Central Market Employee Reviews

very fun work place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2017
Fast paced and easy to learn job. It is a awesome experience, very friendly work environment. Great place for beginners and building with a company. I truly loved my experience.
Pros
discounts on lunch and store food.
Cons
short breaks
Fun work environment and culture.
Store Artist (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 11, 2017
Working there has allowed me to expand my skills as an artist. It also opened me up to a whole new food experience, allowed me to become more open with people, and has brought some amazing people into my life.
Pros
Great benefits, great culture, great food.
Cons
Low pay.
Great Poeple. The Partners are like Family
ORT coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 10, 2017
Fun and hard work
Learned food safety and overall food process
Management is supportive
food culture
Production of all recipes and maintain food safety regulations
The Partners and customers
Pros
Family enviroment
Cons
Small company not much room for growth at this time
Amazing place to work with room to advance
Cashier, Customer Service Desk Rep (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2017
A typical day at work would be answering phone calls, greeting all guests as they enter the store, answering questions for customers in need of assistance, and proscessed returns. I learned how to multitask and how to provide great customer service. The management team dealt with problems efficiently and always kept the customer care in the forefront. The workplace culture was exceptional. They believed in their employees, worked with schedules, and helped each person to excel. The hardest part of the job was trying to make every customer feel like the first customer of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing people you come into contact with, getting free samples of whatever you wanted, and the overall atmosphere.
good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 4, 2017
Good Culture to work in. Work with your school schedule and also good balance with home and work. Great oportunity to move up on company. Offeres full time positions and benefits,
Pros
schedule flexibility.
Cons
Not really any cons.
Great company
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXJuly 12, 2017
Enjoyed working there. Very community based company. Very involved with hunger, veterans and education issues, I found it was challenging at times to be a manager there.
Pros
Fun place to work, always a promotion going on
Cons
friendly work place nice employees
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76107July 9, 2017
Central Market is a productive store and has a friendly work environment. There is room for growth through managerial positions and through department transfer.
Miss this place
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Central Point, ORJune 24, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. The boss was a little overwhelmed with the market at first but she warmed to the routine. Loved the work, the people, the store.
Great place to work, the store is very unique.
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 15, 2017
It is so much fun to try all the different foods and to learn new ways to cook them.

A typical day is very very busy and you must be very accommodating to the customer and move as fast as you can because we are timed as a cashier.

Workplace culture is great, people work there from all over the world.
Pros
Discounts on all HEB and Central Market items, Lunch is 10 percent off.We always have great events through out the year.
Cons
Customers are very picky about how there groceries are bagged, and most of the time we did not have anyone to help us bag the groceries.
Good place to start
Cafe Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TX 76092June 6, 2017
Good place to start working, I would say its a good stepping stone but corporate offices don't really care about you as an individual, growth is stunted and people who have potential are frequently overlooked, turnover is very high.

Want to know more about Central Market?

Ask a question
Central market...
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXMay 31, 2017
I started at Central Market in February. I am currently on Indeed looking for a new job. Central Markets looks and sounds great from when you are hearing about it, but it's not as great as it seems. Heavy lifting. Virtually no discounts until you've been with the company 6 months.
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place to work, management not top notch
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXMay 29, 2017
Great atmosphere, but management and scheduling issues amongst dealing with rude customers definitely hinder enjoying the job. If you choose to be employed here just know that it gets a lot busier than any other grocery store, and be prepared for that.
Good For Temporary Job
Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 28, 2017
Better than average support and opportunities considering it's still a grocery store. Hours aren't that flexible, customers are generally pretty nice, though the hours can be long and grueling. Pays better than average and other employees are incredibly kind and easy to work with.
fast paced and room for advancement
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 24, 2017
Areas of responsibility include:

Leadership, supervision and management of deli employees
Hire, train, evaluate, coach and encourage employees
Work to build relationships with our guests
Manage all other daily operations
Central market
Florist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2017
Great first jobs to have, I learned a lot about customer service, team leading, responsibility, and dead lines. I enjoyed being able to express my artistic floral side.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
No cons
great benefits and pay-terrible teamwork and negativity
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 21, 2017
Employees (Partners) were not pro-active in problem solving, point fingers/gossip/avoid responsibilities and overall did not enjoy being helpful towards customers when it did not suite them or their needs. The FOH and BOH constantly argue and blame each other for any short comings or mistakes. They do not work together to problem-solve and complain constantly. The chef and production team do not encourage collaboration between the departments in an effort to be creative, increase sales and personalize the customer experience. I found the kitchen to be unsanitary (dressings, sauces, food drippings from one shelf onto other food products on the shelves below, cross-contamination of scoops/ladles/bowls, etc and those items being left submerged in the food in those containers, handling ready-to-eat food w/o gloves, wearing dirty aprons in and outside, etc). Upper management is not consistent-verbally say one thing behind closed doors but the lack of follow-thru proved to be unsupported, making new ideas/efforts difficult to get the department employees to embrace. They promote a positive "partner" culture, but I found many of the employee attitudes to be lazy, self-serving and unfriendly unfortunately.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
toxic work environment
N/a
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 16, 2017
This company was a positive team work environment.

Provide first class customer service always had a balance between being their for customer and employees.
Lots of "stuff" and a free turkey too!
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  PlanoMay 11, 2017
Some department managers, like my own were great, some were a waste of space, waste of time and a waste of life. Those are mainly the store managers. The DIRECTORS! They are seldom on the same page and are only concerned with justifying their own existence. My area Director, was great until they became a Director. CM is very top heavy. Too many chiefs. And the managers are ALWAYS in meetings.

Great benefits, great PTO and vacation programs, a free turkey, hot and cold running samples, opening and closing shifts were great; but mid shifts ruined my entire day. Most of the clientele is appreciative and fun to work with, a few are absolutely fantastic and will make your day and then there are some....you know, those people. It's retail!

I came to CM from a very different environment. The most valuable thing I learned at CM was watching my department manager navigate the vast amount of "stuff" that is the operational side of CM. They learned how to navigate the politics and ride the wave and tried to insulate us from most of the stuff. While I knew all about riding that stuff long before I came to CM, it was fun and informative to watch them maneuver around the stuff and in some cases manipulate that same stuff to our department's benefit.

The hardest part of the job were "those" guests, the moody ones that are always mad at life. Then there were those Directors who were jockeying for position in an attempt to move ahead creating more stuff in their wake, the Millennial trainees that can't manage there own lives, but "managed" to raise their hands and yell
  more... "pick me" when CM was looking for someone to go through THE program. "CMU"
Whenever the owner and entourage visit the store, the Directors run around in circles and act like it's the second coming; "is he here, have you seen him, what did he say"?

If you are lucky enough to have a deep knowledge of the product that you are selling when you join CM, life can be pretty easy. Taking care of the guests, the department, the back stock, the signage, the details is fun and can make the hours pass quickly if you do the job. It's the stuff that can get in the way. That's where a manager like the one I worked with can really make things better.

Where ever you go, learn to ride and master the "stuff".
Pros
Free turkeys at Thanksgiving. OT on Thanksgiving, Labor Day and Christmas eve.
Cons
Management top heavy, not on the same page. No communciation, bad technology, reactive culture.
Fun and rewarding workplace
Dairy Stocker (Former Employee) –  Detroit Lakes, MNMay 8, 2017
They compromise with you and your hours so you are not over worked, very fun atmosphere. They are understanding about days off you need if you have an event. They are also very good about switching shifts if an emergency happens.
Amazing Place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2017
It is an amazing place to work at with an amazing group of team members who are always eager to help you. There is always something new in the works and the weeks are always a surprise.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Market. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval