Central Garden & Pet

Central Garden & Pet Employer Reviews

Great brands but management is in flux
Regional Strategic Sourcing Manager (Former Employee), Chilton, WINovember 12, 2014
Pros: autonomy
Cons: no top level direction
Central Garden & Pet encompasses many well known, powerful brands. Individually these are good companies but they are currently held back by the confused organizational structure. They admit they messed it up and state they're committed to fixing it. They probably will but short term I'd steer clear.
horrible environment and management
accounts receivable (Former Employee), IdahoOctober 25, 2014
Pros: other employees
Cons: bad management to high workload and unrealistic deadlines
Supervisor that I had only became supervisor due to them moving him from Washington. Horrible management. Workload too much for one person with unrealistic deadlines. Stay clear
Worst company ever!!!!!
Supply mgr (Former Employee), AtlantaOctober 10, 2014
Cons: everything
Didn't learn anything. Horrible management. Products are wayyyyyyy overpriced!!!!!! Do not buy Amdro, Pennington. RIPOFF!! Horrible subordinates and team members. No one will help you when you need it and will backstab you. SAP launch was a disaster. Employees were temps right off the streets and had no clue. The seasoned employees were rude and didn't – more... know anything either but pretended like they knew everything.
Fighting a battle every day with employees and management.
Meetings were junk. Would prepare S @OP review for supply-chain people and took a week to do the thing because systems are so archaic. Never had time to analyze anything because too busy spinning wheels. SAP is not for this co.
Pres. and CEO both fired. Tons of layoffs. No job security.
Management has no backbone for their people.
Better off working for any other company but this one. Don't do it!!!!!
Find a better company or do contract work but definitely not for this company. Pay is awful!!!!!!!and so do benefits. No discount on the products either. But no loss. Scott's is wayyyyyyyyyy better.
No one's even heard of this worthless company.
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!! Worst 5 yrs ever. Just stayed that long for a paycheck nothing else. Was a working boss for chump change until I could find something better.
Save your sanity and do not work for this sinking ship. The Company is about to go down under as well. Just look at the stock price. – less

October 16, 2014

Great review! Very well and clearly stated. No lies in this review. Do not work at that sinking ship. I had the same experience. Very happy to have left.

November 2, 2014

Laying people off left and right and then reposting SAME job. Don't work here. You will regret every minute of it.

November 11, 2014

No one working there is happy. Just there to collect a paycheck. Benefits are TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!! Very expensive. Everyone working in the Atlanta office complains about their jobs, and are looking elsewhere. Not worth the stress.

November 22, 2014

So true to all the comments above. Company is doomed. Going to go belly up anytime. Supply chain mgmt is TERRIBLE. No clue as to what they are doing. Will shut down any new ideas and thoughts that you may have. Pay and benefits suck too. No pension or retirement plan either. Save yourself the heart ache and look elsewhere but definitely do not ever work here. Biggest mistake of my life

Worst place to work in Idaho: 2012, 2013, 2014 and Worst Call Center to work in Idaho
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), Boise, IDSeptember 24, 2014
The Central Service Center (CSC) in Boise is a call center in disguise, where employees are treated as modern day slaves. The employees obviously don't stay long because they are constantly monitored and micro managed, huge work overload, with zero opportunities for advancement, mediocre pay and zero overtime.They are resigning even without finding – more... another job, they just want to get out of here.
The management is horrible: condescending, love to intimidate people and micro manage their employees. Any employee issues are constantly ignored by them and after many complaints to the upper management, nothing has changed.
The Director of the CSC, L.N., doesn't care about the bad reputation of the Center. They can't find people to fill SEVERAL positions that are open, due to all the resignations. The Director doesn't care about losing valuable employees and the costs associated with the HIGH employee turnover ($newspaper ads, $training new hires, $knowledge loss, etc.) and all because of the managers.
I wouldn't recommend Central to my worst enemy. If you need a job in AP, apply in Boise, Inc. (PCA), at least they don't have bad reviews. There is a reason why they are constantly looking for AP and AR Specialists. You will be sorry to work here.

My advice: Listen to the employees and make some changes or pretty soon you won't have any left.
Worst place to work in Idaho: 2012, 2013, 2014
Worst Call Center to work in Idaho – less
Okay workplace
Woodshop Assembler (Former Employee), Franklin, WIAugust 1, 2014
Was scorned every time a concern was brought up about a resident. Enjoyed working with the residents as well as some of the other workers.
Quiet productive place not really a fun environment.
Order Picker (Former Employee), Jamesburg, NJJune 28, 2014
Pros: a break every two and a half to three hours
Cons: breaks were 15 minutes long unless it was lunch
A day at work always starts off fast paced because you feel like you can get done faster than the others around you. I learned a lot about how to efficiently pick orders without stressing my body too much. Management never really shows their faces unless something is either wrong or just for meeting purposes. The hardest part of the job was the walking – more... for basically ten hours or more every day, even if we only worked four days a week it wasn't pleasant. The easiest part of the job would be helping the shipping department to wrap orders up and watch them load the orders to the trucks while I'm building boxes on pallets. – less
Central Garden & Pet
Z Tag Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2014
Managed customer information for Central Life Sciences location, overseeing entry into the Master Data customer database; identified policies, procedures and tasks requiring modification, documentation and process improvement; created and updated the electronic Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Master; ensured involvement and input throughout the organization – more... to ensure team environment; developed individual performance measurements for team members and created reporting necessary to track quarterly performance against goals; ensured Personal Development Program training goal milestones were met; organized and participated in department new employee orientation; processed customer orders, credits and debit memos. – less
A fun place to work where everyone's ideas count.
National Accounts Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2014
Pros: traveling the us and wworking with great lowe's and central employee's.
Cons: bringing in different ceo's to get stock price up, he didn't know anything about the culture of the company
A lot of good people lost their jobs because a new CEO was trying to get the stock price up,
He was let go years later after he drove the price down,
He knew nothing about the culture of the company which made it great in our customers eyes.
A nice place to work
Director of Engineering (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 16, 2014
Company is improving and is a good place to work. Challenging tasks with rewarding compensation
good company to work for always something to do,
Territory Manager (Former Employee), charleston south carolinaJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: never a boring day.
Cons: weekend work.
A good company to work for always something to do that being said it sometimes leaves you little time for family.
Great teamwork between all shifts and departments.
General Manager (Former Employee), Mahwah, NJJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: great associates
Cons: could of had better communication from corp level.
Though it’s probably clear from my resume, I must highlight my affinity for working with many different types of people in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. I welcome change and do believe that my ability to relate to and motivate many different types of employees and peers has helped me succeed in some very challenging environments.
great place to work
order puller/down stocker (Former Employee), Dallas, TXDecember 19, 2013
Pros: free fish tanks
this job is so cool and a great place to be. it kept me away from trouble and i met good friends too.
n/a
Project Manager/Financial Analyst (Current Employee), 07734December 4, 2013
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
The left hand didn't know what the right was doing.
designer (Current Employee), atlanta, gaSeptember 25, 2013
Working here was just ok, I felt as though being a contractor I was always isolated from team meetings and projects that eventually lead to a poor view of myself and another because they felt as though we weren't "team players." Also I felt as though management was very disconnected from what was going on - there was a lack of communication and organization – more... which lead to missed deadlines and overall poor view of the creative department. – less
No Benefits, No real compensation, Use of your own vehicle with no sort of reimbursment
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CASeptember 23, 2013
Cons: everything
Start when you want to but your told where you got to go and they don't plan routes properly. You learn nothing cause they stay with you a week and then you are on your own. Poor Poor management. Hardest part is to no resign your first week. Did not enjoy this job at all
Merchandiser
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Laurel, MDAugust 19, 2013
Pros: working outside
Cons: no
Utilized active selling techniques working with vendors such as Lowe’s and Home Depot. Travel to each store for down stocking, display set up and maintenance, reset display as needed for visual impact. Also responsible for greeting the in store customer and providing immediate buying solutions. Work to consistently provide the best service to both vendors – more... and their customers. Promote product brand and new solutions throughout assigned territory. – less
Great Family Like Atmosphere
Forklift, warehouse labor (Former Employee), Algona, WA.August 7, 2013
Pros: benefits ie if you own a pet your cost for food etc will go away
Cons: plain hard work
I usually drove a forklift all day while getting orders ready for the night crew. Help drivers with orders and anything else that was needed. I learned all about pet supplies, including food, fish tanks, etc.

I got along with everyone very well. People work as a team there and for the most part everyday is smooth.
Hardest part of the job is being on – more... your feet all day. You do get used to it.
Most fun I had was the benefits of working there by getting a super discount on items that they sold. – less
It is NOT a career, it is a job. No opportunity.
Customer Order Specialist (Former Employee), IdahoAugust 2, 2013
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: no opportunity for advancement, it is a job not a career.
I had to post another review because it mirrors my feelings and I could not say it any better:

Great co-workers, but the new Service Center is a joke. Low pay, no raises for 16-18 months for new employees....be forewarned! Understand now why they chose Boise....so they can pay junk wages. Benefits are based out of California and are horrible for Idahoans.....and – more... expensive. Management only concerned with trying to make the 'higher ups' at corporate think all is going good when in fact at least half of the current employees are looking for other employment.
Employees are treated as non-entities, and are talked over or ignored by supervisors and managers. Definitely not what was told to us during the interview process.

If you do make the choice to work there negotiate your pay. – less
Accounts Receivable (Current Employee), Boise, IDJuly 31, 2013
Pros: opportunity, great upper managment, great training.
Work in Accounts Receivable at the Boise Service Center. Has been a great place to work. Great benefits and leadership. Great opportunity for advancement. Good home balance. The company is growing and making great changes to benefit the customers as wellas the employees. Wages are fair and managment gives good feedback. They care about your progress – more... and check in to make sure your comfortable with how your career is advancing. I reccomend this Employer to all. – less
One of the WORST companies to work for
Accounts Payable (Current Employee), BoiseJune 6, 2013
Pros: co-workers
Cons: everything else
Company seems to only care about their management team. Employees are just a number and they aren't concerned about the workload, pay, the cost of the insurance employees have to pay (which is a LOT) and not great insurance benefits. The A/P Supervisor is the worst!! She is manipulative, treats everyone like we are 5 years old. You know the type, talks – more... down to us,extremely controlling, cold, unfeeling, answers questions with a question, and manipulates her managers into believing she is doing a good job. She kills any moral the employees had to begin with. After many, many complaints to upper management and the headquarters, she is still here. All of the A/P dept. is looking for another job. And they still don't get it.....
You will be very sorry to come work here. – less

About Central Garden & Pet

Central Garden & Pet is happy to help with both pets and pests. The company is among the largest US producers and distributors – Read more