cages, toys, houses, etc. Have to be able to inspect the part, make sure its not any extra plastic obn the product so it wont harm the animals. Meeting your quota everyday, and its very muli-task and u have to be able to keep up at all times.
Pros
Music, eat at station
Cons
Workholic, machines going slow
August 17, 2017

Hmmm, not so sure about eating at your station but glad you enjoyed the music! Thanks for the work you did on making safe products for small animals!

Great place to work.
A/R Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 22, 2017
A great learning experience to handle sensitive information in a short amount of time. There was a lot of paperwork that needed to be down quickly but efficiently.
Productive and fun place to work
Fiber Fill Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Athens, TXMay 24, 2017
Great place to work. People are great to work with. Lots of overtime hours. Great company benefits. Is hard work but well worth it. No need for a gym membership as this place provides a whole body workout
Pros
People are great
Cons
Breaks are short
August 17, 2017

Athens is definitely a busy place! Our pet beds are so popular that we are now adding a second shift! We've also increased our wages in Athens so if you know of any good workers who are interested, send them over!

This company should burn down
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2017
No advancement.
No raises.
Benefits are a joke.
Management is a joke.
People who work there are very miserable and DO NOT get appreciated for there hard work that they put in.
Pros
non
Cons
everything
August 17, 2017

I'm sorry to hear that your experience at Central has not been a positive one. If you would like someone from Human Resources to reach out to you, please email recruiting@central.com and I can connect you with the right person.

Buenos compañeros de trabajo éramos mui socibles.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 22, 2017
Me llevaba mui bien con el boss de mi departamento,y asta me ofreció trabajar en Atlanta Georgia pero no pude ir por , motivo familiar.
Pros
Por la compañía tenía seguro medico
Cons
Teníamos dos brakes y un lunch.
August 17, 2017

Agradecemos su evaluacion de Central. Nos da gusto saber que su experiencia fue positiva. Gracias por su timepo.

You will gain experience, but no advancement
Shipping Coordinator & CSR (Former Employee) –  Jamesburg, NJApril 30, 2017
The harder you work, the less this company recognize your work. There is no advancement in this company, if you start in CSR, you are stuck in CSR. Also, this company lack management.
August 17, 2017

Thank you for your comment and I'm sorry you did not have a positive experience with Central. We take this type of feedback seriously and will use it to help improve the work experience for our current employees.

Great Place
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 29, 2017
Good people and great advancement. Central is a growing company with lots to offer. Would recommend this company to any friend looking to grow with a great company!
August 17, 2017

You are exactly right - and we are continuing to grow! Central is a great place to work.

Very poor management with jail-like atmosphere
CSR (Former Employee) –  Jamesburg, NJMarch 30, 2017
New management keeps coming in and people keep quitting, including myself. Feels like you're in jail, not an office setting. Do yourself a favor and take a different job. There are way better ones out there. They make it sound like a wonderful place, but you're constantly disciplined. I understand discipline at the work place, but even if you get up to use the restroom, they want to know about it. If you like being treated like you are in the 1st grade, then this job is for you! Everyone quitting must say something about this place! Everyone is miserable and they can't wait to leave! The company is falling apart and isn't making any money. You'll never move up here, either.
Pros
Not much anymore
Cons
Pay, hard to take vacation, hard to leave on time, very poor management
August 17, 2017

I'm sorry you did not have a positive experience. We've made some improvements over the past six months and are confident that those changes will pay off and keep our employees happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Garden & Pet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9