Central Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews in United States

Review of CIA Career
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAJune 15, 2016
I had a long and successful career with CIA for 39 years. I changed job tracks 3 times during my career and served in several different support jobs. Training opportunities were excellent.
Pros
Many job tracks, opportunities to change career focus, great feelings of supporting national safety and security.
Cons
Polygraphs, background investigations, could not share work with others
The best
Contracting Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, D.C.October 22, 2015
The best place to work and make a difference. Support meaningful programs, overcome bureaucracies, and adjust to the closed culture.
Excellent people. Excellent Mission.
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  HeadquartersJanuary 25, 2016
There is no better place to use your technical skills and talents to the benefit of our nation's security and no better place to have an impact on our nation's leadership.
N/a
Sr. Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2015
Exceptional people - senior management is fully engaged in enabling the mission. Most of the staff employees are dedicated and focused teams who go the extra mile to serve and protect.
Not what you would expect
Facilities Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  HeadquartersMay 5, 2014
The agency is everything you wouldn't expect. The management style is severely lacking and it causes a lot of problems. People are reassigned constantly in positions they aren't qualified for which also causes havoc.

The office politics are very charged and can effect you easily. Stay on your toes.

Security is very tight and you will have a gun aimed at your face at least once during your time an as employee here.

I did meet some very famous people during my 2 years here. No names of course, sorry.

Work/life balance is excellent as you can't take any work home with you. But you probably figured that out by now.
Pros
team oriented, pride in work, skills acquired, work life balance
Cons
management, reassignments
Greatest federal employer
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2016
Great federal employer and provides challenges to today's global issues that need to be solved. Would do it all over again.
Working for the Government
Support (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 23, 2016
Working for the government is great if you like to travel. The pay is not so great and living in the DC area is also not so great. Lots of opportunity to move around and learn other things.
Excellent Internship
Advertising and Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2015
Everything was great. For a college student the experience was invaluable. Pay was great and the amount of opportunity was amazing. The only con is the traffic and being in the car over an hour every day to get home.
Great Place to Work
Senior DS&T Watch Officer (Former Employee) –  Mclean VaJune 26, 2015
I enjoyed a great rewarding career during my 30 + years at the CIA.

I recommend the CIA to anyone whom desires to devote a career to contributing to the defense of the USA.
Pros
Rewarding
Great workplace that provides as sense of duty as well as multiple opportunities in your career.
Finance and Operations Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Langley, VAJuly 18, 2013
A typical workday for a finance and operations support officer is a standard 8-5 work schedule. This all depends on the particular job, operation and location as this could obviously increase from time to time. It is all dependent on the particular set of goals at the time.

You learn to work with a variety of personnel during the course of your career. From staffers to briefings to senior management.

Management, at least in the area of finance and support, is at times lacking. Like any office, I have had great managers and at others absolutely horrible.

The hardest part of the job is coming to grips that regulations basically outweigh common sense at times. Hey, it's the government.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the opportunities that the Agency offers and the sense of duty it can provide. It has in some offices, flexible schedules which are family friendly. You will also have the opportunity to travel abroad if that is one's goal.
Pros
good work environment and sense of duty.
Cons
have to move to the east coast and it is bureacratic.
Energetic
Special Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 26, 2015
This is a great place to work. While waiting for the clearance process can be nerve-wrecking. it's well worth the wait. Working there gives you a great sense of self-worth.
Excellent
Division Secretary (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 26, 2015
Exciting - moving - hectic. Loved it all - sorry I left! Family life was the reason I left.
Pros
benefits and advancement
Cons
commute
Seeking a career change
Analyst (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 15, 2013
This place developed my research skills and taught me to be a better analyst. The hardest part of the job was finding the right fit for my skills and interests. I wanted to maximize my potential and be in a position of leadership. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I had the opportunity to travel, brief and manage projects.
Pros
excellent job security and benefits
Great govt organization
Expert IT Engineer (Current Employee) –  washington, dcAugust 4, 2015
Excellent, mission oriented organization with true patriots. Varied, exciting work, intelligent coworkers, meaningful projects, and a true sense of making a difference.
An opportunity to serve your country.
Web Administrator (Former Employee) –  Langley, VANovember 6, 2013
It's very different. Basic / Flexible hours. Everything is discreet. Management is not that great. Co-workers are co-workers. If you would like an opportunity to serve your country, this is it.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
lacks leadership.
n/a
Leadership and Political Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 18, 2014
The substance of the work is enjoyable, but there is poor management and poor work-life balance.
Great Environment
Contracting Officer/Business Advisor (Current Employee) –  Virginia, USAApril 10, 2014
Excellent Benefits, great work/life balance. Very stable environment
A great place to work to serve your country!
Polygraph Examiner (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 8, 2014
The CIA offered many opportunities and challenges for professional growth and development. Working as an intelligence officer for the United States offered a great way to serve this country. The interviewing and interrogation skill sets learned here will be carried with me for the rest of my career.

The reason I am looking for a new employer is because my wife recently received a job transfer to the Chicago, IL area. I look forward to serving my new employer with the same dedication and distinction that I served with as an employee for the CIA.
A great place to work with lots of opportunities!
Human Resources Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2015
What I liked about the organization is that you could move around every 2-3 years and get new knowledge and experience. I would never get bored! What I enjoyed most was going out recruiting to the Universities meeting wonderful students.
Pros
Hardwork but great pay!
Cons
Sometimes there is shift work.
A great learning experience for my first assignment
Human Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2012
A typical day started out with tons of emails with requests from just about everyone...I learned to prioritize my work. Management was demanding at first. My co-workers were very helpful and patient. The hardest part of the job was getting use to the volume of work and how to manage my time to complete everything in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the meetings and briefings I attended meeting new and exciting higher level officers.
Pros
very busy and rewarding
Cons
too much correspondence

4.4