Central Market

Central Market Employer Reviews

Good transitional position
Service Associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 22, 2015
Pros: working environment
Cons: schedule
Good transitional job. Learned customer service, bits and pieces of the food service industry. Enjoyed my coworkers. Enjoyed talent they had for entertainment.
Good Work Atmosphere
Cheese Shop Partner (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 13, 2015
Pros: good culture, good customers, good pay
Cons: needy customers
There is an excellent culture of service at Central Market. They are selective but pay their employees well and the results are evident. Most partners are very knowledgeable which is important because the customer base has a very high aggregate food IQ. That can be both challenging and enjoyable.
Good Co-workers, Clean place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 3, 2015
Pros: job friendly, interact with customers about the product
Cons: poor management
The production amount is different every day. I think after a week the job just seems too easy and nothing is impossible to do at work hours. The hardest part about the job would be on holidays, work just seems like it won't end which is good since i love to work hard.
Great company to work for.
Cashier (Current Employee), Southlake, TXFebruary 13, 2015
I have never loved working anywhere as much as I've loved working at Central Market. Not only is the company a great one to work for, but the people that work for the company, from my co-workers to the CEO, are all great, friendly people.
Great experience
HEB Front of the House Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2015
Good opportunity for a foodie to get a career, great coworkers and management is okay. Have to have patience to deal with the River Oaks crowd. I learned so much about the food industry and CM will do just about anything for you
Fast paced, educational work of place
Customer Service Specialist/ Bookkeeping Manager (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TexasJanuary 19, 2015
Fast paced environment with friendly customers. You're able to learn something new every day while working.
Great place to work while in school.
Lead Gift Designer (Former Employee), Plano, TXJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great benefits, lots of food education, great company culture
Cons: depending on your department this company may suck, terrible salary increases
This ended up being the longest and best job I've ever held (7 years). I did work in a specialty department, so I had limited interaction with customers which I preferred, and I had a creative outlet as my job. The health insurance was great. The accrual of sick time was a good method, and they awarded vacation time at the beginning of the year. They had people to come in to explain your benefits and do health screenings. There were countless food education courses, and we received a discount on cooking classes. Get a discount on store brand products both CM and HEB.(the store brand is vast on everything from supplements to salsa and excellent if you are wondering) If you are a true or aspiring foodie this is a spectacular place to work.

I will say that it took me to be promoted before I started to make decent money. The raises were always very small amounts (e.g. 27 cents once) before I was promoted, so try to get hired at a decent rate to begin with.

I had some terrible managers but try to find a place without those. I never intended to move in to upper management, but I had several colleaugues that did. Management has a mandatory 50 hour week and can be extremely demanding because these are high volume stores.
If you embrace the culture this can be a magical place to work. (Yes magical)
Not the same company I signed on with.
Kitchen Production (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXDecember 1, 2014
When I first started, Central Market was all about taking risks. They didn't care about making money, they just wanted the ultimate food experience fr their customers and employees. Now it seems, they are willing to cut back on essentials like labor to continue to make money and not give the same love and passion they did that first drew me into the company.
Fun diverse environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 10, 2014
This company provides a fun and fast paced diverse work place
Easy-going and Adventureous
Commercial Artist (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 16, 2014
Pros: easy-going, helpful, generous, tactful, genuine, adequate break times
Cons: uniforms
Leading up to this November, I have been working for Central Market for a year. This company is a great combination of caring employees, helpful management, easy-going atmosphere, and genuinely like a second family. As a Commercial Artist, I spend my weeks designing advertisements that are received the day before the date issued to the public. For the advertisements, there is a combination of typography and illustration to provide customers the knowledge on the weekly specials. It is tough since I draw out every design using chalk paint markers, but over time I have learned to hone my ability to express the desired results. The most enjoyable part about this job, other than the perks we receive weekly from the company, is that when I have managers come up to my office to compliment how much my work has made a difference to sales.
Great Company, Great Environment
Service Trainer/Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits, and comparable pay
Cons: high paced retail environment, no weekends off
Central Market is owned by HEB. The environment of the Houston store is marvelous, and is fueled by the constant encouragement to grow and do more.
Great View ,, Beautiful Environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch, managers are nice, get along with everyone
Cons: 30 min break, on a 10 hour shift
A typical day at work, we worked as a team i love it but i wasn't rewarded enough for how hard i worked, they gave me best customer service award, but the pay was too little to be working in Manhattan, easiest part of the job making the customers smile and come back and order again. the hardest part rush hour ,, when customers didnt get their food and they walked away with nothing.
good people to work with
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: discount on certain food items
Cons: short breaks, same thing everyday day
A normal 8 hour shift would consist of me checking out customers throughout the day while providing good service to each and every one of them. cleaning up when needed and getting everything done before close
Excellent treatment of employees
Customer Service (Former Employee), Poulsbo, WAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: management, organizational skills.
A typical work day here consisted of bagging groceries, retrieving products for customers, cleaning the store, putting inventory back where it belongs. The management here was fantastic, they were flexible and always wanted us to learn more.
My favorite part to this job was the organization of bagging groceries. Its a process that they teach you when you get hired on and it was by far the best part.
nice place
Sales Specialist, Cashier and Customer Services (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2014
job security and great culture. there is no grow for who want to advance to next level.
lovely enviroment
manager felix (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: friendly work space
Cons: poor business decisions
i really enjoyed working here brought a lot of smiles to the customers an the work place was delightful
Management gets away with whatever they want.
Receiving Specalist (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 10, 2014
Pros: good first job to have, good insurance 401k if you are full time.
Cons: not enough in pay for the work you perform. managers are not there to help you.
Opened the first central market in 1994 stayed there until 96 when a overzealous female manager who was newly graduated from Harvard University wanted to make her mark in this business. She did not last long herself. I was forced into resigning my position. With pleasure!

Went back to work for Central Market at the Westgate location from 2010 to 2011 that was a big mistake, worked in receiving under the management of a disturbed red headed woman that is probably still there. Changed departments to get away from that particular manager but still fired by her just because she was having a bad day.

Overall, if you're in your early 20's either in high school or college years it's a decent place to work. The only way to get promoted from within in this business is to kiss the right a**. Sorry but that's just the way it is. Don't try to climb the ladder because there is not one. If you want to get into management, apply for it before you work for the company. Fair warning.

If you choose to work there do not let managers overstep their boundaries, there are 1 800 numbers in the break room to call. They are confidential and I strongly advise using them. management will stick up for management, you are on your own.
good co workers with good health benifits
Maintenance (Current Employee), Southlake, TXJuly 2, 2014
Pros: doing what i like to do, work with good co workers, get a good health care for my family and i
Cons: i don't really have a say on what shifts i want, or what place i want to work in.
The supervisors letting me know where to clean, I've been asking to stay at the bakery, since the job isn't as back braking and stressful as maintenance sometimes can be. I have made a lot of wonderful friends at Central Market. I really do enjoy doing what I do it's just sometimes the pressure of all my responsibilities weigh me down.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 29, 2014
After being a 'stay at home' mom for 22 years, the hardest thing for me to do was to figure out how to apply for a job and to prepare myself for the chance (likelihood) that I would not get job offers from some (many) places.

The interview process at Central Market was fun. We interacted with other applicants and therefore ended up making friends in the process of interviewing for a job.

The hardest part of the job itself was learning how to use the cash register! Once I figured it out and was comfortable with it, the rest of the job was easy.

Visiting with the customers was the best part of the job.

I learned that I am a good, kind, capable employee. I learned that I can do pretty much anything if given the right tools.
Family bonding until you got hospital sick.
Food Service Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 14, 2014
It was good in the beginning until my health became the issue as well as a drama "actress" of hysteria from a customer.

1 2 3 4

About Central Market

Working here is more than a job. It's a chance work with many great people and blaze an exciting career path. Our employees are – Read more

Central Market Salaries