Central Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

Amazing place to serve your country in an impactful way.
Project Manager, Center for Cyber Intelligence (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2017
Have loved nearly every day of my 28+ years working for the Agency. Amazing people and the ultimate "can do" culture. Every day presented a new challenge. It was never boring.
Work hard, play hard
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 17, 2017
Unlike any other workplace! Fascinating people, inspiring history, and a clear sense of purpose help you feel fulfilled every day. The hiring process is long and arduous but well worth the effort. Steady advancement and a large variety of professions provide opportunity for multiple careers without ever changing employers. Stellar pay and benefits help ease the slow drain a "lifestyle" career can impose. All in all, an unforgettable work experience with incredible projects you'll never be able to disclose.
Pros
Great advancement, terrific benefits, very neat work
Cons
Strict hiring guidelines, can't talk about work with your family, a heavy mission makes it easy to ignore work life balance
Very structured government bureaucracy
Strategic Planning Group task force (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20505June 7, 2017
Please note this was a great many years ago that I participated in a unique task force, reporting to the Director. This is a difficult environment for anyone accustomed to private industry and a more entrepreneurial atmosphere. Although this was a terrific learning experience with exposures I would never have had elsewhere, my choice was to return to private industry where merit and hard work could be rewarded.
Great summer internship
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAMay 28, 2017
A typical day was spent assisting office staff in areas ranging from testing products to preparing instructional pamphlets in Microsoft office. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Pros
Nice office, friendly/helpful co-workers, generous compensation
Cons
N/a
Doing the Country's Most Important Work
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAMay 23, 2017
The CIA was the best place I've ever worked in terms of the quality of the employees and managers, and the high work ethic. I was also extremely surprised and pleased about how politics stayed out of the work (you didn't even know if your co-worker was a Democrat or a Republican).
Pros
Exposure to the Highest Decision Makers in the US
Cons
The pressure of doing a critically important job
CIA Agency Review
INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY PROGRAM MANAGER (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMay 19, 2017
Excellent organization to work for. Great experiences within my first joint duty environment and more importantly a great team to be a part of. If given the opportunity I would definitely work for the agency again.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
The CIA provided unlimited opportunities for growth and development of it's employees.
Logistics Officer (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAApril 25, 2017
I enjoyed every aspect of my job with the Office of Logistics. There was ample opportunity to grow and develop professional attributes. I also enjoyed the travel.
Cia
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 21, 2017
I worked as a secretary for the Central Intelligence Agency. It was a nice place to work in the 80s. I had opportunities to travel and that was interesting.
All Source Targeting Analyst
Targeting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAApril 11, 2017
Senior targeting analyst writing finished intelligence reports on radical Islamic terrorist groups in Iraq whose aim it was to destabilize the government and to threaten US interests in Iraq.
Good
IMDO/Cataloging Metadata Librarian (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2017
Experience was good. Typical day consisted of typical librarian work. But not many opportunities in my skill set, Workplace culture was diverse. Enjoyed the diversity in people and skill sets
great place to work , if you are OK with the poor compensation for working in DC area
Team Chief (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 5, 2017
great overall place to work. only downside is they do not pay quite in line with the cost of living in the DC area ( if we are talking about CIA HQ in McLean VA). also if it paid better, it would help compensate for the stressful commuting aspects of living in that area as well
Pros
culture, the mission, the people
Cons
pay does not match the COL for DC area. DC area is not for everyone (traffic is crazy)
You knew the mission of the job and strive to acheive it.
Office Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 8, 2017
Very exciting place to work. I feel know day is like the one before, Have to be willing to adapt to change, knowing how to prioritize is very important.
Rewarding patriotic work
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAMarch 1, 2017
I enjoyed my tenor at the CIA. It was very exciting and important work. Most importantly was the teamwork and dedication of the talent at the Agency.
Secure, Government Position
IT Security Exploitation Officer, TS/SCI Clearance (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2017
I felt secure working here, although I was not always keen on the secrecy. Different security clearances determined what information you were able to know/obtain. Also prohibited access in different areas.
Pros
security
Working as a Team
Logistics Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2017
Generally I've been fortunate to have great relationships at all my jobs. Sometimes I feel we must make unpopular decisions that are for the larger good of the company.
Operations Officer
Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 12, 2017
Most of the Operations Officer career is spent overseas working out of U.S. Embassies. Assignments abroad are generally 2-3 years each. The job is based around producing intelligence reporting and recruiting spies.
Pros
Patriotic mission
Cons
Assignments only last 2-3 years and then you have to move your family to the next country, Hard on families, Long hours
Classified
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 13, 2016
Based upon the classified nature of my work, I will not put into words my personal feelings about this position. I worked to support my Government's interests to the best of my ability.
Spent 30 years there, and it was GREAT!
Technical Intelligence Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2016
Like any large bureaucracy, there are issues, but I found lots of advancement opportunities, interesting work, and even travel! Something for everyone there.
Pros
Retirement package, good benefits, interesting work
Cons
Commute, parking, bureaucratic, criticism by unwitting outsiders.
Excellent place to work
Support Manager/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington DC AreaNovember 20, 2016
Outstanding Career Opportunities. Over my 36 year career I advanced to the Senior level of Government Service. Although I was hired on as a Mechanical Engineer, I was able to choose other career paths as desired.
Quality of Co-Workers among the best
Senior Cyber Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 20, 2016
The best part about my job is serving my country. I've learned key leadership skills, as this company provides some of the best leadership courses available.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Intelligence Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4