Central Garden & Pet Employee Reviews

It's a very productive work space.
Order Picker/Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 26, 2017
The job isn't bad the pay could be better and management could better.And maybe yearly bonuses and some room for advancement but besides that their good.
Pros
3 days off
Cons
Not enough employees
Love working for manufacturing companies
AR Specialist Lead (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJanuary 31, 2017
At first, I loved my position, it was a very enriched learning environment and I loved being able to share my knowledge about lien and bond rights on the Garden side of the company.

I learned more about SOX and other accounting guidelines and legal practices.

Management at first was great!! But after 4 years there were some other management levels created and it began causing some conflict and confusion on the floor with the AR Reps.

The workplace culture consisted of allowing Reps to work independently with an open office door policy should you have any questions or need assistance.

The hardest part of the job at the time of my separation came about as new management levels were created. The confusion as to who to turn to for any concerns became blurred and some on the floor considered that the multiple managers would team up, didn't feel like they could have a one on one approach.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my Sales Reps and customers. I found once you establish a personal relationship and remember people by name, it was effective in getting payment plans set up for those Garden accounts that would seasonally become slow to pay and with the Sales Reps who could assist in collections of money on sales calls, since my region was California.
Pros
Contests were presented for Quarter and Year, gift cards, etc
Cons
Makeup time
It was alright.
Developer (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 6, 2017
They brought me in as part of the team to do development in-house for the first time. It was a great group of people, but they ultimately re-organized the team 3 time in 6 months. They are a big well-to-do company with big aspirations, but ultimately slow and needing much prodding to get in gear.
Pros
Great group of folks
Cons
Management is slow to everything
Not a good place to work
Materail handler (Former Employee) –  Madison, GADecember 29, 2016
This is a good place to work if you are good friends with the supervisor. That way u can be off talking with him while he have someone else doin your job as well as their own. Management only care about getting there products out theyour could care less about the workers in the warehouse and the machine has lots of problems
Pros
Supervisor is rarely seen until right before a break
Cons
Where do i start
good compensation and benefits
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WIJanuary 26, 2017
Management is and are great at handling business.Exciting and fun workplace. Many chances to advance in the workplace.great pay
Pros
good for a person who is good with thier hands
Cons
have to get to work every day
A good company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Madison, GADecember 26, 2016
A great company to work for. With some good managers/ management. But no room to advance with the company once I was hired.
Worst Company Ever.
sales (Former Employee) –  Neptune, NJJanuary 25, 2016
This is a company that on the outside, holds itself out to be a bona-fide corporation, complete with the lofty goals and values of a real company.

Should you be hired, you'll quickly find out that on the inside, it is nothing more than a high school mentality farm-team wannabe company, rife with office politics, gossip, favoritism, inequality, nepotism, unfairness, zero advancement, and all manner of other office BS.

Kiss management butt big time at this company, and you'll go far.

Think independently, and your days are numbered.

You've been forewarned.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Large company with small company atmosphere
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Madison, GAJuly 31, 2016
Working for CGP is rewarding and challenging. I have traveled to the many locations and learned a lot about the business. Most of the employees have worked for the company for a long time, there is not much turnover. It has wonderful benefits.
Pros
Freedom to be the best employee possible
Cons
Physical Office Location is old and needs repair regularly
Transportation (Former Employee) –  MarylandAugust 29, 2016
Did this for 20 years. No loyalty and will stab you in the back whenever you turn around. They talk family but it only apply to a select group. Do not trust management as a whole just a few at the top seem ok. Sales team is the worst no consideration for each other. Grateful for the job just glad I could walk away on my own terms.
Pros
No weekend
Cons
Managers not trustworthy
Love this place
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Franklin, WIMarch 24, 2017
I enjoyed the dynamic at Central Garden & Pet. I had great coworkers, I learned so much about myself in this company. My direct contacts always strived for me to do better and learn more. This set the tone for my future endeavors.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unstable HR department
Great Work Environment and Job
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Greer/Spartanburg/GaffneyMay 20, 2016
I normally start my day around 3-4:00am and drive to the stores in the Greer/Spartanburg area. In the stores, I go over our product that we have received that day, as well as place orders in accordance with the Lowe's/Home Depot systems numbers. I check the sales numbers of my stores daily, to see where we could improve and also constantly change out product in my displays to keep the products moving that will sale. I have learned many things at the job I have now, as we are a company that deals with Grass Seed, Fertilizer and Grass/Insect chemicals and killers, and we also deal with plant food. I am knowledgeable on what type of Grass grows when and what fertilizer to make it grow, as well as other questions in our products field. The hardest part of the job is keeping the product clean for the customers, but it is part of the job and is beneficial to sales. The most enjoyable part of the job is the traveling to and from the stores and building immaculate displays for the customers to enjoy in the stores, as well as making the store in general look amazing.
Pros
Tedius but fun work, Good pay, Full Benefits
Great Workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2017
Central was a great place to work I really hated that company relocated everyone was hands on. Family away from home everyday of the week miss them much
Pros
Always recognizing employees for good
Cons
Hated company moved
Warehouse work
Dock Manager (Former Employee) –  Algona, WAJanuary 5, 2017
Was a fine company to work for. Work schedule was straight forward and the same everyday. Never had a problem with work/ homelife.
I enjoy working the account that is assigned to me.
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 22, 2017
Could be a great place to work. There are many people in positions that need training due to being unqualified for the position they hold.
Worked for Company for many years. Learned a lot of hard lessons.
Sales (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 13, 2016
I hate for someone to go through what I did...
Loyalty does not matter to this company and its unfortunate that I didn't realize this until well over a decade!! There is no leadership what so ever. Management is awful and marketing is always a day late and a dollar behind. There is no where to move up with this company as well as no increment merit increases and capped bonuses. This all has dramatically changed in the last 5 years... All that matters is the number delivered to Wall Street. Not the relationships they establish nor bettering the lives of animals across the nation. The HR department is not there for support to the employees at all. HR I feel is not supportive but only to tear you down not build you up or to help you out with leave or any other circumstances. There is actually no support to the employees. The people you grow to love and call your family over the years don't trust/you can't count on them. They are out for themselves. They are snakes and everything everyone told me to watch out for about the company was true. I am thankful for the experience I do believe that I was there at the best of times and it has gotten me to where I am today and I do owe them that!
Pros
Got me sales/management experience
Cons
Poor pay, management, HR, no support from corporate
It is NOT a career, it is a job. No opportunity.
Customer Order Specialist (Former Employee) –  IdahoAugust 2, 2013
I had to post another review because it mirrors my feelings and I could not say it any better:

Great co-workers, but the new Service Center is a joke. Low pay, no raises for 16-18 months for new employees....be forewarned! Understand now why they chose Boise....so they can pay junk wages. Benefits are based out of California and are horrible for Idahoans.....and expensive. Management only concerned with trying to make the 'higher ups' at corporate think all is going good when in fact at least half of the current employees are looking for other employment.
Employees are treated as non-entities, and are talked over or ignored by supervisors and managers. Definitely not what was told to us during the interview process.

If you do make the choice to work there negotiate your pay.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, it is a job NOT a career.
They do not care about the 'little people'
AP (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 1, 2013
Great co-workers, but the new Service Center is a joke. Low pay, no raises for 16-18 months for new employees....be forewarned! Understand now why they chose Boise....so they can pay junk wages. Benefits are based out of California and are horrible for Idahoans.....and expensive. Management only concerned with trying to make the 'higher ups' at corporate think all is going good when in fact it's about to fall on its face with at least half of the current employees looking for other employment.
Horrible place to work....strongly advise you to keep looking.
Pros
peer bonding is great
Cons
pay, management, benefits
Not the biggest fan.
Sr. Replenishment Manager (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARMay 11, 2016
Organization struggles to understand and truly partner with customer. Company culture did not match my personal beliefs.
Stayed away
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  western paFebruary 10, 2016
Management is like working with 7th graders. Most of the day is childless bashing of the competitors. If you like beating up your on car do this job. they pay mileage only after your drive the first hour is on you or 60 miles. pay is 12.00 hour and you get 2.00 hour to cover gas tolls and a higher insurance rate since you are using your car for business. 10 month for cell phone use
Pros
freedom to start at differant times in the am
Cons
poor uppermanagement poor attitude
Terrible Employer
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  NE USAJanuary 28, 2013
Poor management, no benefits, and a pittance for travel expenses. A part-time job with full-time expectations. Expect multiple 'crises of the day' with inventory and display demands.

Management consists of 'ne'er-do-wells' that are anxious, reactionary and without regard to the human element of business.

You'll also be expected to try to secure display space (although that's a territory manager's task), perform a LOT of grunt work, (refer to the entry of the guy cleaning grass seed pallets) and be constantly monitored and berated.

Sounds like sour grapes, but I've put three years into this job, demonstrated a good work ethic and profitable results. I finally quit when there was yet one more 'crisis' put on the workload by an arrogant, obnoxious, and reactionary manager.
Pros
can't think of one.
Cons
refer to the review

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Garden & Pet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5